Quantcast

Getting started with Dojo integration

Markus Wolff
Hey there,

I'm trying to use the new Dojo integration for the first time, but so
far I've been unsuccessful.

I did everything according to the manual and also tried some tutorials,
but I'm getting nowhere, which makes me think my environment may not yet
be set up correctly.

I'm not using the Zend_Layout stuff, just normal view integration.
Actually, as the application is mostly a webservice, view integration is
generally turned off and I activate it explicitly for just one
controller, using preDispatch:

public function preDispatch()
{
  $view = $this->initView();
  $view->addHelperPath('Zend/Dojo/View/Helper/',
                       'Zend_Dojo_View_Helper');
  Zend_Dojo_View_Helper_Dojo::setUseDeclarative();
  Zend_Dojo::enableView($view);
}

In the view script itself, I added the seemingly relevant lines found in
the documentation:

<?php
echo $this->headTitle();
$this->dojo()->enable();
if ($this->dojo()->isEnabled()){
  $this->dojo()->setLocalPath('/js/dojo/dojo/dojo.js')
               ->requireModule('dijit.layout.BorderContainer')
               ->requireModule('dijit.layout.ContentPane')
               ->addStyleSheetModule('dijit.themes.tundra');
  echo $this->dojo();
}
echo $this->headScript();
?>

The body tag has its CSS class set to "tundra". Within the body I used
the BorderContainer example given in the manual (at
http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/zend.dojo.view.html, see example
13.10). I did not add any content or modify the example.

What happens is this: The page source contains everything I would
expect, but all that's being rendered is a blank page (in Firefox 3,
Opera and Konqueror). This is when using declarative markup.

When I switch the Dojo helper from declarative to programmatic, the divs
are rendered to the screen as if no extra CSS was applied (document flow
only, no layout). I would have expected some sort of Javascript being
inserted into the page to turn these ordinary divs into Dijits, but no
such thing can be found (the parseOnLoad config option did disappear,
though, as did the dojoType attributes within the div tags).

I tried this with the latest SVN checkout (rev. 11678).

As there hasn't yet been a huge outcry in the community about the Dojo
integration being completely disfunctional, I can draw only two possible
conclusions: 1. nobody is using it at all :-P, 2. I'm missing something
elementary here ;-)

Any hints are highly appreciated ;-)

Regards,
  Markus

Re: Getting started with Dojo integration

Markus Wolff
Hello,

this mail serves just two purposes:
1. it's a test if I can post to the list again (if so,
   many thanks to Wil Sinclair for his assistance!)
2. to bump this topic again, as my original mail took
   a few days to reach the list.

So if you haven't read it yet, here it is again :-D

Regards,
Markus

Markus Wolff wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> I'm trying to use the new Dojo integration for the first time, but so
> far I've been unsuccessful.
>
> I did everything according to the manual and also tried some tutorials,
> but I'm getting nowhere, which makes me think my environment may not yet
> be set up correctly.
>
> I'm not using the Zend_Layout stuff, just normal view integration.
> Actually, as the application is mostly a webservice, view integration is
> generally turned off and I activate it explicitly for just one
> controller, using preDispatch:
>
> public function preDispatch()
> {
>   $view = $this->initView();
>   $view->addHelperPath('Zend/Dojo/View/Helper/',
>                        'Zend_Dojo_View_Helper');
>   Zend_Dojo_View_Helper_Dojo::setUseDeclarative();
>   Zend_Dojo::enableView($view);
> }
>
> In the view script itself, I added the seemingly relevant lines found in
> the documentation:
>
> <?php
> echo $this->headTitle();
> $this->dojo()->enable();
> if ($this->dojo()->isEnabled()){
>   $this->dojo()->setLocalPath('/js/dojo/dojo/dojo.js')
>                ->requireModule('dijit.layout.BorderContainer')
>                ->requireModule('dijit.layout.ContentPane')
>                ->addStyleSheetModule('dijit.themes.tundra');
>   echo $this->dojo();
> }
> echo $this->headScript();
> ?>
>
> The body tag has its CSS class set to "tundra". Within the body I used
> the BorderContainer example given in the manual (at
> http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/zend.dojo.view.html, see example
> 13.10). I did not add any content or modify the example.
>
> What happens is this: The page source contains everything I would
> expect, but all that's being rendered is a blank page (in Firefox 3,
> Opera and Konqueror). This is when using declarative markup.
>
> When I switch the Dojo helper from declarative to programmatic, the divs
> are rendered to the screen as if no extra CSS was applied (document flow
> only, no layout). I would have expected some sort of Javascript being
> inserted into the page to turn these ordinary divs into Dijits, but no
> such thing can be found (the parseOnLoad config option did disappear,
> though, as did the dojoType attributes within the div tags).
>
> I tried this with the latest SVN checkout (rev. 11678).
>
> As there hasn't yet been a huge outcry in the community about the Dojo
> integration being completely disfunctional, I can draw only two possible
> conclusions: 1. nobody is using it at all :-P, 2. I'm missing something
> elementary here ;-)
>
> Any hints are highly appreciated ;-)
>
> Regards,
>   Markus

