Quantcast

ZF1.12 unit test help

12

ZF1.12 unit test help

akrabat
Hi,

Currently, ZF1's unit tests do not pass. If you have some spare time and would like to help out then fixing unit tests would be a very good use of your time!

The svn code is here: http://framework.zend.com/svn/framework/standard/trunk/

I have a public google docs spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag1fBz0q89aWdG9tUVdRY0d3dkVTaG91M0ZOWGxCaEE#gid=0

If you want to help out, please create a new column and note your settings in the top 4 rows and then run the tests for each component by doing this:

        $ cd tests
        $ phpunit -d memory_limit=-1 Zend/ComponentName/AllTests.php

Note your results in the spreadsheet. For all the ones that fail, we need either the test fixed or the library code fixed depending on what the problem is!

You'll need PHPUnit version 3.4 to run the tests. This helpful blog post shows how to get it running side-by-side with PHPUnit 3.6: http://tech.vg.no/2011/11/29/running-multiple-versions-of-phpunit/

Thanks,

Rob...

Re: ZF1.12 unit test help

robertbasic

On 24 April 2012 13:07, Rob Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently, ZF1's unit tests do not pass. If you have some spare time and would like to help out then fixing unit tests would be a very good use of your time!
>
> The svn code is here: http://framework.zend.com/svn/framework/standard/trunk/
>
> I have a public google docs spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag1fBz0q89aWdG9tUVdRY0d3dkVTaG91M0ZOWGxCaEE#gid=0

I've updated the spreadsheet with my results.

Didn't (yet) run the Zend_Service tests, they are slow :)

Will try to dig into the fatal errors and failures this week, as time
permits. My SVN-fu is a bit rusty, so I'll probably attach patches on
Jira. Will update this thread if that happens :)

Cheers,
Robert

Re: ZF1.12 unit test help

-- Tomáš Fejfar <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Tuesday, 24 April 2012, 01:35 PM +0200):
> Is there a ContinuousIntegration server for ZF tests? Seems like obvious
> solution, doesn't it? Say Jenkins with multiple slave nodes with different
> configurations...

We don't have infrastructure for this at this time, unfortunately.

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Rob Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Currently, ZF1's unit tests do not pass. If you have some spare time and
>     would like to help out then fixing unit tests would be a very good use of
>     your time!
>
>     The svn code is here: http://framework.zend.com/svn/framework/standard/
>     trunk/
>
>     I have a public google docs spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/
>     spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag1fBz0q89aWdG9tUVdRY0d3dkVTaG91M0ZOWGxCaEE#gid=0
>
>     If you want to help out, please create a new column and note your settings
>     in the top 4 rows and then run the tests for each component by doing this:
>
>            $ cd tests
>            $ phpunit -d memory_limit=-1 Zend/ComponentName/AllTests.php
>
>     Note your results in the spreadsheet. For all the ones that fail, we need
>     either the test fixed or the library code fixed depending on what the
>     problem is!
>
>     You'll need PHPUnit version 3.4 to run the tests. This helpful blog post
>     shows how to get it running side-by-side with PHPUnit 3.6: http://
>     tech.vg.no/2011/11/29/running-multiple-versions-of-phpunit/
>

>     Thanks,
>
>     Rob...

Re: ZF1.12 unit test help

David Weinraub
On 04/24/2012 06:07 PM, Rob Allen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently, ZF1's unit tests do not pass. If you have some spare time and would like to help out then fixing unit tests would be a very good use of your time!
>
> The svn code is here: http://framework.zend.com/svn/framework/standard/trunk/
>
> I have a public google docs spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag1fBz0q89aWdG9tUVdRY0d3dkVTaG91M0ZOWGxCaEE#gid=0
>
> If you want to help out, please create a new column and note your settings in the top 4 rows and then run the tests for each component by doing this:
>
> $ cd tests
> $ phpunit -d memory_limit=-1 Zend/ComponentName/AllTests.php
>
> Note your results in the spreadsheet. For all the ones that fail, we need either the test fixed or the library code fixed depending on what the problem is!
>
> You'll need PHPUnit version 3.4 to run the tests. This helpful blog post shows how to get it running side-by-side with PHPUnit 3.6: http://tech.vg.no/2011/11/29/running-multiple-versions-of-phpunit/
>

> Thanks,
>
> Rob...

