Greetings

Troy Marker
Greetings all.
   My name is Troy and I am what you would call an end user of the Zend
Framework. I spend the lst weekend installing Apache on my computer to use
the framework. I am impressed with it and plan to start developing
applications using it. But as a new user, I do have some questions I am
hoping I can get answered.

First is in regards to the View class. Using information I found on the
internet i was able to imcorporate the smarty template engine into the
class. However, if I want to develope applications based on the framework,
I was thinking that using anything not part of the framework (Smarty)
would make my applications less portable.

I guess what I am asking is advice on using components that are not part
of the framework. I really see the potental of the framework, and am
looking forward to using it in my applications.

Any advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Troy

Re: Greetings

Jeunejean Pierre
Hi Troy,

I have been developping with Zend Framework (not all of it, but mainly
the Zend MVC) & Smarty previously.
Well to me your application won't be  less portable with  Smarty,  but
it will  even improve performance against  the default Zend Framework View
since Smarty template (the mix of php tags and html) is converted into
pure php cache, which improves performance.
For my current project, as used Zend Framework default MVC rendering
(View) for the back-end (the CMS part) and will use Smarty for the
front-end.

And I used Propel Object Relational Mapping (propel.tigris.org) instead
of Zend DB which was not stable (and seems yet still in heavy
devellopment) at the time I started the project.

One the main reason why I adopted the Zend framework, is that you can
use a part of it or all of it. That what make the success of other
framework like Spring in Java world.
- A good framework should be open as possible, you should be able to use
it part of it with your existing librairies or frameworks,
- and you should be able to use whatever component your like (ez
Component seems to have the same philosophy, Propel is another good
example).

I've been reading a lot about php frameworks (and CMS in my case) to
choose one before starting my current project,
and with a lot of them, you end up writing a lot of code that is more a
pseudo php, because they want you to code a certain way or even
sometimes some kind of scripting proprietary language for advanced
functionnalities of the framework, and sure, you have no choice but have
to use the all framework because framework components are not loose but
very coupled.

Hope it helps,

Pierre

--
sincerely yours,
mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Pierre Jeunejean

A D N E X U S
Interactive Media Agency

Rue Patenier, 38
B- 4000 Liege (bureau)

Wirtzfeld, 3A
B- 4760 Büllingen

GSM +32 (0)478 55 65 86
tel +32 (0)4 225 20 84
Skype user name: jeunejeanpierre
[hidden email]

BE 863.696.611

Re: Greetings

GavinZend
Hi Troy,

The Zend Framework focuses on specific goals, including "providing a
repository of high quality components that are actively supported."  In
general, if a component doesn't fit into the core of the framework, or
further a specific goal described below, then developers are encouraged
to integrate needed components from other sources, or create their own.
For example, the PEAR tree class provides a robust set of features, but
is not included or duplicated in the ZF.  In more than one case, changes
have been made to facilitate the use of ZF with external components.

Although not explicitly stated in our goals (
http://framework.zend.com/roadmap/goals/ ), I believe interoperability
between the ZF and popular external components remains an important
consideration in the design of the ZF.

I think the portability of an application depends more on the extent of
the application's reliance on non-standard PHP modules than on
integration with non-ZF components written in PHP.

Cheers,
Gavin