News: canonical repo is now on GitHub

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

News: canonical repo is now on GitHub

weierophinney
Administrator
Hey, all!

I've got more news to share: our canonical repo is now on GitHub!

If you have been using git.zendframework.com/zf.git, you need to change
your remotes. This is easy; if you were using it as your "origin" repo,
simply do the following:

    $ git remote rm origin
    $ git remote add origin https://github.com/zendframework/zf2.git
    $ git fetch origin

If you'd named your remote differently, substitute that name for
"origin" above.

The repo at git.zendframework.com will remain indefinitely, and mirrors
GitHub every 15 minutes at this time. We do urge you to update your
remotes, however.

The reasons for the change?

 * Since we no longer require a CLA, our principle reason for
   self-hosting (managing ACLs) is gone.

 * Handling pull requests has been awkward. We committed to our
   canonical repo, then had to manually close PRs on GitHub... and then
   users tracking github would have to wait until the next sync.

 * GitHub offers simpler ACL management, which has allowed us to now add
   the CR Team as committers.

 * GitHub has a WEALTH of hooks available, including for services like
   JIRA, IRC, email, and a ton of others -- I've enabled IRC and email
   already.

Basically, using GitHub gives us more options, and simplifies our
workflow.

A huge thanks to the folks at GitHub for originally setting up our
mirror, and now tearing it down!

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
Project Lead            | [hidden email]
Zend Framework          | http://framework.zend.com/
PGP key: http://framework.zend.com/zf-matthew-pgp-key.asc

--
List: [hidden email]
Info: http://framework.zend.com/archives
Unsubscribe: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: News: canonical repo is now on GitHub

Artur Bodera
On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney
<[hidden email]>wrote:

>  * Since we no longer require a CLA, our principle reason for
>   self-hosting (managing ACLs) is gone.
>
>
Could you elaborate?

Github migration, uh, ok... nice.
*But this*? I'd say this might be the pivotal part of your message :-)

btw: there seems to be increasing activity on interactive channels (such
as irc and one-to-one email message between zf team) while the rest of
the world (read: ML and dev wiki readers) are left in the dark. We've had
this discussion some time ago and there was a little stir with lack of
transparency. Every time I peek at github zf2 project's activity stream
there
seems to be a lot of (fat) changes being merged, with little or no context,
background info. Now that.

Don't you guys think it's a bit... weird..  and off-putting for
collaborators
that are NOT sitting 24/7 (or 10h US continental timezone) on irc ?

--
      __
     /.)\   +48 695 600 936
     \(./   [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: News: canonical repo is now on GitHub

weierophinney
Administrator
-- Artur Bodera <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Friday, 18 November 2011, 06:32 PM +0100):
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
> >  * Since we no longer require a CLA, our principle reason for
> >    self-hosting (managing ACLs) is gone.
> >
> Could you elaborate?
>
> Github migration, uh, ok... nice.
> *But this*? I'd say this might be the pivotal part of your message :-)

The CLA change was announced last week, in the ML, on the devblog, in
IRC, and on twitter. If you missed it, I'm not sure what to say; it's
not for lack of us trying to cover the bases.

> btw: there seems to be increasing activity on interactive channels (such
> as irc and one-to-one email message between zf team) while the rest of
> the world (read: ML and dev wiki readers) are left in the dark.

As noted above, this was simply not the case.

> We've had this discussion some time ago and there was a little stir
> with lack of transparency.

If you think this is the case, can you please provide some ideas on how
we can be more transparent? Like I said, we're definitely trying to
cover all the bases, but if there are other things we can do, I'd love
to hear what suggestions you have.

> Every time I peek at github zf2 project's activity stream there seems
> to be a lot of (fat) changes being merged, with little or no context,
> background info.

Can you provide some examples?

