Setting large memory_limit in php.in cause zend framework 1.10.1 to fatal

Setting large memory_limit in php.in cause zend framework 1.10.1 to fatal

Simon Griffiths

Hello,

Setting a large (4096M in my case) memory_limit in php.ini cause Zend Framework to fatal.  This occurred both on existing code and using zend_tool (zf.sh).

/usr/local/www/zf/ZendFramework-1.10.1/bin]# ./zf.sh

PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 262144 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 7680 bytes) in /usr/local/www/zf/ZendFramework-1.10.1/library/Zend/Tool/Framework/Client/Console.php on line 93

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 262144 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 7680 bytes) in /usr/local/www/zf/ZendFramework-1.10.1/library/Zend/Tool/Framework/Client/Console.php on line 93

Resetting the memory_limit to a smaller value, 512M in my case, corrected this issue.

Machine is:

FreeBSD acetone 8.0-STABLE FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #0: Sat Dec 19 01:58:00 GMT 2009   amd64

PHP Version:

PHP 5.2.11 with Suhosin-Patch 0.9.7 (cli) (built: Dec 19 2009 14:29:30)

Copyright (c) 1997-2009 The PHP Group

Zend Engine v2.2.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2009 Zend Technologies

I cannot be sure this necessarily a zf issue but I have only encountered it when using zf, maybe it something else entirely like php config.

Hope this helps and if you need any more information please let me know.

Regards,

Simon Griffiths

PS. I attempted to create an issue ticket on http://framework.zend.com/issues/ but it insisted I was not logged in.

Re: Setting large memory_limit in php.in cause zend framework 1.10.1 to fatal

Ralph Schindler-2
Fatal errors emminating from PHP itself are PHP issues.  I am actually
not sure there is an issue here as memory_limit should be set to
something sensible (like say max a couple of hundred megs for really
intensive scripts).

Also, I notice you are running the Suhosin patch.  While that is solid
code, you should not that it hooks into various places in the PHP engine
itself and might cause random undocumented behaviors in PHP in strange
situations.  Either way, you might want to check with them as well.

-ralph

Simon Griffiths wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Setting a large (4096M in my case) memory_limit in php.ini cause Zend
> Framework to fatal.  This occurred both on existing code and using
> zend_tool (zf.sh).
>

> /usr/local/www/zf/ZendFramework-1.10.1/bin]# ./zf.sh
>
> PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 262144 bytes exhausted (tried
> to allocate 7680 bytes) in
> /usr/local/www/zf/ZendFramework-1.10.1/library/Zend/Tool/Framework/Client/Console.php
> on line 93
>

> Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 262144 bytes exhausted (tried to
> allocate 7680 bytes) in
> /usr/local/www/zf/ZendFramework-1.10.1/library/Zend/Tool/Framework/Client/Console.php
> on line 93
>

> Resetting the memory_limit to a smaller value, 512M in my case,
> corrected this issue.
>

> Machine is:
>
> FreeBSD acetone 8.0-STABLE FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #0: Sat Dec 19 01:58:00
> GMT 2009   amd64
>

> PHP Version:
>
> PHP 5.2.11 with Suhosin-Patch 0.9.7 (cli) (built: Dec 19 2009 14:29:30)
>
> Copyright (c) 1997-2009 The PHP Group
>
> Zend Engine v2.2.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2009 Zend Technologies
>

> I cannot be sure this necessarily a zf issue but I have only encountered
> it when using zf, maybe it something else entirely like php config.
>

> Hope this helps and if you need any more information please let me know.
>

> Regards,
>

> Simon Griffiths
>
> PS. I attempted to create an issue ticket on
> http://framework.zend.com/issues/ but it insisted I was not logged in.

Re: Setting large memory_limit in php.in cause zend framework 1.10.1 to fatal

till
Adding to Ralph's reply:

You may want to trace it using valgrind or truss, etc.. Might lead to
another issue.

Also, I'm assuming you really have 4+ GB?

Till

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Ralph Schindler
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Fatal errors emminating from PHP itself are PHP issues.  I am actually not
> sure there is an issue here as memory_limit should be set to something
> sensible (like say max a couple of hundred megs for really intensive
> scripts).
>
> Also, I notice you are running the Suhosin patch.  While that is solid code,
> you should not that it hooks into various places in the PHP engine itself
> and might cause random undocumented behaviors in PHP in strange situations.
>  Either way, you might want to check with them as well.
>
> -ralph
>
> Simon Griffiths wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>

>> Setting a large (4096M in my case) memory_limit in php.ini cause Zend
>> Framework to fatal.  This occurred both on existing code and using zend_tool
>> (zf.sh).
>>

>> /usr/local/www/zf/ZendFramework-1.10.1/bin]# ./zf.sh
>>
>> PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 262144 bytes exhausted (tried to
>> allocate 7680 bytes) in
>> /usr/local/www/zf/ZendFramework-1.10.1/library/Zend/Tool/Framework/Client/Console.php
>> on line 93
>>

>> Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 262144 bytes exhausted (tried to
>> allocate 7680 bytes) in
>> /usr/local/www/zf/ZendFramework-1.10.1/library/Zend/Tool/Framework/Client/Console.php
>> on line 93
>>

>> Resetting the memory_limit to a smaller value, 512M in my case, corrected
>> this issue.
>>

>> Machine is:
>>
>> FreeBSD acetone 8.0-STABLE FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #0: Sat Dec 19 01:58:00 GMT
>> 2009   amd64
>>

>> PHP Version:
>>
>> PHP 5.2.11 with Suhosin-Patch 0.9.7 (cli) (built: Dec 19 2009 14:29:30)
>>
>> Copyright (c) 1997-2009 The PHP Group
>>
>> Zend Engine v2.2.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2009 Zend Technologies
>>

>> I cannot be sure this necessarily a zf issue but I have only encountered
>> it when using zf, maybe it something else entirely like php config.
>>

>> Hope this helps and if you need any more information please let me know.
>>

>> Regards,
>>

>> Simon Griffiths
>>
>> PS. I attempted to create an issue ticket on
>> http://framework.zend.com/issues/ but it insisted I was not logged in.

RE: Setting large memory_limit in php.in cause zend framework 1.10.1 to fatal

Simon Griffiths
Yea theres 16G in that particular machine.  It was only while getting a one
of job up and running that the memory_limit was set so high.  It just
appeared odd to me that all of our other apps worked but the ZF one wouldn't
run. This is no issue for our site as its raw we need to push the limit so
high and normally do in the script if its really nesscary.

Cheers,

Si.