POLL: The Naming of Form Binding Method to a "Thing"

POLL: The Naming of Form Binding Method to a "Thing"

Mike Willbanks
Hello All,

I've posted the poll in regards to the discussion yesterday during the
IRC meeting on the Forms RFC;
http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV2/2012-03-21+Meeting+Log

The poll is located here:
http://framework.zend.com/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=46793442

For those unwilling to click the Meeting Log link, here is the summary
from Matthew:
Mike Willbanks (mwillbanks) raised an objection to using the term
"Model" in the form component. Matthew and Guilherme Blanco
(guilhermeblanco) indicated that the usage gives symmetry with the
View layer, and that forms are largely considered part of a Data
Transfer Object anyways, which is one form of "model". Mike and others
indicated that they feel "model" is a loaded term and could raise
unintended connotations for new users. Matthew asked Mike to create a
poll; the functionality remains the same, but we should ask a larger
population what their preference is for naming. (Mike suggested
"Object".)

If you scroll through the meeting log you will find the full discussion :)

Regards,

Mike Willbanks

RE: POLL: The Naming of Form Binding Method to a "Thing"

BullfrogBlues

"Model" is definitely a loaded term, I'm still fairly surprised it's being bandied about in the view layer. So it's bindObject for me.

Regards,

Gerry

> Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 14:43:37 -0500

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [zf-contributors] POLL: The Naming of Form Binding Method to a "Thing"
>
> Hello All,
>
> I've posted the poll in regards to the discussion yesterday during the
> IRC meeting on the Forms RFC;
> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV2/2012-03-21+Meeting+Log
>
> The poll is located here:
> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=46793442
>
> For those unwilling to click the Meeting Log link, here is the summary
> from Matthew:
> Mike Willbanks (mwillbanks) raised an objection to using the term
> "Model" in the form component. Matthew and Guilherme Blanco
> (guilhermeblanco) indicated that the usage gives symmetry with the
> View layer, and that forms are largely considered part of a Data
> Transfer Object anyways, which is one form of "model". Mike and others
> indicated that they feel "model" is a loaded term and could raise
> unintended connotations for new users. Matthew asked Mike to create a
> poll; the functionality remains the same, but we should ask a larger
> population what their preference is for naming. (Mike suggested
> "Object".)
>
> If you scroll through the meeting log you will find the full discussion :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike Willbanks

Re: POLL: The Naming of Form Binding Method to a "Thing"

Marco Pivetta (Ocramius)
I voted for ValueObject. I think it must be clear to the end user that the object that is bound to the form is a container of values which the form interacts with...
Marco Pivetta

http://twitter.com/Ocramius

http://marco-pivetta.com

On 22 March 2012 21:53, Gerard - <[hidden email]> wrote:

"Model" is definitely a loaded term, I'm still fairly surprised it's being bandied about in the view layer. So it's bindObject for me.

Regards,

Gerry

> Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 14:43:37 -0500
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [zf-contributors] POLL: The Naming of Form Binding Method to a "Thing"

> Hello All,
>
> I've posted the poll in regards to the discussion yesterday during the
> IRC meeting on the Forms RFC;
> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV2/2012-03-21+Meeting+Log
>
> The poll is located here:
> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=46793442
>
> For those unwilling to click the Meeting Log link, here is the summary
> from Matthew:
> Mike Willbanks (mwillbanks) raised an objection to using the term
> "Model" in the form component. Matthew and Guilherme Blanco
> (guilhermeblanco) indicated that the usage gives symmetry with the
> View layer, and that forms are largely considered part of a Data
> Transfer Object anyways, which is one form of "model". Mike and others
> indicated that they feel "model" is a loaded term and could raise
> unintended connotations for new users. Matthew asked Mike to create a
> poll; the functionality remains the same, but we should ask a larger
> population what their preference is for naming. (Mike suggested
> "Object".)
>
> If you scroll through the meeting log you will find the full discussion :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike Willbanks

Re: POLL: The Naming of Form Binding Method to a "Thing"

Artur Bodera
On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 9:55 PM, Marco Pivetta <[hidden email]> wrote:
I voted for ValueObject. I think it must be clear to the end user that the object that is bound to the form is a container of values which the form interacts with...