All of the changes I've merged of late have been the direct result of
discussions on the ML (though some details may have been discussed in
IRC, the bulk of them have been via the ML). These include:

 * The changes Evan introduced re: module loading events
   (see this thread: http://bit.ly/tZYhpJ)
 * The changes Evan introduced re: configuration merging
   (see the above thread, as well as this one: http://bit.ly/uL5G7o)
 * Moving the ZF1 MVC layer into a separate module (this is the only
   change I've authored myself of late)
   (you yourself participated in the thread and gave it a thumbs up)

The only other major changes have been due to refactoring based on user
feedback -- some changes in Di and Code by Ralph fall in this category,
as do a bunch or Router improvements by Ben.

> Don't you guys think it's a bit... weird..  and off-putting for
> collaborators that are NOT sitting 24/7 (or 10h US continental
> timezone) on irc ?

Again, the development is being _initiated_ via ML threads, and I think
I've illustated that well here.

One suggestion I have would be that as large changes are pushed, the
author should post to the list indicating the change is done and perhaps
illustrating usage?

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
Project Lead            | [hidden email]
Zend Framework          | http://framework.zend.com/
PGP key: http://framework.zend.com/zf-matthew-pgp-key.asc

--
List: [hidden email]
Info: http://framework.zend.com/archives
Unsubscribe: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: News: canonical repo is now on GitHub

Artur Bodera
On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 7:18 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> The CLA change was announced last week, in the ML, on the devblog, in
> IRC, and on twitter. If you missed it, I'm not sure what to say; it's
> not for lack of us trying to cover the bases.
>

I felt stupid for a brief moment, then scanned all ML messages for CLA, then
tried searching nabble....

http://zend-framework-community.634137.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=634137&query=CLA&sort=date

Where is it ?

ps: i've just found "a mention" on
devblog<http://framework.zend.com/zf2/blog/entry/2011-11-11-Dev-status-update>...
a single sentence.. relating to irc meeting,
so irc again.

From a broader perspective:
IMO main source of my confusion is plethora of sources, which are unevenly
fed with (valuable) information. Wiki is filled with half-finished,
unmaintained and otherwise
abandoned articles and discussions. There really is a twitter account for
zf? Devblog and
whole zf2 sub-section which is not linked to main zendframework.com
(framework.zend.com). Are zf2 issues going to jira or github, as project is
now officialy
migrated to? What about github wikis? Git activity pages (from Evan's) are
obsolete now,
are they? (they look stalled anyways)

It might be a good idea to start organizing ZF2 info-flow as it's reaching
RC.



--
      __
     /.)\   +48 695 600 936
     \(./   [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: News: canonical repo is now on GitHub

Benoît Durand

Le 18 nov. 11 à 19:52, Artur Bodera a écrit :

> Are zf2 issues going to jira or github, as project is now officialy
> migrated to? What about github wikis?
Matthew talk only about git repository, and you want move all tools?  
We keep Confluence (Jira, and Wiki).

> Git activity pages (from Evan's) are obsolete now, are they? (they  
> look stalled anyways)
I think that you don't understand the app of Evan, and you don't read  
the last changes ;) Activity depends only of contributors on all forks  
of zf2 on GitHub ...

--
Benoît Durand
--
List: [hidden email]
Info: http://framework.zend.com/archives
Unsubscribe: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: News: canonical repo is now on GitHub

Artur Bodera
2011/11/18 Benoît Durand <[hidden email]>

>  Are zf2 issues going to jira or github, as project is now officialy
>> migrated to? What about github wikis?
>>
> Matthew talk only about git repository, and you want move all tools? We
> keep Confluence (Jira, and Wiki).


Of course he talked about it.
But there is little sense in scattering the information all around the
internet. We should try to centralize it to make it easier for folks to
find stuff and discuss around it. Also - how many different accounts do you
need to contribute to ZF2 ? previously you needed: svn account, jira
account wikis + enabling after CLA and linked to bugtracker, github account
for zf2, ml subscription (not mentioning twitter follows and blog subs and
occasional devzone)



>  Git activity pages (from Evan's) are obsolete now, are they? (they look
>> stalled anyways)
>>
> I think that you don't understand the app of Evan, and you don't read the
> last changes ;) Activity depends only of contributors on all forks of zf2
> on GitHub ...


