Zend Framework Q&A website

12

Zend Framework Q&A website

Artur Bodera
Good morning!

Based on some feedback I've read on the level of transparency of ZF team,
not adequate communication or fragmentation of helpful resources, I've
started a dedicated ZF Q&A website.

I'm not a Zend employee and this website is based on StackExchange.
This means it's open, democratic and could be a go-to destination for all
people seeking help with Zend Framework.

    http://bit.ly/ZF_QA

Because it's a currently a "proposal" project (not launched yet) in order
for it
to take off we need a significant number of people to do the following:

  1. Click the link.
  2. Click follow (this equals = you like the idea :)
  3. Write a sample question for ZF1 or ZF2.
  4. Vote for questions you like (to see answers for).
  5. Let others know.

The idea is to centralize all ZF1 and ZF2 support. Currently there are ML,
forums, blogs, irc, StackExchange and other websites where you can
find ZF answers. Because there are so many it's hard to get a specific
answer when you're in trouble. If we launched a dedicated ZF Q&A
website, end-users will have a common place to ask their questions
and contributors one place to monitor and help out.

Cheers.

Arthur.

--
      __
     /.)\   +48 695 600 936
     \(./   [hidden email]

Re: Zend Framework Q&A website

Clint Lenard
Nice. I will definitely be checking this out.

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Artur Bodera <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good morning!
>
> Based on some feedback I've read on the level of transparency of ZF team,
> not adequate communication or fragmentation of helpful resources, I've
> started a dedicated ZF Q&A website.
>
> I'm not a Zend employee and this website is based on StackExchange.
> This means it's open, democratic and could be a go-to destination for all
> people seeking help with Zend Framework.
>
>    http://bit.ly/ZF_QA
>

> Because it's a currently a "proposal" project (not launched yet) in order
> for it
> to take off we need a significant number of people to do the following:
>
>  1. Click the link.
>  2. Click follow (this equals = you like the idea :)
>  3. Write a sample question for ZF1 or ZF2.
>  4. Vote for questions you like (to see answers for).
>  5. Let others know.
>

> The idea is to centralize all ZF1 and ZF2 support. Currently there are ML,
> forums, blogs, irc, StackExchange and other websites where you can
> find ZF answers. Because there are so many it's hard to get a specific
> answer when you're in trouble. If we launched a dedicated ZF Q&A
> website, end-users will have a common place to ask their questions
> and contributors one place to monitor and help out.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Arthur.
>
> --
>      __
>     /.)\   +48 695 600 936
>     \(./   [hidden email]

Clint Lenard

www.ClintLenard.com
www.Affiliit.com

*"Great minds discuss ideas*, *average minds discuss events*, *small minds
discuss people*." - Eleanor Roosevelt

*"**I've learned that mistakes can often be as good a teacher as success.*"
- Jack Welch

Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] Zend Framework Q&A website

Tomáš Fejfar
As unhappy I am to say so, some of the points in the "Why was the proposal
rejected" make sense.

Only exception being some general questions like the ones I created as
examples in the proposal - the ones that transcend from programming to
other areas - like what is CLA, who are ZF core developers, how do I setup
Apache to work with ZF, what are good ways to optimize server for ZF, is
there any good [templating system, ecommerce module, payment gateway
module] for ZF, ...

Other than that only thing we need is to promote SO as the single most
useful resource to get ZF answers. And maybe also more activity from core
members on SO. And maybe sponsor the tag to give it a little shine. There
is a very valid point, that creating dedicated ZF stackexchange would lead
to decline in number of questions/answers, because

1) some of the people on SO are good programmers AND know ZF, but will not
want to switch to different site and loose their reputation.
2) many people will still ask question about ZF on SO and be accused of
offtopic, as there is separate SE for it (how were they supposed to know?)

To sum up - only reason we SHOULD have our own SO would be if we have
enough questions that CAN'T be posted on SO with ZF tag and would be marked
as offtopic (as those noted above). Other than that there are not many
reasons why start building whole new community where there is one already,
keen to help.

