Quantcast

Zend Framework - Stick with PHP slowest? or Make Zend framework as wrapper for Go language?

Zend Framework - Stick with PHP slowest? or Make Zend framework as wrapper for Go language?

IamTrying
Go at present beats pretty much any and all dynamic languages.

- Ruby
- PHP
-- An "ideal" optimiser could convert PHP with shitty algorithms into C with awesome algorithms for the same semantics.
- Perl
- Python
- It is loosely equivalent in ability to be optimised with Java and C#, but has had less time. It still beats Mono handily, though.

any others operating at that kind of level, because it is designed to be possible to implement efficiently on real machines, representing real machine operations or performant combinations of them, like C.

That's likely to stay true indefinitely. Those languages can't optimise to match Go in general there without "understand and convert"

- functional-paradigm go code that doesn't use interfaces ought to theoretically be able to achieve the same performance as equivalent functional-paradigm ansi-c.

Because there are no attributes of the Go language which make it impossible to write a Go implementation which is as fast as it is. The big challange is to have a fast GC, the rest of Go is already pretty fast.

GC pauses of up to over 150ms. Go's FP code is 6 times slower than C FP code at the moment
It is also better at RAM usage than Java by a huge margin.

Go I mean gc (GC == garbage collector, automatic memory management) , by C I mean gcc -O3
there's also a pretty big patch pending for the GC that should make it a lot faster, but it's still a huge bottleneck

- gccgo gives performance close to D
- the fact that it often comes close shows that the difference is generally a matter of compiler optimizations, not actual language deficiencies
- Java is more mature than Go; Go could definitely match that given time. because it has unsigned integers and tight control over structs memory layout

How can we use Zend Framework as a wrapper of Go language, straight without any bypass to anything else such as PHP for the moment?

Re: Zend Framework - Stick with PHP slowest? or Make Zend framework as wrapper for Go language?

nebiros
Nice initiative :D, I was thinking to do something with ZF similar to this article: http://areyoufuckingcoding.me/2012/02/27/go-powered-webservices-with-rails/, let Go do all the heavy duties, use REST to connect to the presentation part, rails in this case, seems a good idea; btw, did you look into Yaf? is a pecl extension framework similar to ZF1, http://www.php.net/manual/en/intro.yaf.php, if you want performance maybe this is a good way to achieve it.

--
Juan Felipe Alvarez Saldarriaga
http://juan.im

On Sunday, March 11, 2012 at 6:43 AM, IamTrying wrote:

> Go at present beats pretty much any and all dynamic languages.
>
> - Ruby
> - PHP
> -- An "ideal" optimiser could convert PHP with shitty algorithms into C with
> awesome algorithms for the same semantics.
> - Perl
> - Python
> - It is loosely equivalent in ability to be optimised with Java and C#, but
> has had less time. It still beats Mono handily, though.
>
> any others operating at that kind of level, because it is designed to be
> possible to implement efficiently on real machines, representing real
> machine operations or performant combinations of them, like C.
>
> That's likely to stay true indefinitely. Those languages can't optimise to
> match Go in general there without "understand and convert"
>
> - functional-paradigm go code that doesn't use interfaces ought to
> theoretically be able to achieve the same performance as equivalent
> functional-paradigm ansi-c.
>
> Because there are no attributes of the Go language which make it impossible
> to write a Go implementation which is as fast as it is. The big challange is
> to have a fast GC, the rest of Go is already pretty fast.
>
> GC pauses of up to over 150ms. Go's FP code is 6 times slower than C FP code
> at the moment
> It is also better at RAM usage than Java by a huge margin.
>
> Go I mean gc (GC == garbage collector, automatic memory management) , by C I
> mean gcc -O3
> there's also a pretty big patch pending for the GC that should make it a lot
> faster, but it's still a huge bottleneck
>
> - gccgo gives performance close to D
> - the fact that it often comes close shows that the difference is generally
> a matter of compiler optimizations, not actual language deficiencies
> - Java is more mature than Go; Go could definitely match that given time.
> because it has unsigned integers and tight control over structs memory
> layout
>
> How can we use Zend Framework as a wrapper of Go language, straight without
> any bypass to anything else such as PHP for the moment?

Re: Zend Framework - Stick with PHP slowest? or Make Zend framework as wrapper for Go language?

christian
*https://github.com/facebook/hiphop-php*

Good luck! :)

Christian.

2012/3/20 Juan Felipe Alvarez Saldarriaga <[hidden email]>

> [...]
> > - the fact that it often comes close shows that the difference is
> generally
> > a matter of compiler optimizations, not actual language deficiencies
> > - Java is more mature than Go; Go could definitely match that given time.
> > because it has unsigned integers and tight control over structs memory
> > layout
> >
> > How can we use Zend Framework as a wrapper of Go language, straight
> without
> > any bypass to anything else such as PHP for the moment?
> >

> > --
> http://Nabble.com).
> >
> > --
> > List: [hidden email] (mailto:[hidden email])
> > Info: http://framework.zend.com/archives
> [hidden email])

Re: Zend Framework - Stick with PHP slowest? or Make Zend framework as wrapper for Go language?

I try to compile it in OSX Lion, but no luck :S.

