Mysql adapter

latterd
Hi, I just have a quick question, Why doesn't ZF have a standard mysql
adapter? apart from PDO, mysqli?

Would it be easy to modify an existing adapter to get this
functionality? I'm on a server that's not got mysqli, or PDO mysql
driver.

Thanks.

Re: Mysql adapter

David Mintz

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Daniel Latter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, I just have a quick question, Why doesn't ZF have a standard mysql adapter? apart from PDO, mysqli?

Would it be easy to modify an existing adapter to get this functionality? I'm on a server that's not got mysqli, or PDO mysql driver.

Thanks.

I'm no expert, but I would speculate that the reason is that the old mysql_xxxx API is on its way to deprecation.

Any chance of either changing your server environment or moving someplace more congenial?

Or maybe you can load what you need dynamically with dl()?

--
Demand health care for all.
Commit to doing civil disobedience, legal protest,

--
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

Re: Mysql adapter

David Mintz

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Daniel Latter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Any chance of either changing your server environment or moving someplace more congenial?
I asked but no joy, rubbish I know - cant move either.

Sound like you need to dl() your extension then, or else write your own adapter.

--
Demand health care for all.
Commit to doing civil disobedience, legal protest,
or make a donation:  http://mobilizeforhealthcare.org/

--
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

Re: Mysql adapter

Ralph Schindler-2
The mysql extension does not support preparing queries or binding
values, it only supports straight pass through of sql and returning a
result set.

So in short a) it doesnt support php to database best practices, and b)
it is not in active development, only maintenance mode.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/mysqli.overview.php, see the chart at the
bottom.

-ralph

Daniel Latter wrote:
> Hi, I just have a quick question, Why doesn't ZF have a standard mysql
> adapter? apart from PDO, mysqli?
>
> Would it be easy to modify an existing adapter to get this
> functionality? I'm on a server that's not got mysqli, or PDO mysql driver.
>
> Thanks.

Re: Mysql adapter

latterd
Hi,

Thanks for that Ralph, and David, it just seemed to me that it would
have been the ( one of )  first adapter ( even if it were to be
deprecated)  to get built, I totally understand what your saying and
luckily for me I finally pursuaded our host to enable it on our server
( i know, why wasn't it enabled neway? ) . I know it may just be I
have inherited a substandard host but i was just curious to why ZF
left it out, now I understand. This is why ZF community is the best,
and the best FW by far, and that's not too biased cos I've dabbled
with Cake, Symphony , et al.

Thanks.