Is there anybody from Zend team ?

123

Is there anybody from Zend team ?

aoohralex
Is there anybody from Zend team - people who are developing Zend ?

Re: Is there anybody from Zend team ?

Ralph Schindler-2
Hey Aoohralex,

Yes, myself, Alex Veremyev and our team leader Matthew Weier O'Phinney
manage the Zend Framework project.  Many others at Zend contribute to
the project, but all of that is eclipsed by the 100's of active
developers that Zend Framework has.

Zend Framework would not be what it is today without the ongoing
contributions from the community that pour in each day.

Do you have a more specific question? :)

-ralph

> Is there anybody from Zend team - people who are developing Zend ?

Re: Is there anybody from Zend team ?

aoohralex
Yes I have more questions :) I know Symfony Framework and SF is MORE comfortable but I have some questions about ZF:

1. Why I must register to download ZF ?

2. Why after generate ZF project using console:
zf.bat create project quickstart
and after placed it on the server it DOESN'T WORK !!
I must create .htaccess:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /quickstart/public/$1 [QSA,L]
And then it works - BUT YOU SHOULD WRITE ABOUT THAT IN TUTORIAL !!

3. Why I must modify application.ini file ? I must add:
resources.layout.layoutPath = APPLICATION_PATH "/layouts/scripts"
and create folder 'layout/scripts/layout.phtml'  ? It should be in generated project !! Everybody needs layout !! So it should be in generated project.

4. In which file should I write login, password etc. - to have access to my MySQL database ? I want to see empty places to write these data in some file.

Re: Is there anybody from Zend team ?

Matthew Ratzloff
1. Why I must register to download ZF ?

You don't, actually.  http://framework.zend.com/download/current/

2. Why after generate ZF project using console:
zf.bat create project quickstart
and after placed it on the server it DOESN'T WORK !!
I must create .htaccess:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /quickstart/public/$1 [QSA,L]
And then it works - BUT YOU SHOULD WRITE ABOUT THAT IN TUTORIAL !!

Yes, that looks like a pretty major oversight.  Here's a wiki article that might help:

Please file a ticket to update the documentation.

3. Why I must modify application.ini file ? I must add:
resources.layout.layoutPath = APPLICATION_PATH "/layouts/scripts"
and create folder 'layout/scripts/layout.phtml'  ? It should be in generated
project !! Everybody needs layout !! So it should be in generated project.

This may also be an oversight.  Please file a ticket.

4. In which file should I write login, password etc. - to have access to my
MySQL database ? I want to see empty places to write these data in some
file.

That would be your application.ini.  Please consult the manual for more information:

Specifically, if you want to use Zend_Db,

-Matt

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 10:55 AM, aoohralex <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Carlton Gibson-4
Ah okay, you don't need a member of the Zend team to answer these questions, many people form the community could do it.

On 15 Sep 2009, at 18:55, aoohralex wrote:

1. Why I must register to download ZF ?

You don't. You just need to register to use the CDN, which is faster. Somewhere or other there's a link to download without registering.

2. Why after generate ZF project using console:
zf.bat create project quickstart
and after placed it on the server it DOESN'T WORK !!
I must create .htaccess:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /quickstart/public/$1 [QSA,L]
And then it works - BUT YOU SHOULD WRITE ABOUT THAT IN TUTORIAL !!

You need to revisit the quick start. It's quite clear that you need to set up a .htaccess file.

3. Why I must modify application.ini file ? I must add:
resources.layout.layoutPath = APPLICATION_PATH "/layouts/scripts"
and create folder 'layout/scripts/layout.phtml'  ? It should be in generated
project !! Everybody needs layout !! So it should be in generated project.

Not everybody needs a layout. Indeed, before version 1.5 we all got on very well without one. I'm not saying that a layout isn't widely used, but I think that's why there's a whole section in the quickstart on how to add one.

4. In which file should I write login, password etc. - to have access to my
MySQL database ? I want to see empty places to write these data in some
file.

The best place is probably application.ini. You can then pass this info to Db resource in your bootstrap. I think the Zend_Db manual pages have an example of using config data to instantiate a Db adapter.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Carlton

Re: Is there anybody from Zend team ?

