ZF2 and Firebird Database

Whilst the Firebird PDO adapter does work with Zend\Db I can't get limit and offset to work as the SQL generated is incorrect for Firebird.

How difficult would it be to create a Firebird driver for Zend\Db?

I think I need to modify the specification property in the Zend\Db\Sql\Select class. This is protected so I assume have have to create a sub-class to override it. But I'm not sure how I pull this together into a driver.

Can anyone in the community give any advise on creating a new driver?