ZF Open Source Project: Example of Best Practices?

ZF Open Source Project: Example of Best Practices?

swilhelm
Prompted by Fozzyuw's latest post, I will approach the issue from a different tack.

I am looking open source projects that exemplify the best practice use of the Zend Framework and its advanced features.  Ideally these projects would:

+ be under active development
+ be based on ZF 1.9
+ leverage reusable modules
+ incorporate Auth and ACL (bonus points for OpenId or Facebook Connect support)
+ provide Zend_Test-based unit tests
+ deploy from a source repository (e.g. git or svn)
+ achievs scalability using multiple server load balancing
++ get bonus points they are currently running in production on a cloud platform like EC2

Any recommendations?

- Steve W.

Re: ZF Open Source Project: Example of Best Practices?

Ben Scholzen 'DASPRiD'
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: ZF Open Source Project: Example of Best Practices?

Jigal Sanders
I agree that this would be a good idea!
Maybe someone had time for it. SInce a lot op people complain about the bad documentation this would be a good addon.

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 9:52 PM, swilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

Prompted by Fozzyuw's latest post, I will approach the issue from a different
tack.

I am looking open source projects that exemplify the best practice use of
the Zend Framework and its advanced features.  Ideally these projects would:

+ be under active development
+ be based on ZF 1.9
+ leverage reusable modules
+ incorporate Auth and ACL (bonus points for OpenId or Facebook Connect
support)
+ provide Zend_Test-based unit tests
+ deploy from a source repository (e.g. git or svn)
+ achievs scalability using multiple server load balancing
++ get bonus points they are currently running in production on a cloud
platform like EC2

Any recommendations?

- Steve W.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal Sanders
A.J. Ernststraat 739
1082 LK Amsterdam
Mobiel: 06-42111489

Re: ZF Open Source Project: Example of Best Practices?

swilhelm
Ben Scholzen 'DASPRiD' wrote
You could take a look at my blog's sourcecode. The new one I'm currently
working in is not finished yet but should give you a good example.

http://site.svn.dasprids.de/trunk
Ben, thanks for the link. Any other open source projects using ZF 1.9 the community can recommend?

Re: ZF Open Source Project: Example of Best Practices?

till
On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 9:03 PM, swilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ben Scholzen 'DASPRiD' wrote:
>>
>> You could take a look at my blog's sourcecode. The new one I'm currently
>> working in is not finished yet but should give you a good example.
>>
>> http://site.svn.dasprids.de/trunk
>>

> Ben, thanks for the link. Any other open source projects using ZF 1.9 the
> community can recommend?

Maybe check on irc (freenode, #zftalk) what people "say".

Till

RE: ZF Open Source Project: Example of Best Practices?

wllm

Simplecloud.org currently runs on EC2 and the next generation of Digitalus. It’s even using components of Zend_Service_Amazon and the Simple Cloud API- it’s ‘cloud native’, so to speak. J I may be able to open-source the code, but I’d have to talk with Forrest (creator/maintainer of DigitalusCMS) first.

I’m also working on an app called the Simple Cloud Explorer that is designed to demo SCAPI in action. This will definitely be open-sourced and liberally commented/documented, but I can’t make any promises on the release date.

,Wil

Mobiel: 06-42111489

RE: ZF Open Source Project: Example of Best Practices?

swilhelm
Thanks Wil.

You mentioned Digitalus, http://digitaluscms.com. It seems like it might be the best example open source project running on ZF.  They mention version 2.0 is under development and will take advantage of more core ZF components, but I can not find a public source repository containing version 2.0.

- Steve W.

wllm wrote

,Wil

RE: ZF Open Source Project: Example of Best Practices?

wllm
From what Forrest has told me, he follows Zend's recommendations for
best practices to the letter.

I'm CC'ing Forrest in so he can say for sure, but he's currently working
on getting the code and infrastructure ready for public consumption.

,Wil

wllm wrote:

> Simplecloud.org currently runs on EC2 and the next generation of
> Digitalus. It's even using components of Zend_Service_Amazon and the
> Simple Cloud API- it's 'cloud native', so to speak. J I may be able to
> open-source the code, but I'd have to talk with Forrest
> (creator/maintainer of DigitalusCMS) first.
>
> I'm also working on an app called the Simple Cloud Explorer that is
> designed to demo SCAPI in action. This will definitely be open-sourced
> and liberally commented/documented, but I can't make any promises on
the
> release date.
>
> ,Wil

RE: ZF Open Source Project: Example of Best Practices?

swilhelm
Any word from Forest regarding ZF core component use in current release and where find the 2.0 repository?