-- aoohralex <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Tuesday, 15 September 2009, 10:55 AM -0700):
> Yes I have more questions :) I know Symfony Framework and SF is MORE
> comfortable but I have some questions about ZF:
>
> 1. Why I must register to download ZF ?

You don't need to. The first, prominent link is to zend.com where you
can download ZF from the zend.com CDN -- which offers much better
download rates globally.

If you do not want to register, if you scroll down further on the page,
you'll find direct links.

> 2. Why after generate ZF project using console:
> zf.bat create project quickstart
> and after placed it on the server it DOESN'T WORK !!
> I must create .htaccess:
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /quickstart/public/$1 [QSA,L]
> And then it works - BUT YOU SHOULD WRITE ABOUT THAT IN TUTORIAL !!

There's a sentence about this at the end of the second page of the
quickstart:

    "Create a virtual host in your web server, and point its document
    root to your application's public/ subdirectory. Make sure your
    host's name is in your DNS or hosts file, and then point your
    browser to it."
    http://framework.zend.com/docs/quickstart/create-your-project

Note, it says to point your vhost to the project's *public*
subdirectory. If you look in that directory, you'll see that an
appropriate .htaccess file has been created.

> 3. Why I must modify application.ini file ? I must add:
> resources.layout.layoutPath = APPLICATION_PATH "/layouts/scripts"
> and create folder 'layout/scripts/layout.phtml'  ? It should be in generated
> project !! Everybody needs layout !! So it should be in generated project.

IIRC, Ralph is adding a Zend_Tool provider for adding the layout.
Layouts are *optional* within Zend Framework, but a provider will allow
generating one via the command line tool; we may make it a default
option as well, however, during project creation.

In the meantime, please be aware that one key difference between symfony
and ZF is that ZF does not generate much code for you; editing files is
much more common than generating them.

(I personally have a hard time switching to symfony, as I prefer to get
my hands dirty in the code; switching to a paradigm where tools are used
to generate code is difficult for me. I know the opposite is true for
symfony users who use ZF.)

> 4. In which file should I write login, password etc. - to have access to my
> MySQL database ? I want to see empty places to write these data in some
> file.

This is covered in the quickstart:

    http://framework.zend.com/docs/quickstart/create-a-model-and-database-table

Look for the fourth code sample, which shows adding your database
configuration to the configuration file. You will need to lookup what
options are necessary and/or available for your database adapter, and
those may be found here:

    http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/zend.db.html#zend.db.adapter.connecting.parameters

Re: Is there anybody from Zend team ?

joedevon
> If you do not want to register, if you scroll down further on the page,
> you'll find direct links.

I bet if Zend did some clickstream analysis, you guys would be shocked
how many people never see the links on the bottom of the page. I
remember the first time I wanted to find out more about Zend
Framework, I thought you had to register and even had the feeling that
it might cost money. It's only because it was part of a project I was
hired for that I eventually learned it.

I thought it was only me, but as co-organizer of the PHP Meetup in
L.A., more than one person told me it cost money to download.

As an experiment, I just now tried to pretend I know nothing about
Zend Framework and Googled it, went to the download page, and indeed
it's confusing for newbies if they click "Full package".

This might be affecting adoption rate more than you'd think. I'd
suggest more prominent direct links at every stage including the
registration page...see if the download numbers are affected.

Just my take.

(One of the biggest changes of my thinking as a web developer came
after speaking to a few marketing pros who analyze the hell out of
clickstreams, I learned that the littlest thing on a page can have a
drastic effect on success of a site.)

Re: Is there anybody from Zend team ?

swilhelm
If these issues caused @aoohralex problems, I can't wait to see his post regarding modules, ACL, form decorators, doing a db join, ....

- Steve W.

joedevon wrote
> If you do not want to register, if you scroll down further on the page,
> you'll find direct links.

I bet if Zend did some clickstream analysis, you guys would be shocked
how many people never see the links on the bottom of the page. I
remember the first time I wanted to find out more about Zend
Framework, I thought you had to register and even had the feeling that
it might cost money. It's only because it was part of a project I was
hired for that I eventually learned it.

I thought it was only me, but as co-organizer of the PHP Meetup in
L.A., more than one person told me it cost money to download.

As an experiment, I just now tried to pretend I know nothing about
Zend Framework and Googled it, went to the download page, and indeed
it's confusing for newbies if they click "Full package".

