Twitter Bootstrap Modules

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Twitter Bootstrap Modules

Ralf Eggert
Hi,

currently I found three ZF2 Modules which support Twitter Bootstrap:

https://github.com/mwillbanks/ZfcTwitterBootstrap
https://github.com/widmogrod/zf2-twitter-bootstrap-module
https://bitbucket.org/dlu/dlutwbootstrap/

I currently use the last one from David Lukas. The middle one seems to
be a little dead. The first one could probably be added to ZF-Commons
(no news on this since a long time I think).

I wonder if the resource could be bundled to create one "official"
module that supports almost all Twitter Bootstrap features. To pick one
for ZF-Commons would be a good start, but maybe some stuff from the
other modules could be merged to it.

Any ideas or feelings about this?

Regards,

Ralf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Twitter Bootstrap Modules

EvanDotPro
On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 3:00 AM, Ralf Eggert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> currently I found three ZF2 Modules which support Twitter Bootstrap:
>
> https://github.com/mwillbanks/ZfcTwitterBootstrap
> https://github.com/widmogrod/zf2-twitter-bootstrap-module
> https://bitbucket.org/dlu/dlutwbootstrap/

There's at least 2 or three more I've seen floating around. NIH is
strong with this one. :)


But really, I'd like to see it normalized into something more official
and maintained. Though, at the same time I think (hope) what will
happen once we have a decent modules community site with
voting/rating/etc is a process of natural selection. In cases where
you have 50 people trying to do it themselves, you'll see the crap
modules stay at the bottom and those of high quality will float to the
top.

---
Evan Coury, ZCE
http://blog.evan.pro/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Twitter Bootstrap Modules

Ralf Eggert
Hi Evan,

Evan Coury schrieb am 26.09.2012 12:57:
> But really, I'd like to see it normalized into something more official
> and maintained. Though, at the same time I think (hope) what will
> happen once we have a decent modules community site with
> voting/rating/etc is a process of natural selection. In cases where
> you have 50 people trying to do it themselves, you'll see the crap
> modules stay at the bottom and those of high quality will float to the
> top.

Sounds great. But until then I need to find the best module myself.

Anyway, when is the voting to add one of these to ZF-Commons finished?

Regards,

Ralf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Twitter Bootstrap Modules

Mike Willbanks
> Evan Coury schrieb am 26.09.2012 12:57:
>> But really, I'd like to see it normalized into something more official
>> and maintained. Though, at the same time I think (hope) what will
>> happen once we have a decent modules community site with
>> voting/rating/etc is a process of natural selection. In cases where
>> you have 50 people trying to do it themselves, you'll see the crap
>> modules stay at the bottom and those of high quality will float to the
>> top.
>
> Sounds great. But until then I need to find the best module myself.
>
> Anyway, when is the voting to add one of these to ZF-Commons finished?

There has not been one yet.   I've been working on getting one that
fits into the ZF model since beta 1 or 2; some of them get a little
interesting in how they are actually being put together.  My goal is
to support 95% of bootstrap which is why mine has not yet been
submitted.  It is actually already being tested in a fairly large
deployment as well.

Overall; people just don't always feel like contributing and sometimes
just decide to create their own anyway.  Which makes this mess happen
in the first place :)

Regards,

Mike
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Twitter Bootstrap Modules

Ralf Eggert
Hi Mike,

> Overall; people just don't always feel like contributing and sometimes
> just decide to create their own anyway.  Which makes this mess happen
> in the first place :)

I will give your module a try tomorrow and see what it offers so far.

Regards,

Ralf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Twitter Bootstrap Modules

Ralf Eggert
In reply to this post by Mike Willbanks
Hi Mike,

I just tried to install it via composer with

    "require": {
        "php": ">=5.3.3",
        "zendframework/zendframework": "2.*",

        [...]