Same here.

We cannot force specific implementations, which are imposed by "Model", "ValueObject" and "Entity". The thing used by end-user can be any of those, or neither, but it will most likely be PHP object.

--
      __
     /.)\   +48 695 600 936

Re: POLL: The Naming of Form Binding Method to a "Thing"

Top posting, sorry....

Another option exists, which I mentioned in IRC. Stewart Lord suggested
changing "bindData()" to simply "setData()", since it's not always
"binding", and the real bind operation happens if you're, you gussed it,
binding an object.

This leaves the following possible:

 * setData($arrayOrTraversable)
 * bind($object)

which means we don't have to choose a term at all.

-- Mike Willbanks <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Thursday, 22 March 2012, 02:43 PM -0500):

> Hello All,
>
> I've posted the poll in regards to the discussion yesterday during the
> IRC meeting on the Forms RFC;
> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV2/2012-03-21+Meeting+Log
>
> The poll is located here:
> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=46793442
>
> For those unwilling to click the Meeting Log link, here is the summary
> from Matthew:
> Mike Willbanks (mwillbanks) raised an objection to using the term
> "Model" in the form component. Matthew and Guilherme Blanco
> (guilhermeblanco) indicated that the usage gives symmetry with the
> View layer, and that forms are largely considered part of a Data
> Transfer Object anyways, which is one form of "model". Mike and others
> indicated that they feel "model" is a loaded term and could raise
> unintended connotations for new users. Matthew asked Mike to create a
> poll; the functionality remains the same, but we should ask a larger
> population what their preference is for naming. (Mike suggested
> "Object".)
>
> If you scroll through the meeting log you will find the full discussion :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike Willbanks

Re: POLL: The Naming of Form Binding Method to a "Thing"

Anthony Shireman
+1 for setData/bind.

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]> wrote:
Top posting, sorry....

Another option exists, which I mentioned in IRC. Stewart Lord suggested
changing "bindData()" to simply "setData()", since it's not always
"binding", and the real bind operation happens if you're, you gussed it,
binding an object.

This leaves the following possible:

 * setData($arrayOrTraversable)
 * bind($object)

which means we don't have to choose a term at all.

-- Mike Willbanks <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Thursday, 22 March 2012, 02:43 PM -0500):
> Hello All,
>
> I've posted the poll in regards to the discussion yesterday during the
> IRC meeting on the Forms RFC;
> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV2/2012-03-21+Meeting+Log
>
> The poll is located here:
> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=46793442
>
> For those unwilling to click the Meeting Log link, here is the summary
> from Matthew:
> Mike Willbanks (mwillbanks) raised an objection to using the term
> "Model" in the form component. Matthew and Guilherme Blanco
> (guilhermeblanco) indicated that the usage gives symmetry with the
> View layer, and that forms are largely considered part of a Data
> Transfer Object anyways, which is one form of "model". Mike and others
> indicated that they feel "model" is a loaded term and could raise
> unintended connotations for new users. Matthew asked Mike to create a
> poll; the functionality remains the same, but we should ask a larger
> population what their preference is for naming. (Mike suggested
> "Object".)
>
> If you scroll through the meeting log you will find the full discussion :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike Willbanks

Re: POLL: The Naming of Form Binding Method to a "Thing"

Sascha-Oliver Prolic
2012/3/22 Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]>:

> Top posting, sorry....
>
> Another option exists, which I mentioned in IRC. Stewart Lord suggested
> changing "bindData()" to simply "setData()", since it's not always
> "binding", and the real bind operation happens if you're, you gussed it,
> binding an object.
>
> This leaves the following possible:
>
>  * setData($arrayOrTraversable)
>  * bind($object)
>
> which means we don't have to choose a term at all.
>
> -- Mike Willbanks <[hidden email]> wrote
> (on Thursday, 22 March 2012, 02:43 PM -0500):
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I've posted the poll in regards to the discussion yesterday during the
>> IRC meeting on the Forms RFC;
>> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV2/2012-03-21+Meeting+Log
>>
>> The poll is located here:
>> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=46793442
>>
>> For those unwilling to click the Meeting Log link, here is the summary
>> from Matthew:
>> Mike Willbanks (mwillbanks) raised an objection to using the term
>> "Model" in the form component. Matthew and Guilherme Blanco
>> (guilhermeblanco) indicated that the usage gives symmetry with the
>> View layer, and that forms are largely considered part of a Data
>> Transfer Object anyways, which is one form of "model". Mike and others
>> indicated that they feel "model" is a loaded term and could raise
>> unintended connotations for new users. Matthew asked Mike to create a
>> poll; the functionality remains the same, but we should ask a larger
>> population what their preference is for naming. (Mike suggested
>> "Object".)
>>
>> If you scroll through the meeting log you will find the full discussion :)
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mike Willbanks
>>