This might be affecting adoption rate more than you'd think. I'd
suggest more prominent direct links at every stage including the
registration page...see if the download numbers are affected.

Just my take.

(One of the biggest changes of my thinking as a web developer came
after speaking to a few marketing pros who analyze the hell out of
clickstreams, I learned that the littlest thing on a page can have a
drastic effect on success of a site.)

Re: Is there anybody from Zend team ?

aoohralex
Matthew:
ok - I needn't register to download ZF, but I didn't see these links at the bottom of page and I thought that I must register to download ZF.

You have given me link:
http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV/Configuring+Your+URL+Rewriter

but very often we can't modify httpd.conf so we must create .htaccess and based on above site .htaccess should look:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule !\.(js|ico|txt|gif|jpg|png|css)$ index.php

Unfortunately it doesn't work !! Because index.php is in /name_project/public/index.php - ZF always generate files in folder 'name_project' and 'index.php' is always in folder 'public' so this rewriterule is bad ! Somebody should correct this rewriterule.

.htaccess should look (or something like that - $1 is very important):
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /name_project/public/$1 [QSA,L]

About connect to database - I will see

Carlton:
Not everybody needs layout ? Then somebody can delete 1 folder + 1 line of code - I think this is faster than create folder + write 1 line. What is more - I think more people need layout than don't need. Furthermore in Symfony Framework or in ASP.NET - we have layout !!

Matthew Weier:
In my country it is normal (in 99% hostings) that users can't modify httpd.conf to add Virtual hosts and we can only create .htaccess file so in tutorial somebody should write about rewriterule.

About Symfony - yes it can generate many things but I don't use Symfony for generate these things - I like write everything by myself

joedevon:
I agree with You :D

swilhelm:
I wanted only write about some uncomfortable things in ZF - I would like to download ZF and started writing - I hate configure anything.
I know little ZF, I used it little 1 year ago, but then somebody has given me fully configured ZF. Now I would like to do everything by myself from start to the end.

Re: Is there anybody from Zend team ?

umpirsky
My vote for layout by default!

Regards,
Saša Stamenković

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:16 AM, aoohralex <[hidden email]> wrote:

Matthew:
ok - I needn't register to download ZF, but I didn't see these links at the
bottom of page and I thought that I must register to download ZF.

You have given me link:
very often we can't modify httpd.conf so we must create .htaccess and based
on above site - .htaccess should look:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule !\.(js|ico|txt|gif|jpg|png|css)$ index.php

.htaccess should look (or something like that - $1 is very important):
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /name_project/public/$1 [QSA,L]

Unfortunately it doesn't work !! Because index.php is in
/name_project/public/index.php - ZF always generate files in folder
'name_project' and 'index.php' is always in folder 'public' so this
rewriterule is bad ! Somebody should correct this rewriterule.

About connect to database - I will see B-)

Carlton:
Not everybody needs layout ? :O Then somebody can delete 1 folder + 1 line
of code - I think this is faster than create folder + write 1 line. What is
more - in Symfony Framework or in ASP.NET - we have layout !! In ZF we don't
have layout - we must create layout.......

Matthew Weier:
In my country it is normal that users can't modify httpd.conf to add Virtual
hosts and we can only create .htaccess file so in tutorial somebody should
write about rewriterule.

About Symfony - yes it can generate many things but I don't use Symfony for
generate these things - I like write everything by myself :-P

joedevon:
I agree with You :D

swilhelm:
I wanted only write about some uncomfortable things in ZF - I would like to
download ZF and started writing - I hate configure anything.
I know little ZF, I used it little 1 year ago, but then somebody has given
me fully configured ZF. Now I would like to do everything by myself from
start to the end.

Re: Is there anybody from Zend team ?

Carlton Gibson-4
aoohralex,

On 16 Sep 2009, at 09:16, aoohralex wrote:

[...]

Carlton:
Not everybody needs layout ? :O Then somebody can delete 1 folder + 1 line
of code - I think this is faster than create folder + write 1 line. What is
more - in Symfony Framework or in ASP.NET - we have layout !! In ZF we don't
have layout - we must create layout.......

[...]

swilhelm:
I wanted only write about some uncomfortable things in ZF - I would like to
download ZF and started writing - I hate configure anything.
I know little ZF, I used it little 1 year ago, but then somebody has given
me fully configured ZF. Now I would like to do everything by myself from
start to the end.

