search while waiting for lucene

Daniel Andersson-5
not sure if this is the right place, but people seem to be trying out
the port of lucene (which is good), but quite a few seem to be
running into problems since it's not complete yet

while waiting for the port to be finished (and all bugs to be ironed
out), i can recommend Xapian (http://www.xapian.org/)

it requires a recompilation but it's fast, schweet and seems to
require much less ram to index and search (and as far as i've
understood, it's also faster at both indexing and searching (flame me
to hell!))

/ d

Re: search while waiting for lucene

Andi Gutmans
It's GPL licensed which makes it useless to any PHP user as it's
incompatible with the PHP license.

Andi

At 12:28 PM 5/15/2006, Daniel Andersson wrote:

>not sure if this is the right place, but people seem to be trying out
>the port of lucene (which is good), but quite a few seem to be
>running into problems since it's not complete yet
>
>while waiting for the port to be finished (and all bugs to be ironed
>out), i can recommend Xapian (http://www.xapian.org/)
>
>it requires a recompilation but it's fast, schweet and seems to
>require much less ram to index and search (and as far as i've
>understood, it's also faster at both indexing and searching (flame me
>to hell!))
>
>/ d

Re: search while waiting for lucene

Jim Wordelman
Please forgive my lack of law understanding, but how exactly do the GPL
and PHP license conflict? Does that apply to the LGPL also? I heard of
this, but never understood it since so many PHP apps seem to carry the GPL.

Thank you.

PS. I never liked Xapian as much as I thought I should since it doesn't
really update nicely.

Andi Gutmans wrote:

> It's GPL licensed which makes it useless to any PHP user as it's
> incompatible with the PHP license.
>
> Andi
>
> At 12:28 PM 5/15/2006, Daniel Andersson wrote:
>> not sure if this is the right place, but people seem to be trying out
>> the port of lucene (which is good), but quite a few seem to be
>> running into problems since it's not complete yet
>>
>> while waiting for the port to be finished (and all bugs to be ironed
>> out), i can recommend Xapian (http://www.xapian.org/)
>>
>> it requires a recompilation but it's fast, schweet and seems to
>> require much less ram to index and search (and as far as i've
>> understood, it's also faster at both indexing and searching (flame me
>> to hell!))
>>
>> / d

Re: search while waiting for lucene

Derick Rethans-4
On Mon, 15 May 2006, Andi Gutmans wrote:

> It's GPL licensed which makes it useless to any PHP user as it's incompatible
> with the PHP license.

Uh? That is not really true Andi. You can create an extension for Xapian
just fine and use that with PHP. The only thing is that we (the PHP
project) can not host those extension in PECL or in our repository.

Derick

Derick Rethans
http://derickrethans.nl | http://ez.no | http://xdebug.org

Re: search while waiting for lucene

Andi Gutmans
Of course it's true. GPL is viral and we are not allowed to link
against GPL code. If we don't do it but our end-user then they are
violating the GPL.
We never do this in PHP except for LGPL or one place (bcmath) where
the author gave us explicit permission (and later he actually moved
to LGPL IIRC).
Andi

At 12:29 AM 5/16/2006, Derick Rethans wrote:

>On Mon, 15 May 2006, Andi Gutmans wrote:
>
> > It's GPL licensed which makes it useless to any PHP user as it's
> incompatible
> > with the PHP license.
>
>Uh? That is not really true Andi. You can create an extension for Xapian
>just fine and use that with PHP. The only thing is that we (the PHP
>project) can not host those extension in PECL or in our repository.
>
>Derick
>
> > At 12:28 PM 5/15/2006, Daniel Andersson wrote:
> > >not sure if this is the right place, but people seem to be trying out
> > >the port of lucene (which is good), but quite a few seem to be
> > >running into problems since it's not complete yet
> > >
> > >while waiting for the port to be finished (and all bugs to be ironed
> > >out), i can recommend Xapian (http://www.xapian.org/)
> > >
> > >it requires a recompilation but it's fast, schweet and seems to
> > >require much less ram to index and search (and as far as i've
> > >understood, it's also faster at both indexing and searching (flame me
> > >to hell!))
> > >
> > >/ d
> >

>--
>Derick Rethans
>http://derickrethans.nl | http://ez.no | http://xdebug.org

RE: search while waiting for lucene

Jared Williams-3

Don't believe that's strictly true, if you keep the modified version completely private, you are free todo as you want, I believe.
But for a search engine, well that pretty much cripples it interms of who can use it. :)

Jared

> Of course it's true. GPL is viral and we are not allowed to
> link against GPL code. If we don't do it but our end-user
> then they are violating the GPL.
> We never do this in PHP except for LGPL or one place (bcmath)
> where the author gave us explicit permission (and later he
> actually moved to LGPL IIRC).
> Andi
>
> At 12:29 AM 5/16/2006, Derick Rethans wrote:
> >On Mon, 15 May 2006, Andi Gutmans wrote:
> >
> > > It's GPL licensed which makes it useless to any PHP user as it's
> > incompatible
> > > with the PHP license.
> >
> >Uh? That is not really true Andi. You can create an extension for
> >Xapian just fine and use that with PHP. The only thing is
> that we (the
> >PHP
> >project) can not host those extension in PECL or in our repository.
> >
> >Derick

> be trying
> seem to be

> searching (flame

> >--
> >Derick Rethans
> >http://derickrethans.nl | http://ez.no | http://xdebug.org

Re: Data interchange formats

Matthew Ratzloff
So... is it fair to say that this idea generated zero interest from the
Zend folks?

-Matt

Re: Data interchange formats

Chris Hartjes
Not to be picky here but it's only been a day...and I'm sure they're
reading the list just as fast as they can. :)

--
Chris Hartjes

"The greatest inefficiencies come from solving problems you will never have."
-- Rasmus Lerdorf

@TheBallpark - http://www.littlehart.net/attheballpark
@TheKeyboard - http://www.littlehart.net/atthekeyboard

http://www.stefankoopmanschap.nl/
http://www.leftontheweb.com/

Re: Data interchange formats

Matthew Ratzloff
Stefan,

> Maybe it would be good to write up an official proposal? I'd happily try
> to work with you on that, as I really like the idea.

Sounds good.  I was trying to gauge interest before I wrote one up, but I
suppose it couldn't hurt to just go ahead and do it.  I'll probably try to
come with something over lunch today to send over to you.

Thanks,

-Matt