Quantcast

new ZF 2.0 status report?

Ralf Eggert
Hi,

the last 2.0 status report was sent more than two months ago. I would
love to read an update. What is the status of the proposals and
milestones? I don't want to read a full-blown essay, just a couple of
sentences on the main topics would be more than enough. Matthew? Ralph?
Any one?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Ralf

Re: new ZF 2.0 status report?

Marc Bennewitz (private)
I also would love to get a new status report of zf2 !

Additionally I would love to get some response and/or other ideas for my
Zend Cache 2.0 proposal ;)
->
http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend+Cache+2.0+-+Marc+Bennewitz

Greetings
Marc

On 04.12.2010 21:48, Ralf Eggert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the last 2.0 status report was sent more than two months ago. I would
> love to read an update. What is the status of the proposals and
> milestones? I don't want to read a full-blown essay, just a couple of
> sentences on the main topics would be more than enough. Matthew? Ralph?
> Any one?
>
> Thanks in advance and best regards,
>
> Ralf

Re: new ZF 2.0 status report?

Ralph Schindler-2
Hey Ralf,

The last on-mailing list status report was indeed in October.  I think
with the hustle and bustle of ZendCon, we did not put the report in the
mailing list.

Effectively, we did a web broadcast presentation at ZendCon that talked
about the status of 2.0.  It was suppose to be only Matthew, but
laryngitis got the best of him and I took part as well.  In any case, I
can give you a short update here, and a lengthier one this week.
Exceptions were merged into master as well as the refactorings into
Zend\Loader (Autoloader and PluginLoader components).

If you go to our slides from the presentations:

http://www.slideshare.net/weierophinney/introducing-zend-framework-20

Slide 56 has a link to the Announcement:

http://framework.zend.com/announcements/2010-11-03-zf2dev2

Hope this gives you some clarity while we figure out our status report
schedule for the next few months.

Cheers,
Ralph

On 12/4/10 2:48 PM, Ralf Eggert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the last 2.0 status report was sent more than two months ago. I would
> love to read an update. What is the status of the proposals and
> milestones? I don't want to read a full-blown essay, just a couple of
> sentences on the main topics would be more than enough. Matthew? Ralph?
> Any one?
>
> Thanks in advance and best regards,
>
> Ralf

Re: new ZF 2.0 status report?

-- Ralf Eggert <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Saturday, 04 December 2010, 09:48 PM +0100):
> the last 2.0 status report was sent more than two months ago. I would
> love to read an update. What is the status of the proposals and
> milestones? I don't want to read a full-blown essay, just a couple of
> sentences on the main topics would be more than enough. Matthew? Ralph?
> Any one?

My apologies -- there was a ton of buzz around ZendCon, and then getting
the next Bug Hunt and 1.11.1 out the door, and US holidays... I simply
have forgotten.

As Ralph noted, a lot of stuff was covered in the presentation from
ZendCon. I've got an inquiry in to see if/when we might see a recording
put up so all can view it.

Since then, and since 1.11.1 was released, Ralph and I have been
prototyping some code variations for the MVC in ZF2. Today and tomorrow,
we're going to look at how each solves the various requirements laid out
in the ZF2 requirements, as well as the feedback (read: issues) we've
received on ZF1; from there, by mid-week, we hope to get a list of
proposals out the door for various aspects of the MVC. Once we have
community consensus (I'd like that by end-of-year), we'll start coding
in earnest on the MVC.

In the meantime, one aspect I've been working on is a set of unified
interfaces for common, generic aspects of the MVC that can be shared
with other projects; this was begun out of conversations I've had with
both Fabien Potencier from Symfony and David Zuilke from Agavi. That
work can be seen here:

    http://github.com/weierophinney/fig-library

with some potential ZF implementations as seen here:

    https://github.com/weierophinney/fig-library/tree/feature/zf-implementation

There's still a ways to go on these -- I've identified a need for the
following:

 * Cookie integration in both request and response objects
 * Specialized Cache-Control header object for responses (which would
   actually cover several headers, including ETag, etc.)
 * Potentially session integration in both request and response objects
 * Potentially a "routing results" property for the request object
 * Potentially the ability to pull parameters from the PathInfo
 * Potentially PUT integration in the Request object
 * Potentially Accept/Content-Type integration in the Request object

As such, there's clearly some work to be done to finalize these. That
said, the implementations I've done have shown that the approach is
incredibly flexible, and simplifies a number of operations.