Re: Getting started with Dojo integration

-- Markus Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Tuesday, 07 October 2008, 11:48 AM +0200):
> I'm trying to use the new Dojo integration for the first time, but so
> far I've been unsuccessful.
>
> I did everything according to the manual and also tried some tutorials,
> but I'm getting nowhere, which makes me think my environment may not yet
> be set up correctly.
>
> I'm not using the Zend_Layout stuff, just normal view integration.

Okay, you're going to start running into issues then.

To make everything work, the dojo() view helper aggregates information
from your view scripts, and is intended to be echoed *AFTER* all views
have run -- i.e., in your layout script. The reason for this is that we
need to be able to generate the various dojo.require statements -- and
these can't be known until all of the various view helpers have
rendered.

So, if you need to use it standalone, capture all content that utilizes
the dojo view helpers, and then echo it back out following the call to
echo the dojo() view helper itself.

As an example:

    $contents = $this->view->render('viewscript.phtml');
    echo $this->view->dojo() . $contents;

Better yet, render a separate view script into which you inject your
content (poor man's layout):

    $content = $this->view->render('viewscript.phtml');
    $this->view->content = $content;
    echo $this->view->render('layout.phtml');

Then, in that second view script, do the call to echo $this->dojo().

Software Architect       | [hidden email]
Zend Framework           | http://framework.zend.com/

Matthew Weier O'Phinney schrieb:

> -- Markus Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote
> (on Tuesday, 07 October 2008, 11:48 AM +0200):
>> I'm trying to use the new Dojo integration for the first time, but so
>> far I've been unsuccessful.
>>
>> I did everything according to the manual and also tried some tutorials,
>> but I'm getting nowhere, which makes me think my environment may not yet
>> be set up correctly.
>>
>> I'm not using the Zend_Layout stuff, just normal view integration.
>
> Okay, you're going to start running into issues then.

Hi Matthew,

thanks for your suggestions - seems I already have ;-)

[...]

> So, if you need to use it standalone, capture all content that utilizes
> the dojo view helpers, and then echo it back out following the call to
> echo the dojo() view helper itself.
>
> As an example:
>
>     $contents = $this->view->render('viewscript.phtml');
>     echo $this->view->dojo() . $contents;
>
> Better yet, render a separate view script into which you inject your
> content (poor man's layout):
>
>     $content = $this->view->render('viewscript.phtml');
>     $this->view->content = $content;
>     echo $this->view->render('layout.phtml');
>
> Then, in that second view script, do the call to echo $this->dojo().

Mh, okay maybe I should have mentioned that I already tried to use
Zend_Layout, just to see if it would work then, but it made no difference.

Just to be safe, I just tried both of your suggestions, though: First I
tried the nested view scripts, then I tried one view script with output
buffering of the Dijits before the call to $this->dojo(). Neither of the
approaches yielded any different result. It's always the exact same
behaviour :-(

CU
 Markus

Markus Wolff schrieb:

>> So, if you need to use it standalone, capture all content that utilizes
>> the dojo view helpers, and then echo it back out following the call to
>> echo the dojo() view helper itself.
>>
>> As an example:
>>
>>     $contents = $this->view->render('viewscript.phtml');
>>     echo $this->view->dojo() . $contents;
>>
>> Better yet, render a separate view script into which you inject your
>> content (poor man's layout):
>>
>>     $content = $this->view->render('viewscript.phtml');
>>     $this->view->content = $content;
>>     echo $this->view->render('layout.phtml');
>>
>> Then, in that second view script, do the call to echo $this->dojo().
>
> Mh, okay maybe I should have mentioned that I already tried to use
> Zend_Layout, just to see if it would work then, but it made no difference.
[...]

