Skeleton application + module(s)

123

Skeleton application + module(s)

EvanDotPro
Hi all,

Per a discussion with Matthew on IRC, we'd like to set up a "skeleton"
application with a default module under the zendframework organization
on GitHub to provide a clean starting point for those looking to dive
into ZF2.

That said, I pose a simple question: what does everyone think should
(or should _not_) be included in this "skeleton"?

---
Evan Coury
http://blog.evan.pro/

--
List: [hidden email]

Re: Skeleton application + module(s)

Simon Walter
On Thursday, September 29, 2011, Evan Coury wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Per a discussion with Matthew on IRC, we'd like to set up a "skeleton"
> application with a default module under the zendframework organization
> on GitHub to provide a clean starting point for those looking to dive
> into ZF2.
>
> That said, I pose a simple question: what does everyone think should
> (or should _not_) be included in this "skeleton"?

The Zend Tool provides a pretty good skeleton. Perhaps some useful
configuration examples in the application.ini of any changes from ZF1 would be
nice. Even some commented examples like the ones at:
http://framework.zend.com/manual/1.11/en/zend.application.available-
resources.html

BTW, almost everything I ported over from a ZF1 app worked without changes. So
there may be nothing new.

--
List: [hidden email]

Re: Skeleton application + module(s)

Benoît Durand
Le 29 sept. 11 à 05:41, Simon Walter a écrit :

> BTW, almost everything I ported over from a ZF1 app worked without
> changes. So
> there may be nothing new.
Do you play with master or prototype/mvc-module branch?

--
Benoît Durand

On Thursday, September 29, 2011, Benoît Durand wrote:
> Le 29 sept. 11 à 05:41, Simon Walter a écrit :
> > BTW, almost everything I ported over from a ZF1 app worked without
> > changes. So
> > there may be nothing new.
>
> Do you play with master or prototype/mvc-module branch?

Master - dev4.

I've don't like MVC as a module. I like the way Zend's MVC works. From my
point of view, it is essential to a Zend Application. From what I've heard,
the improvments to the mvc-module will be ported to the main branch, so it is
not necessary to use that module to get MVC functionality. Is that correct?

--
List: [hidden email]

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 10:43 PM, Simon Walter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've don't like MVC as a module. I like the way Zend's MVC works. From my
> point of view, it is essential to a Zend Application. From what I've heard,
> the improvments to the mvc-module will be ported to the main branch, so it is
> not necessary to use that module to get MVC functionality. Is that correct?

Are you saying you don't like the new stuff in Matthew's ZendMvc
"module" within his prototype/mvc-module branch and that you'd prefer
to stick with the "ZF1" stuff under Zend\Application and
Zend\Controller? If so, might I ask why?

If you're simply asking if you can opt out of the module system and
still utilize MVC, then the answer is yes, absolutely. Modules and MVC
are entirely independent. MVC does not require that your application
use modules, and the module system does not require that you use
anything MVC-related.

--
Evan Coury

--
List: [hidden email]

Re: Skeleton application + module(s)

Simon Walter
On Thursday, September 29, 2011, Evan Coury wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 10:43 PM, Simon Walter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I've don't like MVC as a module. I like the way Zend's MVC works. From my
> > point of view, it is essential to a Zend Application. From what I've
> > heard, the improvments to the mvc-module will be ported to the main
> > branch, so it is not necessary to use that module to get MVC
> > functionality. Is that correct?
>
> Are you saying you don't like the new stuff in Matthew's ZendMvc
> "module" within his prototype/mvc-module branch and that you'd prefer
> to stick with the "ZF1" stuff under Zend\Application and
> Zend\Controller? If so, might I ask why?