If you have any feedback on these interfaces, I'd love to hear from you.

Re: new ZF 2.0 status report?

Marc Bennewitz (private)
Hi Matthew,

Do you have any plans handling page cache within mvc ?
I also included E-Tag handling on it with in Zend\Cache\Pattern\PageCache
see
http://github.com/marc-mabe/zf2/blob/cache/library/Zend/Cache/Pattern/PageCache.php

Greetings,
Marc

On 06.12.2010 17:15, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:

> -- Ralf Eggert <[hidden email]> wrote
> (on Saturday, 04 December 2010, 09:48 PM +0100):
>> the last 2.0 status report was sent more than two months ago. I would
>> love to read an update. What is the status of the proposals and
>> milestones? I don't want to read a full-blown essay, just a couple of
>> sentences on the main topics would be more than enough. Matthew? Ralph?
>> Any one?
> My apologies -- there was a ton of buzz around ZendCon, and then getting
> the next Bug Hunt and 1.11.1 out the door, and US holidays... I simply
> have forgotten.
>
> As Ralph noted, a lot of stuff was covered in the presentation from
> ZendCon. I've got an inquiry in to see if/when we might see a recording
> put up so all can view it.
>
> Since then, and since 1.11.1 was released, Ralph and I have been
> prototyping some code variations for the MVC in ZF2. Today and tomorrow,
> we're going to look at how each solves the various requirements laid out
> in the ZF2 requirements, as well as the feedback (read: issues) we've
> received on ZF1; from there, by mid-week, we hope to get a list of
> proposals out the door for various aspects of the MVC. Once we have
> community consensus (I'd like that by end-of-year), we'll start coding
> in earnest on the MVC.
>
> In the meantime, one aspect I've been working on is a set of unified
> interfaces for common, generic aspects of the MVC that can be shared
> with other projects; this was begun out of conversations I've had with
> both Fabien Potencier from Symfony and David Zuilke from Agavi. That
> work can be seen here:
>
>     http://github.com/weierophinney/fig-library
>
> with some potential ZF implementations as seen here:
>
>     https://github.com/weierophinney/fig-library/tree/feature/zf-implementation
>
> There's still a ways to go on these -- I've identified a need for the
> following:
>
>  * Cookie integration in both request and response objects
>  * Specialized Cache-Control header object for responses (which would
>    actually cover several headers, including ETag, etc.)
>  * Potentially session integration in both request and response objects
>  * Potentially a "routing results" property for the request object
>  * Potentially the ability to pull parameters from the PathInfo
>  * Potentially PUT integration in the Request object
>  * Potentially Accept/Content-Type integration in the Request object
>
> As such, there's clearly some work to be done to finalize these. That
> said, the implementations I've done have shown that the approach is
> incredibly flexible, and simplifies a number of operations.
>
> If you have any feedback on these interfaces, I'd love to hear from you.

Re: new ZF 2.0 status report?

Artur Ejsmont
Hi there Marc

Code looks interesting, only the depths of ifs look a bit scary to me ; -).

Would it be possible to see some use cases (client code) or maybe some
sequence diagram. That would help imagine who would be calling the
page cache and how would it look like. Or maybe an activity diagram
showing how page cache behaves based on what conditions?

Sorry for making so much trouble. I believe it would be a great value
to have a page cache solution out of the box ready coming with ZF2 !

good stuff.

Art

Visit me at:
http://artur.ejsmont.org/blog/

Re: new ZF 2.0 status report?

Ralf Eggert
Hi Ralph,

thanks for the news. I somehow must have missed the announcement of the
zf2dev2 release. That announcement answered a lot of questions. Thanks
for that!

Best regards,

Ralf

Re: new ZF 2.0 status report?

Ralf Eggert
Hi Matthew,

thanks for the great news. Sounds quite good and I am looking forward to
hear and see more of that stuff...

Best regards,

Ralf

Re: new ZF 2.0 status report?

Marc Bennewitz (private)
Hi Artur,

I added a use case "PageCache + ETag" to make it more clear.
->
http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend+Cache+2.0+-+Marc+Bennewitz#deck:Pattern

Greetings,
Marc