...and speaking of "maybe I should have mentioned", I also tried a
simpler example: Instead of the borderContainer plus several nested
contentPanes, I tried to simply display a DateTextBox, like this:

$this->dojo()->requireModule('dijit.form.DateTextBox');
echo $this->dateTextBox(
    'foo',
    '2008-07-11',
    array('required' => true)
);

And that works quite perfectly! So what's really giving me a headache
are those BorderContainer and ContentPane Dijits...

CU
 Markus

Re: Getting started with Dojo integration

-- Jim Mullen <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Wednesday, 08 October 2008, 06:57 PM -0400):
> I was having problems with the BorderContainer too.  Try adding a style to set
> height:100% on the borderContainer.  I think that helped me.

Additionally, I've found that doctype declarations often cause
BorderContainer to barf; simply refraining from adding the doctype to
the top of my script will usually make it work.

> Markus Wolff wrote:
>
>     Markus Wolff schrieb:
>

>             So, if you need to use it standalone, capture all content that utilizes
>             the dojo view helpers, and then echo it back out following the call to
>             echo the dojo() view helper itself.
>
>             As an example:
>
>                 $contents = $this->view->render('viewscript.phtml');
>                 echo $this->view->dojo() . $contents;
>
>             Better yet, render a separate view script into which you inject your
>             content (poor man's layout):
>
>                 $content = $this->view->render('viewscript.phtml');
>                 $this->view->content = $content;
>                 echo $this->view->render('layout.phtml');
>
>             Then, in that second view script, do the call to echo $this->dojo().
>

>         Mh, okay maybe I should have mentioned that I already tried to use
>         Zend_Layout, just to see if it would work then, but it made no difference.
>

>     [...]
>
>     ...and speaking of "maybe I should have mentioned", I also tried a
>     simpler example: Instead of the borderContainer plus several nested
>     contentPanes, I tried to simply display a DateTextBox, like this:
>
>     $this->dojo()->requireModule('dijit.form.DateTextBox');
>     echo $this->dateTextBox(
>         'foo',
>         '2008-07-11',
>         array('required' => true)
>     );
>
>     And that works quite perfectly! So what's really giving me a headache
>     are those BorderContainer and ContentPane Dijits...
>
>     CU
>      Markus

Software Architect       | [hidden email]
Zend Framework           | http://framework.zend.com/

Re: Getting started with Dojo integration

-- Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Thursday, 09 October 2008, 09:43 AM -0400):
> -- Jim Mullen <[hidden email]> wrote
> (on Wednesday, 08 October 2008, 06:57 PM -0400):
> > I was having problems with the BorderContainer too.  Try adding a style to set
> > height:100% on the borderContainer.  I think that helped me.
>
> Additionally, I've found that doctype declarations often cause
> BorderContainer to barf; simply refraining from adding the doctype to
> the top of my script will usually make it work.

Peter Higgins did some ground work for me, and confirmed what I was
seeing. The trick is to set an explicit height and width on *both* the
borderContainer *and* its parent container; this can be done either as
an explicit style attribute or via CSS. Once you do that, it will work
fine both with and without a doctype set.

> > Markus Wolff wrote:
> >
> >     Markus Wolff schrieb:
> >

> >             So, if you need to use it standalone, capture all content that utilizes
> >             the dojo view helpers, and then echo it back out following the call to
> >             echo the dojo() view helper itself.
> >
> >             As an example:
> >
> >                 $contents = $this->view->render('viewscript.phtml');
> >                 echo $this->view->dojo() . $contents;
> >
> >             Better yet, render a separate view script into which you inject your
> >             content (poor man's layout):
> >
> >                 $content = $this->view->render('viewscript.phtml');
> >                 $this->view->content = $content;
> >                 echo $this->view->render('layout.phtml');
> >
> >             Then, in that second view script, do the call to echo $this->dojo().
> >

> >         Mh, okay maybe I should have mentioned that I already tried to use
> >         Zend_Layout, just to see if it would work then, but it made no difference.
> >

> >     [...]
> >
> >     ...and speaking of "maybe I should have mentioned", I also tried a
> >     simpler example: Instead of the borderContainer plus several nested
> >     contentPanes, I tried to simply display a DateTextBox, like this:
> >
> >     $this->dojo()->requireModule('dijit.form.DateTextBox');
> >     echo $this->dateTextBox(
> >         'foo',
> >         '2008-07-11',
> >         array('required' => true)
> >     );
> >
> >     And that works quite perfectly! So what's really giving me a headache
> >     are those BorderContainer and ContentPane Dijits...
> >
> >     CU
> >      Markus
> >

