Zend Framework team reorganization

Greetings!

The Zend Framework team has undergone some internal reorganization
recently which will have some bearing on the project.

First, the team now reports to Zeev Suraski, Zend's CTO. Please welcome
him to the lists!

Additionally, Wil Sinclair is ending his tenure as the Zend Framework
team leader. During his time as project lead, Zend Framework has made
tremendous progress in becoming the de-facto standard for PHP
development, with several significant achievements:

  * The 1.5, 1.6, and 1.7 releases, as well as the recent 1.8 preview
    release
  * Helped support and build partnerships with the Dojo Foundation,
    Adobe, and others
  * Introduction of agile methodologies to the ZF team
  * Usage of social networking media as an additional support vector

I'd like to thank Wil for his contributions to the Zend Framework
project!

Finally, I am pleased to announce my own promotion to the position of
Project Lead. I have worked with Andi and Zeev in recent weeks to define
how I will approach this role, and have emphasized during that time the
need to address and respond to community concerns.

Following the 1.8 release, the team will be focussing on items such as
whiddling down the bug backlog, improving documentation, and writing
tutorials. Additionally, we will be outlining and scoping upcoming
releases in order to publish a public roadmap for the project. Part of
this effort will include some work to make the proposal process easier
and more transparent. The hope is that having published milestones will
help focus user contributions, both in terms of new features and
stabilizing the framework.

I look forward to working with each and every one of you, and welcome
your feedback!

Re: Zend Framework team reorganization

Jan Pieper

Re: Zend Framework team reorganization

Sudheer Satyanarayana
Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> The Zend Framework team has undergone some internal reorganization
> recently which will have some bearing on the project.
>
> First, the team now reports to Zeev Suraski, Zend's CTO. Please welcome
> him to the lists!

Wow. Welcome Zeev.

> Additionally, Wil Sinclair is ending his tenure as the Zend Framework
> team leader. During his time as project lead, Zend Framework has made
> tremendous progress in becoming the de-facto standard for PHP
> development, with several significant achievements:
>
>   * The 1.5, 1.6, and 1.7 releases, as well as the recent 1.8 preview
>     release
>   * Helped support and build partnerships with the Dojo Foundation,
>     Adobe, and others
>   * Introduction of agile methodologies to the ZF team
>   * Usage of social networking media as an additional support vector
>
> I'd like to thank Wil for his contributions to the Zend Framework
> project!

Thanks for all the greet work, Wil. Best of luck.
> Finally, I am pleased to announce my own promotion to the position of
> Project Lead. I have worked with Andi and Zeev in recent weeks to define
> how I will approach this role, and have emphasized during that time the
> need to address and respond to community concerns.

Congrats Matthew. You deserve it!

--

With warm regards,
Sudheer. S
Business: http://binaryvibes.co.in, Tech stuff: http://techchorus.net, Personal: http://sudheer.net

RE: Zend Framework team reorganization

Andi Gutmans

In the time Wil led the ZF project we have seen almost a 12x increase in
ZF downloads excluding 3rd party distribution vehicles. We also saw a
significant increase in adoption of ZF in the largest of organizations.
These and many other accomplishments are a testament of the progress ZF
has made under Wil's leadership.

Given the recent leadership change at Zend it made most sense to move
the ownership of the project over to the CTO, Zeev. Matthew will have
the opportunity to step up into this new role and leave his own marks on
the project as has every previous leader.

Wil will continue to work for me directly on other strategic projects
Zend is currently looking at so he will be not very far away.

Please join me in thanking Wil and welcoming Matthew into his new role.
Andi

keith Pope-4
Congrats Matthew! Thx for all your work Wil :)

2009/4/14 Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]>:

> Greetings!
>
> The Zend Framework team has undergone some internal reorganization
> recently which will have some bearing on the project.
>
> First, the team now reports to Zeev Suraski, Zend's CTO. Please welcome
> him to the lists!
>
> Additionally, Wil Sinclair is ending his tenure as the Zend Framework
> team leader. During his time as project lead, Zend Framework has made
> tremendous progress in becoming the de-facto standard for PHP
> development, with several significant achievements:
>
>  * The 1.5, 1.6, and 1.7 releases, as well as the recent 1.8 preview
>    release
>  * Helped support and build partnerships with the Dojo Foundation,
>    Adobe, and others
>  * Introduction of agile methodologies to the ZF team
>  * Usage of social networking media as an additional support vector
>
> I'd like to thank Wil for his contributions to the Zend Framework
> project!
>
> Finally, I am pleased to announce my own promotion to the position of
> Project Lead. I have worked with Andi and Zeev in recent weeks to define
> how I will approach this role, and have emphasized during that time the
> need to address and respond to community concerns.
>
> Following the 1.8 release, the team will be focussing on items such as
> whiddling down the bug backlog, improving documentation, and writing
> tutorials. Additionally, we will be outlining and scoping upcoming
> releases in order to publish a public roadmap for the project. Part of
> this effort will include some work to make the proposal process easier
> and more transparent. The hope is that having published milestones will
> help focus user contributions, both in terms of new features and
> stabilizing the framework.
>
> I look forward to working with each and every one of you, and welcome
> your feedback!
>
> --
> Matthew Weier O'Phinney

