Many modules (10+) versus performance

Marian Meres-2
Hi,

I'm thinking about an app with with quite a few modules (10+) and I am
a little "theoretically" worried about the potential performance
issues related with it. My plan is to:

- use extremely few _init* methods in the application Bootstrap class
- use none _init* methods in the module's Bootstrap classes
- I still want to use Bootstrap classes and manually initialize things
as needed via custom methods

So, to my knowledge, those worries eventually come down to the:
a) Front controller's filesystem module directories discovery
b) Bootstrap class file_exists check in
Zend_Application_Resource_Modules per each module...

Am I right here? Am I not overseeing anything else? Do you consider
those worries legitimate? And, finally, is it a good idea with that
many modules or would design it differently (as separate apps for
example).

Thanks very much for your thoughts...

m.

Re: Many modules (10+) versus performance

till-2
On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Marian Meres <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking about an app with with quite a few modules (10+) and I am
> a little "theoretically" worried about the potential performance
> issues related with it. My plan is to:
>
> - use extremely few _init* methods in the application Bootstrap class
> - use none _init* methods in the module's Bootstrap classes
> - I still want to use Bootstrap classes and manually initialize things
> as needed via custom methods
>
> So, to my knowledge, those worries eventually come down to the:
> a) Front controller's filesystem module directories discovery
> b) Bootstrap class file_exists check in
> Zend_Application_Resource_Modules per each module...
>
> Am I right here? Am I not overseeing anything else? Do you consider
> those worries legitimate? And, finally, is it a good idea with that
> many modules or would design it differently (as separate apps for
> example).
>
> Thanks very much for your thoughts...
>
> m.

The framework is constantly evolving which is why I don't know all the
ins and outs by heart, but in your case I'd profile the app using
xdebug or xhprof and figure out an approach going from there.

It's really hard to say what is and what is not or what will be or
won't be the bottleneck otherwise.

E.g., simply adding APC and adding a sane configuration for the
realpath cache can help a lot. A custom autoloader might help too,
doing things explicit vs. implicit (with Zend_Application) might be
another thing.

There's no holy grail though. ;-)

Till