I'm sure the new stuff is great. I've read a bit about it but haven't tried it.
What I'd prefer is not to have the MVC code as a separate module, as, with
ZF1, I used the MVC components (was it only Zend Controller?) extensively. I'm
sure there were things that could be improved, but I was overall happy with
it. Going on with ZF2, I'd plan to use the MVC components in many applications
as well and see it as a disadvatage to have a separate module that lives in
"user space". (I put Zend under: /usr/lib/php5)

> If you're simply asking if you can opt out of the module system and
> still utilize MVC, then the answer is yes, absolutely. Modules and MVC
> are entirely independent. MVC does not require that your application
> use modules, and the module system does not require that you use
> anything MVC-related.

That's what I thought. But from your above question about ZF1, it sounds like
you are implying that the components currently (dev4) residing at
Zend/Application and Zend/Controller are ZF1 code. Does the ZendMvc "module"
have any advantages? I read a lot about what should go into core. There is
also MVC. I'm guessing the reason why there is an MVC module is because MVC is
not a part of core...? Am I confused? Probably by now, yes...

In any case, the dev4 worked well without the ZendMvc module. I was able to
build up some test applications. I was happy about that, but I am left
wondering if I'm missing out on some nifty features or performance gain by not
using this module. I also read that the improvements will be ported back. I
can't remember where I read this. I may be mistaken to think that this means
that improvements will find there way back into the "stock" \Zend\Controller
etc.

Simon

--
List: [hidden email]

Re: Skeleton application + module(s)

-- Simon Walter <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Wednesday, 28 September 2011, 06:41 PM -0900):

> On Thursday, September 29, 2011, Evan Coury wrote:
> > Per a discussion with Matthew on IRC, we'd like to set up a "skeleton"
> > application with a default module under the zendframework organization
> > on GitHub to provide a clean starting point for those looking to dive
> > into ZF2.
> >
> > That said, I pose a simple question: what does everyone think should
> > (or should _not_) be included in this "skeleton"?
>
> The Zend Tool provides a pretty good skeleton. Perhaps some useful
> configuration examples in the application.ini of any changes from ZF1 would be
> nice. Even some commented examples like the ones at:
> http://framework.zend.com/manual/1.11/en/zend.application.available-
> resources.html
>
> BTW, almost everything I ported over from a ZF1 app worked without changes. So
> there may be nothing new.

We're talking apples and oranges here. You're talking ZF1, we're talking
the new MVC prototype. As such, the Zend_Tool-generated skeleton won't
work.

Regarding the old MVC, the two will live in parallel for a while yet,
and it's possible the ZF1 version will be an initial migration step to
get folks using ZF2. However, it will not be supported once we go stable
-- as in there will be no new features, and likely few if any bugfixes.

BTW, it looks very much like we may be able to emulate the ZF1-style
using the new MVC -- I have a POC up here:

    https://github.com/weierophinney/zf-quickstart/tree/features/zf2_mvc-zf1_emulation

List: [hidden email]

Re: Skeleton application + module(s)

-- Simon Walter <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Thursday, 29 September 2011, 05:38 AM -0900):

> On Thursday, September 29, 2011, Evan Coury wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 10:43 PM, Simon Walter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I've don't like MVC as a module. I like the way Zend's MVC works. From my
> > > point of view, it is essential to a Zend Application. From what I've
> > > heard, the improvments to the mvc-module will be ported to the main
> > > branch, so it is not necessary to use that module to get MVC
> > > functionality. Is that correct?
> >
> > Are you saying you don't like the new stuff in Matthew's ZendMvc
> > "module" within his prototype/mvc-module branch and that you'd prefer
> > to stick with the "ZF1" stuff under Zend\Application and
> > Zend\Controller? If so, might I ask why?
>
> I'm sure the new stuff is great. I've read a bit about it but haven't tried it.
> What I'd prefer is not to have the MVC code as a separate module,

It won't be; we're moving it under library today. :)

> as, with ZF1, I used the MVC components (was it only Zend Controller?)
> extensively. I'm sure there were things that could be improved, but I
> was overall happy with it. Going on with ZF2, I'd plan to use the MVC
> components in many applications as well and see it as a disadvatage to
> have a separate module that lives in "user space". (I put Zend under:
> /usr/lib/php5)
>

> > If you're simply asking if you can opt out of the module system and
> > still utilize MVC, then the answer is yes, absolutely. Modules and MVC
> > are entirely independent. MVC does not require that your application
> > use modules, and the module system does not require that you use
> > anything MVC-related.
>
> That's what I thought. But from your above question about ZF1, it
> sounds like you are implying that the components currently (dev4)
> residing at Zend/Application and Zend/Controller are ZF1 code.