I know how it works.
Have you seen it recently? Last update on *Aug 18* ? seriously ?

http://framework.zend.com/zf2/status


A.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: News: canonical repo is now on GitHub

Benoît Durand
In reply to this post by Artur Bodera

>
> Git activity pages (from Evan's) are obsolete now, are they? (they  
> look stalled anyways)
> I think that you don't understand the app of Evan, and you don't  
> read the last changes ;) Activity depends only of contributors on  
> all forks of zf2 on GitHub ...
>
> I know how it works.
> Have you seen it recently? Aug 18 ? seriously ?
>
> http://framework.zend.com/zf2/status
Bad url, look this http://zf2.evan.pro/recent.

--
Benoît Durand
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: News: canonical repo is now on GitHub

Benoît Durand
In reply to this post by Artur Bodera

Le 18 nov. 11 à 20:18, Artur Bodera a écrit :

>> Git activity pages (from Evan's) are obsolete now, are they? (they  
>> look
>>> stalled anyways)
>>>
>> I think that you don't understand the app of Evan, and you don't  
>> read the
>> last changes ;) Activity depends only of contributors on all forks  
>> of zf2
>> on GitHub ...
>
>
> I know how it works.
> Have you seen it recently? Last update on *Aug 18* ? seriously ?
>
> http://framework.zend.com/zf2/status
Bad url, try this http://zf2.evan.pro/recent

--
Benoît Durand
--
List: [hidden email]
Info: http://framework.zend.com/archives
Unsubscribe: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: News: canonical repo is now on GitHub

EvanDotPro
2011/11/18 Benoît Durand <[hidden email]>:

>
> Le 18 nov. 11 à 20:18, Artur Bodera a écrit :
>
>
>>> Git activity pages (from Evan's) are obsolete now, are they? (they look
>>>>
>>>> stalled anyways)
>>>>
>>> I think that you don't understand the app of Evan, and you don't read the
>>> last changes ;) Activity depends only of contributors on all forks of zf2
>>> on GitHub ...
>>
>>
>>
>> I know how it works.
>> Have you seen it recently? Last update on *Aug 18* ? seriously ?
>>
>> http://framework.zend.com/zf2/status
>
> Bad url, try this http://zf2.evan.pro/recent

By the way, after some months of watching my zf-status tool and
personally following ZF2 development, there are some changes I plan on
making to make this tool more accurate and real-time. When I get
around to updating it, I'll post to the ML.

--
Evan Coury

--
List: [hidden email]
Info: http://framework.zend.com/archives
Unsubscribe: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: News: canonical repo is now on GitHub

weierophinney
Administrator
In reply to this post by Artur Bodera
-- Artur Bodera <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Friday, 18 November 2011, 07:52 PM +0100):

> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 7:18 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > The CLA change was announced last week, in the ML, on the devblog, in
> > IRC, and on twitter. If you missed it, I'm not sure what to say; it's
> > not for lack of us trying to cover the bases.
> >
>
> I felt stupid for a brief moment, then scanned all ML messages for CLA, then
> tried searching nabble....
>
> http://zend-framework-community.634137.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=634137&query=CLA&sort=date
>
> Where is it ?

You're right -- I evidently forgot to mention it here. However,
considering that the tweet I made about it got retweeted several hundred
times and picked up by places like phpdeveloper.org, it was mentioned in
the devblog status, and a commit occurred for removing the CLA verbiage,
I think the omission can be excused.

> ps: i've just found "a mention" on
> devblog<http://framework.zend.com/zf2/blog/entry/2011-11-11-Dev-status-update>...
> a single sentence.. relating to irc meeting,
> so irc again.

Actually, it was in a section marked "Development" in a STATUS UPDATE.
Again, I'm not sure how much more we need to do to call these things
out.

Look, I'm sorry you missed the message. Short of me calling you
personally with every little change, I'm really not sure what else to do
here.

> From a broader perspective: IMO main source of my confusion is
> plethora of sources, which are unevenly fed with (valuable)
> information. Wiki is filled with half-finished, unmaintained and
> otherwise abandoned articles and discussions.

Excuse me? How is it "half-finished" or "unmaintained"? Please clarify.

