Zend Framework 3 Status Update

Hey, all —

This is long overdue, but hopefully welcome:

- http://framework.zend.com/blog/zend-framework-3-update-and-roadmap.html

Warning: it's a long read. Make a warm beverage and a snack before you start!

Principal Engineer
Project Lead, Zend Framework and Apigility
[hidden email]
http://framework.zend.com
http://apigility.org

Re: Zend Framework 3 Status Update

Oscar Fanelli
Great words Matthew, thanks a lot for! I really appreciate, and obviously, thanks to everybody that contribute to this beautiful project!

> On 25 Nov 2015, at 22:47, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey, all —
>
> This is long overdue, but hopefully welcome:
>
> - http://framework.zend.com/blog/zend-framework-3-update-and-roadmap.html
>
> Warning: it's a long read. Make a warm beverage and a snack before you start!
>
> --
> Matthew Weier O'Phinney
> Principal Engineer
> Project Lead, Zend Framework and Apigility
> [hidden email]
> http://framework.zend.com
> http://apigility.org

Re: Zend Framework 3 Status Update

Ralf Eggert
Thanks Matthew, looking forward to read it now... :-)

Re: Zend Framework 3 Status Update

Francis Angelino Gonzales Tello
Thank you Matthew

I am so excited to test zf3!!!

Best Regards,

Francis A. Gonzales Tello / Informatic
[hidden email] / +51988301243

www.francis-gonzales.info

Twitter LinkedIn Github Wordpress

Hey, all —

This is long overdue, but hopefully welcome:

- http://framework.zend.com/blog/zend-framework-3-update-and-roadmap.html

Warning: it's a long read. Make a warm beverage and a snack before you start!

Principal Engineer
Project Lead, Zend Framework and Apigility
[hidden email]
http://framework.zend.com
http://apigility.org

Re: Zend Framework 3 Status Update

Ralf Eggert
Hi again,

this was exactly the blog post that was needed to calm down all the guys
which were asking for a status update on ZF3. Great job!

An having bi-weekly updates sound great as well.

Thanks and best regards,

Ralf

Re: Zend Framework 3 Status Update

Erico Vasconcelos
Great

Hi again,

this was exactly the blog post that was needed to calm down all the guys
which were asking for a status update on ZF3. Great job!

An having bi-weekly updates sound great as well.

Thanks and best regards,

Ralf

--
Erico Vasconcelos
zend.ettbrasil.com.br
(61) 3964-3380
(61) 9294-7967

Re: Zend Framework 3 Status Update

Youssef Kh
Awesome Matthew :D

and why not a webcast or youtube podcast series?

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 4:08 PM, Youssef Kh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Awesome Matthew :D
>
> and why not a webcast or youtube podcast series?

Because these take considerably more time to prepare, and cannot be
indexed the same way via search engines.

http://apigility.org

Re: Zend Framework 3 Status Update

Youssef Kh
Yes I agree though they are more interesting and would keep us tuned to the news and features screencast!

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 4:08 PM, Youssef Kh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Awesome Matthew :D
>
> and why not a webcast or youtube podcast series?

Because these take considerably more time to prepare, and cannot be
indexed the same way via search engines.

>> Great

>>> Hi again,
>>>
>>> this was exactly the blog post that was needed to calm down all the guys
>>> which were asking for a status update on ZF3. Great job!
>>>
>>> An having bi-weekly updates sound great as well.
>>>
>>> Thanks and best regards,
>>>
>>> Ralf
>>

>> --
>> Erico Vasconcelos
>> zend.ettbrasil.com.br
>> (61) 3964-3380
>> (61) 9294-7967

Principal Engineer
Project Lead, Zend Framework and Apigility
[hidden email]
http://framework.zend.com
http://apigility.org

Re: Zend Framework 3 Status Update

kuko
but some, including myself, prefer to read

Bat

Re: Zend Framework 3 Status Update

Bat
We are planning to do a video "10 tips for ZF3 in 20min".

Like how to better use all the existing components, how to integrate Doctrine and Apigility and why, how to implement cache fast, how to configure eclipse or PHPStorm for ZF2 etc. We are doing some tests around the format and recording some rushs to see if it works.

Please be patient!

Baptiste

Re: Zend Framework 3 Status Update

Youssef Kh
@Juraj (Kudo) we all love reading and I personally have all Zend framework books and a big list of tutorials on the web but having a video screencast is essential!

I know there is Zencast but if you check the latest videos you will see that the most recent one was in 2011 Really?