They are. They will not be the new MVC; at best they will be a legacy
migration step for folks porting to ZF2.

> Does the ZendMvc "module"
> have any advantages? I read a lot about what should go into core. There is
> also MVC. I'm guessing the reason why there is an MVC module is because MVC is
> not a part of core...? Am I confused? Probably by now, yes...

I prototyped it as a module for a couple of reasons. First, it kept it
out of the library, which forced me to think about what real couplings I
needed with the library code (turned out to be just the Di, Http, Stdlib,
and EventManager components). Second, it allowed us to start prototyping
how modules would work in ZF2 -- something that we've seen as an
essential part of the 2.0 offering, as we want to encourage re-use as
much as possible.

However, now that the prototypes are tested and stabilizing, moving them
under the library makes sense, and we'll be doing so. They'll be under a
separate subnamespace from the ZF1-style MVC, which allows them to work
in parallel.

> In any case, the dev4 worked well without the ZendMvc module. I was
> able to build up some test applications. I was happy about that, but I
> am left wondering if I'm missing out on some nifty features or
> performance gain by not using this module.

Yes, you absolutely are. :)

The new MVC utilizes DI, which allows for loading only the components
needed for any given request -- instead of having all application
resources potentially needed loaded for every single request, which ZF1
does. Additionally, via the EventManager, we have the ability to
short-circuit execution as soon as we have a response -- which makes
things like redirects or throwing up "Unauthorized" pages very, very
fast. The EventManager also provides a ton of flexibility in sculpting
request-specific or controller-specific workflows, as well as tying into
just about any possible area of the MVC.

Definitely start playing with it!

> I also read that the improvements will be ported back. I can't
> remember where I read this.  I may be mistaken to think that this
> means that improvements will find there way back into the "stock"
> \Zend\Controller etc.

At most, these will be the new autoloaders and potentially the
EventManager -- but if the latter goes in, we will not be composing it
into any part of the ZF1 MVC at this time; it'll simply be a standalone
component for folks to use in their applications.

List: [hidden email]

On Thursday, September 29, 2011, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:

> I prototyped it as a module for a couple of reasons. First, it kept it
> out of the library, which forced me to think about what real couplings I
> needed with the library code (turned out to be just the Di, Http, Stdlib,
> and EventManager components). Second, it allowed us to start prototyping
> how modules would work in ZF2 -- something that we've seen as an
> essential part of the 2.0 offering, as we want to encourage re-use as
> much as possible.
>
> However, now that the prototypes are tested and stabilizing, moving them
> under the library makes sense, and we'll be doing so. They'll be under a
> separate subnamespace from the ZF1-style MVC, which allows them to work
> in parallel.

Has the location been decided? Eagerly awaiting...

> > In any case, the dev4 worked well without the ZendMvc module. I was
> > able to build up some test applications. I was happy about that, but I
> > am left wondering if I'm missing out on some nifty features or
> > performance gain by not using this module.
>
> Yes, you absolutely are. :)
>
> The new MVC utilizes DI, which allows for loading only the components
> needed for any given request -- instead of having all application
> resources potentially needed loaded for every single request, which ZF1
> does. Additionally, via the EventManager, we have the ability to
> short-circuit execution as soon as we have a response -- which makes
> things like redirects or throwing up "Unauthorized" pages very, very
> fast. The EventManager also provides a ton of flexibility in sculpting
> request-specific or controller-specific workflows, as well as tying into
> just about any possible area of the MVC.
>
> Definitely start playing with it!

That explains a whole lot. Thank you. So I guess using Zend Tool was a bit
premature. In the future it will use ZF2 MVC I suppose. I will definatly have
to take a look at how all this works.