For some components, I get different results test results from:

$ phpunit -d memory_limit=-1 Zend/ComponentName/AllTests.php

vs

$ phpunit -d memory_limit=-1 Zend/ComponentName/

In particular, some components pass using AllTests.php but fail without
it. Am I to assume that AllTests.php contains the "real" tests and that
other "non-ready-for-prime-time" tests reside in the directory but are
excluded from AllTests.php?

- David

Re: ZF1.12 unit test help

David Weinraub
On 04/24/2012 06:07 PM, Rob Allen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently, ZF1's unit tests do not pass. If you have some spare time and would like to help out then fixing unit tests would be a very good use of your time!
>
> The svn code is here: http://framework.zend.com/svn/framework/standard/trunk/
>
> I have a public google docs spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag1fBz0q89aWdG9tUVdRY0d3dkVTaG91M0ZOWGxCaEE#gid=0
>
> If you want to help out, please create a new column and note your settings in the top 4 rows and then run the tests for each component by doing this:
>
> $ cd tests
> $ phpunit -d memory_limit=-1 Zend/ComponentName/AllTests.php
>
> Note your results in the spreadsheet. For all the ones that fail, we need either the test fixed or the library code fixed depending on what the problem is!
>
> You'll need PHPUnit version 3.4 to run the tests. This helpful blog post shows how to get it running side-by-side with PHPUnit 3.6: http://tech.vg.no/2011/11/29/running-multiple-versions-of-phpunit/
>

> Thanks,
>
> Rob...

For some components, I get different results test results from:

$ phpunit -d memory_limit=-1 Zend/ComponentName/AllTests.php

vs

$ phpunit -d memory_limit=-1 Zend/ComponentName/

In particular, some components pass using AllTests.php but fail without
it. Am I to assume that AllTests.php contains the "real" tests and that
other "non-ready-for-prime-time" tests reside in the directory but are
excluded from AllTests.php?

- David

Re: ZF1.12 unit test help

Tomáš Fejfar
Than maybe  http://travis-ci.org/ ? It's good enough for symfony to have their official repo integrated. Why is official ZF2 repo missing? SVN repo should not be much of a problem with git-svn, right?

We don't have infrastructure for this at this time, unfortunately.

Re: ZF1.12 unit test help

-- David Weinraub <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Tuesday, 24 April 2012, 10:28 PM +0700):
> For some components, I get different results test results from:
>
> $ phpunit -d memory_limit=-1 Zend/ComponentName/AllTests.php
>
> vs
>
> $ phpunit -d memory_limit=-1 Zend/ComponentName/

On the ZF1 tree, you should only ever run AllTests for a given
component; this is how the test suite is setup, and most tests make
assumptions that at least some requirements are loaded by the AllTests
suite. If you run them without running AllTests, it effectively breaks
the suite for that component.

> In particular, some components pass using AllTests.php but fail
> without it. Am I to assume that AllTests.php contains the "real"
> tests and that other "non-ready-for-prime-time" tests reside in the
> directory but are excluded from AllTests.php?

It's not quite like that -- it has more to do with requirements being
slurped in than anything. That said, I know when we ported code to
namespaces originally, we found a number of extraneous test files that
we had to remove -- but we discovered this by removing the AllTests
suites.

Re: ZF1.12 unit test help

-- Tomáš Fejfar <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Tuesday, 24 April 2012, 08:07 PM +0200):
> Than maybe  http://travis-ci.org/ ? It's good enough for symfony to have their
> official repo integrated. Why is official ZF2 repo missing? SVN repo should not
> be much of a problem with git-svn, right?