[MuTe]

Re: Zend Framework team reorganization

Benedict Stuart
hi,

nice to hear, that ZF Server is mentioned here..

but it would be glad if ZF is compatible with PHP 5.1.6 and RHEL5
again in the next releases ..
dont break with current "customers" .. some has to go with RHEL5 a
long time without being able to upgrade to 5.2.xx in real business ..
!!!!!!! i am working day2day on a supported version of ZF for my
environment, about 30 servers, 10 customers, unwilling to upgrade, but
willing to upgrade with the next major release of their OS .. so how
to handle this ? migrate ? java ?

kind regards
 Benedict Stuart

RE: Zend Framework team reorganization

wllm
I'd like to add that I have had a fantastic time working with everyone
in the community. In fact, so much so that I'll remain a very active
community member!

While I appreciate Andi's summary of the success of the project while I
managed the team here at Zend, I want to congratulate the people who
really made it happen- you, the community. Under Matthew's leadership, I
believe we will continue see even more success and adoption in the PHP
community, along with some exciting new additions to the framework
itself.

Please keep in mind that this is not a farewell. You'll be seeing me
around on IRC, blogs, twitter, the mailing lists, and hopefully
occasionally in person. In fact, I may have even more time to get to
know everyone now. ;)

Thanks for all the good memories, and thanks in advance for those to
come.

,Wil

In the time Wil led the ZF project we have seen almost a 12x increase in
ZF downloads excluding 3rd party distribution vehicles. We also saw a
significant increase in adoption of ZF in the largest of organizations.
These and many other accomplishments are a testament of the progress ZF
has made under Wil's leadership.

Given the recent leadership change at Zend it made most sense to move
the ownership of the project over to the CTO, Zeev. Matthew will have
the opportunity to step up into this new role and leave his own marks on
the project as has every previous leader.

Wil will continue to work for me directly on other strategic projects
Zend is currently looking at so he will be not very far away.

Please join me in thanking Wil and welcoming Matthew into his new role.
Andi

Tobias Gies
2009/4/14 Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]>:
> First, the team now reports to Zeev Suraski, Zend's CTO. Please welcome
> him to the lists!

Hi Zeev!

> I'd like to thank Wil for his contributions to the Zend Framework
> project!

Seconded. THANK YOU for all that you have done for this project,
Wil!!!!! (<-- five exclamation marks, and well deserved ;-))

> Finally, I am pleased to announce my own promotion to the position of
> Project Lead. I have worked with Andi and Zeev in recent weeks to define
> how I will approach this role, and have emphasized during that time the
> need to address and respond to community concerns.

Big congratulations to you Matthew, a well deserved promotion!

> Following the 1.8 release, the team will be focussing on items such as
> whiddling down the bug backlog, improving documentation, and writing
> tutorials. Additionally, we will be outlining and scoping upcoming
> releases in order to publish a public roadmap for the project. Part of
> this effort will include some work to make the proposal process easier
> and more transparent. The hope is that having published milestones will
> help focus user contributions, both in terms of new features and
> stabilizing the framework.

Sounds good! Very good, indeed :)

> I look forward to working with each and every one of you, and welcome
> your feedback!

So do I.

Best regards,
Tobias

RE: Zend Framework team reorganization

Terre Porter

> First, the team now reports to Zeev Suraski, Zend's CTO. Please welcome
him to the lists!

Welcome to the nut house, err I mean, to the fun house - yea that's right.

> I'd like to thank Wil for his contributions to the Zend Framework project!

Ditto! Best wishes and good luck with whatever your off to do.

> Finally, I am pleased to announce my own promotion to the position of
Project Lead.

Good luck, you got some big shoes to fill. Don't worry we can always stuff
newspaper in the shoes if they don't fit ;p

All joking aside, gratz on the promotion.

Terre

Re: Zend Framework team reorganization

Yue Yuanyuan

This is awesome. I have been using Zend framework since its 0.9 version. It really has big improvement after that. Thanks a lot for your people's working.
I hope zf will have more improvement on the support of  large scale website and full-text searching part.
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

vince.
Great news. Congrats Matt on the new promotion i couldn't vote for someone who could do a better job then you.  After having both certificates from Zend i can tell a single thing about Zend as a programmer, You guys certainly know how to address the market and decide on the right products line to make software development an easier task for corporate and private companies as one.

Keep the great work, Looking forward on helping out with the upcoming releases with Zend Framework. And participating my first ZendCon (Once it gets to Israel. if it does anytime soon :) ).

--
Vincent Gabriel.
Lead Developer, Senior Support.

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Robert Castley
@Matt ... Wishing you all the best in your new role!

@Wil ... thank you for your time and support.

- Robert

[...]

Adler Medrado
Great news.
Thank you Wil, welcome Zeev and congratulations Matthew.

--
adler medrado

Consultor
ZCE PHP 5, ZCE ZF
http://www.adlermedrado.com.br

Re: Zend Framework team reorganization

Gregory Eve
Thank you Will for all you have done.