--
List: [hidden email]

Re: Skeleton application + module(s)

-- Simon Walter <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Thursday, 29 September 2011, 06:42 AM -0900):

> On Thursday, September 29, 2011, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> > I prototyped it as a module for a couple of reasons. First, it kept it
> > out of the library, which forced me to think about what real couplings I
> > needed with the library code (turned out to be just the Di, Http, Stdlib,
> > and EventManager components). Second, it allowed us to start prototyping
> > how modules would work in ZF2 -- something that we've seen as an
> > essential part of the 2.0 offering, as we want to encourage re-use as
> > much as possible.
> >
> > However, now that the prototypes are tested and stabilizing, moving them
> > under the library makes sense, and we'll be doing so. They'll be under a
> > separate subnamespace from the ZF1-style MVC, which allows them to work
> > in parallel.
>
> Has the location been decided? Eagerly awaiting...

They'll be under Zend/Module/ and Zend/Mvc/, on the master branch...
working on it now, actually. :)

> > > In any case, the dev4 worked well without the ZendMvc module. I was
> > > able to build up some test applications. I was happy about that, but I
> > > am left wondering if I'm missing out on some nifty features or
> > > performance gain by not using this module.
> >
> > Yes, you absolutely are. :)
> >
> > The new MVC utilizes DI, which allows for loading only the components
> > needed for any given request -- instead of having all application
> > resources potentially needed loaded for every single request, which ZF1
> > does. Additionally, via the EventManager, we have the ability to
> > short-circuit execution as soon as we have a response -- which makes
> > things like redirects or throwing up "Unauthorized" pages very, very
> > fast. The EventManager also provides a ton of flexibility in sculpting
> > request-specific or controller-specific workflows, as well as tying into
> > just about any possible area of the MVC.
> >
> > Definitely start playing with it!
>
> That explains a whole lot. Thank you. So I guess using Zend Tool was a bit
> premature. In the future it will use ZF2 MVC I suppose. I will definatly have
> to take a look at how all this works.

List: [hidden email]

Re: Skeleton application + module(s)

Mike Willbanks
Let us know when you complete :) starting on a new app so were going to
start with this as a base.
On Sep 29, 2011 11:49 AM, "Matthew Weier O&apos;Phinney" <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> -- Simon Walter <[hidden email]> wrote
> (on Thursday, 29 September 2011, 06:42 AM -0900):
>> On Thursday, September 29, 2011, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
>> > I prototyped it as a module for a couple of reasons. First, it kept it
>> > out of the library, which forced me to think about what real couplings
>> > needed with the library code (turned out to be just the Di, Http,
Stdlib,
>> > and EventManager components). Second, it allowed us to start
prototyping
>> > how modules would work in ZF2 -- something that we've seen as an
>> > essential part of the 2.0 offering, as we want to encourage re-use as
>> > much as possible.
>> >
>> > However, now that the prototypes are tested and stabilizing, moving
them
>> > under the library makes sense, and we'll be doing so. They'll be under

>> > separate subnamespace from the ZF1-style MVC, which allows them to work
>> > in parallel.
>>
>> Has the location been decided? Eagerly awaiting...
>
> They'll be under Zend/Module/ and Zend/Mvc/, on the master branch...
> working on it now, actually. :)

>> > Yes, you absolutely are. :)
>> >
>> > The new MVC utilizes DI, which allows for loading only the components
>> > needed for any given request -- instead of having all application
>> > resources potentially needed loaded for every single request, which ZF1
>> > does. Additionally, via the EventManager, we have the ability to
>> > short-circuit execution as soon as we have a response -- which makes
>> > things like redirects or throwing up "Unauthorized" pages very, very
>> > fast. The EventManager also provides a ton of flexibility in sculpting
>> > request-specific or controller-specific workflows, as well as tying
into
>> > just about any possible area of the MVC.
>> >
>> > Definitely start playing with it!
>>
>> That explains a whole lot. Thank you. So I guess using Zend Tool was a
bit
>> premature. In the future it will use ZF2 MVC I suppose. I will definatly
have

>> to take a look at how all this works.
>
> --
> Matthew Weier O'Phinney
> Project Lead | [hidden email]
> Zend Framework | http://framework.zend.com/

> List: [hidden email]

Re: Skeleton application + module(s)

-- Mike Willbanks <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Thursday, 29 September 2011, 12:47 PM -0500):
> Let us know when you complete :) starting on a new app so were going to
> start with this as a base.

