Quantcast

ZF2: Community Involvement in the Next Major Milestone

ZF2: Community Involvement in the Next Major Milestone

Ralph Schindler-2
Hey all!

We are moving into development on our next major milestone in ZF2 and as
such, we are looking for your help.  This milestone focuses on
converting the existing exception code to the new set of standards.
These standards are discussed in the following proposal by Matthew:

   *
http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV2/Proposal+for+Exceptions+in+ZF2

To see the overall goals for this milestone, you can consult the ZF2
Milestones document:

   *
http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV2/Zend+Framework+2.0+Milestones#ZendFramework2.0Milestones-Milestone%3AExceptions

So what is there for you to do?

I've gone through and refactored Zend\Authentication to conform to the
new Exception standards and expectation.  I will be moving onto
Zend\AccessControl next and both it and Authentication can act as a
blueprint for rest of the components.

All work is being done inside the "milestones/exceptions" branch for
this milestone.

If you are interested in jumping into ZF2 development, now is a good
time to start coding and getting familiar with the code base.

Either reply to this email thread or fine me in #zftalk.dev to discuss
what component you'd like to work on.

Thanks & Happy ZF(2)ing!
-ralph

--
Ralph Schindler
Software Engineer     | [hidden email]
Zend Framework        | http://framework.zend.com/

Re: ZF2: Community Involvement in the Next Major Milestone

guyht
I would be really keen to get involved in the development, I have followed ZF for a long time but never had the chance to get properly involved.

I have been using Zend Framework for about 4 years now, all versions up to 1.9xxx, and would really like to give something back.  I work full time as a software developer but am willing to put in some time in the evenings/weekends, working on ZF2.

Guy

Re: ZF2: Community Involvement in the Next Major Milestone

Ahmed Shreef-2
Hey Ralph,

I would love to help in ZF2. I was contributing in 2007 to ZF but had to leave because of some personal stuff at that time. this week, I was searching in the wiki to find a guide on the new rules for ZF2, I just found the link to the milestones you mentioned , but couldn't find any thing about the rules controlling how contributers should work with the github repo.

I did fork the github repo and clone it on my machine but didn't know which branch I should be working on. it will be nice if you can guide me and I think that new contributors to ZF2 will search in the wiki for a page about that too, so writing a new contributors guide will be a good idea.

I noticed that files structure were changed in zf2, is there any page talking about that too?

thanks

Best regards,
------------------
Ahmed Shreef
Software developer

http://shreef.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/shreef

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 10:12 PM, Ralph Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

-- Ahmed Shreef <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Saturday, 11 September 2010, 05:06 PM +0300):

> I would love to help in ZF2. I was contributing in 2007 to ZF but had to leave
> because of some personal stuff at that time. this week, I was searching in the
> wiki to find a guide on the new rules for ZF2, I just found the link to the
> milestones you mentioned , but couldn't find any thing about the rules
> controlling how contributers should work with the github repo.
>
> I did fork the github repo and clone it on my machine but didn't know which
> branch I should be working on. it will be nice if you can guide me and I think
> that new contributors to ZF2 will search in the wiki for a page about that too,
> so writing a new contributors guide will be a good idea.

The Git guide is actually on the wiki as well -- I'm surprised you were
unable to find it. The URL is here:

    http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV2/Zend+Framework+Git+Guide

For the "exceptions" milestone, use the "mileston/exceptions" branch.

> I noticed that files structure were changed in zf2, is there any page talking
> about that too?

Actually, the basic structure is exactly the same as it was before. The
only changes so far have been:

 * A few component names have changed
 * In a number of places in the tests, we've added a "TestAsset"
   directory for classes consumed solely in the testing suite.

> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 10:12 PM, Ralph Schindler <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>     Hey all!
>
>     We are moving into development on our next major milestone in ZF2 and as
>     such, we are looking for your help.  This milestone focuses on converting
>     the existing exception code to the new set of standards. These standards
>     are discussed in the following proposal by Matthew:
>
>      * http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV2/
>     Proposal+for+Exceptions+in+ZF2
>
>     To see the overall goals for this milestone, you can consult the ZF2
>     Milestones document:
>
>      * http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV2/
>     Zend+Framework+2.0+Milestones#
>     ZendFramework2.0Milestones-Milestone%3AExceptions
>
>     So what is there for you to do?
>
>     I've gone through and refactored Zend\Authentication to conform to the new
>     Exception standards and expectation.  I will be moving onto Zend\
>     AccessControl next and both it and Authentication can act as a blueprint
>     for rest of the components.
>
>     All work is being done inside the "milestones/exceptions" branch for this
>     milestone.
>
>     If you are interested in jumping into ZF2 development, now is a good time
>     to start coding and getting familiar with the code base.
>
>     Either reply to this email thread or fine me in #zftalk.dev to discuss what
>     component you'd like to work on.
>
>     Thanks & Happy ZF(2)ing!
>     -ralph
>
>     --
>     Ralph Schindler
>     Software Engineer     | [hidden email]
>     Zend Framework        | http://framework.zend.com/

Re: ZF2: Community Involvement in the Next Major Milestone

umpirsky
I would like to get involved in the development of zf2. I have signed the CLA, set github up...so, where should I start. Is there any component or particular task I can jump in?