There are active RFCs, we post the IRC logs there... Some are complete,
and have code backing them in the repository... and as such are no
longer "active", but still serve as documentation of _process_.

What more do you need?

> There really is a twitter account for zf?

No, there's not. But we have some standard hash tags:

 * #zf
 * #zf2
 * #zendframework

I, and many contributors and users, have searches on those, and word
spreads quickly.

Should we have an official twitter account? Probably.

> Devblog and whole zf2 sub-section which is not linked to main
> zendframework.com

I beg to differ:

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5759329/zf2_link.png

> Are zf2 issues going to jira or github, as project is now officialy
> migrated to? What about github wikis?

The only thing we migrated is our repository. Issues have been going to
JIRA the whole time, and we use the project's wiki (wiki and issues on
github are actually disabled). I'd call that keeping information
consolidated, tbh -- particularly when you consider that the project is
MORE THAN ZF2; we should have both zf1 and zf2 information in one place,
which we do.

In fact, the ZF2 repo on github links to http://framework.zend.com/zf2,
which has links to the wiki, the issue tracker, etc. So, even with
github, we're directing discussion back to a single location.

> Git activity pages (from Evan's) are obsolete now, are they? (they
> look stalled anyways)

The cronjob I have is broken, and my code is not up-to-date with Evan's
latest version. I need to fix this; it simply hasn't been high priority,
unfortunately.

> It might be a good idea to start organizing ZF2 info-flow as it's
> reaching RC.

Then please start a discussion clearly stating what you feel is broken,
and WHY, and WHAT you would do differently. I've answered your questions
above, and clearly identified a few things we should do differently, as
well as why some things are the way they are. If you don't buy those
answers, provide a viable and compelling alternative.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
Project Lead            | [hidden email]
Zend Framework          | http://framework.zend.com/
PGP key: http://framework.zend.com/zf-matthew-pgp-key.asc

--
List: [hidden email]
Info: http://framework.zend.com/archives
Unsubscribe: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: News: canonical repo is now on GitHub

Wil Moore III
>
> Look, I'm sorry you missed the message. Short of me calling you personally
> with every little change, I'm really not sure what else to do here.
>

Matthew, for your own sanity and the benefit of this community, grab a beer
(or your drink of choice) and watch this and let yourself be relieved :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F-3E8pyjFo

FYI, as a reminder, you guys are doing an awesome job. Thank you!

  [image: -Wil Moore III] <http://wilmoore.com/>
http://www.linkedin.com/in/wilmoore <http://www.linkedin.com/in/wilmoore
http://twitter.com/wilmoore>
http://twitter.com/wilmoore <http://www.linkedin.com/in/wilmoore
http://twitter.com/wilmoore>
You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change
something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.
--Buckminster Fuller


On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 13:37, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]>wrote:

