hello there

Anton Stöckl
Hi Folks,

I have just sent my CLA and received the processing notification.
My issue tracker user is: flytony

I'd like to work on the Service\Yahoo component for ZF2 which seems to
have no maintainer at all!?

Here is what I have done so far:

- forked the zf2 git and started working in my clone
- ported all the component code to namespace notation
- added a function "placeFinderSearch" which I have done some months ago
- ported the offline unit tests to use the namespaced files

Do To:

- run the unit tests on my box (might involve some configuration)
- port the online unit tests
- add both off- and online unit tests for my new function

Should not be much work, but
- it's obviously my first contribution to ZF
- I'm totally new to git
- my wife should give birth to our first child this week ;-)

My knowledge/background in PHP and Zend:
- working with ZF for about 2.5 years now
- programming with PHP since version 1
- worked for Yahoo for 7 years and met Rasmus several times ;-)

I hope I can give back something to the community!

I you have any further tips, advises, ... whatever for me, please let me
know!

Best regards, Anton

--
List: [hidden email]

Re: hello there

till-2
On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Anton Stöckl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I have just sent my CLA and received the processing notification.
> My issue tracker user is: flytony
>
> I'd like to work on the Service\Yahoo component for ZF2 which seems to have
> no maintainer at all!?
>
> Here is what I have done so far:
>
> - forked the zf2 git and started working in my clone
> - ported all the component code to namespace notation
> - added a function "placeFinderSearch" which I have done some months ago
> - ported the offline unit tests to use the namespaced files
>
> Do To:
>
> - run the unit tests on my box (might involve some configuration)
> - port the online unit tests
> - add both off- and online unit tests for my new function
>
> Should not be much work, but
> - it's obviously my first contribution to ZF
> - I'm totally new to git
> - my wife should give birth to our first child this week ;-)
>
> My knowledge/background in PHP and Zend:
> - working with ZF for about 2.5 years now
> - programming with PHP since version 1
> - worked for Yahoo for 7 years and met Rasmus several times ;-)
>
> I hope I can give back something to the community!
>
> I you have any further tips, advises, ... whatever for me, please let me
> know!

I have some code to interface with another Yahoo! api (Search Boss).
It's unit tested and just needs to be converted to the namespace etc..
When you get a github repo running, let me know so I can fork and
integrate it.

Till

--
List: [hidden email]

Re: hello there

guilhermeblanco@gmail.com
I'm more in favor to make a compatible API for YQL than for BOSS.

Also, rushmore packages would be great if you could export a reliable API.
Of course that would require tons of changes on component itslef
(since it prints itself, with HTML, JavaScript, etc), but if you can
work close to vitality team, you could grab a sort of API to be used
at the top of OAuth, just like Zend_Service_Twitter.

Finally, sharebox project (Pulse) has a nice implementation for
scraping HTML contents from websites. Maybe you can contact Meme team
guys, since I refactored that component a lot.
It would be useful to provide a thin layer that does the same as
Facebook when you post a URL.

PS: I worked for Y! before. =)

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 8:37 AM, till <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Anton Stöckl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I have just sent my CLA and received the processing notification.
>> My issue tracker user is: flytony
>>
>> I'd like to work on the Service\Yahoo component for ZF2 which seems to have
>> no maintainer at all!?
>>
>> Here is what I have done so far:
>>
>> - forked the zf2 git and started working in my clone
>> - ported all the component code to namespace notation
>> - added a function "placeFinderSearch" which I have done some months ago
>> - ported the offline unit tests to use the namespaced files
>>
>> Do To:
>>
>> - run the unit tests on my box (might involve some configuration)
>> - port the online unit tests
>> - add both off- and online unit tests for my new function
>>
>> Should not be much work, but
>> - it's obviously my first contribution to ZF
>> - I'm totally new to git
>> - my wife should give birth to our first child this week ;-)
>>
>> My knowledge/background in PHP and Zend:
>> - working with ZF for about 2.5 years now
>> - programming with PHP since version 1
>> - worked for Yahoo for 7 years and met Rasmus several times ;-)
>>
>> I hope I can give back something to the community!
>>
>> I you have any further tips, advises, ... whatever for me, please let me
>> know!
>
> I have some code to interface with another Yahoo! api (Search Boss).
> It's unit tested and just needs to be converted to the namespace etc..
> When you get a github repo running, let me know so I can fork and
> integrate it.
>
> Till
>
> --
> List: [hidden email]

