Quantcast

Proposal for Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter

Jason Austin-2
I've never done a proposal for ZF before so bear with me.  I'm not entirely
sure I am following protocol, so hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge
about the proposal process will correct my inevitable mistakes.

Anyway, I had created an auth adapter for a project I was working on that
used Zend_Auth and Twitter's OAuth authentication mechanism.  I had posted
this on twitter and MWOP said I should contribute it back, so here is (i
guess?) the first step of doing that.

http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter+-+Jason+Austin

<http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter+-+Jason+Austin>In
reading the contribution docs, I suppose this goes for community review now?
 I'd love any feedback you folks have.

I also created auth adapters for facebook, yahoo, and google, but figured
I'd start with this one and go from there, although I would like to
contribute those back to ZF as well.

- J

--
Jason Austin

Blog: http://www.jasonawesome.com
twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/jason_austin

Re: Proposal for Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter

denniswinter
I've asked myself, if Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter is the right thing to go.
What about Zend_Auth_Adapter_Oauth as a general implementation?

Twitter is not the only provider of OAuth, so it would be far better to create an adapter for
a more general implementation.

Maybe it's needed in some cases, that the Zend_Auth_Adapter_Oauth needs to be inherited
to support other Public/Private keys or anything else, but in my opinion, we would go far better with it.

Cheers,
Dennis

Am 23.11.2010 um 01:57 schrieb Jason Austin:

> I've never done a proposal for ZF before so bear with me.  I'm not entirely
> sure I am following protocol, so hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge
> about the proposal process will correct my inevitable mistakes.
>
> Anyway, I had created an auth adapter for a project I was working on that
> used Zend_Auth and Twitter's OAuth authentication mechanism.  I had posted
> this on twitter and MWOP said I should contribute it back, so here is (i
> guess?) the first step of doing that.
>
> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter+-+Jason+Austin
>
> <http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter+-+Jason+Austin>In
> reading the contribution docs, I suppose this goes for community review now?
> I'd love any feedback you folks have.
>
> I also created auth adapters for facebook, yahoo, and google, but figured
> I'd start with this one and go from there, although I would like to
> contribute those back to ZF as well.
>
> - J
>
> --
> Jason Austin
>
> Blog: http://www.jasonawesome.com
> twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/jason_austin

Re: Proposal for Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter

Alexander Thomas
You made a good point, Dennis.

But I find it not too hard to imagine that each implementation for an OAuth provider (Facebook and the likes) requires a special twist for its implementation so that you end up with a bunch of adapters which extend Zend_Auth_Adapter_Oauth but no one is using it directly.

Regards,
Alex

Am 24.11.2010 um 11:31 schrieb Dennis Winter:

> I've asked myself, if Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter is the right thing to go.
> What about Zend_Auth_Adapter_Oauth as a general implementation?
>
> Twitter is not the only provider of OAuth, so it would be far better to create an adapter for
> a more general implementation.
>
> Maybe it's needed in some cases, that the Zend_Auth_Adapter_Oauth needs to be inherited
> to support other Public/Private keys or anything else, but in my opinion, we would go far better with it.
>
> Cheers,
> Dennis
>
> Am 23.11.2010 um 01:57 schrieb Jason Austin:
>
>> I've never done a proposal for ZF before so bear with me.  I'm not entirely
>> sure I am following protocol, so hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge
>> about the proposal process will correct my inevitable mistakes.
>>
>> Anyway, I had created an auth adapter for a project I was working on that
>> used Zend_Auth and Twitter's OAuth authentication mechanism.  I had posted
>> this on twitter and MWOP said I should contribute it back, so here is (i
>> guess?) the first step of doing that.
>>
>> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter+-+Jason+Austin
>>
>> <http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter+-+Jason+Austin>In
>> reading the contribution docs, I suppose this goes for community review now?
>> I'd love any feedback you folks have.
>>
>> I also created auth adapters for facebook, yahoo, and google, but figured
>> I'd start with this one and go from there, although I would like to
>> contribute those back to ZF as well.
>>
>> - J
>>
>> --
>> Jason Austin
>>
>> Blog: http://www.jasonawesome.com
>> twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/jason_austin

Re: Proposal for Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter

Jason Austin-2
Hey Dennis,

That is an excellent point.

Like Alex said, each one of the OAuth providers like to do things just a wee
bit differently.  I've done implementations of this same adapter with
Facebook, Yahoo, and Google (as well as Twitter) and each one, while similar
in context, has had it's own twist.

I'd be all for having a generic OAuth adapter which some of these others
extend from, but I think it would be nice to also have individual service
adapters as well for some of the more popular authentication sources.

