ZF manual comments rebooted

Greetings!

Those of you familiar with our manual are no doubt also aware of the
large amount of comment spam.

While we were actively using Akismet, and required valid CAPTCHAs, the
spam was basically out of control. My team has tried several times to
make a dent in the comments with the goal of switching to a
moderation-only paradigm, but it was a process that was going to take
many, many man-hours.

In the meantime, the signal-to-noise ratio in the comments has simply
been getting worse.

So, effective as of a few minutes ago, I've swapped out our home-grown
comment system and replaced it with Disqus, much as we did for the ZF2
blog. We do have a history of all comments, but due to the need to weed
through them to separate the good from the spam, I've not seeded Disqus
with them at this time.

Hopefully, we can now have much more fruitful commentary within the
manual.

Re: ZF manual comments rebooted

Ralf Eggert
Hi Matthew,

Disqus does not seem to be really spam free. See last comment here:

http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/learning.quickstart.intro.html

Best regards,

Ralf

Re: ZF manual comments rebooted

akrabat
hi Ralf,

I've found the moderation controls and started to actively moderate the ones that get through. I'll probably only go through once a week though, so if you spot anything that needs removing more quickly, let me know.

Regards,

Rob...

On 19 Mar 2012, at 20:22, Ralf Eggert wrote:

> Hi Matthew,
>
> Disqus does not seem to be really spam free. See last comment here:
>
> http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/learning.quickstart.intro.html
>
> Best regards,
>
> Ralf

Re: ZF manual comments rebooted

-- Ralf Eggert <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Monday, 19 March 2012, 09:22 PM +0100):
> Disqus does not seem to be really spam free. See last comment here:
>
> http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/learning.quickstart.intro.html

No system is perfect. Our moderators (my team and the CR Team) are
working on comments well, and trying to determine some guidelines for
when/how to moderate. There's a narrow line between moderating/deleting
as off-topic, and being censorial, however, and we want to be careful
not to censor reasonable criticism.