--

On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Christian Soronellas wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > Go I mean gc (GC == garbage collector, automatic memory management) , by C I
> > > mean gcc -O3
> > > there's also a pretty big patch pending for the GC that should make it a lot
> > > faster, but it's still a huge bottleneck
> > >
> > > - gccgo gives performance close to D
> > > - the fact that it often comes close shows that the difference is generally
> > > a matter of compiler optimizations, not actual language deficiencies
> > > - Java is more mature than Go; Go could definitely match that given time.
> > > because it has unsigned integers and tight control over structs memory
> > > layout
> > >
> > > How can we use Zend Framework as a wrapper of Go language, straight without
> > > any bypass to anything else such as PHP for the moment?

Re: Zend Framework - Stick with PHP slowest? or Make Zend framework as wrapper for Go language?

Because there is no support for OS X. Maybe with a virtualbox ... ? :D

Regards,
Christian.

2012/3/20 Juan Felipe Alvarez Saldarriaga <[hidden email]>

> I try to compile it in OSX Lion, but no luck :S.
>
> --
> Juan Felipe Alvarez Saldarriaga
> http://juan.im
> Twitter: @nebiros
> GTalk: [hidden email]
> Skype: jfasaldarriaga
>

> On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Christian Soronellas wrote:
>
> > https://github.com/facebook/hiphop-php
> >
> > Good luck! :)
> >
> > Christian.
> >

> > 2012/3/20 Juan Felipe Alvarez Saldarriaga <[hidden email] (mailto:
> [hidden email])>
> > > Nice initiative :D, I was thinking to do something with ZF similar to
> this article:
> http://areyoufuckingcoding.me/2012/02/27/go-powered-webservices-with-rails/,
> let Go do all the heavy duties, use REST to connect to the presentation
> part, rails in this case, seems a good idea; btw, did you look into Yaf? is
> a pecl extension framework similar to ZF1,
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/intro.yaf.php, if you want performance maybe
> this is a good way to achieve it.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Juan Felipe Alvarez Saldarriaga
> > > http://juan.im
> > > Twitter: @nebiros
> > > GTalk: [hidden email] (mailto:[hidden email])
> > > Skype: jfasaldarriaga

> into C with
> C#, but

> to be

> optimise to

> impossible
> challange is

> FP code

> , by C I
> it a lot

> generally
> time.
> memory

> without

> http://Nabble.com) (http://Nabble.com).

> (mailto:[hidden email])
> [hidden email]) (mailto:
> [hidden email])

Re: Zend Framework - Stick with PHP slowest? or Make Zend framework as wrapper for Go language?

nebiros
Hahaha, indeed, but I was trying to create a homebrew formula and patch some stuff to put it to work, but, maybe I'll work on this the next weekend :).

--

On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM, Christian Soronellas wrote:

> Because there is no support for OS X. Maybe with a virtualbox ... ? :D
>
> Regards,
> Christian.
>

> 2012/3/20 Juan Felipe Alvarez Saldarriaga <[hidden email] (mailto:[hidden email])>
>
> > I try to compile it in OSX Lion, but no luck :S.
> >
> > --
> > Juan Felipe Alvarez Saldarriaga
> > http://juan.im
> > Twitter: @nebiros
> > GTalk: [hidden email] (mailto:[hidden email])
> > Skype: jfasaldarriaga
> >

> > On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Christian Soronellas wrote:
> >
> > > https://github.com/facebook/hiphop-php
> > >
> > > Good luck! :)
> > >
> > > Christian.
> > >

> > > 2012/3/20 Juan Felipe Alvarez Saldarriaga <[hidden email] (mailto:[hidden email]) (mailto:
> > [hidden email] (mailto:[hidden email]))>
> > >

> > this article:
> > http://areyoufuckingcoding.me/2012/02/27/go-powered-webservices-with-rails/,
> > let Go do all the heavy duties, use REST to connect to the presentation
> > part, rails in this case, seems a good idea; btw, did you look into Yaf? is
> > a pecl extension framework similar to ZF1,
> > http://www.php.net/manual/en/intro.yaf.php, if you want performance maybe
> > this is a good way to achieve it.

> > into C with
> > > > >

> > C#, but

> > to be

> > optimise to

> > impossible
> > > >

> > challange is

> > FP code

> > , by C I
> > > > >

> > it a lot

> > generally
> > > > >

> > time.
> > > >

> > memory

> > without

> > http://Nabble.com) (http://Nabble.com).

> > (mailto:[hidden email])
> > > > >

> > [hidden email] (mailto:[hidden email])) (mailto:
> > [hidden email] (mailto:[hidden email]))

Re: Zend Framework - Stick with PHP slowest? or Make Zend framework as wrapper for Go language?

Leander Damme
[off-topic]
don´t waste your time trying hphp on OS X…  it just won´t work without major patching and will likely pollute your system (if you don´t know  a 100% what you are doing in terms of compiler tweaking, prefixing, libs, dependencies etc.)
Who would deploy hiphop apps on OS X anyway?

I got a VirtualBox Image with running hphp tools laying around somewhere. It´s rather hackish.
My original plan was to write some chef recipes to automate the installation described here:
https://github.com/facebook/hiphop-php/wiki/Building-and-Installing-on-Ubuntu-9.10

I experimented a bit with hiphopping older php code (roundcube webmailer, wordpress, seemed to work ok).
When it comes to debugging, skimming through auto generated c++ garbage is… erm major pain.

hphp also does not support PHP 5.3 :( thats where i stopped.
If you still wanna play, I can upload that box somewhere.

Regards
Leander

--
twitter: @lenada