Quantcast

Planning 2.0.0beta3

Hey, all --

Beta2 has been out a couple of weeks now, and it's time to buckle down
and work on beta3. Based on user requests (via ML, personal email, IRC,
twitter, and beyond), the following seem to be the most requested items,
and I feel should be prioritized:

 * View
 * Forms
 * DB

The DB RFC is already up and has been for some time; I plan on getting
RFCs up for View and Forms in the next 1-2 days. While I think there
will be some discussion, I've also had a lot of discussions over the
past months on these subjects, and hope to capture many of the concerns
in the RFCs.

There's also a few other outliers that are either in the works or have
been discussed that we've considered for this beta:

 * Log (as it was not completed in time for beta2)
 * Console tools (Robert Basic could not work on it for beta2; not sure
   what his availability is for beta3)
 * DI compiler tool / service locator improvements (see RFC on wiki from
   Ralph)
 * Refactor various Server components (JSON-RPC, SOAP, XML-RPC) to use
   new Zend\Code component, Dispatchable interface, and EventManager
 * HTTP improvements (see previous ML threads from Shahar)
 * Crypt improvements (see previous ML thread from Enrico)
 * Completion of Cloud migration (not all Zend\Cloud services are yet
   migrated to ZF2)

I'd like us as a community to think hard about what we can accomplish in
the next 4-6 weeks -- I'd rather not commit to too much, if possible, so
that we can work instead on producing a smaller amount of high quality
code.

List: [hidden email]

Re: Planning 2.0.0beta3

Artur Bodera
On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]>wrote:

>  * Log (as it was not completed in time for beta2)
>  * Console tools (Robert Basic could not work on it for beta2; not sure
>   what his availability is for beta3)
>  * DI compiler tool / service locator improvements (see RFC on wiki from
>   Ralph)
>  * Refactor various Server components (JSON-RPC, SOAP, XML-RPC) to use
>   new Zend\Code component, Dispatchable interface, and EventManager
>  * HTTP improvements (see previous ML threads from Shahar)
>  * Crypt improvements (see previous ML thread from Enrico)
>  * Completion of Cloud migration (not all Zend\Cloud services are yet
>   migrated to ZF2)

Plus:

* Zend\Config refactor (including new Readers, Writers and Processors)

--
      __
     /.)\   +48 695 600 936
     \(./   [hidden email]

Re: Planning 2.0.0beta3

DeNix
On 04.01.2012 22:45, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:

> Hey, all --
>
> Beta2 has been out a couple of weeks now, and it's time to buckle down
> and work on beta3. Based on user requests (via ML, personal email, IRC,
> twitter, and beyond), the following seem to be the most requested items,
> and I feel should be prioritized:
>
>   * View
>   * Forms
>   * DB

wether any decision should be made on component configuration?
I mean
http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV2/RFC+-+better+configuration+for+components
http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV2/RFC+-+Object+instantiation+and+configuration

--
List: [hidden email]

Re: Planning 2.0.0beta3

-- Denis Portnov <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Wednesday, 04 January 2012, 11:43 PM +0400):

> On 04.01.2012 22:45, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> > Beta2 has been out a couple of weeks now, and it's time to buckle down
> > and work on beta3. Based on user requests (via ML, personal email, IRC,
> > twitter, and beyond), the following seem to be the most requested items,
> > and I feel should be prioritized:
> >
> >   * View
> >   * Forms
> >   * DB
> >
> wether any decision should be made on component configuration?
> I mean
> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV2/RFC+-+better+configuration+for+components
> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV2/RFC+-+Object+instantiation+and+configuration

Yes -- we decided on the former, which is basically:

 * A base Zend\Stdlib\Options class that individual components may
   extend (but not mandatory to extend).
 * Each component (or subcomponent) requiring configuration would define
   its own Options class. The constructor must accept an array or
   Traversable object.
 * An options class must have accessors for all configurable options
 * Setters should validate options
 * Individual options classes can decide how to handle unknown options.
 * Classes composing an options class should accept an instance to the
   constructor, but must have a setOptions() method.

The Cache component uses this paradigm at this time, as does the Module
component. We _should_ schedule refactoring of components to use Options
classes, but I'd like to do that after other refactoring is done (as
it's happening now as we refactor components anyways).

List: [hidden email]