re: Smarty, backhanded notoriety, and production readiness...

re: Smarty, backhanded notoriety, and production readiness...

OpenMacNews-2

hi all,

well, since i've apparently gained some unwanted/unwarranted notoriety
on "This Week in ZF ...":

        "OpenMacNews was back with us this week after his record breaking week
last week ... He?s still fighting with integrating Smarty and ZF"

I should probly mention that, after f'ing around with Smarty + ZF --
which, btw, i've been generally a big fan of -- I've decided to abandon
it completely, have a stiff drink while chanting " keep your business &
view logic separate/clean" and move back to old-school-do-it-all-in PHP.

generally, Smarty was becoming a losing proposition on performance
features, which were some of the attractions in the first place ...
eAccelerator integration as cache handler is broken for latest eA api,
slot caching support has now-verified path conflicts with ZF, etc etc

actually, now, things are moving along much more quickly for me wrt my
site-on-ZF exploration.

also, thinking abt the posts here abt: "is zf production ready?"

in parallel to this ZF merry-go-round, i took a detour into symfony --
primarily cuz it's so incredibly well documented.  or so it appeared.

it's perfect for out-of-the-box operation.  but, at least for me,
getting it up & running in a non-standard config, w/ my own instances of
all the 3rd party dependencies (creole, phing, pake, propel, ... )
 turned out to be ... er ... an undocumented challenge.

i gotta tell ya -- ZF, even as its evolving, "feels right" for
implementing a site.  though the lack of documentation is a niggling
annoyance, that'll change, and there *is* this forum for now ...

and, ultimately, the fact-on-the-ground -- again, 4 me -- is simply, i
can get a working site up-n-running (initially) far faster in ZF.

the devli'll be in the details of if/when/how the "real meaty classes"
get implemented ...

so, here's hoping for some more pillory-ing in "This Week ..." ! ;-)

cheers,

richard

- --

/"\
\ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 X   against HTML email, vCards
/ \  & micro$oft attachments

[GPG] OpenMacNews at gmail dot com
fingerprint: 50C9 1C46 2F8F DE42 2EDB  D460 95F7 DDBD 3671 08C6

Re: re: Smarty, backhanded notoriety, and production readiness...

Paul M Jones
Hi all,

> I should probly mention that, after f'ing around with Smarty + ZF --
> which, btw, i've been generally a big fan of -- I've decided to
> abandon
> it completely, have a stiff drink while chanting " keep your
> business &
> view logic separate/clean" and move back to old-school-do-it-all-in
> PHP.

I cannot tell you how much this warms my heart.  Welcome to the True
Path.  ;-)

(Time to have a drink myself, now that you mention it.)

--

Paul M. Jones  <http://paul-m-jones.com>

Solar: Simple Object Library and Application Repository
for PHP5.   <http://solarphp.com>

Savant: The simple, elegant, and powerful solution for
templates in PHP.   <http://phpsavant.com>

On May 16, 2006, at 7:09 PM, OpenMacNews wrote:

> On 5/16/06 Paul M Jones wrote:
>> I cannot tell you how much this warms my heart.  Welcome to the
>> True Path.   ;-)
>
> heh. well, i suppose NOW, i'm gonna HAVETA read up on savant :-)

Much as I welcome the interest :-) Zend_View is a very close cousin
to Savant, and probably more appropriate to the subjects of this
mailing list:

     http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/zend.view.html

>> (Time to have a drink myself, now that you mention it.)
>
> nazdrowje!

Prost!

--

Paul M. Jones  <http://paul-m-jones.com>

Solar: Simple Object Library and Application Repository
for PHP5.   <http://solarphp.com>

Savant: The simple, elegant, and powerful solution for
templates in PHP.   <http://phpsavant.com>

Re: re: Smarty, backhanded notoriety, and production readiness...

OpenMacNews-2

Re: re: Smarty, backhanded notoriety, and production readiness...

cyberlot
Savant is great ;) I use it in most of my projects.

The only places I stick to something like smarty is when the html is
"user" editable and therefore requires an extra layer of protection to
prevent php code from being run.

And even this can be done with savant through its plugin system if you
wish to build your own parser.

Richard Thomas - CEO
Cyberlot Technologies Group Inc.
507.398.4124 - Voice