Quantcast

ZF Pear Channel Proposal

GavinZend
I have a green light from the Zend team for proposing this popular idea
to the Server Management Team:

Why?
- Friendly way to install *all* of the ZF, using well-known processes.
- Easy to update.
- Easy way to share an installation of ZF across multiple ZF apps.
- Easy way to provide access to "developer" release, although SVN is
preferred.

Where?
- Community Development Server.

Todo
- Create the pear channel.
- Create/update pear "components" (ZF preview release, and a developer
release).
- Add a wiki page explaining how to add and use the new pear channel.

All credits go to the many community members who first proposed this idea.

Cheers,
Gavin

Re: ZF Pear Channel Proposal

Stefan Koopmanschap
A very good idea indeed, this will probably be a boost in adoption for certain userfriendly-addicted people ;)

--
Stefan Koopmanschap
http://www.stefankoopmanschap.nl/
http://www.leftontheweb.com/

Re: ZF Pear Channel Proposal

Andries Seutens
Gavin this is great news!

This will hopefully boost the amount of people testing developer
components as well. I'm primarely looking at the Zend_Locale team here,
which barely received feedback/test results on their hard work.

We had the same issues with the manual. It was a serious hassle if
people wanted to help out with the translation of the manual (svn,
cygwin, compiling, docbook, ...). By making the switch to wiki, the
manual will be much more accessible. Hopefully the same thing will
happen with the pear channel that also offers to download the developer
releases.

Best regards,

Andries Seutens
Belgium
http://andries.systray.be

Gavin Vess schreef:

> I have a green light from the Zend team for proposing this popular
> idea to the Server Management Team:
>
> Why?
> - Friendly way to install *all* of the ZF, using well-known processes.
> - Easy to update.
> - Easy way to share an installation of ZF across multiple ZF apps.
> - Easy way to provide access to "developer" release, although SVN is
> preferred.
>
> Where?
> - Community Development Server.
>
> Todo
> - Create the pear channel.
> - Create/update pear "components" (ZF preview release, and a developer
> release).
> - Add a wiki page explaining how to add and use the new pear channel.
>
> All credits go to the many community members who first proposed this
> idea.
>
> Cheers,
> Gavin

RE: ZF Pear Channel Proposal

Charles-32
This is an excellent idea.  Maybe we could have two channels, like Symphony.
One for the latest build, and one for the latest "milestone" build.

http://www.symfony-project.com/content/download.html

-- Charles

Re: ZF Pear Channel Proposal

Thomas Weidner
You can do this by defining the release state you want to have...
Within pear you can say "default" or "alpha".

$ pear config-set preferred_state alpha

Greetings
Thomas

> This is an excellent idea.  Maybe we could have two channels, like
> Symphony.
> One for the latest build, and one for the latest "milestone" build.
>
> http://www.symfony-project.com/content/download.html
>
> -- Charles

I wish this (or something like it) was part of ZF

Charles-32

Re: I wish this (or something like it) was part of ZF

Stefan Koopmanschap
I think work is being done on an authentication proposal. If it's modular enough, someone could work on extensions for things like OpenID.

On 10/4/06, Charles <[hidden email]> wrote:
http://whobar.org/

http://www.leftontheweb.com/

Re: I wish this (or something like it) was part of ZF

GavinZend
Yes, work is actively underway, but we would like more people to join
the effort:

http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV/Auth+Team

We are trying to make Zend_Authenticate flexible enough to support many
different authentication schemes.

Cheers,
Gavin

Stefan Koopmanschap wrote:

> I think work is being done on an authentication proposal. If it's
> modular enough, someone could work on extensions for things like OpenID.
>
> On 10/4/06, *Charles * <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     http://whobar.org/
>

> --
> Stefan Koopmanschap
> http://www.stefankoopmanschap.nl/
> http://www.leftontheweb.com/

RE: I wish this (or something like it) was part of ZF

Charles-32
In addition to OpenID, both Yahoo! and Google have introduced authentication mechanisms as well, and I believe they'll be very popular.

http://developer.yahoo.com/auth/
http://code.google.com/apis/accounts/Authentication.html

Personally, I have encrypted user/passwords for 100+ accounts, and I'm looking forward to being able to help stop the insanity.   :^)

-- Charles

Re: I wish this (or something like it) was part of ZF

Markus Wolff-4
Gavin Vess schrieb:
> Yes, work is actively underway, but we would like more people to join
> the effort:
>
> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV/Auth+Team
>
> We are trying to make Zend_Authenticate flexible enough to support many
> different authentication schemes.

One thing that many authenticatin classes lack, IMHO, is support for
single-signon authentication services, meaning methods where you don't
get the username and password directly, but receive an authentication
token from a trusted server where the user has previously logged in.
Examples go from NTLM support to newer web-based services such as
Google's SSO thing or most recently Yahoo's BBAuth.

ZF doesn't need to support that very early in the game, IMHO, but it
should be considered in the design phase for the new auth component, so
that these things can be easily added in the future.

CU
  Markus

Re: I wish this (or something like it) was part of ZF

Christopher Thompson-2
I have proposed having a Credential class that you could wrapper the
factors for any kind of scheme. Then an Authenticator class would be
extended for each scheme to provide the second half of a
Credential/Authenticator pair for an Authentication Manager to run.
These would really just be adapters to provide a standard interface for
all Credentials/Authenticators for use by the Authentication Manager.