- Steve W.

wllm wrote
From what Forrest has told me, he follows Zend's recommendations for

wllm wrote:

> Simplecloud.org currently runs on EC2 and the next generation of
> Digitalus. It's even using components of Zend_Service_Amazon and the
> Simple Cloud API- it's 'cloud native', so to speak. J I may be able to
> open-source the code, but I'd have to talk with Forrest
> (creator/maintainer of DigitalusCMS) first.
>
> I'm also working on an app called the Simple Cloud Explorer that is
> designed to demo SCAPI in action. This will definitely be open-sourced
> and liberally commented/documented, but I can't make any promises on
the
> release date.
>
> ,Wil

Re: ZF Open Source Project: Example of Best Practices?

till
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 9:52 PM, swilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Prompted by Fozzyuw's latest post, I will approach the issue from a different
> tack.
>
> I am looking open source projects that exemplify the best practice use of
> the Zend Framework and its advanced features.  Ideally these projects would:
>
> + be under active development
> + be based on ZF 1.9
> + leverage reusable modules
> + incorporate Auth and ACL (bonus points for OpenId or Facebook Connect
> support)
> + provide Zend_Test-based unit tests
> + deploy from a source repository (e.g. git or svn)
> + achievs scalability using multiple server load balancing
> ++ get bonus points they are currently running in production on a cloud
> platform like EC2
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> - Steve W.

Hey Steve,

one of my clients has a pretty comprehensive ZF application and it
also runs on AWS. Unfortunately it's not open source, but I frequently
blog about our findings (shameless plug:
http://till.klampaeckel.de/blog/plugin/tag/zend-framework) and I'm
happy to answer questions if you run into any dead ends or need an
opinion.

An example for open source software using ZF would be piwik
(http://piwik.org). I just updated an installation and noticed that it
uses ZF as well. Don't know to which extend though.

Another example would be Tine - http://tine20.org. A open source
groupware, also written on top of ZF.

Then Magento Commerce (http://magentocommerce.com). They use a lot of
ZF, but not all of it, or rather, they came up with their own
questionable implementations in some cases. ;-) And last but not
least, I also read that OXID (another shop system) is currently being
rewritten using the ZF. They also have a community edition, so that
might be something for you to look at.

Oh, and then there's also a webblog system written with ZF (I forgot
the name - Ben would know about it), but I'm not sure how far they got
or if it currently works anyway. Last time I tried I failed to install
it, but I'm sure they progressed.

Till

Re: ZF Open Source Project: Example of Best Practices?

Thorsten Suckow-Homberg
Just to quickly throw in my Open Source project: conjoon, a personal information manager build upon Ext JS and Zend Framework. More information here: http://www.conjoon.org

It runs on ZF 1.9.4 - the ContextSwitch helper was a life saver when working with JSON encoded responses.

There are currently no Unit Tests but I hope I can switch my development process when it comes to include new functionality.

--
Thorsten Suckow-Homberg
Jakobstrasse 214-216

Tel.:  0151 -10927135
Email: [hidden email]

You should follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ThorstenSuckow

Sent with conjoon. Visit http://www.conjoon.org

Re: ZF Open Source Project: Example of Best Practices?

-- swilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Wednesday, 09 December 2009, 08:24 PM -0800):
> Any word from Forest regarding ZF core component use in current release and
> where find the 2.0 repository?

If you're talking the ZF 2.0 repository, it hasn't been created yet. ;)

> wllm wrote:
> >
> > From what Forrest has told me, he follows Zend's recommendations for
> > best practices to the letter.
> >
> > I'm CC'ing Forrest in so he can say for sure, but he's currently working
> > on getting the code and infrastructure ready for public consumption.
> >
> > ,Wil

Juan Felipe Alvarez Saldarriaga-3
wow, pretty nice :)

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 7:12 AM, Thorsten Suckow-Homberg
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just to quickly throw in my Open Source project: conjoon, a personal information manager build upon Ext JS and Zend Framework. More information here: http://www.conjoon.org
>
> It runs on ZF 1.9.4 - the ContextSwitch helper was a life saver when working with JSON encoded responses.
>
> There are currently no Unit Tests but I hope I can switch my development process when it comes to include new functionality.
>
> --
> Thorsten Suckow-Homberg
> Jakobstrasse 214-216
> 52064 Aachen
> http://www.siteartwork.de
>
> Tel.:  0151 -10927135
> Email: [hidden email]
>
> You should follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ThorstenSuckow
>
> Sent with conjoon. Visit http://www.conjoon.org

RE: ZF Open Source Project: Example of Best Practices?

wllm
I believe we're talking about the Digitalus 2.0 repo. I've heard some
encouraging news from Forrest, so stay tuned!

,Wil