The best solution would IMO be that some people (core devs) could get
magically a lot of reputation (or some other status - like "ZF" badge on
profile picture) and posts with tag ZendFramework would have different
theme, still staying on SO.

But from how I see it there is not much chance of this proposal getting
accepted. And I would stick to the advices from Supporting Developer
Communities on Stack Overflow in this post
http://discuss.area51.stackexchange.com/a/4581/54156

--Tomas Fejfar

2012/3/12 Tomáš Fejfar <[hidden email]>

> The best solution would IMO be that some people (core devs) could get
> magically a lot of reputation

Not possible.

(or some other status - like "ZF" badge on profile picture) and posts with
> tag ZendFramework would have different theme, still staying on SO.
> But from how I see it there is not much chance of this proposal getting
> accepted. And I would stick to the advices from Supporting Developer
> Communities on Stack Overflow in this post
> http://discuss.area51.stackexchange.com/a/4581/54156

You're missing the point Tomas.

Citing that point:

Start with a page on your site, listing where developers should go for
> various support-related tasks. Stack Overflow should only be ONE of the
> option available.

We do not need _another_ support web page.
Currently, contributors and ZF core-team are spread thin across:

 1. StackOverflow and other Q&A sites
 2. Personal blogs + discussions
 3. Official Zend forums
 4. Plethora of unofficial forums
 5. Official mailing lists
 6. Official wiki discussions
 7. IRC on a couple of channels
 8. Ye'olde write an email to contributor

Not only it affects the quality of support you might get from
a knowledgeable person, but also increases the confusion of end-user when
he/she wants to ask a question.

Zend Framework 2 additionally brings in:
  a) A lot more questions coming in, because ZF2 is a new beast.
  b) New questions are not yet answered, you won't find many of them on
Google.
  c) Tens of new/refactored Components
  d) Service\* detached from the core
  e) Potentially tens of third-party modules, which (despite having nothing
directly to do with zf2 core) will be associated with zf2.

This translates to the number of incoming questions and number
of specialty tags we'll need to bring order to the chaos.

The motivation for a dedicated Q&A site is to:
 1) Have 1 single site where contributors (+module authors) meet with
end-users.
 2) Have 1 single address where we direct people to ask their questions.
 3) Increase the average quality of answers with a voting mechanism, syntax
coloring, discussions (comments) and other tools.
 4) In time, build a sizable knowledge base containing high-quality answers
for zf1 and zf2.

1) some of the people on SO are good programmers AND know ZF, but will not
> want to switch to different site and loose their reputation.

Reputation is not an objective here. I can understand that reputation
hunting can be a goal of itself for some people, but I believe that me and
many other contributors will want to use the new site to help out people,
regardless if even the reputation system exists or not.

If we go with SE, I will ask their staff if it's possible to migrate some
of the reputation from SO when creating an account at new site.

> 2) many people will still ask question about ZF on SO and be accused of
> offtopic, as there is separate SE for it (how were they supposed to know?)

That depends on how we define it and how we manage it. It's exactly the
same with IRC, forums, ML and other places. The line is drawn by the people
answering questions. You're right, that questions relating to ZF will
sometimes intersect with "general-php", apache and other areas. In my
opinion that's nothing bad and such questions would get my attention. In
case nature of a question is too off, SE gives moderators and contributors
a tool to easily migrate the question back to StackOverflow (and back).

Furthermore, I'll be asking moderators on StackExchange to migrate existing
[zend-framework] tagged questions to the new site.

--
      __
     /.)\   +48 695 600 936
     \(./   [hidden email]

Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] Zend Framework Q&A website

Tomáš Fejfar
Just to clarify the reputation problem. The thing with reputation is that
it directly affect your abbilities on SE. You need it to moderate, suggest
new tags, vote for closing, etc. I'm in TOP 20 users for ZF tag (
http://stackoverflow.com/tags/zend-framework/topusers) and it took a lot of
work to get the required reputation that allow tag suggestions and voting.