ZF2 is now on Travis.

ZF1 is more problematic, as my experience in using git-svn bridges is
that sooner or later, something always breaks with syncing, meaning
automated processes are not reliable. We may look into it again after
the 1.12.0 release.

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>     We don't have infrastructure for this at this time, unfortunately.

Re: ZF1.12 unit test help

robertbasic
Apparently I was running the test without the "AllTests.php", which is
probably the cause for (some of) the fatals/failures; will update my
results during the day.

Sorry!

~Robert Basic;
http://robertbasic.com/

Re: ZF1.12 unit test help

Tomáš Fejfar
in my experience the problem is mainly with advanced worflow (branching, merging). Checkout trunk -> pull now and than -> does not break...

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:36 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]> wrote:
-- Tomáš Fejfar <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Tuesday, 24 April 2012, 08:07 PM +0200):
> Than maybe  http://travis-ci.org/ ? It's good enough for symfony to have their
> official repo integrated. Why is official ZF2 repo missing? SVN repo should not
> be much of a problem with git-svn, right?

ZF2 is now on Travis.

ZF1 is more problematic, as my experience in using git-svn bridges is
that sooner or later, something always breaks with syncing, meaning
automated processes are not reliable. We may look into it again after
the 1.12.0 release.

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>     We don't have infrastructure for this at this time, unfortunately.

Re: ZF1.12 unit test help

-- Tomáš Fejfar <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Thursday, 26 April 2012, 01:25 PM +0200):
> in my experience the problem is mainly with advanced worflow (branching,
> merging). Checkout trunk -> pull now and than -> does not break...

See, I've had issues with "git svn rebase" a fair number of times;
there's a known issue with using it against a repo that has svn merge
metadata. This is likely not a huge issue with the trunk, but I run into
it _regularly_ against the release branches. (I actually use git-svn for
managing my ZF1 checkout.)

While there are tools you can use (you can use git-svn.pl from the git
1.6.5.7 release), it's not an optimal solution.

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:36 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>     -- Tomáš Fejfar <[hidden email]> wrote
>     (on Tuesday, 24 April 2012, 08:07 PM +0200):
>     > Than maybe  http://travis-ci.org/ ? It's good enough for symfony to have
>     their
>     > official repo integrated. Why is official ZF2 repo missing? SVN repo
>     should not
>     > be much of a problem with git-svn, right?
>
>     ZF2 is now on Travis.
>
>     ZF1 is more problematic, as my experience in using git-svn bridges is
>     that sooner or later, something always breaks with syncing, meaning
>     automated processes are not reliable. We may look into it again after
>     the 1.12.0 release.
>
>     > On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <
>     [hidden email]>
>     > wrote:
>     >
>     >     We don't have infrastructure for this at this time, unfortunately.
>     >
>
>     --
>     Matthew Weier O'Phinney
>     Project Lead            | [hidden email]
>     Zend Framework          | http://framework.zend.com/
>     PGP key: http://framework.zend.com/zf-matthew-pgp-key.asc

Re: ZF1.12 unit test help

Martin Hujer

I ran the tests on my Windows machine and there were some errors. I've filled in the column in the spreadsheet.

I've also been able to create patches for some of the issues or at least identify, why do the tests fail.

http://framework.zend.com/issues/browse/ZF-9742
http://framework.zend.com/issues/browse/ZF-12176
http://framework.zend.com/issues/browse/ZF-12177
http://framework.zend.com/issues/browse/ZF-12178
http://framework.zend.com/issues/browse/ZF-12179
http://framework.zend.com/issues/browse/ZF-12180

Regards,

Martin Hujer.

Re: ZF1.12 unit test help

akrabat
To follow up,

I've discovered that the best command line to use is:

phpunit --stderr -d memory_limit=-1 Zend/{Component}/AllTests.php

The --stderr directs PHPUnit to send its output to stderr which means that the Zend_Session tests (and any others that use header()) will work!