Guilherme Blanco
Mobile: +55 (16) 9215-8480
MSN: [hidden email]
São Paulo - SP/Brazil

--
List: [hidden email]

Re: hello there

Anton Stöckl
Hi guys,

@Guilherme:

Is your comment only targeted to Till's Search Boss stuff or does it
involve "my stuff" aka the currently existing Zend\Service\Yahoo code?

On the latter case I'd have to step back as I don't have the time to
rewrite everything from the scratch (remember, we'll have a baby in some
days ;-) ).

The names your dropped "rushmore packages", "Pulse" ... that's all Yahoo
stuff, right?

You worked for Y! Brazil?
I worked on the European content products for Y! Germany.

@Till:

Depending on what you figure out with Guilherme ... I have never had a
look at the BOSS API so I don't know what's the best way to include
that. I surely have a fork of the zf2 repo but not committed my changes
yet (as I'm not done yet).

https://github.com/AntonStoeckl/zf2

Cheers, Anton

On 13.07.2011 16:29, [hidden email] wrote:

> I'm more in favor to make a compatible API for YQL than for BOSS.
>
> Also, rushmore packages would be great if you could export a reliable API.
> Of course that would require tons of changes on component itslef
> (since it prints itself, with HTML, JavaScript, etc), but if you can
> work close to vitality team, you could grab a sort of API to be used
> at the top of OAuth, just like Zend_Service_Twitter.
>
> Finally, sharebox project (Pulse) has a nice implementation for
> scraping HTML contents from websites. Maybe you can contact Meme team
> guys, since I refactored that component a lot.
> It would be useful to provide a thin layer that does the same as
> Facebook when you post a URL.
>
> PS: I worked for Y! before. =)
>
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 8:37 AM, till<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Anton Stöckl<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> I have just sent my CLA and received the processing notification.
>>> My issue tracker user is: flytony
>>>
>>> I'd like to work on the Service\Yahoo component for ZF2 which seems to have
>>> no maintainer at all!?
>>>
>>> Here is what I have done so far:
>>>
>>> - forked the zf2 git and started working in my clone
>>> - ported all the component code to namespace notation
>>> - added a function "placeFinderSearch" which I have done some months ago
>>> - ported the offline unit tests to use the namespaced files
>>>
>>> Do To:
>>>
>>> - run the unit tests on my box (might involve some configuration)
>>> - port the online unit tests
>>> - add both off- and online unit tests for my new function
>>>
>>> Should not be much work, but
>>> - it's obviously my first contribution to ZF
>>> - I'm totally new to git
>>> - my wife should give birth to our first child this week ;-)
>>>
>>> My knowledge/background in PHP and Zend:
>>> - working with ZF for about 2.5 years now
>>> - programming with PHP since version 1
>>> - worked for Yahoo for 7 years and met Rasmus several times ;-)
>>>
>>> I hope I can give back something to the community!
>>>
>>> I you have any further tips, advises, ... whatever for me, please let me
>>> know!
>>
>> I have some code to interface with another Yahoo! api (Search Boss).
>> It's unit tested and just needs to be converted to the namespace etc..
>> When you get a github repo running, let me know so I can fork and
>> integrate it.
>>
>> Till
>>
>> --
>> List: [hidden email]
>> Info: http://framework.zend.com/archives

List: [hidden email]

Re: hello there

guilhermeblanco@gmail.com
Hi!

@Anton

No, it was targeted to possible enhancements to Zend\Service\Yahoo.
It's currently strict to its web search.
One possible enhancement is to also support BOSS, another one is YQL, etc.

Yes, they're all Y! packages. You can just yinst search for their
names on dist. Documentation of them is horrible, but you may find
yourself easily.

