zend_mm_heap corrupted

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

zend_mm_heap corrupted

demiankatz

After deploying a beta of my ZF2-based application into production using PHP 5.4.11, I’ve run into problems with the application breaking and filling the Apache error logs with “zend_mm_heap corrupted” messages.  I’ve never seen this before, though perhaps it is somehow related to PHP version; I’ve done most of my development work with 5.3.10.  Based on this StackOverflow thread:

 

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2247977/what-does-zend-mm-heap-corrupted-mean

 

…it seems that the causes and solutions for this problem are not well understood.

 

It does seem that sometimes the problem can be (but isn’t necessarily) related to use of traits – obviously my own code does not do this since I developed on 5.3.x, but could the issue be related to some of the 5.4-detection logic in the framework itself?

 

I’ll have to try some of the StackOverflow php.ini suggestions to see if I can get rid of the problem, but in the meantime, I thought I would check and see if anyone else had encountered this with ZF2, and if so, whether you had any recommendations.

 

thanks,

Demian

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: zend_mm_heap corrupted

Artur Bodera
Try disabling some/all extensions. If that helps, try narrowing down the offending ones and update them (or reconfigure, or recompile, or replace).
This helped me the other day.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: zend_mm_heap corrupted

Mike Willbanks
In reply to this post by demiankatz
Demian,

Are you running APC?  If so which version?

Regards,

Mike


On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 5:45 AM, Demian Katz <[hidden email]> wrote:

After deploying a beta of my ZF2-based application into production using PHP 5.4.11, I’ve run into problems with the application breaking and filling the Apache error logs with “zend_mm_heap corrupted” messages.  I’ve never seen this before, though perhaps it is somehow related to PHP version; I’ve done most of my development work with 5.3.10.  Based on this StackOverflow thread:

 

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2247977/what-does-zend-mm-heap-corrupted-mean

 

…it seems that the causes and solutions for this problem are not well understood.

 

It does seem that sometimes the problem can be (but isn’t necessarily) related to use of traits – obviously my own code does not do this since I developed on 5.3.x, but could the issue be related to some of the 5.4-detection logic in the framework itself?

 

I’ll have to try some of the StackOverflow php.ini suggestions to see if I can get rid of the problem, but in the meantime, I thought I would check and see if anyone else had encountered this with ZF2, and if so, whether you had any recommendations.

 

thanks,

Demian


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: zend_mm_heap corrupted

demiankatz

I didn’t actually realize that I was running APC, but I was – apparently it got pulled in by default as part of the Yum package!  It’s version 3.1.14, for what that’s worth.

 

- Demian

 

From: Mike Willbanks [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:21 PM
To: Demian Katz
Cc: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [zf-contributors] zend_mm_heap corrupted

 

Demian,

 

Are you running APC?  If so which version?

 

Regards,

 

Mike

 

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 5:45 AM, Demian Katz <[hidden email]> wrote:

After deploying a beta of my ZF2-based application into production using PHP 5.4.11, I’ve run into problems with the application breaking and filling the Apache error logs with “zend_mm_heap corrupted” messages.  I’ve never seen this before, though perhaps it is somehow related to PHP version; I’ve done most of my development work with 5.3.10.  Based on this StackOverflow thread:

 

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2247977/what-does-zend-mm-heap-corrupted-mean

 

…it seems that the causes and solutions for this problem are not well understood.

 

It does seem that sometimes the problem can be (but isn’t necessarily) related to use of traits – obviously my own code does not do this since I developed on 5.3.x, but could the issue be related to some of the 5.4-detection logic in the framework itself?

 

I’ll have to try some of the StackOverflow php.ini suggestions to see if I can get rid of the problem, but in the meantime, I thought I would check and see if anyone else had encountered this with ZF2, and if so, whether you had any recommendations.

 

thanks,

Demian

 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: zend_mm_heap corrupted

weierophinney
Administrator
On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Demian Katz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I didn’t actually realize that I was running APC, but I was – apparently it
> got pulled in by default as part of the Yum package!  It’s version 3.1.14,
> for what that’s worth.

If you're running APC under PHP 5.4, that could be your culprit; I've
heard many reports of it being unstable with that PHP version.


> From: Mike Willbanks [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:21 PM
> To: Demian Katz
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [zf-contributors] zend_mm_heap corrupted
>
>
>
> Demian,
>
>
>
> Are you running APC?  If so which version?
>
>
>
> Regards,
>
>
>
> Mike
>
>
>
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 5:45 AM, Demian Katz <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> After deploying a beta of my ZF2-based application into production using PHP
> 5.4.11, I’ve run into problems with the application breaking and filling the
> Apache error logs with “zend_mm_heap corrupted” messages.  I’ve never seen
> this before, though perhaps it is somehow related to PHP version; I’ve done
> most of my development work with 5.3.10.  Based on this StackOverflow
> thread:
>
>
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2247977/what-does-zend-mm-heap-corrupted-mean
>
>
>
> …it seems that the causes and solutions for this problem are not well
> understood.
>
>
>
> It does seem that sometimes the problem can be (but isn’t necessarily)
> related to use of traits – obviously my own code does not do this since I
> developed on 5.3.x, but could the issue be related to some of the
> 5.4-detection logic in the framework itself?
>
>
>
> I’ll have to try some of the StackOverflow php.ini suggestions to see if I
> can get rid of the problem, but in the meantime, I thought I would check and
> see if anyone else had encountered this with ZF2, and if so, whether you had
> any recommendations.
>
>
>
> thanks,
>
> Demian
>
>



--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
Project Lead            | [hidden email]
Zend Framework          | http://framework.zend.com/
PGP key: http://framework.zend.com/zf-matthew-pgp-key.asc
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: zend_mm_heap corrupted

Mike Willbanks
> I didn’t actually realize that I was running APC, but I was – apparently it
> got pulled in by default as part of the Yum package!  It’s version 3.1.14,
> for what that’s worth.

If you're running APC under PHP 5.4, that could be your culprit; I've
heard many reports of it being unstable with that PHP version.

APC does run with PHP 5.4 but it sometimes takes a bit of care.  There is a huge bug with APC 3.1.14 and it was actually removed from PECL: http://pecl.php.net/package/APC

You will want to download and install APC 3.1.13 and force install it over the previous APC installation.

Regards,

Mike