As people have discovered, it's really important that you run AllTests.php within the component folder too as otherwise you get incorrect results.

I also want to thank Gary, Robert, David, Mike, Martin and Tomáš for running the tests and recording your results. Your help is really appreciated. There's still time for everyone else to run them too!

(If you fancy fixing a bug, look for the FixForZF1.12 label on the issue tracker!)

Regards,

Rob...

On 24 Apr 2012, at 12:07, Rob Allen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently, ZF1's unit tests do not pass. If you have some spare time and would like to help out then fixing unit tests would be a very good use of your time!
>
> The svn code is here: http://framework.zend.com/svn/framework/standard/trunk/
>
> I have a public google docs spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag1fBz0q89aWdG9tUVdRY0d3dkVTaG91M0ZOWGxCaEE#gid=0
>
> If you want to help out, please create a new column and note your settings in the top 4 rows and then run the tests for each component by doing this:
>
> $ cd tests
> $ phpunit -d memory_limit=-1 Zend/ComponentName/AllTests.php
>
> Note your results in the spreadsheet. For all the ones that fail, we need either the test fixed or the library code fixed depending on what the problem is!
>
> You'll need PHPUnit version 3.4 to run the tests. This helpful blog post shows how to get it running side-by-side with PHPUnit 3.6: http://tech.vg.no/2011/11/29/running-multiple-versions-of-phpunit/
>

> Thanks,
>
> Rob...

Re: ZF1.12 unit test help

Tomáš Fejfar
On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 11:14 PM, Rob Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
As people have discovered, it's really important that you run AllTests.php within the component folder too as otherwise you get incorrect results.

Do I understand correctly, that to run  Zend/Log/AllTests.php  I should be in ./tests/Zend/Log ?

That does not work for me.

c:\temp\zf\tests\Zend\Loader>phpunit34 --stderr -d memory_limit=-1 AllTests.php
Warning: require_once(Zend/Loader/AutoloaderTest.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\temp\zf\tests\Zend\Loader\AllTests.php on line 27
Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required 'Zend/Loader/AutoloaderTest.php' (include_path='C:\pear-phpunit\xampp\php/pear;w:\www\frameworks\Zend\current;C:\xampp\php\pear\;w:\www\frameworks\Zend\bin;w:\www\frameworks\;c:\xampp\php\PEAR;c:\xampp\php\PEAR\PEAR;.') in C:\temp\zf\tests\Zend\Loader\AllTests.php on line 27

OR

c:\temp\zf\tests\Zend\Loader>phpunit34 --stderr -d memory_limit=-1 Zend/Loader/AllTests.php
PHPUnit 3.4.15 by Sebastian Bergmann.
Cannot open file "./Zend/Loader/AllTests.php".

Being in ./library folder means same result.

c:\temp\zf\library>phpunit34 --stderr -d memory_limit=-1 Zend/Loader/AllTests.php
PHPUnit 3.4.15 by Sebastian Bergmann.

Cannot open file "./Zend/Loader/AllTests.php".

Can you please clarify what you meant exactly?

Re: ZF1.12 unit test help

akrabat

On 28 Apr 2012, at 23:01, Tomáš Fejfar wrote:

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 11:14 PM, Rob Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
As people have discovered, it's really important that you run AllTests.php within the component folder too as otherwise you get incorrect results.

Do I understand correctly, that to run  Zend/Log/AllTests.php  I should be in ./tests/Zend/Log ?

Sorry. I should have been clearer.

You need to be in the tests/ directory.

so:

cd tests
phpunit34 --stderr -d memory_limit=-1 Zend/Loader/AllTests.php

Regards,

Rob...