OT: Example of question that would fit to ZF SE site would be
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/952056/where-do-i-start-with-zend-framework(closed
as not constructive).

2012/3/13 Artur Bodera <[hidden email]>

> [...]
>

> That depends on how we define it and how we manage it. It's exactly the
> same with IRC, forums, ML and other places. The line is drawn by the people
> answering questions. You're right, that questions relating to ZF will
> sometimes intersect with "general-php", apache and other areas. In my
> opinion that's nothing bad and such questions would get my attention. In
> case nature of a question is too off, SE gives moderators and contributors
> a tool to easily migrate the question back to StackOverflow (and back).
>
> Furthermore, I'll be asking moderators on StackExchange to migrate
> existing [zend-framework] tagged questions to the new site.
>

> --
>       __
>      /.)\   +48 695 600 936
>      \(./   [hidden email]

Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] Zend Framework Q&A website

robertbasic
This http://i.imgur.com/ijyf5.png sums up pretty well why I gave up on
SO. The mailing list/IRC at least filters out, to some extent, that
kind of people.

--
~Robert Basic;
http://robertbasic.com/

--
List: [hidden email]

2012/3/13 Tomáš Fejfar <[hidden email]>

> Just to clarify the reputation problem. The thing with reputation is that
> it directly affect your abbilities on SE. You need it to moderate, suggest
> new tags, vote for closing, etc. I'm in TOP 20 users for ZF tag (
> http://stackoverflow.com/tags/zend-framework/topusers) and it took a lot
> of work to get the required reputation that allow tag suggestions and
> voting.

You're right, however in this case:

  1) If ZF dedicated site was set up, a group of moderators will be
assigned with necessary permissions (probably "framework team" and CR team
folks)

  2) Other users can quickly gain rep by asking and answering questions.

To _use_ the site you don't need 5000 reputation - just create free account
and answer or ask your questions. After just a few answered (and upvoted)
answers you get more and more permissions, but those are _not_ necessary
for the whole site to fulfill its mission = serve end-users.

The upside to a separate rep. system is that we'll keep score based on
ZF-based knowledge, not "general programming", "shuffling arrays in pascal"
or "killing a process in DB2" knowledge. A person with high score on ZF Q&A
site = someone who's knowledgeable in the framework and helpful to others
in this regard.

I'm sure Tomas, with your experience, you'll rank up in no time :)

This http://i.imgur.com/ijyf5.png sums up pretty well why I gave up on
> SO. The mailing list/IRC at least filters out, to some extent, that
> kind of people.

Why so negative ? :-)

That's just one type of end-user we'll encounter. We can always
delete/moderate those questions and ban trolls, but those are also people.
ML and IRC doesn't filter anyone automatically, it's always by someone's
opinion on being OT or annoying or something. Novices also deserve support
- even if in the form of removing their comments and sending them an URL of
"ZF Quickstart".

--
      __
     /.)\   +48 695 600 936
     \(./   [hidden email]

Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] Zend Framework Q&A website

Anthony Shireman
Hope this reply all works correctly, sorry if anyone gets duplicates.

Currently the SE proposal has 66 followers and 28 example questions with 91
votes. To proceed to the next step there needs to be 36 questions and each
question needs 10 votes. If I understand the process correctly we're 25% of
the way to the next step. I just want to encourage everyone to post a
question, or vote on the current questions to get them above 10 votes. You
only get 5 votes on the proposal, so we need another 50+ people to help
move the proposal forward. Just wanted to hopefully motivate anyone who's
considering moving the proposal along to do so.