I did update the proposal yesterday with some implementation code if anyone
wants to take a look...

http://github.com/jfaustin/Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter

- Jason

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 5:55 AM, Alexander Thomas <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> You made a good point, Dennis.
>
> But I find it not too hard to imagine that each implementation for an OAuth
> provider (Facebook and the likes) requires a special twist for its
> implementation so that you end up with a bunch of adapters which extend
> Zend_Auth_Adapter_Oauth but no one is using it directly.
>
> Regards,
> Alex
>
> Am 24.11.2010 um 11:31 schrieb Dennis Winter:
>
> > I've asked myself, if Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter is the right thing to go.
> > What about Zend_Auth_Adapter_Oauth as a general implementation?
> >
> > Twitter is not the only provider of OAuth, so it would be far better to
> create an adapter for
> > a more general implementation.
> >
> > Maybe it's needed in some cases, that the Zend_Auth_Adapter_Oauth needs
> to be inherited
> > to support other Public/Private keys or anything else, but in my opinion,
> we would go far better with it.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Dennis
> >
> > Am 23.11.2010 um 01:57 schrieb Jason Austin:
> >
> >> I've never done a proposal for ZF before so bear with me.  I'm not
> entirely
> >> sure I am following protocol, so hopefully someone with a bit more
> knowledge
> >> about the proposal process will correct my inevitable mistakes.
> >>
> >> Anyway, I had created an auth adapter for a project I was working on
> that
> >> used Zend_Auth and Twitter's OAuth authentication mechanism.  I had
> posted
> >> this on twitter and MWOP said I should contribute it back, so here is (i
> >> guess?) the first step of doing that.
> >>

> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter+-+Jason+Austin
> >>
> >> <
> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter+-+Jason+Austin
> >In
> >> reading the contribution docs, I suppose this goes for community review
> now?
> >> I'd love any feedback you folks have.
> >>
> >> I also created auth adapters for facebook, yahoo, and google, but
> figured
> >> I'd start with this one and go from there, although I would like to
> >> contribute those back to ZF as well.
> >>
> >> - J
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jason Austin
> >>
> >> Blog: http://www.jasonawesome.com
> >> twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/jason_austin

--
Jason Austin

Blog: http://www.jasonawesome.com
twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/jason_austin

Re: Proposal for Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter

Dolf Schimmel
Hey Jason,

First of all, thank you for wanting to share your code with us.

> I'm not entirely sure I am following protocol ...

You totally are. The short version of the proposal process is that you
write a proposal, and when you're done writing it, move it to "ready
for review" (which is what you did). Then you announce it to the
community on this mailinglist (which you did as well). After having
gathered some review from the community (usually at least a couple of
weeks), you move it to "ready for recommendation". At that point, the
Community Review Team (CR-Team) will review it and (dis)recommend
inclusion to Zend. Zend (being Matthew, Ralph and Alex) will then
decide if the component is accepted or not (usually based on the
recommendation of the CR-Team). If you feel your proposal is not
getting enough attention, it may help to put it on twitter, or spam it
in #zftalk.dev on freenode ( see http://www.zftalk.com ).

What your proposal is concerned, it currently is all coded in
ZF1-style code. Since new functionality is only allowed in minor
releases, and since there will be no more minor release in the ZF1.X
range, I would advise you to write it based on the ZF2 coding
standards [1]. Furthermore, I really would like to urge you to make it
more generic so that it can be used with other oauth providers as
well. I find it personally hard to believe that if you'd use
Zend_Oauth this wouldn't be doable, though I have no experience with
Oauth myself.

Kind regards,

On behalf of the CR-Team,

Dolf
-- Freeaqingme

1. http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV2/ZF+2.0+Coding+Standards+Addendums

> Anyway, I had created an auth adapter for a project I was working on that
> used Zend_Auth and Twitter's OAuth authentication mechanism.  I had posted
> this on twitter and MWOP said I should contribute it back, so here is (i
> guess?) the first step of doing that.
>
> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter+-+Jason+Austin
>
> <http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter+-+Jason+Austin>In
> reading the contribution docs, I suppose this goes for community review now?
>  I'd love any feedback you folks have.
>
> I also created auth adapters for facebook, yahoo, and google, but figured
> I'd start with this one and go from there, although I would like to
> contribute those back to ZF as well.
>
> - J
>
> --
> Jason Austin
>
> Blog: http://www.jasonawesome.com
> twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/jason_austin

Re: Proposal for Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter

Eric Clemmons
>  Furthermore, I really would like to urge you to make it
> more generic so that it can be used with other oauth providers as
> well. I find it personally hard to believe that if you'd use
> Zend_Oauth this wouldn't be doable, though I have no experience with
> Oauth myself.

I was hoping for something similar.  Similar to the `Zend_Db`, allow adapters through a common interface for:
>  $twitterAuth = \Zend\Oauth::factory('twitter');

Perhaps this would require greater collaboration on what the common needs are & process for the top-requested Oauth services (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).

Either way, the code is very clean & simple, so great job on your first contribution!