> -- Artur Bodera <[hidden email]> wrote
> (on Friday, 18 November 2011, 07:52 PM +0100):
> > On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 7:18 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney
> > <[hidden email]>wrote:
> >
> > > The CLA change was announced last week, in the ML, on the devblog, in
> > > IRC, and on twitter. If you missed it, I'm not sure what to say; it's
> > > not for lack of us trying to cover the bases.
> > >
> >
> > I felt stupid for a brief moment, then scanned all ML messages for CLA,
> then
> > tried searching nabble....
> >
> >
> http://zend-framework-community.634137.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=634137&query=CLA&sort=date
> >
> > Where is it ?
>
> You're right -- I evidently forgot to mention it here. However,
> considering that the tweet I made about it got retweeted several hundred
> times and picked up by places like phpdeveloper.org, it was mentioned in
> the devblog status, and a commit occurred for removing the CLA verbiage,
> I think the omission can be excused.
>
> > ps: i've just found "a mention" on
> > devblog<
> http://framework.zend.com/zf2/blog/entry/2011-11-11-Dev-status-update>...
> > a single sentence.. relating to irc meeting,
> > so irc again.
>
> Actually, it was in a section marked "Development" in a STATUS UPDATE.
> Again, I'm not sure how much more we need to do to call these things
> out.
>
> Look, I'm sorry you missed the message. Short of me calling you
> personally with every little change, I'm really not sure what else to do
> here.
>
> > From a broader perspective: IMO main source of my confusion is
> > plethora of sources, which are unevenly fed with (valuable)
> > information. Wiki is filled with half-finished, unmaintained and
> > otherwise abandoned articles and discussions.
>
> Excuse me? How is it "half-finished" or "unmaintained"? Please clarify.
>
> There are active RFCs, we post the IRC logs there... Some are complete,
> and have code backing them in the repository... and as such are no
> longer "active", but still serve as documentation of _process_.
>
> What more do you need?
>
> > There really is a twitter account for zf?
>
> No, there's not. But we have some standard hash tags:
>
>  * #zf
>  * #zf2
>  * #zendframework
>
> I, and many contributors and users, have searches on those, and word
> spreads quickly.
>
> Should we have an official twitter account? Probably.
>
> > Devblog and whole zf2 sub-section which is not linked to main
> > zendframework.com
>
> I beg to differ:
>
>    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5759329/zf2_link.png
>
> > Are zf2 issues going to jira or github, as project is now officialy
> > migrated to? What about github wikis?
>
> The only thing we migrated is our repository. Issues have been going to
> JIRA the whole time, and we use the project's wiki (wiki and issues on
> github are actually disabled). I'd call that keeping information
> consolidated, tbh -- particularly when you consider that the project is
> MORE THAN ZF2; we should have both zf1 and zf2 information in one place,
> which we do.
>
> In fact, the ZF2 repo on github links to http://framework.zend.com/zf2,
> which has links to the wiki, the issue tracker, etc. So, even with
> github, we're directing discussion back to a single location.
>
> > Git activity pages (from Evan's) are obsolete now, are they? (they
> > look stalled anyways)
>
> The cronjob I have is broken, and my code is not up-to-date with Evan's
> latest version. I need to fix this; it simply hasn't been high priority,
> unfortunately.
>
> > It might be a good idea to start organizing ZF2 info-flow as it's
> > reaching RC.
>
> Then please start a discussion clearly stating what you feel is broken,
> and WHY, and WHAT you would do differently. I've answered your questions
> above, and clearly identified a few things we should do differently, as
> well as why some things are the way they are. If you don't buy those
> answers, provide a viable and compelling alternative.
>
> --
> Matthew Weier O'Phinney
> Project Lead            | [hidden email]
> Zend Framework          | http://framework.zend.com/
> PGP key: http://framework.zend.com/zf-matthew-pgp-key.asc
>
> --
> List: [hidden email]
> Info: http://framework.zend.com/archives
> Unsubscribe: [hidden email]
>
>
>
--
Wil Moore III

Best Practices for Working with Open-Source Developers
http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ch19s02.html

Why is Bottom-posting better than Top-posting:
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

DO NOT TOP-POST and DO trim your replies:
http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php#toppost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: News: canonical repo is now on GitHub

Stewart Lord
In reply to this post by weierophinney
On 11-11-18 12:37 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> You're right -- I evidently forgot to mention it here. However,
> considering that the tweet I made about it got retweeted several hundred
> times and picked up by places like phpdeveloper.org, it was mentioned in
> the devblog status, and a commit occurred for removing the CLA verbiage,
> I think the omission can be excused.


Don't sweat it! For what it's worth, the mailing list is how I like to
stay tuned. I prefer it because the news comes to me and I'm lazy :)

The CLA was actually one of the selling points of ZF for us (as it is
with Dojo). I don't know what impact this will have on our ability to
adopt ZF2, but it is likely something that will be viewed as a con when
the time comes.

Cheers,
Stew

--
List: [hidden email]
Info: http://framework.zend.com/archives
Unsubscribe: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: News: canonical repo is now on GitHub

Artur Bodera
In reply to this post by Wil Moore III
On 18 lis 2011, at 22:53, Wil Moore III <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Matthew, for your own sanity and the benefit of this community, grab a beer
> (or your drink of choice) and watch this and let yourself be relieved :)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F-3E8pyjFo

It seems you're not the smoothest in your puns, Wil.