What makes a Framework easy to grasp for newbies and other people than videos?

I remember that Fabien Potentier (Founder of Symfony framework ) did video screencast where he showed all new features in every new version! and another video I remember back then was how to build a simple eCommerce app in 5mn! that's what makes interesting!

and what makes Laravel the most popular and used PHP Framework? other than the huge amount of video on youtube??

Good developers make things simpler to grasp since anyone can make anythings complex, easy to do!

Reading "Getting started" and making it to 'using components' might take like 30mn though people don't have all this time! you've got 5mn to show/impress them how to get a working and start playing with it! that's how fast it's done in other places like in NodeJS world or RoR (Ruby On Rails) where they have a huge amount of Video tutorials and funny as well!

We need a lot of videos! Tutorials! not just by the main Maintainers and Developers but also by the community! if you know how to record you desktop make a video of 5mn on how to do just one thing!

Thanks/Merci Baptiste for your efforts I love what are doing there!

Videos like "Top 5 mistakes to avoid in ZF" or "How to improve your code in ZF app" or simple ones "Understand ZF MVC or events in 5mn" and simple things like that! this is how NodeJs got famous by the community contributions!

and to end this Thank you all

PS: for anyone who would say "Why don't make videos Yourself?" well last time I developed with ZF was in ZF1 and I moved to NodeJs frameworks now ;) though I would love working with ZF3 in the future and I still support you guys!

Baptiste

> [...]

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 4:08 PM, Youssef Kh <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

> Awesome Matthew :D
>
> and why not a webcast or youtube podcast series?

Because these take considerably more time to prepare, and cannot be
indexed the same way via search engines.

>> Great

>>> Hi again,
>>>
>>> this was exactly the blog post that was needed to calm down all the guys
>>> which were asking for a status update on ZF3. Great job!
>>>
>>> An having bi-weekly updates sound great as well.
>>>
>>> Thanks and best regards,
>>>
>>> Ralf
>>

>> --
>> Erico Vasconcelos
>> zend.ettbrasil.com.br
>> (61) 3964-3380
>> (61) 9294-7967

Principal Engineer
Project Lead, Zend Framework and Apigility

Stefano Torresi-2
Hi list,

Il giorno mar 1 dic 2015 alle ore 22:13 Youssef Kh <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
I know there is Zencast but if you check the latest videos you will see that the most recent one was in 2011 Really?

FYI Zendcast was a one man band thing, a community project like the framework, and AFAIK not affiliated with Zend Technologies in any way.

Making screencasts is extremely time consuming and requires a lot of effort, I wouldn't dare to ask anybody to do that like it's a 20 lines blog post.

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Youssef Kh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What makes a Framework easy to grasp for newbies and other people than
> videos?

Blog posts, podcasts, magazine articles, web-based tutorials (with
code!), online courses, gists…

Videos are only *one* possible way to educate developers. They are not
universally accessible, and not necessarily the preferred method for
many developers. I'd say there may be *correlation* between
availability of videos and ease of learning, but not necessarily
*causation*.

I, for one, absolutely hate online videos as a learning tool; I'd much
prefer a good blog post or written tutorial, as they allow me to go at
my own speed. Others find written material too dry, and prefer a
verbal explanation. Insisting that having videos is the *only* way to
improve usability and popularity is a fallacy.

Principal Engineer
Project Lead, Zend Framework and Apigility
[hidden email]
http://framework.zend.com
http://apigility.org

Re: Zend Framework 3 Status Update

Mads Lie Jensen
> Videos are only *one* possible way to educate developers. They are not
> universally accessible, and not necessarily the preferred method for
> many developers. I'd say there may be *correlation* between
> availability of videos and ease of learning, but not necessarily
> *causation*.
>
> I, for one, absolutely hate online videos as a learning tool; I'd much
> prefer a good blog post or written tutorial, as they allow me to go at
> my own speed. Others find written material too dry, and prefer a
> verbal explanation. Insisting that having videos is the *only* way to
> improve usability and popularity is a fallacy.

I agree here, I absolutely hate videos and much prefer blogpost or
similar written stuff. A video forces me to pay 100% attention to get
the complete picture of whats going on, where as a blogpost is easier to
just leave for a few seconds while reading, because the kids yell at
their daddy :-)

A video often also forces me to see and listen to some simple stuff that
I already know by heart, where as in a blog post, I can very easily skip
that part.

--
Mads Lie Jensen
http://www.gartneriet.dk/