On Nov 24, 2010, at 10:26 AM, Dolf Schimmel wrote:

> Hey Jason,
>
> First of all, thank you for wanting to share your code with us.
>
>> I'm not entirely sure I am following protocol ...
>
> You totally are. The short version of the proposal process is that you
> write a proposal, and when you're done writing it, move it to "ready
> for review" (which is what you did). Then you announce it to the
> community on this mailinglist (which you did as well). After having
> gathered some review from the community (usually at least a couple of
> weeks), you move it to "ready for recommendation". At that point, the
> Community Review Team (CR-Team) will review it and (dis)recommend
> inclusion to Zend. Zend (being Matthew, Ralph and Alex) will then
> decide if the component is accepted or not (usually based on the
> recommendation of the CR-Team). If you feel your proposal is not
> getting enough attention, it may help to put it on twitter, or spam it
> in #zftalk.dev on freenode ( see http://www.zftalk.com ).
>
> What your proposal is concerned, it currently is all coded in
> ZF1-style code. Since new functionality is only allowed in minor
> releases, and since there will be no more minor release in the ZF1.X
> range, I would advise you to write it based on the ZF2 coding
> standards [1]. Furthermore, I really would like to urge you to make it
> more generic so that it can be used with other oauth providers as
> well. I find it personally hard to believe that if you'd use
> Zend_Oauth this wouldn't be doable, though I have no experience with
> Oauth myself.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> On behalf of the CR-Team,
>
> Dolf
> -- Freeaqingme
>

> 1. http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV2/ZF+2.0+Coding+Standards+Addendums
>

>> Anyway, I had created an auth adapter for a project I was working on that
>> used Zend_Auth and Twitter's OAuth authentication mechanism.  I had posted
>> this on twitter and MWOP said I should contribute it back, so here is (i
>> guess?) the first step of doing that.
>>
>> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter+-+Jason+Austin
>>
>> <http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter+-+Jason+Austin>In
>> reading the contribution docs, I suppose this goes for community review now?
>>  I'd love any feedback you folks have.
>>
>> I also created auth adapters for facebook, yahoo, and google, but figured
>> I'd start with this one and go from there, although I would like to
>> contribute those back to ZF as well.
>>
>> - J
>>
>> --
>> Jason Austin
>>
>> Blog: http://www.jasonawesome.com
>> twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/jason_austin

Re: Proposal for Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter

Jason Austin-2
Thanks for your feedback everyone.

I can definitely work on making this a little more generic and into an OAuth
adapter.  I would like to say that because of a lot of the different twists
to the different services OAuth handshakes, the idea of having an
out-of-the-box solution for things like Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc.
probably wouldn't be a bad idea.  I realize there is a limit on how many and
what to include, but I think a discussion on the merits of that would be
good to have.

Also, I wasn't sure the protocol yet on ZF 1 to ZF 2 conversion.  I'll work
on getting whatever I have for inclusion at the ZF2 standards.

Since it has sort of gone from a Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter component to a
Zend_Auth_Adapter_Oauth component, what is the protocol as far as a
proposal?  Create a new one I guess and kick out the old one?

- Jason

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Eric Clemmons <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter+-+Jason+Austin
> >In
> >> reading the contribution docs, I suppose this goes for community review
> now?
> >>  I'd love any feedback you folks have.
> >>
> >> I also created auth adapters for facebook, yahoo, and google, but
> figured
> >> I'd start with this one and go from there, although I would like to
> >> contribute those back to ZF as well.
> >>
> >> - J
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jason Austin
> >>
> >> Blog: http://www.jasonawesome.com
> >> twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/jason_austin

--
Jason Austin

Blog: http://www.jasonawesome.com
twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/jason_austin

Re: Proposal for Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter

-- Jason Austin <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Wednesday, 24 November 2010, 01:36 PM -0500):

> Thanks for your feedback everyone.
>
> I can definitely work on making this a little more generic and into an OAuth
> adapter.  I would like to say that because of a lot of the different twists
> to the different services OAuth handshakes, the idea of having an
> out-of-the-box solution for things like Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc.
> probably wouldn't be a bad idea.  I realize there is a limit on how many and
> what to include, but I think a discussion on the merits of that would be
> good to have.
>
> Also, I wasn't sure the protocol yet on ZF 1 to ZF 2 conversion.  I'll work
> on getting whatever I have for inclusion at the ZF2 standards.
>
> Since it has sort of gone from a Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter component to a
> Zend_Auth_Adapter_Oauth component, what is the protocol as far as a
> proposal?  Create a new one I guess and kick out the old one?

No -- this is an evolution of the original proposal. Simply rename it,
and then indicate the reasons in the narrative.

> [...]
> > > Oauth myself.
> > >
> > > Kind regards,
> > >
> > > On behalf of the CR-Team,
> > >
> > > Dolf
> > > -- Freeaqingme
> > >

> > > 1.
> > http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV2/ZF+2.0+Coding+Standards+Addendums

> > that
> > posted
> > >>

> > http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter+-+Jason+Austin

> > http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter+-+Jason+Austin
> > >In
> > now?

> > figured

> --
> Jason Austin
>
> Blog: http://www.jasonawesome.com
> twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/jason_austin

Re: Proposal for Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter

I have updated the proposal for the Zend_Auth_Adapter_Twitter component to
be both more ZF2 friendly and to use it as a generic OAuth adapter.

http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Authentication_Adapter_Oauth+-+Jason+Austin

Also I have updated the example code here:

https://github.com/jfaustin/Zend_Auth_Adapter_Oauth

Against the most recent pull of the ZF2 repo the Zend\Oauth component wasn't
working at all, so there is still some headway needed to make my example
code truly work.

I'd love any feedback anyone has.

Thanks!
Jason