Release Policies and Conventions

wllm

Over the 2 years that I’ve been involved with the project, there have been many questions about what can go in to a given release and if there are any guidelines for the release schedules. While many of you have pieced the picture together from different mails, IRC chats, etc. I’ve owed you a document for a long time now. Here it is:

http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV/Release+Policies+and+Conventions

I ask all contributors to review this and reply with any question or edits- especially if I missed something- in this forum.

As always, thanks for all the time and effort. Also, go 1.8!

,Wil

Re: Release Policies and Conventions

Thomas Weidner
Hy Wil,

In my understanding also "feature enhancements" are actually not allowed to
be integrated within mini-releases.
Only "Bug fixes" which do not add additional API are allowed.

Maybe you should also add a definition for what's a bug fix, a improvement
and a new feature to get that also defined, and we can all speak of the same
in future.

Greetings
Thomas Weidner, I18N Team Leader, Zend Framework
http://www.thomasweidner.com

RE: Release Policies and Conventions

wllm
Hey Thomas, I'm not quite sure what you are referring to. Your
understanding is correct, and the wiki page seems to reflect it
perfectly. Can you tell me exactly what needs to be updated? Maybe with
the string that you're referring to?

Thanks.
,Wil

Re: Release Policies and Conventions

Thomas Weidner
Hy Wil,

"A mini release may contain only bug fixes. Note that no new features or API
changes are allowed whatsoever."

This sentence could imply that new features are not allowed, but improvments
of existing features are allowed as long as they don't change existing API.
The word "only" could be overseen.

The question is also what's for us the difference between a feature
enhancement and a new feature.
Feature Enhancement could be for example to add a new option. It would not
change API. So a textual clearification would be great :-)

Also to note: Are new components allowed within minor releases or only
within major releases? Should also be defined.

,Wil

RE: Release Policies and Conventions

wllm
OK, I changed it. There will inevitably be some hand-waving around what
is a new feature and what is a functionality enhancement. I'd rather
confine this thread to the issue of release policies and conventions. :)

New components pretty clearly fall under the category of 'new features'
in my mind. If others are confused, we should further clarify it.

,Wil

,Wil

Re: Release Policies and Conventions

till
What if I added a "feature" to an existing component.

I mean, from what I understand -- the mini releases shouldn't break BC
-- that's all. But if I add to the api that's allowed? (asking)

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Wil Sinclair <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, I changed it. There will inevitably be some hand-waving around what
> is a new feature and what is a functionality enhancement. I'd rather
> confine this thread to the issue of release policies and conventions. :)
>
> New components pretty clearly fall under the category of 'new features'
> in my mind. If others are confused, we should further clarify it.
>
> ,Wil

You can add new API's and new features that don't affect API's much in
mini releases. They have to be BC, however. I'm pretty sure that's
called out in the document, but let me know if it's not.

Thanks.
,Wil

What if I added a "feature" to an existing component.

I mean, from what I understand -- the mini releases shouldn't break BC
-- that's all. But if I add to the api that's allowed? (asking)

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Wil Sinclair <[hidden email]> wrote:
> OK, I changed it. There will inevitably be some hand-waving around
what
> is a new feature and what is a functionality enhancement. I'd rather
> confine this thread to the issue of release policies and conventions.
:)

> New components pretty clearly fall under the category of 'new
features'

> in my mind. If others are confused, we should further clarify it.
>
> ,Wil

Yeah, I wanted to make sure.

Also, the following sentence is way to lax IMHO (also missing spaces
around the dashes):
Functionality enhancements are defined as behavioral changes that do
not affect- or minimally affect- one or more API's.

IMHO, that leaves too much room to argue what "minimally" is. IMHO, if
the API is effected in a way that it breaks BC, then it has to wait
for a major release and cannot be done in a minor or mini.

2 cents,
Till

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:10 PM, Wil Sinclair <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can add new API's and new features that don't affect API's much in
> mini releases. They have to be BC, however. I'm pretty sure that's
> called out in the document, but let me know if it's not.
>
> Thanks.
> ,Wil

Wil, when that's the case then you should rewrite it because "ONLY BUG
FIXES" means for me that also new features are not allowed within mini
releases ;-)

Greetings
Thomas Weidner, I18N Team Leader, Zend Framework
http://www.thomasweidner.com

What if I added a "feature" to an existing component.

I mean, from what I understand -- the mini releases shouldn't break BC
-- that's all. But if I add to the api that's allowed? (asking)

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Wil Sinclair <[hidden email]> wrote:
> OK, I changed it. There will inevitably be some hand-waving around
what
> is a new feature and what is a functionality enhancement. I'd rather
> confine this thread to the issue of release policies and conventions.
:)

> New components pretty clearly fall under the category of 'new
features'

> in my mind. If others are confused, we should further clarify it.
>
> ,Wil

Hmmm. New features are not allowed in mini releases. That's a very
important point that all contributors have to keep in mind. New features
and functionality enhancements *must* wait until the next minor release.

,Wil