ZF3 should be called ZF2.4

Artur Bodera
So, here's the sitrep:

We want to bump basic PHP version up from 5.3.3. We also want to make a ton of BC breaks with what we call ZF3.... however after today's hangout, it's apparent zf2 was the biggest BC breaker in comparison with ZF1 and there's not _that_ much changing in ZF3...

Here are the benefits of calling next major version ZF 2.4

 1. We can still bump PHP to 5.4.*
 2. It's more logical - we are not doing a huge rewrite, but also introducing BC breaks.
 3. The architecture of many components will be the same.
 4. It now makes sense to stay in the same git repo.
 5. It's similar to what Symfony is doing (S2.* is on roadmap as far as 2017)
 6. It's less scary for end-users

My suggestion:

 * ZF 2.3 - bump to PHP 5.3.9 - no significant BC breaks.
 * ZF 2.4 - bump to PHP 5.4.x - some BC breaks with rewritten components (A.K.A ZF3)
 * ZF 2.5 (or later) - bump to PHP 5.5.x

Re: ZF3 should be called ZF2.4

bakura
Just think about guys that does automatic deployment and specified « zendframework/zendframework: ~2.2 » in their composer.json…

--

http://zend-framework-community.634137.n4.nabble.com/ZF3-should-be-called-ZF2-4-tp4661179.html
To start a new topic under ZF Contributor, email [hidden email]
NAML

Re: ZF3 should be called ZF2.4

You're confusing things a bit. ZF3 is called ZF3 because there will be breakages and new features (http://semver.org/)

Here are the benefits of calling next major version ZF 2.4

 1. We can still bump PHP to 5.4.*

No, you're introducing a major break in a minor version bump

 2. It's more logical - we are not doing a huge rewrite, but also introducing BC breaks.

A minor version *should* not include breakages.

 3. The architecture of many components will be the same.

*Many*. There will also be a lot of breakages and rewrites internally.

 4. It now makes sense to stay in the same git repo.

Yes, that even if it's called ZF3. We should probably poke github directly about that, since we don't want all users to change their git remotes (as well as packagist)

 5. It's similar to what Symfony is doing (S2.* is on roadmap as far as 2017)

Symfony is getting better at handling breakages. 2.0 to 2.2 was a nightmare, but now they sorted it out. And as far as I know they will step to 3.x when there will be major breakages.

 6. It's less scary for end-users

We're trying to mitigate that, as you've seen today :-)

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Artur Bodera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  2. It's more logical - we are not doing a huge rewrite, but also
> introducing BC breaks.

When we have BC breaks, that's in indication of a new _major_ version.
BC breaks are generally not allowed in minor versions, except when
they are required to fix something that is fundamentally broken
(usually for security reasons).

As such, any new version that introduces BC breaks _must_ be called
ZF3, not 2.4.

Re: ZF3 should be called ZF2.4

David Muir-2
On 07/11/13 04:13, Marco Pivetta wrote:
On 6 November 2013 17:38, Artur Bodera <[hidden email]> wrote:
So, here's the sitrep:

We want to bump basic PHP version up from 5.3.3. We also want to make a ton of BC breaks with what we call ZF3.... however after today's hangout, it's apparent zf2 was the biggest BC breaker in comparison with ZF1 and there's not _that_ much changing in ZF3...

You're confusing things a bit. ZF3 is called ZF3 because there will be breakages and new features (http://semver.org/)

Here are the benefits of calling next major version ZF 2.4

 1. We can still bump PHP to 5.4.*

No, you're introducing a major break in a minor version bump

I'd also prefer it if 5.4 was not required until next year. I use Ubuntu LTS releases, and the current release is on 5.3. The next one won't be out until April next year (most probably with 5.5).

Cheers,
David

Re: ZF3 should be called ZF2.4

Ben Scholzen 'DASPRiD'