There's a few related points here but they seem to me to come down to the trade off between a configuration-free set-up and flexibility. Zend Framework is good for so much more than just web pages, and in many of those contexts a layout isn't the best option. I have a whole host of command line scripts which leverage Zend Framework and not one of them uses Zend_Layout, although I guess they could... :-) In general, anytime you want to access your model without all the window dressing, AJAX requests (?), web services, scheduled tasks etc a layout probably won't be appropriate.

Since the actions of adding a deleting a folder and a line of code are basically symmetrical, I guess your thought that it's faster have a layout included by default is based on the idea that the _default_ usage of Zend Framework is in building standard web sites. Even if we grant that everybody who is building web sites using Zend Framework wants to use Zend_Layout, I guess I'd say my point was that the other use-cases are common enough to not want the framework to _dictate_ that the layout be part of the default project structure. (IF a set of genuine best practices, rather than just opinions, could be formed for "web projects" I would be happy to see Zend_Tool have a create webProject command, but that's a big IF.)

Your response to swilhelm seems to hit the crux of the matter: you hate to configure anything yet you want to do everything yourself from start to finish -- well, which is it?

One of the big selling points of Zend Framework is that it doesn't force you into any particular way of doing things, i.e. that it is flexible. Where there are genuine best practices it offers sensible defaults but because it targets those who want such flexibility it _should not_ go further than that. As lessens are learnt over time, the amount of configuration required to perform standard tasks in Zend Framework is decreasing; this is a good thing but, given the projects goals, there are always going to be other frameworks out there that are able to do their one particular thing more easily. That's okay: Zend Framework need not be all things to all people -- not everyone need pay the cost in terms of configuration that Zend Framework's flexibility requires. (i.e. use the tool that is best suited to the job you have to do.)

Regards,
Carlton

Re: Is there anybody from Zend team ?

aoohralex
Carlton layout should be by default with content:
     <?php echo $this->layout()->content ?>
and then everybody will be happy.

Based on Yours instructions how to connect to database:
http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/zend.db.html#zend.db.adapter.connecting.factory-config

I have:
$config = new Zend_Config(
    array(
        'database' => array(
            'adapter' => 'Mysqli',
            'params'  => array(
                'host'     => '127.0.0.1',
                'dbname'   => 'test',
                'username' => 'webuser',
                'password' => 'secret',
            )
        )
    )
);

$db = Zend_Db::factory($config->database);

And what ? What should I do with this ? Where should I place it ? I don't know and I don't see anything about that in this tutorial. In Symfony Framework I have a good instruction:
http://www.symfony-project.org/jobeet/1_2/Propel/en/03
We need to tell symfony to use this database for the Jobeet project:

$ php symfony configure:database "mysql:host=localhost;dbname=jobeet" root mYsEcret

The configure:database task takes three arguments: the PDO DSN, the username, and the password to access the database. If you don't need a password to access your database on the development server, just omit the third argument.

    The configure:database task stores the database configuration into the config/databases.yml configuration file. Instead of using the task, you can edit this file by hand.

And in Symfony I have known that I must only write dsn, login and password in file config/databases.yml - easy and simply - very good instruction !!

In ZF I don't know - so maybe somebody should write about that in tutorial and tell me ? Because I don't know. This is my SECOND day fighting with configuration ZF.

Re: Is there anybody from Zend team ?

-- Joe Devon <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Tuesday, 15 September 2009, 08:43 PM -0700):

> > If you do not want to register, if you scroll down further on the page,
> > you'll find direct links.
>
> I bet if Zend did some clickstream analysis, you guys would be shocked
> how many people never see the links on the bottom of the page. I
> remember the first time I wanted to find out more about Zend
> Framework, I thought you had to register and even had the feeling that
> it might cost money. It's only because it was part of a project I was
> hired for that I eventually learned it.
>
> I thought it was only me, but as co-organizer of the PHP Meetup in
> L.A., more than one person told me it cost money to download.
>
> As an experiment, I just now tried to pretend I know nothing about
> Zend Framework and Googled it, went to the download page, and indeed
> it's confusing for newbies if they click "Full package".
>
> This might be affecting adoption rate more than you'd think. I'd
> suggest more prominent direct links at every stage including the
> registration page...see if the download numbers are affected.