That could have gone on priv mail, if you had a problem with what I
say or do. Anyways you're free to join a merit discussion, if you're
up to it. And of course, Matthew and the whole gang are doing a great
job.

A.

--
List: [hidden email]
Info: http://framework.zend.com/archives
Unsubscribe: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: News: canonical repo is now on GitHub

Wil Moore III
In reply to this post by Wil Moore III
I screwed up...I meant to send the original to Matthew only.

Matthew, I apologize for putting you on the spot like that.

Artur, regardless of what my opinion might be, I do apologize for putting
you out in public. It wasn't nice; though it was not my intention to blast
it publicly, it was definitely my fault.

Also, I apologize to the rest of the list for the unnecessary noise.
--
Wil Moore III

Best Practices for Working with Open-Source Developers
http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ch19s02.html

Why is Bottom-posting better than Top-posting:
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

DO NOT TOP-POST and DO trim your replies:
http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php#toppost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: News: canonical repo is now on GitHub

Artur Bodera
In reply to this post by weierophinney
On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 9:37 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> You're right -- I evidently forgot to mention it here. However,
> considering that the tweet I made about it got retweeted several hundred
> times and picked up by places like phpdeveloper.org, it was mentioned in
> the devblog status, and a commit occurred for removing the CLA verbiage,
> I think the omission can be excused.
>

Let me present this side of the story. You can do whatever you want with it.

I don't use twitter, because it consumes a lot of (valuable) time (i rarely
use facebook, g+ and only for friend/family stuff). Do we want twitter to
be _the_ annoucement channel for zf ?

Amongst 1000s of php-related websites and blogs and tens of good ones, I
don't subscribe this one (phpdeveloper.org) and same - do we want this
external website to be the official annoucement source?



> Actually, it was in a section marked "Development" in a STATUS UPDATE.
> Again, I'm not sure how much more we need to do to call these things
> out.
>  Look, I'm sorry you missed the message. Short of me calling you
> personally with every little change, I'm really not sure what else to do
> here.
>

Sarcasm aside, I'd like to point out numerous posts by yours truly and
other Zend folks explaining and defending the purpose of CLA for ZF. This
was the main differentiation point in the land of PHP frameworks. This was
the legal advantage over Symphony, Cake and others. Now it has
been silently dropped.

A few days back, someone somewhere "made a decision" and it was "announced"
by you, Matthew, like a little bird, with "a tweet" and irc? That goes
against the importance of ZF CLA you've drawn for years and that's the
transparency issue I've raised. Nothing personal, just asking as a non-Zend
contributor and user.

So basically I see two issues here:
1) I thought ML is _THE_ source of information on ZF development. Your
ommision is probably just a human error, but it probably relates to the
lack of comm.channel priorities. This means, and we've tried to discuss it
before on ML, there is not a single one main source of information. I mean,
if ZF was (somehow) to become a commercial product bundled with Zend
Server, where would that annoucement land? If there was an important vote?
If there was a new task-team assembled? is the slash-zf2 website (
zendframework.com/zf2) a future source of info for contributors or
developers (users) ?

For contributors:
What is the nr 1 source of info? And is it a closed or open source? (i.e.
blog that is writable only by you, or ml/wiki that is writable by multiple
contributors).

What is the nr 2 source of info?

With ZF2 there are dimensions of core and non-core development. And there
are proposals.
This will form a "hot to start contributing to ZF2" readme.

For developers/users:
What is the nr 1 source of news/annoucements?

What is the nr 2 source ?

The above can now be analyzed in "core" and "modules" perspective. As
modules will probably be decentralized (scattered across the web), it would
be nice to have a central place for news. For example, if I author a useful
module (or an update), can I write zf-contributors@ about it? Or maybe we
could have zf-modules@ list ?



2) Dumping CLA is big news. Bigger for some people, while less important
for others. Aside from an annoucement, what happens to the ZF2 licence
itself? What are the rationale? I know this enables ZF2 to grow faster,
thanks to "anonymous" PR, hopefuly more code and wiki activity, but what
about those who relied on ZF being built by people under CLA for legal
reasons?



