Is the book "Zend Framework: The Official Programmer’s Reference Guide" based on ZF v1.9?

Is the book "Zend Framework: The Official Programmer’s Reference Guide" based on ZF v1.9?

swilhelm
Is the book, Zend Framework: The Official Programmer's Reference Guide, base on ZF version 1.9?

- Steve W.

Re: Is the book Is "Zend Framework: The Official Programmer’s Reference Guide" based on ZF v1.9?

Ralph Schindler-2
This is not an official response, as I would have to find confirmation.

If I had to guess, it was based on 1.8 strickly looking at the release
date, and what I know about publishing timelines.  Either way, this is a
good thing.  1.8 offered up Zend_Application, which IMO rounds out what
a proper project (MVC based application should look and act like). The
1.9 features, which while awesome, you can certainly catch up on by
reading the online documentation.

Either way, I'll ask around and find out exactly what its based on.

-ralph

swilhelm wrote:
> Is the
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1430219068/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance
> book , Zend Framework: The Official Programmer's Reference Guide" base on ZF
> 1.9?
>
> - Steve W.

Re: Is the book Is "Zend Framework: The Official Programmer’s Reference Guide" based on ZF v1.9?

Ralph Schindler-2
And... I was wrong, it IS actually based on *1.9.3*.

Hope that helps!
-ralph

Ralph Schindler wrote:

> This is not an official response, as I would have to find confirmation.
>
> If I had to guess, it was based on 1.8 strickly looking at the release
> date, and what I know about publishing timelines.  Either way, this is a
> good thing.  1.8 offered up Zend_Application, which IMO rounds out what
> a proper project (MVC based application should look and act like). The
> 1.9 features, which while awesome, you can certainly catch up on by
> reading the online documentation.
>
> Either way, I'll ask around and find out exactly what its based on.
>
> -ralph
>
> swilhelm wrote:
>> Is the
>> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1430219068/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance
>>
>> book , Zend Framework: The Official Programmer's Reference Guide" base
>> on ZF
>> 1.9?
>>
>> - Steve W.

Re: Is the book Is "Zend Framework: The Official Programmer’s Reference Guide" based on ZF v1.9?

David Mintz

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Ralph Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:
And... I was wrong, it IS actually based on *1.9.3*.

OMG!!! An up-to-date ZF book? How is this possible? Quick, buy it and read it at once before it's too late (-: !

--
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

The subtle source is clear and bright
The tributary streams flow through the darkness

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 10:47 AM, David Mintz <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Ralph Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:
And... I was wrong, it IS actually based on *1.9.3*.

OMG!!! An up-to-date ZF book? How is this possible? Quick, buy it and read it at once before it's too late (-: !

D'oh! Sorry I got over-excited. It isn't out yet.

--
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

The subtle source is clear and bright
The tributary streams flow through the darkness

Re: Is the book Is "Zend Framework: The Official Programmer’s Reference Guide" based on ZF v1.9?

Andreas Kraftl
Am Freitag, den 09.10.2009, 10:47 -0400 schrieb David Mintz:
> OMG!!! An up-to-date ZF book? How is this possible? Quick, buy it and
> read it at once before it's too late (-: !

I think, it is just the online manual as printout.
Any one knows, if I am right?

Greetings
Andreas
--
Kraftl EDV - Dienstleistungen
Linux, Linuxschulungen, Webprogrammierung
1230 Wien

Re: Is the book Is "Zend Framework: The Official Programmer’s Reference Guide" based on ZF v1.9?

-- swilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Thursday, 08 October 2009, 04:34 PM -0700):
> Is the
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1430219068/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance
> book , Zend Framework: The Official Programmer's Reference Guide" base on ZF
> 1.9?

Yes -- it uses the docbook sources from 1.9.3.

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]> wrote:
-- swilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Thursday, 08 October 2009, 04:34 PM -0700):
> Is the
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1430219068/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance
> book , Zend Framework: The Official Programmer's Reference Guide" base on ZF
> 1.9?

Yes -- it uses the docbook sources from 1.9.3.

Yours for just US$43.45 (plus shipping). What a deal.

--
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

The subtle source is clear and bright
The tributary streams flow through the darkness

Re: Is the book Is "Zend Framework: The Official Programmer’s Reference Guide" based on ZF v1.9?

mark.wright
Does this book have anything more than the Programmer's Reference
Guide (http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/)? I sure hope so or else
what's the point? And way too expensive.

Mark

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> -- swilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote
> (on Thursday, 08 October 2009, 04:34 PM -0700):
>> Is the
>> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1430219068/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance
>> book , Zend Framework: The Official Programmer's Reference Guide" base on ZF
>> 1.9?
>
> Yes -- it uses the docbook sources from 1.9.3.
>
> --
> Matthew Weier O'Phinney

Have fun or die trying - but try not to actually die.

Re: Is the book Is "Zend Framework: The Official Programmer’s Reference Guide" based on ZF v1.9?

Carlton Gibson-4

The question is probably, "Do you want a hard copy?". If yes, it's going to cost you a fair amount of money to print it out yourself, and it won't be bound, or have an index, or anything else.

Re: Is the book Is "Zend Framework: The Official Programmer’s Reference Guide" based on ZF v1.9?

mark.wright
It will also be outdated pretty quick.

Mark

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 7:40 PM, Mark Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:
It will also be outdated pretty quick.

Pardon my OT, but you know what title I would like to see, either as hard-copy and/or a collaborative web-based project:  The Zend Framework Cookbook. We already have a good reference manual and a plethora of articles and tutorials, but we don't have a collection of "recipes," relatively short lessons that concentrate on a particular problem and its solution(s). There have been a couple of really good books in this format, like the PHP Cookbook and the MySQL Cookbook. A ZF Cookbook would be a great addition to any serious cook's bookshelf.