Sure, I worked on Y! Meme team. =D

@Till

Creating an API around BOSS is a very interesting idea, but its usage
is a bit strict IMHO.
Also, BOSS isn't stable enough (sometimes it takes until 5 minutes to index).
I think people would love to know the power of YQL. People are too
much strict into individual API's, when they know more about YQL, it'd
be a big boom. =)

Cheers,

Guilherme Blanco
Mobile: +55 (16) 9215-8480
MSN: [hidden email]
São Paulo - SP/Brazil

--
List: [hidden email]

Re: hello there

Anton Stöckl
On 14.07.2011 16:57, [hidden email] wrote:
> No, it was targeted to possible enhancements to Zend\Service\Yahoo.
> It's currently strict to its web search.
> One possible enhancement is to also support BOSS, another one is YQL, etc.
>
> Yes, they're all Y! packages. You can just yinst search for their
> names on dist. Documentation of them is horrible, but you may find
> yourself easily.

Hi Guilherme,

but your talking about additional services, not changing all existing
Zend\Service\Yahoo services into using YQL or so?

In any case I'll finish what I've started for now, push to github and
issue a pull request. If that's replaced by something else later ... so
what, I've done most of the work already.

Regards, Anton

--
List: [hidden email]

Re: hello there

guilhermeblanco@gmail.com
Hi Anton,

I meant additional services.
That's why I poked you first. Your current class diagram focused only
on search web API, while it's just one small part of what Y! APIs have
to offer.

Based on that, I'd rather suggest you to create it as something like:
Zend\Service\Yahoo\SearchWeb
That would allow you later to maybe do: Zend\Service\Yahoo\YQL,
Zend\Service\Yahoo\BOSS, etc.

Cheers,

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 6:39 AM, Anton Stöckl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 14.07.2011 16:57, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> No, it was targeted to possible enhancements to Zend\Service\Yahoo.
>> It's currently strict to its web search.
>> One possible enhancement is to also support BOSS, another one is YQL, etc.
>>
>> Yes, they're all Y! packages. You can just yinst search for their
>> names on dist. Documentation of them is horrible, but you may find
>> yourself easily.
>
> Hi Guilherme,
>
> but your talking about additional services, not changing all existing
> Zend\Service\Yahoo services into using YQL or so?
>
> In any case I'll finish what I've started for now, push to github and issue
> a pull request. If that's replaced by something else later ... so what, I've
> done most of the work already.
>
> Regards, Anton
>
> --
> List: [hidden email]

Guilherme Blanco
Mobile: +55 (11) 8118-4422
MSN: [hidden email]
São Paulo - SP/Brazil

--
List: [hidden email]

Re: hello there

till-2
On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 4:57 PM, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> @Anton
>
> No, it was targeted to possible enhancements to Zend\Service\Yahoo.
> It's currently strict to its web search.
> One possible enhancement is to also support BOSS, another one is YQL, etc.
>
> Yes, they're all Y! packages. You can just yinst search for their
> names on dist. Documentation of them is horrible, but you may find
> yourself easily.
>
> Sure, I worked on Y! Meme team. =D
>

> @Till
>
> Creating an API around BOSS is a very interesting idea, but its usage
> is a bit strict IMHO.
> Also, BOSS isn't stable enough (sometimes it takes until 5 minutes to index).
> I think people would love to know the power of YQL. People are too
> much strict into individual API's, when they know more about YQL, it'd
> be a big boom. =)

Hi,

what we integrated is a commercial API (v2 of the boss api), if that's
what you mean.

We've been using it for a couple weeks now - limitedweb only though.
But my code supports all options available.

I also re-used Zend_OAuth mostly for the 2-legged OAuth that is required.

As for YQL, we were not really interested since we wanted to replace
the Google Search API with this. And from briefly looking at the YQL
docs, I couldn't figure out what tables are supported anyway. We
weren't interested in any of the social media stuff like Flickr or
Delicious, etc.. Generally, I don't think YQL is the one to rule them
all anyway. ;-) There's also the contacts API etc..

Anyhow, I thought that multiple APIs can live in Zend\Service\Yahoo
which is why I offered to contribute my code. I think my OAuth related
things could be interesting since OAuth is the LCD in most Yahoo! APIs
nowadays.

Till

--
List: [hidden email]