        "mwillbanks/zfc-twitter-bootstrap": "dev-master"
    }

but I guess it was not added to packagist.org yet. So I will go the
manual way with git clone now. I just want to state this before I forget.

Regards,

Ralf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Twitter Bootstrap Modules

Bas Kamer
try adding the following to your composer.json

    "repositories": [
        {
            "type": "vcs",
            "url": "http://github.com/mwillbanks/ZfcTwitterBootstrap.git"
        }
    ],


On 28 sep. 2012, at 12:11, Ralf Eggert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> I just tried to install it via composer with
>
>    "require": {
>        "php": ">=5.3.3",
>        "zendframework/zendframework": "2.*",
>
>        [...]
>
>        "mwillbanks/zfc-twitter-bootstrap": "dev-master"
>    }
>
> but I guess it was not added to packagist.org yet. So I will go the
> manual way with git clone now. I just want to state this before I forget.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ralf

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Twitter Bootstrap Modules

Ralf Eggert
Hi Bas,

I also tried it with the repositories information from the README here:

https://github.com/mwillbanks/ZfcTwitterBootstrap/blob/master/README.md

But I always got the

    Your requirements could not be resolved to an installable set
    of packages.

error. With a manual installation if

    /vendor/ZfcTwitterBootstrap/

it does work. But since I want to write a module the requires
ZfcTwitterBootstrap it would be much easier, if the packagist.org entry
would be available and if it would be installed properly in

    /vendor/mwillbanks/zfc-twitter-bootstrap

which is defined in the composer.json.

Regards,

Ralf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Twitter Bootstrap Modules

Ralf Eggert
In reply to this post by EvanDotPro
Hi again,

> But really, I'd like to see it normalized into something more official
> and maintained.

I hope that myself. I had a look at most of these TB modules but none of
them really satiesfied me. If I wouldn't be so busy I would start my own
implementation... ;-)

Anyway I think if one of these modules is included in the ZF-Commons
selection that would be really helpful. Then we could concentrate on
this implementation and still leave room for others.

Regards,

Ralf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Twitter Bootstrap Modules

basz
In reply to this post by EvanDotPro

[10:32am] basz:mwillbanks: especially "the goal is to ultimately get this into the ZF-Commons area" - Can we just do this to get collaboration move faster?


On 26 sep. 2012, at 12:57, Evan Coury <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 3:00 AM, Ralf Eggert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> currently I found three ZF2 Modules which support Twitter Bootstrap:
>>
>> https://github.com/mwillbanks/ZfcTwitterBootstrap
>> https://github.com/widmogrod/zf2-twitter-bootstrap-module
>> https://bitbucket.org/dlu/dlutwbootstrap/
>
> There's at least 2 or three more I've seen floating around. NIH is
> strong with this one. :)
>
>
> But really, I'd like to see it normalized into something more official
> and maintained. Though, at the same time I think (hope) what will
> happen once we have a decent modules community site with
> voting/rating/etc is a process of natural selection. In cases where
> you have 50 people trying to do it themselves, you'll see the crap
> modules stay at the bottom and those of high quality will float to the
> top.
>
> ---
> Evan Coury, ZCE
> http://blog.evan.pro/



bushbaby multimedia ontwerp & uitvoering
[hidden email] | +31(0)6 2897 7426 | kvk 34125878

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Twitter Bootstrap Modules

Wesley Overdijk
I'm starting development on a twitter bootstrap module today. It will be have the same setup as the AssetManager, and will also have the AssetManager as a dependency. I need this currently, so development will move quickly. If you can wait for a short while, there will be a fully functional, fully documented bootstrap module coming soon. (I'll ask evan about Zfc and AssetManager / my bootstrap module).

Cheers.

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Bas Kamer <[hidden email]> wrote:

[10:32am] basz:mwillbanks: especially "the goal is to ultimately get this into the ZF-Commons area" - Can we just do this to get collaboration move faster?


