Zend_Translate plural forms and poedit

umpirsky
In manual there is an example of modern plural translations:

$translate->translate(array('Car',                            'Cars first plural',                            'Cars second plural',                            $number,                            'ru'));

i use poedit to update translation strings from sources, by searching for translate keyword.

Since this param is an array, poedit can't find it, so it always go to obsolete translations.

Putting keyword translate(array didn't help.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Saša Stamenković

Re: Zend_Translate plural forms and poedit

Thomas Weidner
poEdit can not handle modern plural translations.
It is fixed to english notation (one plural form).

Greetings
Thomas Weidner, I18N Team Leader, Zend Framework
http://www.thomasweidner.com

Saša Stamenković

Re: Zend_Translate plural forms and poedit

umpirsky
Hm, but we should create interfaces that makes translation easier.

Thanks anyway.

Regards,
Saša Stamenković

----- Original Message ----- From: "Саша Стаменковић" <[hidden email]>

Re: Zend_Translate plural forms and poedit

umpirsky
But still, with traditional plural form, poedit works, but is able to parse onlly strings under ngettext, but not pural forms under translate keyword.

Ex:

$translate->plural('Pronađen je %s auto oglas', 'Pronađeno je %s auto oglasa', $count); // Not found

ngettext('Pronađen je %s auto oglas', 'Pronađeno je %s auto oglasa', $count); // found by poedit

I added plural to keywords.

Where did I go wrong?

Do you use parsing from sources at all?

Regards,
Saša Stamenković

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Саша Стаменковић <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hm, but we should create interfaces that makes translation easier.

Thanks anyway.

Regards,
Saša Stamenković

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Thomas Weidner <[hidden email]> wrote:
poEdit can not handle modern plural translations.
It is fixed to english notation (one plural form).

Greetings
Thomas Weidner, I18N Team Leader, Zend Framework
http://www.thomasweidner.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Саша Стаменковић" <[hidden email]>

Re: Zend_Translate plural forms and poedit

ixti
Hello,

Zend_Translate_Adapter_Gettext (used to translate with gettext compatatible
files as translation sources) do not relay on standard functions like
gettext(1) or
ngettext(2) at all. Instead it parses given file line by line.

[1] http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.gettext.php
[2] http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.ngettext.php

--
Sincerely yours,
Aleksey V. Zapparov A.K.A. ixti

*Origin: Happy Hacking!

Re: Zend_Translate plural forms and poedit

Thomas Weidner
Wrong,

Zend_Translate_Adapter_Gettext does not parse files at all.
It reads the binary *.mo file to know what it should translate.

For parsing you need to run gettext's utilities or poEdit (which itself is
very buggy).

--
Sincerely yours,
Aleksey V. Zapparov A.K.A. ixti

*Origin: Happy Hacking!

Re: Zend_Translate plural forms and poedit

umpirsky
I know, but poedit parses files very well when you have ordinary keywords for plural forms. I just don't know how to force it to pick plurals from 'plural' keyword instead from 'ngettext' - that was my question.

Regards,
Saša Stamenković

----- Original Message ----- From: "Aleksey Zapparov" <[hidden email]>

*Origin: Happy Hacking!

Re: Zend_Translate plural forms and poedit

ixti
Hello,

Sorry, seems like I mis-used the word :))
I was sure that reading and processing file the way Adapter does:

112                 fseek($this->_file, $origtemp[$count * 2 + 2]);
113                 $original = @fread($this->_file, $origtemp[$count * 2 + 1]);
114                 $original = explode(chr(00), $original);

called parsing. And, to be honest, I don't see big difference between
processing .mo file and processing .csv file, except with .mo your parser
will be little bit more complicated.

But I may be wrong in terms. Correct me if I'm wrong so next time I'll
distinguish difference (1) and will use correct term. :))

[1] http://xkcd.com/747/

--
Sincerely yours,
Aleksey V. Zapparov A.K.A. ixti

*Origin: Happy Hacking!

Re: Zend_Translate plural forms and poedit

Thomas Weidner
I think you missed the problem itself.

He can not run poEdit to create plural form po files.
This has nothing to do with Zend_Translate_Adapter_Gettext or with how
Zend_Translate parses the translation files.

--
Sincerely yours,
Aleksey V. Zapparov A.K.A. ixti

*Origin: Happy Hacking!

Re: Zend_Translate plural forms and poedit

ixti
Ahh!.. Indeed, sorry.

--
Sincerely yours,
Aleksey V. Zapparov A.K.A. ixti

*Origin: Happy Hacking!

Re: Zend_Translate plural forms and poedit

umpirsky
Yes, but if Zend_Translate have alias method named ngettext() which redelagates to plural(), poedit would be able to parse sources and generate plural forms. I know it's a bit strnage to add it, maybe I can go with overriding Zend_Translate in order to achieve this.

Because even if I do this by hand, on next update from sources string goes to obsolete strings, this is maybe more poedit problem, rather then Zend_Translate problem.

Regards,
Saša Stamenković

Ahh!.. Indeed, sorry.

--