I've argued back and forth over this decision with our marketing team.
For them, the leads they get from dowloaders of Zend Framework off of
zend.com are *very* qualified leads, and, as such, having the initial
link point to the zend.com CDN provides huge benefit to the company. My
argument is along your lines -- and, as somebody who has to answer the
question of, "why do I need to register to download?" constantly, you
can guess my inclination. But I also have to think about the health of
the company I work for.

That said, our adoption rate is phenomenal, and while moving the CDN
link further down the page may change it, I have to wonder how
noticeable that change would be.

On 16 Sep 2009, at 12:55, aoohralex wrote:

> Based on Yours instructions how to connect to database:
> http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/zend.db.html#zend.db.adapter.connecting.factory-config
>
> I have:
> $config = new Zend_Config(
>   array(
>       'database' => array(
>           'adapter' => 'Mysqli',
>           'params'  => array(
>               'host'     => '127.0.0.1',
>               'dbname'   => 'test',
>               'username' => 'webuser',
>               'password' => 'secret',
>           )
>       )
>   )
> );
>
> $db = Zend_Db::factory($config->database);
>

> And what ? What should I do with this ? Where should I place it ?

A standard strategy is to store your DB adapter in the registry
(Zend_Registry) thus making it available to your application. (Someone
will tell me that's outdated now, but it will get you started.)

> [... stuff about Symfony...]

> In ZF I don't know - so maybe somebody should write about that in
> tutorial
> and tell me ? Because I don't know.

Sorry your finding it difficult to get going. Zend Framework is
complicated (and many find it so when beginning -- I know I did -- and
see the other thread going on right now). The trouble is writing
software is itself complicated. Famously there's no silver bullet, and
Zend Framework certainly isn't it. Alas, you just have to take on the
learning curve and persevere.

Rob Allen has a good tutorial (and book) that's recently been updated:

http://akrabat.com/zend-framework-tutorial/

Padraic Brady has an online book that you can check out:

http://www.survivethedeepend.com

There really are MANY tutorials available. As ever, Google is your
friend. People on the mailing list are very good at answer specific
questions.

I hope that helps.

Regards,
Carlton

Re: Is there anybody from Zend team ?

-- aoohralex <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Wednesday, 16 September 2009, 01:16 AM -0700):

> You have given me link:
> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV/Configuring+Your+URL+Rewriter
> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV/Configuring+Your+URL+Rewriter
>
> very often we can't modify httpd.conf so we must create .htaccess and based
> on above site - .htaccess should look:
> RewriteEngine on
> RewriteBase /
> RewriteRule !\.(js|ico|txt|gif|jpg|png|css)$ index.php
>
> .htaccess should look (or something like that - $1 is very important):
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /name_project/public/$1 [QSA,L]
>
> Unfortunately it doesn't work !! Because index.php is in
> /name_project/public/index.php - ZF always generate files in folder
> 'name_project' and 'index.php' is always in folder 'public' so this
> rewriterule is bad ! Somebody should correct this rewriterule.

If you cannot modify your httpd.conf to change the directory, then you
should either (a) get a different hosting provider, or (b) learn a bit
more about our reasons for pointing to the public/ directory.

The reason we have index.php in the public directory and encourage using
that directory as the site's DocumentRoot is one of security. All
application, library, and configuration files are then *outside* the
DocumentRoot -- and thus can never be exposed directly to the web.

So, knowing that, you may need to install your project slightly
differently.

Additionally, why are you working on a hosted solution for development?
The Quick Start is written with the assumption that you are installing
and developing on your development machine -- over which you should have
*full* control. Use it that way, learn the framework -- and then as you
prepare to launch your site, start thinking about how your host is setup
and how you can modify your install to work well with it -- while still
retaining the guidelines we recommend.

> About connect to database - I will see B-)
>
> Carlton:
> Not everybody needs layout ? :O Then somebody can delete 1 folder + 1 line
> of code - I think this is faster than create folder + write 1 line. What is
> more - in Symfony Framework or in ASP.NET - we have layout !! In ZF we don't
> have layout - we must create layout.......

On the flip side, if you *do* need a layout, "somebody can add 1 folder
and 1 line of code." This is basically the same as the converse.