Welcome Zeev, in the bigger and bigger community of ZF.

Good Luck Matthew, You are the best man for this position. I hope you will do a good job in the future.

--
Grégory EVE
Developer Engineer

Mimesis Republic
80, rue des Haies
75020 Paris
France

http://www.mimesis-republic.com

Re: Zend Framework team reorganization

Jurriën Stutterheim-2
Thanks for all the hard work Wil, gratz to Matthew, and welcome to Zeev!

Cheers,

Jurriën

On Apr 15, 2009, at 06:17 , Wil Sinclair wrote:

> I'd like to add that I have had a fantastic time working with everyone
> in the community. In fact, so much so that I'll remain a very active
> community member!
>
> While I appreciate Andi's summary of the success of the project
> while I
> managed the team here at Zend, I want to congratulate the people who
> really made it happen- you, the community. Under Matthew's
> leadership, I
> believe we will continue see even more success and adoption in the PHP
> community, along with some exciting new additions to the framework
> itself.
>
> Please keep in mind that this is not a farewell. You'll be seeing me
> around on IRC, blogs, twitter, the mailing lists, and hopefully
> occasionally in person. In fact, I may have even more time to get to
> know everyone now. ;)
>
> Thanks for all the good memories, and thanks in advance for those to
> come.
>
> ,Wil

chrisweb
Thank you Wil Sinclair for the hard work you have put in Zend Framework, one year ago we switching almost all our websites (+-50) to Zend Framework, we love Zend Framework, especially Zend_Cache Zend_Lucene and Zend_Form which are really great because their use is very easy but the possibilities are almost endless. We which you lots of joy in your new position at Zend Technologies.

Congratulations! Matthew Weier O'Phinney, we "know" you, because every time we search for something about Zend Framework we find a post coming from you. It seems like your everywhere ;) in the mailinglist, on your blog ... Your blog is really great, its a good source for Zend Framework help and news. We hope you will still have to answer questions in mailinglists or write in your blog. Thx also for all these Dojo helpers, building websites which complex javascript is now possible in few hours.

Welcome Zeev Suraski, i don't know if the fact that the team now reports to you will change something in how Zend Framework is build, but knowing that you supervise Zend Framework shows us that Zend is aware that Zend Framework is very important for PHP's future and that it won't disappear from one day to another.

We just finished reviewing the new components Zend_Application and Zend_Navigation, their are both usefull new components that we will implement in our projects as soon as possible.

One thing we miss a lot is a Zend_Form_Element_File for FTP transfers.

Re: Zend Framework team reorganization

zeev
Sorry for joining this thread so late - but better late than never,

Greetings everyone,

I've been lurking on this mailing list since 2005, but I've never
actually been active around the ZF project - so getting involved is
very exciting for me.  I'm looking forward to working with Matthew,
his team and everyone here to build on the huge momentum ZF already
achieved and make it even more successful.

Speaking of success, I'm definitely joining Matthew, Andi and many
others here in thanking Wil for his humungous contributions (and the
ones to come)!

Zeev

At 15:15 14/04/2009, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:

>Greetings!
>
>The Zend Framework team has undergone some internal reorganization
>recently which will have some bearing on the project.
>
>First, the team now reports to Zeev Suraski, Zend's CTO. Please welcome
>him to the lists!
>
>Additionally, Wil Sinclair is ending his tenure as the Zend Framework
>team leader. During his time as project lead, Zend Framework has made
>tremendous progress in becoming the de-facto standard for PHP
>development, with several significant achievements:
>
>   * The 1.5, 1.6, and 1.7 releases, as well as the recent 1.8 preview
>     release
>   * Helped support and build partnerships with the Dojo Foundation,
>     Adobe, and others
>   * Introduction of agile methodologies to the ZF team
>   * Usage of social networking media as an additional support vector
>
>I'd like to thank Wil for his contributions to the Zend Framework
>project!
>
>Finally, I am pleased to announce my own promotion to the position of
>Project Lead. I have worked with Andi and Zeev in recent weeks to define
>how I will approach this role, and have emphasized during that time the
>need to address and respond to community concerns.
>
>Following the 1.8 release, the team will be focussing on items such as
>whiddling down the bug backlog, improving documentation, and writing
>tutorials. Additionally, we will be outlining and scoping upcoming
>releases in order to publish a public roadmap for the project. Part of
>this effort will include some work to make the proposal process easier
>and more transparent. The hope is that having published milestones will
>help focus user contributions, both in terms of new features and
>stabilizing the framework.
>
>I look forward to working with each and every one of you, and welcome
>your feedback!
>
>--
>Matthew Weier O'Phinney
>Project Lead            | [hidden email]
>Zend Framework          | http://framework.zend.com/

Re: Zend Framework team reorganization

Tony Ford
Just wanted to say Congrats Matthew! The promotion is well deserved. Keep up the hard work :)

 - Tony

Re: Zend Framework team reorganization

Mills Guo
Hi,all.

    I started to pay attention from the project of zf 0.1 and use it, in this, thank Zend and all those who contributed to the ZF. Wish ZF getting better.

Mills from china.