Out of the office Tuesday-Thursday

Jayson Minard (ZF)
Out of the office Tuesday-Thursday I am out of the “office” (meaning here on the list) from lunch today through late Thursday on a trip to coordinate some framework efforts with a partner company.  I am taking the issues I laid out in the Monday status update with me to finish off and update you at the end of the week where we stand, and hopefully get some of the changes done by then as well.

Things to keep in mind this week and next:  0.1.4 needs to start shutting down, so concentrate more on unit tests, documentation and fixes than new work.  In the core, Zend_Controller/Router are the biggest areas of new work for this release.   Zend_Config and other pending-incubator proposals should be in the incubator by this milestone as well if they are approved and ready.  Zend_Mail and Zend_Http_Client need to get status checks done to find out where they’ll stand for 0.1.4.  So if you are contributing, this is the week to get those changes and patches in so we can start wrapping up.  Outstanding issues in Trac will be triaged soon that need to be resolved in 0.1.4.  Let me know your thoughts if something jumps to mind here or if I missed anything.

And to prepare for the post-0.1.4 proposal catch-up, make sure your proposals are up to date and ready for review, including old ones that are requesting a second life in the “laboratory” which will be ready to go by then as well.   As this review progresses, we’ll plan 0.2.0 and a few releases beyond.

Have fun, I’ll try to get as much time responding as I can, but the work during the day will place me mostly online the mailing list in the evenings only.

--j

Re: Out of the office Tuesday-Thursday

Kevin McArthur-2
Out of the office Tuesday-Thursday
 In the core, Zend_Controller/Router are the biggest areas of new work for this release.

Does this mean the newly rewritten router will be included as the default for 0.1.4? Is it backwards compatible with 0.1.3?

Are the docs for this updated? If not can someone please provide the detailed changes that need docs and I'll put together a patch.

Kevin McArthur

P.S. I was hoping to get some more of the Zend_Pdf improvements we are working on into this release but I guess that's not going to happen. I have an alpha patch from Willie which needs to be cleaned up before it can be committed. The patch will support TTF fonts in PDF. Alexander and I need to complete changes to the PDF streams api to reduce overall memory consumption as well. I'd estimate the TTF stuff will be done by the end of the week (though not thoroughly tested, [but better than nothing for sure]) and as for the streams stuff, I'd have to talk to Alexander for a timeline. There's also a few fixes for stream_must_seek (thanks Andi) when using urls within pdf (elsewhere?) that should be corrected. So keep this stuff in mind when picking a release schedule for 0.1.4

--j

Re: Out of the office Tuesday-Thursday

Jayson Minard (ZF)
Re: [fw-general] Out of the office Tuesday-Thursday Kevin,

I’ll update you on the new router after I finish reviewing the latest that I just received (that isn’t committed yet).

For Zend_Pdf, how about the TTF changes for 0.1.4 (figure a week from Thursday for release target based on what I’m hearing so far in other areas), and the streams memory work for a few weeks later (maybe an interim 0.1.5 before 0.2.0)?  Streams bug fixes can come in either depending on your feeling on getting them done.

I would like to start hitting a release every other week (or every third max) and then slotting work into that regular pulse.  We’ll have to do a bit more branch management to bridge over milestones that some want to skip (hopefully rare), but otherwise we can keep constantly heading back to ready and stable code on those dates.  Then rather than saying “when is everyone ready”, we can say “what will make it and what will we slip to the next” but always know the “when” part.

--j

On 5/23/06 9:31 AM, "Kevin McArthur" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In the core, Zend_Controller/Router are the biggest areas of new work for this release.

Does this mean the newly rewritten router will be included as the default for 0.1.4? Is it backwards compatible with 0.1.3?

Are the docs for this updated? If not can someone please provide the detailed changes that need docs and I'll put together a patch.

Kevin McArthur

P.S. I was hoping to get some more of the Zend_Pdf improvements we are working on into this release but I guess that's not going to happen. I have an alpha patch from Willie which needs to be cleaned up before it can be committed. The patch will support TTF fonts in PDF. Alexander and I need to complete changes to the PDF streams api to reduce overall memory consumption as well. I'd estimate the TTF stuff will be done by the end of the week (though not thoroughly tested, [but better than nothing for sure]) and as for the streams stuff, I'd have to talk to Alexander for a timeline. There's also a few fixes for stream_must_seek (thanks Andi) when using urls within pdf (elsewhere?) that should be corrected. So keep this stuff in mind when picking a release schedule for 0.1.4

Re: Out of the office Tuesday-Thursday

Arnaud Limbourg
The release schedule is a good idea to get something out, it is more
important to get something out rather than wait to get a whole
feature-set in.

Arnaud.

--
Arnaud