I beg to differ:
>
>    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5759329/zf2_link.png
>
>
I stand corrected. I would never find it otherwise.



> The only thing we migrated is our repository. Issues have been going to
> JIRA the whole time, and we use the project's wiki (wiki and issues on
> github are actually disabled). I'd call that keeping information
> consolidated, tbh -- particularly when you consider that the project is
> MORE THAN ZF2; we should have both zf1 and zf2 information in one place,
> which we do.
>

Ok. Good idea.



> In fact, the ZF2 repo on github links to http://framework.zend.com/zf2,
> which has links to the wiki, the issue tracker, etc. So, even with
> github, we're directing discussion back to a single location.
>

Good direction.

--
      __
     /.)\   +48 695 600 936
     \(./   [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: News: canonical repo is now on GitHub

David Muir-2
On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 11:01 PM, Artur Bodera <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 9:37 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > You're right -- I evidently forgot to mention it here. However,
> > considering that the tweet I made about it got retweeted several hundred
> > times and picked up by places like phpdeveloper.org, it was mentioned in
> > the devblog status, and a commit occurred for removing the CLA verbiage,
> > I think the omission can be excused.
> >
>
> Let me present this side of the story. You can do whatever you want with
> it.
>
> I don't use twitter, because it consumes a lot of (valuable) time (i rarely
> use facebook, g+ and only for friend/family stuff). Do we want twitter to
> be _the_ annoucement channel for zf ?
>
> Amongst 1000s of php-related websites and blogs and tens of good ones, I
> don't subscribe this one (phpdeveloper.org) and same - do we want this
> external website to be the official annoucement source?
>
>
>
This was news to me too, and I read the ML and planet-php.net daily.

David
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: News: canonical repo is now on GitHub

Jurian Sluiman
In reply to this post by Artur Bodera
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: News: canonical repo is now on GitHub

Gregory
I think the concerns that Artur raised could be somewhat resolved if
the weekly ML status updates continued to happen?

Is there a daily IRC log available anywhere?


--
Greg

--
List: [hidden email]
Info: http://framework.zend.com/archives
Unsubscribe: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: News: canonical repo is now on GitHub

EvanDotPro
On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Greg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think the concerns that Artur raised could be somewhat resolved if
> the weekly ML status updates continued to happen?
>
> Is there a daily IRC log available anywhere?

I do have a daily IRC log of #zftalk.2 on my server; the URL is
available upon request (join the channel and ask me for it) for those
who wish to follow channel activity while they're not online. I'm
intentionally not publishing the logs publicly because I do not want
the #zftalk.2 channel to be burdened with the stigma and atmosphere of
a publicly logged channel at this point in development.

--
Evan Coury

--
List: [hidden email]
Info: http://framework.zend.com/archives
Unsubscribe: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: News: canonical repo is now on GitHub

weierophinney
Administrator
In reply to this post by Stewart Lord
-- Stewart Lord <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Friday, 18 November 2011, 02:17 PM -0800):

> On 11-11-18 12:37 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> > You're right -- I evidently forgot to mention it here. However,
> > considering that the tweet I made about it got retweeted several hundred
> > times and picked up by places like phpdeveloper.org, it was mentioned in
> > the devblog status, and a commit occurred for removing the CLA verbiage,
> > I think the omission can be excused.
>
>
> Don't sweat it! For what it's worth, the mailing list is how I like
> to stay tuned. I prefer it because the news comes to me and I'm lazy
> :)
>
> The CLA was actually one of the selling points of ZF for us (as it
> is with Dojo). I don't know what impact this will have on our
> ability to adopt ZF2, but it is likely something that will be viewed
> as a con when the time comes.

You're actually the first person who has indicated that, to be honest.
Hopefully it will not be an issue; if it is, please contact Zend to
discuss.

Thanks!

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
Project Lead            | [hidden email]
Zend Framework          | http://framework.zend.com/
PGP key: http://framework.zend.com/zf-matthew-pgp-key.asc

--
List: [hidden email]
Info: http://framework.zend.com/archives
Unsubscribe: [hidden email]


12