Quantcast

Zend_Mail: in need of inspiration badly

Dolf Schimmel
Hey Guys (and ladies!),

As some of you may have noticed already on either twitter, irc or the
wiki, I've begun gatherIng some ideas for Zend\Mail. So if you have
either ideas for Zend\Mail 2.0 or problems with Zend_Mail in ZF1,
please let them hear either on this mailinglist or on the wiki!
http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV2/Zend+Mail+2.0

Depending on the amount of change there will also be a proposal, but
obviously most effective is to speak up as early as possible.

Thanks,

Dolf
-- Freeaqingme

P.s. some initial code (pre-alpha) or prototyping can be found here:
https://github.com/Freeaqingme/zf2/tree/feature/mailRefactoring

Re: Zend_Mail: in need of inspiration badly

Marian Meres-2
Hello Dolf,

if I remeber correctly I once needed public accessor for raw mime
content and I have not found any. I ended up doing something like:

$rawBodyText = Zend_Mime::ENCODING_QUOTEDPRINTABLE == $textMime->encoding
? quoted_printable_decode($textMime->getContent())
: base64_decode($textMime->getContent());

Where something like "$mime->getRawContent()" would be nice to have
instead (and obviously more efficient).

Thanks,
m.

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 9:00 PM, Dolf Schimmel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Guys (and ladies!),
>
> As some of you may have noticed already on either twitter, irc or the
> wiki, I've begun gatherIng some ideas for Zend\Mail. So if you have
> either ideas for Zend\Mail 2.0 or problems with Zend_Mail in ZF1,
> please let them hear either on this mailinglist or on the wiki!
> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV2/Zend+Mail+2.0
>
> Depending on the amount of change there will also be a proposal, but
> obviously most effective is to speak up as early as possible.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dolf
> -- Freeaqingme
>
> P.s. some initial code (pre-alpha) or prototyping can be found here:
> https://github.com/Freeaqingme/zf2/tree/feature/mailRefactoring

Re: Zend_Mail: in need of inspiration badly

till-2
On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Marian Meres <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Dolf,
>
> if I remeber correctly I once needed public accessor for raw mime
> content and I have not found any. I ended up doing something like:
>
> $rawBodyText = Zend_Mime::ENCODING_QUOTEDPRINTABLE == $textMime->encoding
> ? quoted_printable_decode($textMime->getContent())
> : base64_decode($textMime->getContent());
>
> Where something like "$mime->getRawContent()" would be nice to have
> instead (and obviously more efficient).

That sounds pretty interesting and also kinda like a use-case for __toString().

Then, I just wanted to give kudos to Dolf for working on Zend_Mail,
and also on the transition to ZF2.

Till

> Thanks,
> m.
>

> On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 9:00 PM, Dolf Schimmel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hey Guys (and ladies!),
>>
>> As some of you may have noticed already on either twitter, irc or the
>> wiki, I've begun gatherIng some ideas for Zend\Mail. So if you have
>> either ideas for Zend\Mail 2.0 or problems with Zend_Mail in ZF1,
>> please let them hear either on this mailinglist or on the wiki!
>> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV2/Zend+Mail+2.0
>>
>> Depending on the amount of change there will also be a proposal, but
>> obviously most effective is to speak up as early as possible.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dolf
>> -- Freeaqingme
>>
>> P.s. some initial code (pre-alpha) or prototyping can be found here:
>> https://github.com/Freeaqingme/zf2/tree/feature/mailRefactoring

Re: Zend_Mail: in need of inspiration badly

ottovw

I agree, we had to do a lot of encoding magic as well, if the zend
mail api would handle encoding/decoding, that'd be great.

Additional Ideas:
* Finish the IMAP implementation. Parts in multipart emails are
"simulated" as the documentation puts it. It really would be great to
load mail parts on demand (e.g. attachments) in order to boost the
performance when handling emails with attachments.
* Also it would be great if there was an abstraction of email IDs,
which in most cases just is the position of an email within one
folder. Using UIDs, which also is supported by IMAP, would really
help. E.g. when an IMAP account is used concurrently, IDs can be
confused.
* Enhance the search API.

Best wishes,
Otto