Simple Cloud API Proposals

wllm

Hi all,

On Sept. 22, Zend launched the Simple Cloud API project: http://www.simplecloud.org

This ambitious project makes cloud application services from vendors such as Amazon, Microsoft Azure, and Rackspace available through one API, bringing the platform portability that you expect from PHP to the cloud.

I’m happy to announce that the proposals for Zend_Cloud_Storage, Zend_Cloud_Queue, and Zend_Cloud_Document are now ready for review.

Please take a look at the proposals and leave any feedback you have.

Thanks!

,Wil

Re: Simple Cloud API Proposals

-- Wil Sinclair <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Monday, 05 October 2009, 12:53 PM -0700):

> On Sept. 22, Zend launched the Simple Cloud API project: http://
> www.simplecloud.org
>
> This ambitious project makes cloud application services from vendors such as
> Amazon, Microsoft Azure, and Rackspace available through one API, bringing the
> platform portability that you expect from PHP to the cloud.
>
> I’m happy to announce that the proposals for Zend_Cloud_Storage,
> Zend_Cloud_Queue, and Zend_Cloud_Document are now ready for review.
>
> Please take a look at the proposals and leave any feedback you have.

And for those who like to click links, you'll find them here:

 * Zend_Cloud_Document:
   http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Cloud_Document+-+Wil+Sinclair

 * Zend_Cloud_Storage:
   http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Cloud_Storage+-+Wil+Sinclair

 * Zend_Cloud_Queue:
   http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Cloud_Queue+-+Wil+Sinclair

Re: Simple Cloud API Proposals

latterd
Your email client stripped them cos they were links anyway....

On 6 Oct 2009, at 15:44, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> -- Wil Sinclair <[hidden email]> wrote
> (on Monday, 05 October 2009, 12:53 PM -0700):
>> On Sept. 22, Zend launched the Simple Cloud API project: http://
>> www.simplecloud.org
>>
>> This ambitious project makes cloud application services from
>> vendors such as
>> Amazon, Microsoft Azure, and Rackspace available through one API,
>> bringing the
>> platform portability that you expect from PHP to the cloud.
>>
>> I’m happy to announce that the proposals for Zend_Cloud_Storage,
>> Zend_Cloud_Queue, and Zend_Cloud_Document are now ready for review.
>>
>> Please take a look at the proposals and leave any feedback you have.
>
> And for those who like to click links, you'll find them here:
>
> * Zend_Cloud_Document:
>   http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Cloud_Document+-+Wil+Sinclair
>
> * Zend_Cloud_Storage:
>   http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Cloud_Storage+-+Wil+Sinclair
>
> * Zend_Cloud_Queue:
>   http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Cloud_Queue+-+Wil+Sinclair
>
> --
> Matthew Weier O'Phinney

Re: Simple Cloud API Proposals

Alan Wagstaff
All showing up fine here.

Also, not related to the proposals so apologies for going off-topic, but none of the www.simplecloud.org pages have titles - didn't know if it was a bug or some odd design choice :)

2009/10/6 Daniel Latter <[hidden email]>
[...]

Will Simple Cloud do anything with Salesforce?

At the moment I am working with Salesforce and would like to help/get involved by providing a Salesforce adapter in the near future, would this be something of use? or is it not really applicable?

Thanks

2009/10/5 Wil Sinclair <[hidden email]>

Hi all,

On Sept. 22, Zend launched the Simple Cloud API project: http://www.simplecloud.org

This ambitious project makes cloud application services from vendors such as Amazon, Microsoft Azure, and Rackspace available through one API, bringing the platform portability that you expect from PHP to the cloud.

I’m happy to announce that the proposals for Zend_Cloud_Storage, Zend_Cloud_Queue, and Zend_Cloud_Document are now ready for review.

Please take a look at the proposals and leave any feedback you have.

Thanks!

,Wil

Re: Simple Cloud API Proposals

latterd
Just thought i'd let you know that the link in this FAQ:

Question: What is Zend Framework?

Answer: Zend Framework is the leading open source PHP framework. Its use-at-will components offer solutions for almost all requirements encountered in complex applications. To find out more, visit http://framework.zend.com. @ http://www.simplecloud.org/faq

is malformed.

Thanks

2009/10/5 Wil Sinclair <[hidden email]>

Hi all,

On Sept. 22, Zend launched the Simple Cloud API project: http://www.simplecloud.org

This ambitious project makes cloud application services from vendors such as Amazon, Microsoft Azure, and Rackspace available through one API, bringing the platform portability that you expect from PHP to the cloud.

I’m happy to announce that the proposals for Zend_Cloud_Storage, Zend_Cloud_Queue, and Zend_Cloud_Document are now ready for review.

Please take a look at the proposals and leave any feedback you have.

Thanks!

,Wil

Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] Simple Cloud API Proposals

Matthew Ratzloff
Hi Wil,

I think any queue class should follow the conventions set forth by Zend_Queue (by extending or implementing the appropriate adapter class).  This looks like a major oversight in Zend_Cloud_Queue's API.

-Matt

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 7:44 AM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]> wrote:
-- Wil Sinclair <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Monday, 05 October 2009, 12:53 PM -0700):
> On Sept. 22, Zend launched the Simple Cloud API project: http://
> www.simplecloud.org
>
> This ambitious project makes cloud application services from vendors such as
> Amazon, Microsoft Azure, and Rackspace available through one API, bringing the
> platform portability that you expect from PHP to the cloud.
>
> I’m happy to announce that the proposals for Zend_Cloud_Storage,
> Zend_Cloud_Queue, and Zend_Cloud_Document are now ready for review.
>
> Please take a look at the proposals and leave any feedback you have.