ZF offers the flexibility to make your own choices about what you
include. Also, as noted, we're already considering having layouts
enabled by default; however, we need the ability to remove items from
the project using the CLI tool before we start adding more default
items.

<snip>
> About Symfony - yes it can generate many things but I don't use Symfony for
> generate these things - I like write everything by myself :-P

You're being a bit contrarian here. In your first email, you're saying
the CLI tool should do more. Now you're saying you like to write
everything yourself. Which is it?

It's normal to contrast new things with those you know. However, please
be politic; attacking something new you're learning because it's not
like what you know is not a good way to learn. Keep your mind open, and
take your time. If there are things you feel could be better -- help
contribute to the project.

Re: Is there anybody from Zend team ?

Alexander Johannesen
On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 05:22, Carlton Gibson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You need to revisit the quick start. It's quite clear that you need to set
> up a .htaccess file.
> Not everybody needs a layout.

I use ZF and use neither, and quite successfully, too. It's not really
a framework as much as a collection of cool classes that may or may
not be glued together at your whim. Or a framework to which to marry.
Or not. It's quite flexible, really.

Regards,

Alex
--
 Project Wrangler, SOA, Information Alchemist, UX, RESTafarian, Topic Maps
--- http://shelter.nu/blog/ ----------------------------------------------
------------------ http://www.google.com/profiles/alexander.johannesen ---

Re: Is there anybody from Zend team ?

aoohralex
This post was updated on .
thx Carlton - this tutorial helped me:
http://akrabat.com/wp-content/uploads/getting-started-with-zend-framework-163.pdf
Now I have at least connection to database (I checked - I can show something from my database)

Matthew Weier I think 99% hostings in my country don't allow to modify httpd.conf and all files must be in public catalog in 99% hostings - and I think it is normal. I think everywhere is very small hostings where you can modify file httpd.conf because these hostings are more expensive.

If Zend Framework is framework it should have layout by default, otherwise the name of Zend Framework should be 'Zend'.

I want only generating project using console generated project almost ready to use / programming.
I think that application.ini should have by default this code:
;for layout:
resources.layout.layoutPath = APPLICATION_PATH "/layouts/scripts"
;for connect to database:
resources.db.adapter = PDO_MYSQL
resources.db.params.host = localhost
resources.db.params.username = root
resources.db.params.password = null
resources.db.params.dbname = project_name
resources.db.params.driver_options.1002 = "SET NAMES utf8"

And bootstrap should have:
protected function _initAutoload()
    {
        $moduleLoader = new Zend_Application_Module_Autoloader(array(
                        'namespace' => '',
                        'basePath' => APPLICATION_PATH));
                return $moduleLoader;
    }

If somebody doesn't want to use layout - he needn't, if somebody doesn't want to connect to database - he needn't but it should exists in generated project.

On 16 Sep 2009, at 15:54, aoohralex wrote:

thx Carlton - this tutorial helped me:
http://akrabat.com/wp-content/uploads/getting-started-with-zend-framework-163.pdf
Now I have at least connection to database (I checked - I can show something
from my database)

No problem. Glad to get you started. :-)

If somebody doesn't want to use layout - he needn't, if somebody doesn't
want to connect to database - he needn't but it should exists in generated
project. :-)

I don' t think we're going to agree here. :-)

Have a good day.

Regards,
Carlton

Re: Is there anybody from Zend team ?

aoohralex
So you think this is a mistake that these things are in Symfony Framework, ASP.NET Framework and many others frameworks ? :)

On 16 Sep 2009, at 16:00, aoohralex wrote:

So you think this is a mistake that these things are in Symfony Framework,
ASP.NET Framework and many others frameworks ? :)

No. What they do is up to them. My comments are directly entirely at Zend Framework and should not be taken to imply anything about any other framework.

What I don't want is for Zend Framework to start dictating which components I use and how and when. Again, one of the chief selling points of Zend Framework is that isn't "opinionated" in this sense.

I accept that Zend Framework may be slower off the mark for some tasks than other frameworks because it is not opinionated. (Although how much slower having done it once I really question.) The trade off is massive flexibility. I can use the same components all over the place (and do).

All I can suggest is that you use it for a good period and then make your own mind up.

Regards,
Carlton
123