Tony

2012/3/13 Artur Bodera <[hidden email]>

> 2012/3/13 Tomáš Fejfar <[hidden email]>
>
>> Just to clarify the reputation problem. The thing with reputation is that
>> it directly affect your abbilities on SE. You need it to moderate, suggest
>> new tags, vote for closing, etc. I'm in TOP 20 users for ZF tag (
>> http://stackoverflow.com/tags/zend-framework/topusers) and it took a lot
>> of work to get the required reputation that allow tag suggestions and
>> voting.
>

> You're right, however in this case:
>
>   1) If ZF dedicated site was set up, a group of moderators will be
> assigned with necessary permissions (probably "framework team" and CR team
> folks)
>
>   2) Other users can quickly gain rep by asking and answering questions.
>

> To _use_ the site you don't need 5000 reputation - just create free
> account and answer or ask your questions. After just a few answered (and
> upvoted) answers you get more and more permissions, but those are _not_
> necessary for the whole site to fulfill its mission = serve end-users.
>
> The upside to a separate rep. system is that we'll keep score based on
> ZF-based knowledge, not "general programming", "shuffling arrays in pascal"
> or "killing a process in DB2" knowledge. A person with high score on ZF Q&A
> site = someone who's knowledgeable in the framework and helpful to others
> in this regard.
>

> I'm sure Tomas, with your experience, you'll rank up in no time :)
>

> This http://i.imgur.com/ijyf5.png sums up pretty well why I gave up on
>> SO. The mailing list/IRC at least filters out, to some extent, that
>> kind of people.
>>

> Why so negative ? :-)
>
> That's just one type of end-user we'll encounter. We can always
> delete/moderate those questions and ban trolls, but those are also people.
> ML and IRC doesn't filter anyone automatically, it's always by someone's
> opinion on being OT or annoying or something. Novices also deserve support
> - even if in the form of removing their comments and sending them an URL of
> "ZF Quickstart".
>

> --
>       __
>      /.)\   +48 695 600 936
>      \(./   [hidden email]

Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] Zend Framework Q&A website

Tomáš Fejfar
From how I understood it, we still need to convince the SE staff that ZF2
deserves one SE web for itself.

2012/3/13 Anthony Shireman <[hidden email]>

> [...]
>>

>> This http://i.imgur.com/ijyf5.png sums up pretty well why I gave up on
>>> SO. The mailing list/IRC at least filters out, to some extent, that
>>> kind of people.
>>>

>> Why so negative ? :-)
>>
>> That's just one type of end-user we'll encounter. We can always
>> delete/moderate those questions and ban trolls, but those are also people.
>> ML and IRC doesn't filter anyone automatically, it's always by someone's
>> opinion on being OT or annoying or something. Novices also deserve support
>> - even if in the form of removing their comments and sending them an URL of
>> "ZF Quickstart".
>>

>> --
>>       __
>>      /.)\   +48 695 600 936
>>      \(./   [hidden email]

Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] Zend Framework Q&A website

-- Tomáš Fejfar <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Tuesday, 13 March 2012, 08:37 PM +0100):
> From how I understood it, we still need to convince the SE staff that ZF2
> deserves one SE web for itself.

The comments on our proposal do not seem to necessarily reflect the
staff. Even the link that the commenter made indicates that there's (a)
contention about whether it's a problem or not, and (b) confusion by
some as to what the projects proposed actually are.

I think having a strong proposal that quickly meets the criteria
specified for new definitions will likely be seen as a sign that we have
a cohesive community interested in consolidating support in a single
channel.

> [...]
>         pascal" or "killing a process in DB2" knowledge. A person with high
>         score on ZF Q&A site = someone who's knowledgeable in the framework and
>         helpful to others in this regard.
>

>         I'm sure Tomas, with your experience, you'll rank up in no time :)
>

>             This http://i.imgur.com/ijyf5.png sums up pretty well why I gave up
>             on
>             SO. The mailing list/IRC at least filters out, to some extent, that
>             kind of people.
>

>         Why so negative ? :-)
>
>         That's just one type of end-user we'll encounter. We can always delete/
>         moderate those questions and ban trolls, but those are also people. ML
>         and IRC doesn't filter anyone automatically, it's always by someone's
>         opinion on being OT or annoying or something. Novices also deserve
>         support - even if in the form of removing their comments and sending

List: [hidden email]

Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] Zend Framework Q&A website

omerida
If Drupal can have an SE site, I don't see why Zend Framework wouldn't.

http://drupal.stackexchange.com/

--
List: [hidden email]

Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] Zend Framework Q&A website

Tomáš Fejfar
Because you can ask a ton of questions that are about drupal and will be
marked as offtopic on StackOverflow. Like "How do I create a subpage for a
page in Drupal" or "What are good texts for html_description in Drupal",
etc.