On 26 sep. 2012, at 12:57, Evan Coury <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 3:00 AM, Ralf Eggert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> currently I found three ZF2 Modules which support Twitter Bootstrap:
>>
>> https://github.com/mwillbanks/ZfcTwitterBootstrap
>> https://github.com/widmogrod/zf2-twitter-bootstrap-module
>> https://bitbucket.org/dlu/dlutwbootstrap/
>
> There's at least 2 or three more I've seen floating around. NIH is
> strong with this one. :)
>
>
> But really, I'd like to see it normalized into something more official
> and maintained. Though, at the same time I think (hope) what will
> happen once we have a decent modules community site with
> voting/rating/etc is a process of natural selection. In cases where
> you have 50 people trying to do it themselves, you'll see the crap
> modules stay at the bottom and those of high quality will float to the
> top.
>
> ---
> Evan Coury, ZCE
> http://blog.evan.pro/



bushbaby multimedia ontwerp & uitvoering
[hidden email] | <a href="tel:%2B31%280%296%202897%207426" value="+31628977426" target="_blank">+31(0)6 2897 7426 | kvk 34125878


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Twitter Bootstrap Modules

Andreas Möller
Hello Wesley,


> I'm starting development on a twitter bootstrap module today. It will be have the same setup as the AssetManager, and will also have the AssetManager as a dependency. I need this currently, so development will move quickly. If you can wait for a short while, there will be a fully functional, fully documented bootstrap module coming soon. (I'll ask evan about Zfc and AssetManager / my bootstrap module).

How are you progressing? Do you need any help?


Best regards,

Andreas
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Twitter Bootstrap Modules

Wesley Overdijk
Hello Andreas.

I have a module setup with basic functionality. It can be found here: https://github.com/RWOverdijk/SxBootstrap
It already has support for overriding variables, enabling/disabling components and some view helpers.

I've had permission to take other view helpers from this module: https://github.com/mwillbanks/ZfcTwitterBootstrap

Help is always welcome. (I'm currently busy with backend so I'm not working on the module).

Cheers.


On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Andreas Möller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Wesley,


> I'm starting development on a twitter bootstrap module today. It will be have the same setup as the AssetManager, and will also have the AssetManager as a dependency. I need this currently, so development will move quickly. If you can wait for a short while, there will be a fully functional, fully documented bootstrap module coming soon. (I'll ask evan about Zfc and AssetManager / my bootstrap module).

How are you progressing? Do you need any help?


Best regards,

Andreas

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Twitter Bootstrap Modules

ThaDafinser
Hello together,

i also tried now some of the Twitter Bootstrap modules around (especially for forms).
Here is my review:

- form is not complete (not all options available)
- no different element type abstraction (view helper)
+ chance for implementing to Zfc (would be great)

+ found nothing what is missing for the form
- custom view configuration is complicated

- form is not complete (not all options available)
- no different element type abstraction (view helper)
+ nice default "one liner" rendering

- seems similar to ZfcTwitterBootstrap (without actual trying)

- no update sind 9 months...so not tried


I think one the first two should get pushed. Currently i use personally "DluTwBootstrap".

What is missing in all implementations is following:
The defined filter and validator should be used in the rendering.
For example: Required could generate the "*" suffix for the label and in the input markup the "required" statement, that new browser automatically do the validation.

I think Evan Coury said it right: Voting would speed up the natural selection on this....

Best regards
Martin Keckeis
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Twitter Bootstrap Modules

Wesley Overdijk
I've looked at all of those, and I'm still convinced that mine is the better core. It has a lot more core functionality, and allows overriding of options and building styles. It can also be updated, and built. Config options are available in the variables.less file, as well as the bootstrap customization page. I also allow enabling/disabling plugins. If it's missing something, PR? I've actually used the view helpers from ZfcTwitterBootstrap (with permission from mwillbanks) making it the more complete module.

I would very much like extra interest in my module because of the basic functionality it already supplies.

