Quantcast

Proposal: Zend_Grid

Bento Vilas Boas
Hi,

My name is Bento Vilas Boas and I'm the actual lead developer of ZFDatagrid ( http://zfdatagrid.com ) project, that aims to bring to Zend Framework a easy to use, yet, full feature grid.

My idea is to convert the actual project into Zend Framework ( google project page http://code.google.com/p/zfdatagrid/ ).

Which Features:

  • Multiples sources
  • CRUD operations with bulk add/edit/remove options and auto-validation from tables definition
  • PRG Form Processing
  • Templates
  • Multiples renders (Table, PDF, Print, Xml, Excel, etc, etc)
  • Extra columns
  • Extra rows
  • Aggregate Expressions
  • Horizontal splitting of records
  • Multiple instances per page
  • Custom Filters
  • Auto-filters based on field definition (enum, set, etc, etc)
  • Mass actions
  • Cache
  • Content format plugins
  • Ajax
  • Conditional Field Rendering
  • Render specific parts of grid
  • Sorting results
  • Auto-paging. Change number of results per page
  • Save params in session (Filters, Order, Page, Records per page)
  • Detailed view of records
  • Internationalization
  • Decorators
  • Callbacks
  • Routing

I've created a proposal http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Grid+-+Bento+Vilas+Boas . I will try to post some class skeletons (mostly Source Interface), but I'm having a hard time with that.

With this component is my intention to facilitate data display (source independent) and also provide CRUD operations.

Please let me know your opinion, and how this project can be improved. All comments are welcome.

Best Regards,
Bento Vilas Boas
_______________________________________
http://zfdatagrid.com - ZFDatagrid project page
http://mip-project.org - "So others may rise"

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Proposal: Zend_Grid

padraicb
Hey Bento,

If you prefer, focus on adding any use cases and leave the class skeletons blank (perhaps with just any interfaces you use). Class skeletons tend to be very fragile and hardly worth the trouble of maintaining when people can simply download the source code.

Paddy

Pádraic Brady

http://blog.astrumfutura.com
http://www.survivethedeepend.com
OpenID Europe Foundation Irish Representative

http://mip-project.org - "So others may rise"

Re: Proposal: Zend_Grid

Pieter Kokx
Hi Bento,

First I'd like to point out that your list of features looks very comprehensive. This makes me a bit concerned about the scope of the component. For instance; it doesn't look right to me that the component itself has built-in AJAX support. Rather, the user should be able to build this support himself easily.

Besides that, I would also like to note you that we're currently starting to develop ZF 2.0. And because there is no certainity if there will be a ZF 1.11 or not, you might also want to take a look to ZF 2.0 development.
--
Best Regards,

Pieter Kokx
PHP Developer
Zend Framework Community Review Team

On 26-06-10 23:35, Bento Vilas Boas wrote:
[...]

Dolf Schimmel
Hi,

I suppose you plan on doing it already. However, I would like to be
able to use my own render classes, or extend the existing onces. When
I recently looked at your project, that wasn't yet possible.

Also, since ZF already has quite a lot of Dojo support, imho this
component should do too.

Dolf

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 12:19 AM, Pieter Kokx <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> Ajax
> Conditional Field Rendering
> Render specific parts of grid
> Sorting results
> Auto-paging. Change number of results per page
> Save params in session (Filters, Order, Page, Records per page)
> Detailed view of records
> Internationalization
> Decorators
> Callbacks
> Routing
>
> I've created a
> proposal http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Zend_Grid+-+Bento+Vilas+Boas
> . I will try to post some class skeletons (mostly Source Interface), but I'm
> having a hard time with that.
> With this component is my intention to facilitate data display (source
> independent) and also provide CRUD operations.
> Please let me know your opinion, and how this project can be improved. All

Hi Pieter,

1 - ZF 2.0. That's the target. This proposal only has a few days, although project exists a long time.

2 - This component, from the feedback I have, will mostly be used on back-offices where we need a lot more options then just display a table full of data and pagination.

Most users need to generate reports, export data to excel, and CSV files. I tend to agree with that the scope of component is not "only" display that, as we may also
perform CRUD operations with it. However, crud operations make use of using Zend_Form. No custom code is added (apart from decorators, although it's use is optional).

Being able to display data from different sources is (was??!!) a big challenge. I'm working on projects where I need to display data from XML, DB, CSV and json and present
them in tables, pdf or charts. In a single case I read a CSV file from a shared location, that is edit from some person that I don't even know the name, and deploy the result as XML.

And with this component I only need two lines for doing that

3 - About Ajax built-in support. The main reason why this is included is because the only thing that changes from a Ajax interface to a non ajax Interface are links.
You can customize some events it the current ajax implementation.

You can also create your own renderer with ajax support. There is one that renderers in jqGrid.

4 - That being said. This is a personal project, although I've a few people contributing with code, like doctrine and jqGrid. This is just the first step. Present the component to the community.

And now we need to discuss this project. If makes sense to include it, if we need to strip some functions that should be responsibility of user, if we need to break this into one or more parts
so we can have a well defined scope.

I'm totally open to users opinions and criticism. This is just the beginning...

Best Regards,
Bento Vilas Boas

A 2010/06/26, às 23:19, Pieter Kokx escreveu:

[...]

Hi Dolf,

Since version 0.6 that you can create your custom deploy classes.

Just make sure it extends the abstract class Bvb_Grid and then instantiate it:

$grid = Bvb_Grid::factory('My_Custom_Class',array());

Best Regards,
Bento Vilas Boas