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 8:56 PM, Oscar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If Drupal can have an SE site, I don't see why Zend Framework wouldn't.
>
> http://drupal.stackexchange.**com/ <http://drupal.stackexchange.com/>

Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] Zend Framework Q&A website

Jurian Sluiman
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] Zend Framework Q&A website

Andreas Möller
> This http://i.imgur.com/ijyf5.png sums up pretty well why I gave up on
> SO. The mailing list/IRC at least filters out, to some extent, that
> kind of people.

Priceless!

--
List: [hidden email]

Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] Zend Framework Q&A website

Andreas Möller
This http://i.imgur.com/ijyf5.png sums up pretty well why I gave up on
> SO. The mailing list/IRC at least filters out, to some extent, that
> kind of people.

Why so negative ? :-)

I fully understand this: either you want to help OR you want to gain
reputation.

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/20407/will-high-reputation-in-stack-overflow-help-to-get-a-good-job

Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] Zend Framework Q&A website

Tomáš Fejfar
Yes, but look at the question selection - 97% of them are stackexchange
on-topic. The only two obvious offtopic are those I posted :)) It seems
like a good idea to add such questions to the list to show that many of ZF
related questions are SE offtopic.

2012/3/13 Jurian Sluiman <[hidden email]>

> Op 13 mrt. 2012 21:57 schreef "Tomáš Fejfar" <[hidden email]> het
> volgende:
>

> > Because you can ask a ton of questions that are about drupal and will be
> marked as offtopic on StackOverflow. Like "How do I create a subpage for a
> page in Drupal" or "What are good texts for html_description in Drupal",
> etc.
>
> Please bear in mind you'll get the same type of  question with the
> to-be-created module ecosystem for zf2. I see this q&a for all kind of
> questions, not all of them will be programming (and thus for SO) related.
> Jurian Sluiman

Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] Zend Framework Q&A website

Tomáš Fejfar
I missed MWOP's  How can I propose new functionality for the framework?

2012/3/14 Tomáš Fejfar <[hidden email]>

> Yes, but look at the question selection - 97% of them are stackexchange
> on-topic. The only two obvious offtopic are those I posted :)) It seems
> like a good idea to add such questions to the list to show that many of ZF
> related questions are SE offtopic.
>

> 2012/3/13 Jurian Sluiman <[hidden email]>
>
>> Op 13 mrt. 2012 21:57 schreef "Tomáš Fejfar" <[hidden email]>
>> het volgende:
>>

>> > Because you can ask a ton of questions that are about drupal and will
>> be marked as offtopic on StackOverflow. Like "How do I create a subpage for
>> a page in Drupal" or "What are good texts for html_description in Drupal",
>> etc.
>>
>> Please bear in mind you'll get the same type of  question with the
>> to-be-created module ecosystem for zf2. I see this q&a for all kind of
>> questions, not all of them will be programming (and thus for SO) related.
>> --
>> Jurian Sluiman

Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] Zend Framework Q&A website

H Glenn Hatfield
I don't know if it's the right way to do it or not, but I've been going back in and checking the questions I had voted on. If they had more than 10 up-votes, I removed my up-vote and found another question I thought was appropriate and voted it up. We technically have enough people registered to make it to the next round if none of the questions go above 10 up-votes and we are able to consolidate the votes onto the 40 most deserving questions.

