Threads without a start

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Threads without a start

Ralf Eggert
Hi,

in the last few days lots of threads in the general list startet with a
reply. The corresponding start messages seem to be stuck somewhere.

Can these be pushed to the list to complete these threads?
Can this be automated somehow?

Regards,

Ralf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Threads without a start

Walter Tamboer
Welcome to the club.


I've been complaining about this a while ago on the ML but also on IRC. I also came with alternatives but a lot of people seem to prefer a ML over a forum for example. I totally understand why people prefer the ML. What I don't understand is why people like e-mails that come in at random order, e-mails that contain HUGE amount of texts that is quoted so you need to scroll for a minute before you can read the message or e-mails that are just messed up beyond believe because some e-mail client seems to not have its day.
To be fair, a lot of people also said that they don't mind what tool is used as long as they can keep the possibility to use it through e-mail.


Anyway... once again I would like to take this opportunity to say how much I hate the ML :-) The only reason I am subscribed is because I want to stay up-to-date with the latest information.



</rant>


Have a nice day all!


Walter



> Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 22:18:11 +0200

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [zf-contributors] Threads without a start
>
> Hi,
>
> in the last few days lots of threads in the general list startet with a
> reply. The corresponding start messages seem to be stuck somewhere.
>
> Can these be pushed to the list to complete these threads?
> Can this be automated somehow?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ralf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Threads without a start

ThaDafinser
Hello Walter,

i party understand your arguments.
But I don't got some of the problems which you mentioned. In gmail for example all mails from one topic are threaded and the quoting is hidded.
So the random order and big quotings dont hurry you.

Isn't this a "default" or a standard at all newer mail clients / webmails?

Best regards
Martin Keckeis


2012/9/21 Walter Tamboer <[hidden email]>
Welcome to the club.


I've been complaining about this a while ago on the ML but also on IRC. I also came with alternatives but a lot of people seem to prefer a ML over a forum for example. I totally understand why people prefer the ML. What I don't understand is why people like e-mails that come in at random order, e-mails that contain HUGE amount of texts that is quoted so you need to scroll for a minute before you can read the message or e-mails that are just messed up beyond believe because some e-mail client seems to not have its day.
To be fair, a lot of people also said that they don't mind what tool is used as long as they can keep the possibility to use it through e-mail.


Anyway... once again I would like to take this opportunity to say how much I hate the ML :-) The only reason I am subscribed is because I want to stay up-to-date with the latest information.



</rant>


Have a nice day all!


Walter



> Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 22:18:11 +0200
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [zf-contributors] Threads without a start

>
> Hi,
>
> in the last few days lots of threads in the general list startet with a
> reply. The corresponding start messages seem to be stuck somewhere.
>
> Can these be pushed to the list to complete these threads?
> Can this be automated somehow?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ralf

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Threads without a start

Bas Kamer
In reply to this post by Ralf Eggert
On 20 sep. 2012, at 22:18, Ralf Eggert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in the last few days lots of threads in the general list startet with a
> reply. The corresponding start messages seem to be stuck somewhere.

Hello,

First I thought it was a smtp-server issue, but recently I subscribed with an me.com address, which should work i guess ... :-( no luck it seems. still random randomness

So I would like to express my feelings about the mailing list - it is and has been totally unreliable for me for months... On some addresses I don't get any response. For some I do - but I also noticed that the online archive is more complete then what I receive locally... Partly it is me... using the fw and zf prefixes for the wrong ones... (i won't get notified) or just pressing reply which does not send to the list but to the sender (sorry ralph).

That said - I am going - optimistically - to try it again...

bas(z)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Threads without a start

SpiffyJr
I'd prefer a forum based system as well but, alas, several prefer a ML for whatever reason.

Kyle S
"There is a tide in the affairs of men. Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; Omitted, all the voyage of their life Is bound in shallows and in miseries." - WIlliam Shakespeare



On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 4:41 AM, Bas Kamer <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 20 sep. 2012, at 22:18, Ralf Eggert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in the last few days lots of threads in the general list startet with a
> reply. The corresponding start messages seem to be stuck somewhere.

Hello,

First I thought it was a smtp-server issue, but recently I subscribed with an me.com address, which should work i guess ... :-( no luck it seems. still random randomness

So I would like to express my feelings about the mailing list - it is and has been totally unreliable for me for months... On some addresses I don't get any response. For some I do - but I also noticed that the online archive is more complete then what I receive locally... Partly it is me... using the fw and zf prefixes for the wrong ones... (i won't get notified) or just pressing reply which does not send to the list but to the sender (sorry ralph).

That said - I am going - optimistically - to try it again...

bas(z)

Kyle S
blogs @ www.spiffyjr.me
github @ www.github.com/spiffyjr
follow @ www.twitter.com/spiffyjr
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Threads without a start

weierophinney
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ralf Eggert
-- Ralf Eggert <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Thursday, 20 September 2012, 10:18 PM +0200):
> in the last few days lots of threads in the general list startet with a
> reply. The corresponding start messages seem to be stuck somewhere.
>
> Can these be pushed to the list to complete these threads?
> Can this be automated somehow?

We had some DNS issues on our list server, which are now resolved.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
Project Lead            | [hidden email]
Zend Framework          | http://framework.zend.com/
PGP key: http://framework.zend.com/zf-matthew-pgp-key.asc