And for those who like to click links, you'll find them here:

 * Zend_Cloud_Document:
  http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Cloud_Document+-+Wil+Sinclair

 * Zend_Cloud_Storage:
  http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Cloud_Storage+-+Wil+Sinclair

 * Zend_Cloud_Queue:
  http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Cloud_Queue+-+Wil+Sinclair

Re: Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] Simple Cloud API Proposals

-- Matthew Ratzloff <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Wednesday, 07 October 2009, 07:55 AM -0700):
> I think any queue class should follow the conventions set forth by Zend_Queue
> (by extending or implementing the appropriate adapter class).  This looks like
> a major oversight in Zend_Cloud_Queue's API.

Not necessarily. Cloud queues tend to be more simplified and offer
slightly fewer features than local queue systems. Trying to map the
conventions of Zend_Queue -- which offers support for a broader variety
of queue systems and hence features -- may not make sense.

> On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 7:44 AM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>     -- Wil Sinclair <[hidden email]> wrote
>     (on Monday, 05 October 2009, 12:53 PM -0700):
>     > On Sept. 22, Zend launched the Simple Cloud API project: http://
>     > www.simplecloud.org
>     >
>     > This ambitious project makes cloud application services from vendors such
>     as
>     > Amazon, Microsoft Azure, and Rackspace available through one API,
>     bringing the
>     > platform portability that you expect from PHP to the cloud.
>     >
>     > I’m happy to announce that the proposals for Zend_Cloud_Storage,
>     > Zend_Cloud_Queue, and Zend_Cloud_Document are now ready for review.
>     >
>     > Please take a look at the proposals and leave any feedback you have.
>
>     And for those who like to click links, you'll find them here:
>
>      * Zend_Cloud_Document:
>       http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/
>     Zend_Cloud_Document+-+Wil+Sinclair
>
>      * Zend_Cloud_Storage:
>       http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/
>     Zend_Cloud_Storage+-+Wil+Sinclair
>
>      * Zend_Cloud_Queue:
>       http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/
>     Zend_Cloud_Queue+-+Wil+Sinclair
>
>     --
>     Matthew Weier O'Phinney
>     Project Lead            | [hidden email]
>     Zend Framework          | http://framework.zend.com/

RE: Simple Cloud API Proposals

wllm

Nope. Just haven’t implemented them yet.

The story on the site is that Forrest Lyman (of Digitalus fame) and I designed it from scratch to use the Simple Cloud API. Unfortunately- or rather fortunately- the announcement got *way* more attention from the press than we expected, which took up more of my time than I had budgeted for this.

So, to make a long story short, we’ll be updating the site in the coming weeks to add all the features we wanted to have at launch. Including page titles. ;)

,Wil

RE: Simple Cloud API Proposals

wllm

I actually contacted Salesforce about the project before launch. I haven’t heard back from them yet, but they are interested in how Zend Framework could be used on their platform.

Maybe you can tell me if they have services for which Simple Cloud API adapters are appropriate. Keep in mind that adapters can be written for almost any kind of service; it doesn’t have to be a RESTful, SOAP, XML-RPC, etc. service. In fact, all of the adapters currently are written to what appear to be local services, like the client lib for S3.

I’ve thought about how appropriate a document service adapter would be for Google’s GQL database, for example. Of course, that will be some to consider for the Simple Cloud API after they finally get around to supporting PHP. ;)

,Wil

RE: Re: [zf-contributors] Re: [fw-general] SimpleCloud API Proposals

wllm
Matthew and I actually spoke with Daniel Lo and Justin Plock about this very issue before the announcement. We decided to leave room in Zend_Queue for additional features because there was a lot of feedback on the Zend_Queue proposal calling for more message-oriented features.

As Matthew (Weier O'Phinney) points out, Zend_Cloud_Queue was designed specifically for simple queues in the cloud, like SQS. Features that aren't common to most of these queue service offerings will not be supported in Zend_Cloud_Queue. We're actually planning to have a Zend_Cloud_Queue_Adapter_ZendQueue (the naming can- and probably should- be tweaked) adapter. This will provide support for local queues through Zend_Queue, which is important for 'offline' development for the cloud. We will probably write direct adapters from Zend_Cloud_Queue to Zend_Service_Amazon_Sqs, however.

As with all design decisions in the Simple Cloud API, we're open to new ideas. So if there is a better way to do this, throw it out there so we can discuss it.

This is a great discussion, and we should make sure it is added to the commentary on the proposal. I'll paste this response in a comment there. I'd appreciate it if everyone responded on the proposal instead of on the list so we can track these discussions and keep them in a place that someone new to ZF can find them.

,Wil

Salesforce uses a query language called SOQL : Sforce Object Query Language, similar to GQL you refer to.

If I'm right 'Documents' in this case would mean the Salesforce Objects such as Accounts and Leads so I think an adapter would defiantly be worthwhile.

To access the Objects at present Salesforce offers a relatively small PHP toolkit that uses the PHP SOAP module.

On 7 Oct 2009, at 22:11, "Wil Sinclair" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I actually contacted Salesforce about the project before launch. I haven’t heard back from them yet, but they are interested in how Zend Framework could be used on their platform.

Maybe you can tell me if they have services for which Simple Cloud API adapters are appropriate. Keep in mind that adapters can be written for almost any kind of service; it doesn’t have to be a RESTful, SOAP, XML-RPC, etc. service. In fact, all of the adapters currently are written to what appear to be local services, like the client lib for S3.

I’ve thought about how appropriate a document service adapter would be for Google’s GQL database, for example. Of course, that will be some to consider for the Simple Cloud API after they finally get around to supporting PHP. ;)

,Wil

RE: Simple Cloud API Proposals

wllm

Are these API’s available to PHP? Or are they only available to Apex?

If so, how do you access them? Locally or remotely?

,Wil