You can also pull from the zf-quickstart or Evan's sandbox repo:

 * https://github.com/weierophinney/zf-quickstart/tree/features/zf2-mvc-module
 * https://github.com/EvanDotPro/zf2-sandbox

These will likely be getting updates in the next day or so once I push
the Mvc and Module components into the library, but are otherwise
representative of how apps would be built.

For an example of a less trivial app, my zf2sandbox project might be of
interest:

 * http://git.mwop.net/?a=shortlog&p=zf2sandbox&h=refs/heads/feature/zf2-mvc
   (it's the feature/zf2-mvc branch, and can be cloned using the URI
   git://mwop.net/zf2-mvc)

> On Sep 29, 2011 11:49 AM, "Matthew Weier O&apos;Phinney" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > -- Simon Walter <[hidden email]> wrote
> > (on Thursday, 29 September 2011, 06:42 AM -0900):
> Stdlib,
> prototyping

> them
> >>
> >> Has the location been decided? Eagerly awaiting...
> >
> > They'll be under Zend/Module/ and Zend/Mvc/, on the master branch...
> > working on it now, actually. :)

> into

> >> That explains a whole lot. Thank you. So I guess using Zend Tool was a
> bit
> >> premature. In the future it will use ZF2 MVC I suppose. I will definatly
> have
> >> to take a look at how all this works.
> >
> > --
> > Matthew Weier O'Phinney
> > Project Lead | [hidden email]
> > Zend Framework | http://framework.zend.com/
> > PGP key: http://framework.zend.com/zf-matthew-pgp-key.asc
> >
> > --
> > List: [hidden email]
> > Info: http://framework.zend.com/archives

List: [hidden email]

Re: Skeleton application + module(s)

Jurian Sluiman
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

On Friday, September 30, 2011, Jurian Sluiman wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 7:47 PM, Mike Willbanks <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Let us know when you complete :) starting on a new app so were going to
> > start with this as a base.
>
> Yesterday Matthew finished the transformation process. The MVC is now in
> \Zend\Mvc and the Modules are in \Zend\Module. See the complete
> transformation log in the commit history:
> https://github.com/zendframework/zf2/commits/master
>
> The specific commit for the MVC move is this:
> https://github.com/zendframework/zf2/commit/7bdbc72639522b15d39b4801e8519d6
> abd99543c
>
> The specific commit for the Module move is this:
> https://github.com/zendframework/zf2/commit/e7cc3e44be74398bd8610105932004b
> 19cae4f01
>
> Have fun!
> Regards, Jurian

Fantastic!

--
List: [hidden email]

Re: Skeleton application + module(s)

EvanDotPro

There are now 3 additional repositories under the zendframework
organization on GitHub:

* ZendSkeletonApplication
https://github.com/zendframework/ZendSkeletonApplication
  ZendSkeletonApplication serves as a starting point for those looking
to get their feet wet in the new ZF2 MVC and module systems. It
provides a default "Application" module which sets up some of the
essentials such as a bootstrap class, index/error controllers and
views, a view listener, and default routes. Keep in mind, some stuff
that's currently in this module may end up being baked into the ZF
library and provided as defaults. Much of that is still TBD, but the
example here is functional as it stands.

* ZendSkeletonModule https://github.com/zendframework/ZendSkeletonModule
  ZendSkeletonModule is meant to serve as a starting point for those
looking to create a module. It focuses on how a module can plug into
the MVC system to provide an additional controller and view path.