> --
> Matthew Weier O'Phinney

+1 for setData() / bind()

Sascha-Oliver Prolic

Re: POLL: The Naming of Form Binding Method to a "Thing"

Stewart Lord
I love top posting, don't apologize :)

+1 for the new naming.

On 12-03-22 2:58 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:

> Top posting, sorry....
>
> Another option exists, which I mentioned in IRC. Stewart Lord suggested
> changing "bindData()" to simply "setData()", since it's not always
> "binding", and the real bind operation happens if you're, you gussed it,
> binding an object.
>
> This leaves the following possible:
>
>   * setData($arrayOrTraversable)
>   * bind($object)
>
> which means we don't have to choose a term at all.
>
> -- Mike Willbanks<[hidden email]>  wrote
> (on Thursday, 22 March 2012, 02:43 PM -0500):
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I've posted the poll in regards to the discussion yesterday during the
>> IRC meeting on the Forms RFC;
>> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV2/2012-03-21+Meeting+Log
>>
>> The poll is located here:
>> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=46793442
>>
>> For those unwilling to click the Meeting Log link, here is the summary
>> from Matthew:
>> Mike Willbanks (mwillbanks) raised an objection to using the term
>> "Model" in the form component. Matthew and Guilherme Blanco
>> (guilhermeblanco) indicated that the usage gives symmetry with the
>> View layer, and that forms are largely considered part of a Data
>> Transfer Object anyways, which is one form of "model". Mike and others
>> indicated that they feel "model" is a loaded term and could raise
>> unintended connotations for new users. Matthew asked Mike to create a
>> poll; the functionality remains the same, but we should ask a larger
>> population what their preference is for naming. (Mike suggested
>> "Object".)
>>
>> If you scroll through the meeting log you will find the full discussion :)
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mike Willbanks

Re: POLL: The Naming of Form Binding Method to a "Thing"

Mike Willbanks
> This leaves the following possible:
>
>  * setData($arrayOrTraversable)
>  * bind($object)
>
> which means we don't have to choose a term at all.

+1

Re: POLL: The Naming of Form Binding Method to a "Thing"

Andreas Möller
> I love top posting, don't apologize :)

OT, but "top posting" is not a good practice by some, if not many -
just as is referencing Wikipedia as a supportive argument.

Read this;

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Posting_style&useformat=desktop#Choosing_the_proper_posting_style

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Posting_style&useformat=desktop#Top-posting

Best regards,

Andreas

Re: POLL: The Naming of Form Binding Method to a "Thing"

Andreas Möller
> This leaves the following possible:
>
> * setData($arrayOrTraversable)
> * bind($object)
>
> which means we don't have to choose a term at all.

+1

In support of this, where do you suggest I should leave my vote?

Best regards,

Andreas

RE: POLL: The Naming of Form Binding Method to a "Thing"

BullfrogBlues

> Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 16:58:21 -0500

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [zf-contributors] POLL: The Naming of Form Binding Method to a "Thing"
>
> Top posting, sorry....
>
> Another option exists, which I mentioned in IRC. Stewart Lord suggested
> changing "bindData()" to simply "setData()", since it's not always
> "binding", and the real bind operation happens if you're, you gussed it,
> binding an object.
>
> This leaves the following possible:
>
> * setData($arrayOrTraversable)
> * bind($object)
>
> --
> Matthew Weier O'Phinney
> Project Lead | [hidden email]
> Zend Framework | http://framework.zend.com/

+1 for bind($object)

What about applyData($arrayOrTraversable) ?

Regards,

Gerry