On Mar 14, 2012, at 5:26 AM, Tomáš Fejfar wrote:

> I missed MWOP's  How can I propose new functionality for the framework?
>

> 2012/3/14 Tomáš Fejfar <[hidden email]>
> Yes, but look at the question selection - 97% of them are stackexchange on-topic. The only two obvious offtopic are those I posted :)) It seems like a good idea to add such questions to the list to show that many of ZF related questions are SE offtopic.
>

> 2012/3/13 Jurian Sluiman <[hidden email]>
> Op 13 mrt. 2012 21:57 schreef "Tomáš Fejfar" <[hidden email]> het volgende:
>

> > Because you can ask a ton of questions that are about drupal and will be marked as offtopic on StackOverflow. Like "How do I create a subpage for a page in Drupal" or "What are good texts for html_description in Drupal", etc.
>
> Please bear in mind you'll get the same type of  question with the to-be-created module ecosystem for zf2. I see this q&a for all kind of  questions, not all of them will be programming (and thus for SO) related.
> --
> Jurian Sluiman

Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] Zend Framework Q&A website

Tomáš Fejfar
>  going back in and checking the questions I had voted on. If they had
more than 10 up-votes, I removed my up-vote and found another question I
thought was appropriate and voted it up.
That's a very clever thing to do. I'll try to do that too...

2012/3/14 H Glenn Hatfield <[hidden email]>

> I don't know if it's the right way to do it or not, but I've been going
> back in and checking the questions I had voted on. If they had more than 10
> up-votes, I removed my up-vote and found another question I thought was
> appropriate and voted it up. We technically have enough people registered
> to make it to the next round if none of the questions go above 10 up-votes
> and we are able to consolidate the votes onto the 40 most deserving
> questions.

> On Mar 14, 2012, at 5:26 AM, Tomáš Fejfar wrote:
>
> I missed MWOP's  How can I propose new functionality for the framework?
>

> 2012/3/14 Tomáš Fejfar <[hidden email]>
>
>> Yes, but look at the question selection - 97% of them are stackexchange
>> on-topic. The only two obvious offtopic are those I posted :)) It seems
>> like a good idea to add such questions to the list to show that many of ZF
>> related questions are SE offtopic.
>>

>> 2012/3/13 Jurian Sluiman <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Op 13 mrt. 2012 21:57 schreef "Tomáš Fejfar" <[hidden email]>
>>> het volgende:

>>> be marked as offtopic on StackOverflow. Like "How do I create a subpage for
>>> a page in Drupal" or "What are good texts for html_description in Drupal",
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> Please bear in mind you'll get the same type of  question with the
>>> to-be-created module ecosystem for zf2. I see this q&a for all kind of
>>> questions, not all of them will be programming (and thus for SO) related.
>>> --
>>> Jurian Sluiman

Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] Zend Framework Q&A website

Anthony Shireman
Greetings!

For those of you who aren't watching closely, there's only a few more votes
needed to meet the question requirements to move the proposal to the next
step. Vote up the lower ranking questions and we'll move on. Thanks
everybody!

Tony

2012/3/14 Tomáš Fejfar <[hidden email]>

> >  going back in and checking the questions I had voted on. If they had
> more than 10 up-votes, I removed my up-vote and found another question I
> thought was appropriate and voted it up.
> That's a very clever thing to do. I'll try to do that too...
>

> 2012/3/14 H Glenn Hatfield <[hidden email]>
>
>> I don't know if it's the right way to do it or not, but I've been going
>> back in and checking the questions I had voted on. If they had more than 10
>> up-votes, I removed my up-vote and found another question I thought was
>> appropriate and voted it up. We technically have enough people registered
>> to make it to the next round if none of the questions go above 10 up-votes
>> and we are able to consolidate the votes onto the 40 most deserving
>> questions.

>> On Mar 14, 2012, at 5:26 AM, Tomáš Fejfar wrote:
>>
>> I missed MWOP's  How can I propose new functionality for the framework?
>>

>> 2012/3/14 Tomáš Fejfar <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Yes, but look at the question selection - 97% of them are stackexchange
>>> on-topic. The only two obvious offtopic are those I posted :)) It seems
>>> like a good idea to add such questions to the list to show that many of ZF
>>> related questions are SE offtopic.

12