* ZendDeveloperTools https://github.com/zendframework/ZendDeveloperTools
  ZendDeveloperTools will ultimately be a powerful tool for developers
to optimize, inspect, debug, and otherwise assist in the development
of their ZF applications. It will append a collapsible toolbar to the
page which will contain all sorts of useful information for
developers.

All 3 are brand new and contain just a few commits made by me to get
them started last night and this morning. If you have signed the CLA
and would like to assist on any of these, please check out my forks
for the latest commits, as development may be moving quickly, and/or
join us in #zftalk.2 on Freenode (you can ping me, EvanDotPro).

--
Evan Coury

--
List: [hidden email]

CONTENTS DELETED

Le 30 sept. 11 à 20:06, Jurian Sluiman a écrit :

>> * ZendSkeletonApplication
>> https://github.com/zendframework/ZendSkeletonApplication
>>  ZendSkeletonApplication serves as a starting point for those looking
>> to get their feet wet in the new ZF2 MVC and module systems. It
>> provides a default "Application" module which sets up some of the
>> essentials such as a bootstrap class, index/error controllers and
>> views, a view listener, and default routes. Keep in mind, some stuff
>> that's currently in this module may end up being baked into the ZF
>> library and provided as defaults. Much of that is still TBD, but the
>> example here is functional as it stands.
>
> A few questions:
>
> 1) The location of the views hasn't been addressed in the meeting of
> 9/14 I
> noticed, but why do you locate it in modules/Application and not in
> modules/Application/src/Application?
View scripts are a resource, and not a source -class- file. I disagree.

> 2) I am in great favor to place "application" generic logic into a
> \Zend\Application like namespace. Similar to the zf1
> Zend_Application, where
> an abstract Zend_Application_Module_Bootstrap was provided. I know
> about the
> \Zend\Mvc\Application, but that does not address the module
> bootstrap (yet)
I think that app skeleton is just a module as ZF1 style with all
business code in _one_ place. We don't need a bootstrap for a module,
we have a module manager now.

> 3) Will a demo with application resources be ready for the first
> beta? It was
> one of the best things from zf1 in my opinion and to convince
> existing users
> to use zf2, an application resource demo is a great tool.
You have already a demo with guestbook in quickstart. Application
resource is dead, now we have Di + Locator to setup dependencies in
your controller. So, keep up yours controllers locator aware :)

Greetings
--
Benoît Durand

CONTENTS DELETED

See https://github.com/weierophinney/zf-quickstart/tree/features/zf2-mvc-module
and https://github.com/EvanDotPro/zf2-sandbox/blob/master/docs/module-tutorial.md.

--
Evan Coury

--
List: [hidden email]

Re: Skeleton application + module(s)

Simon Walter
On Saturday, October 01, 2011, Jurian Sluiman wrote:
..

> But, I can already add in configs/application.config.php this kind of
> parameters?
>
> 'doctrine' => array('dsn' => 'mysql://user:password@localhost/mydatabase'),
> 'view' => array('encoding' => 'utf-8'),
> 'translate' => array('adapter' => 'array', 'data' => 'path/to/my/data/')
>
> you get my point :)
>
> Perhaps I've played too little with DI and the service locator to know what
> they're capable of. In the end, it is essential to be able to provide
> application wide configurations to set up objects used application wide,
> which are subsequently supplied to controllers through DI. As far as I
> know, \Zend\Di nor \Zend\Mvc nor \Zend\Module is capable of parsing this
> configuration and instantiate the required db/log/cache/etc when required.
>
> For my third point: I think a lot of developers are eager to know how they
> can enter such trivial data in an application config file and fetch the
> objects from the service locator in the controllers.

I'll have to second that. As for me this is where the programming begins. I
assume we are refering to this:
http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/zend.application.available-resources.html

It is *really* nice to be able to enter this into a config ini and be done with
it. It keeps your project clean, DRY, etc.

Users of the application (sys admins) could easily modify the ini file and
watch the application change like a chameleon. Very nice.

--
List: [hidden email]

123