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Martin Keckeis <[hidden email]> wrote:
What is missing in all implementations is following:
The defined filter and validator should be used in the rendering.
For example: Required could generate the "*" suffix for the label and in the input markup the "required" statement, that new browser automatically do the validation.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Twitter Bootstrap Modules

mattcockayne
HI All,

I'm sure that all of the people who have created Bootstrap modules will be happy to fight the corner for their implemetation. Having looked at them all they all have pros & cons.

Personally I'm not too bothered about an official Bootstrap module (unless its supplied by the bootstrap team maybe) and dont think that the ZFC team should be concentrating on providing a bootstrap module but that's just my opinion.

ZucchiBootstrap is my effort into providing a bootstrap module. I originally made it to fulfil some basic needs for me to be able to take any "Zend\Form" and apply some boostrap styling and havent really evolved it beyond that and a few simple view helpers.

As such its rather simplistic (and not particularly pretty) but I'm open to improving/extending it to be something that could be used by others.

Regardless of what happens with an official bootstrap module I will be continuing to maintain and improve my own module.

If you add an issue or PR to github Im quite happy to upgrade/fix/merge things.

Matt






On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Wesley Overdijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've looked at all of those, and I'm still convinced that mine is the better core. It has a lot more core functionality, and allows overriding of options and building styles. It can also be updated, and built. Config options are available in the variables.less file, as well as the bootstrap customization page. I also allow enabling/disabling plugins. If it's missing something, PR? I've actually used the view helpers from ZfcTwitterBootstrap (with permission from mwillbanks) making it the more complete module.

I would very much like extra interest in my module because of the basic functionality it already supplies.


On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Martin Keckeis <[hidden email]> wrote:
What is missing in all implementations is following:
The defined filter and validator should be used in the rendering.
For example: Required could generate the "*" suffix for the label and in the input markup the "required" statement, that new browser automatically do the validation.




--
Matt Cockayne

Zucchi ! Digital Perfection
Developer in Charge

t: +44 (0) 843 557 1751
m: +44 (0) 773 836 4766
a: 26 Avon Rd / Cheadle / Cheshire / SK8 3LS



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Twitter Bootstrap Modules

Mike Willbanks
In reply to this post by Wesley Overdijk
ZfcTwitterBootstrap which I had originally written is mostly incorporated into SxBootstrap.
I do have some questions:
- What am I missing from the form?  I know that there is now a few additional view helpers but basically everything is being done on the view helper level to ensure that we don't have to customize the actual elements itself.  Since bootstrap simply just changes the markup that is pretty much all that needs to be done.  If you start to see it on a form element level there is a massive amount of code duplication.

What is missing in most of these is complete integration for instance:
* Zend\Navigation integration
* Pagination integration
* View Helpers for Tables, Thumbnails, Progress Bars, etc.
* Possible integration with custom building of bootstrap

Basically all I am saying is that none of these are feature complete and it would be nice for us to get to the point where there is a mostly standard to reduce the amount of code duplication.  I have said it before that I am more than willing to work on whichever library someone wants to standardize on (if there is any consensus) since right now I only build in support for things that I can either complete quickly or that I need myself at any point.

Regards,

Mike


On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 4:46 AM, Wesley Overdijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've looked at all of those, and I'm still convinced that mine is the better core. It has a lot more core functionality, and allows overriding of options and building styles. It can also be updated, and built. Config options are available in the variables.less file, as well as the bootstrap customization page. I also allow enabling/disabling plugins. If it's missing something, PR? I've actually used the view helpers from ZfcTwitterBootstrap (with permission from mwillbanks) making it the more complete module.

I would very much like extra interest in my module because of the basic functionality it already supplies.


On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Martin Keckeis <[hidden email]> wrote:
What is missing in all implementations is following:
The defined filter and validator should be used in the rendering.
For example: Required could generate the "*" suffix for the label and in the input markup the "required" statement, that new browser automatically do the validation.