Re: ZF1.12 unit test help

Mike Willbanks
Hello All,

> Currently, ZF1's unit tests do not pass. If you have some spare time and would like to help out then fixing unit tests would be a very good use of your time!
>
> The svn code is here: http://framework.zend.com/svn/framework/standard/trunk/
>
> I have a public google docs spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag1fBz0q89aWdG9tUVdRY0d3dkVTaG91M0ZOWGxCaEE#gid=0
>
> If you want to help out, please create a new column and note your settings in the top 4 rows and then run the tests for each component by doing this:
>
>        $ cd tests
>        $ phpunit -d memory_limit=-1 Zend/ComponentName/AllTests.php

We are currently missing AllTests.php for the following components:
1. Acl
2. Console
3. Currency
4. Date
6. Translate

In addition, I've posted a bash script in github to be able to run the
tests for you a bit easier rather than manually doing it.  This way
you can run it and leave it in the background until it is complete and
then log your results:
https://gist.github.com/c213c574704befff535a

Regards,

Mike

Re: ZF1.12 unit test help

-- Mike Willbanks <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Tuesday, 01 May 2012, 08:08 AM -0500):

> > Currently, ZF1's unit tests do not pass. If you have some spare time and would like to help out then fixing unit tests would be a very good use of your time!
> >
> > The svn code is here: http://framework.zend.com/svn/framework/standard/trunk/
> >
> > I have a public google docs spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag1fBz0q89aWdG9tUVdRY0d3dkVTaG91M0ZOWGxCaEE#gid=0
> >
> > If you want to help out, please create a new column and note your settings in the top 4 rows and then run the tests for each component by doing this:
> >
> >        $ cd tests
> >        $ phpunit -d memory_limit=-1 Zend/ComponentName/AllTests.php
>
> We are currently missing AllTests.php for the following components:
> 1. Acl
> 2. Console
> 3. Currency
> 4. Date
> 6. Translate
>
> In addition, I've posted a bash script in github to be able to run the
> tests for you a bit easier rather than manually doing it.  This way
> you can run it and leave it in the background until it is complete and
> then log your results:
> https://gist.github.com/c213c574704befff535a

Can you add this to the repo, actually, and update the dev notes to
instruct developers to use that script when running all tests?

Thanks!

Re: ZF1.12 unit test help

Mike Willbanks
Matthew,

>> > Currently, ZF1's unit tests do not pass. If you have some spare time and would like to help out then fixing unit tests would be a very good use of your time!
>> >
>> > The svn code is here: http://framework.zend.com/svn/framework/standard/trunk/
>> >
>> > I have a public google docs spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag1fBz0q89aWdG9tUVdRY0d3dkVTaG91M0ZOWGxCaEE#gid=0
>> >
>> > If you want to help out, please create a new column and note your settings in the top 4 rows and then run the tests for each component by doing this:
>> >
>> >        $ cd tests
>> >        $ phpunit -d memory_limit=-1 Zend/ComponentName/AllTests.php
>>
>> We are currently missing AllTests.php for the following components:
>> 1. Acl
>> 2. Console
>> 3. Currency
>> 4. Date
>> 6. Translate
>>
>> In addition, I've posted a bash script in github to be able to run the
>> tests for you a bit easier rather than manually doing it.  This way
>> you can run it and leave it in the background until it is complete and
>> then log your results:
>> https://gist.github.com/c213c574704befff535a
>
> Can you add this to the repo, actually, and update the dev notes to
> instruct developers to use that script when running all tests?

I certainly can; however, there are gaps since not everything has an
AllTests.php and certain top level components are not run.  I can add
these to the bash script as well if you would like?  It specifically
runs anything in Zend/*/AllTests.php to align with the spreadsheet
that we have.  I'll update the script after I get your feedback on
this, then open up a jira ticket to track the commit and update the
dev notes.

Regards,

Mike

Re: ZF1.12 unit test help

David Weinraub
On 05/01/2012 08:08 PM, Mike Willbanks wrote:
Hello All,

[...]

Cool script. Would have made my testing much easier. ;-)

But the `find` command on my Ubuntu 11.10 is producing an empty result. `find` appears to be version is 4.4.2.

Is there some system/version dependency that may not be apparent? Anyone else bumping into this?

--
David Weinraub
12