> --
> Matthew Weier O'Phinney
> Software Architect       | [hidden email]
> Zend Framework           | http://framework.zend.com/

Software Architect       | [hidden email]
Zend Framework           | http://framework.zend.com/

Re: Getting started with Dojo integration

Markus Wolff
Matthew Weier O'Phinney schrieb:

> -- Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]> wrote
> (on Thursday, 09 October 2008, 09:43 AM -0400):
>> -- Jim Mullen <[hidden email]> wrote
>> (on Wednesday, 08 October 2008, 06:57 PM -0400):
>>> I was having problems with the BorderContainer too.  Try adding a style to set
>>> height:100% on the borderContainer.  I think that helped me.
>> Additionally, I've found that doctype declarations often cause
>> BorderContainer to barf; simply refraining from adding the doctype to
>> the top of my script will usually make it work.
>
> Peter Higgins did some ground work for me, and confirmed what I was
> seeing. The trick is to set an explicit height and width on *both* the
> borderContainer *and* its parent container; this can be done either as
> an explicit style attribute or via CSS. Once you do that, it will work
> fine both with and without a doctype set.

Hey Matthew and Jim,

thanks a lot for the hints - thanks to you I finally got it working.
What did the trick for me was to simply give the BorderContainer a
height and width of 100%, *and* to get rid of the DocType declaration.

If either a DocType is present, or the container does not have a width
and height, all you get is a blank screen. Maybe this should be
explicitly mentioned in the documentation - in the Zend_View docs
there's no mentioning of the DocType, and only in the short code
fragment showing the BorderContainer standalone, there are width and
height attributes.

In the combined example showing the BorderContainer together with some
ContentPanes, no CSS styles are defined for the BorderContainer. If this
is mandatory, it should be mentioned.

The Dojo documentation itself is not much more helpful either: The
BorderContainer example does contain a DocType, and while CSS rules are
applied to the Html and Body tags (which, by the way, has proven to be
irrelevant in my case), the BorderContainer once again has no width nor
height. There's also no mention of these attributes being mandatory.

In other words: None of the examples I've seen online are fully
functional :-(

Anyway, thanks again folks - I'm pretty sure I would have fiddled around
with this for weeks if it weren't for you ;-)

CU
 Markus

Re: Getting started with Dojo integration

Peter Higgins
Inline ...

Markus Wolff wrote:

> Matthew Weier O'Phinney schrieb:
>
>> -- Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]> wrote
>> (on Thursday, 09 October 2008, 09:43 AM -0400):
>>
>>> -- Jim Mullen <[hidden email]> wrote
>>> (on Wednesday, 08 October 2008, 06:57 PM -0400):

>>> Additionally, I've found that doctype declarations often cause
>>> BorderContainer to barf; simply refraining from adding the doctype to
>>> the top of my script will usually make it work.
>>>
>> Peter Higgins did some ground work for me, and confirmed what I was
>> seeing. The trick is to set an explicit height and width on *both* the
>> borderContainer *and* its parent container; this can be done either as
>> an explicit style attribute or via CSS. Once you do that, it will work
>> fine both with and without a doctype set.
>>

> Hey Matthew and Jim,
>
> thanks a lot for the hints - thanks to you I finally got it working.
> What did the trick for me was to simply give the BorderContainer a
> height and width of 100%, *and* to get rid of the DocType declaration.

... You shouldn't need to get rid of the doctype at all. BorderContainer
only needs an explicit size set on the parent node when you intend to
use percentage heights, or fill up the full available window space. It
is just a css-ism, and the BorderContainer works mostly by using
fluid-layout-techniques and css (with some exceptions).

> If either a DocType is present, or the container does not have a width
> and height, all you get is a blank screen. Maybe this should be
> explicitly mentioned in the documentation - in the Zend_View docs
> there's no mentioning of the DocType, and only in the short code
> fragment showing the BorderContainer standalone, there are width and
> height attributes.
>
> In the combined example showing the BorderContainer together with some
> ContentPanes, no CSS styles are defined for the BorderContainer. If this
> is mandatory, it should be mentioned.

For what it's worth, you can size the borderContainer by ID either in css:

#layout { height:100%; width:100%; }  or as a style="height:100%" (width
on div's is assumed 100% and stretches to fill available space. height
here is the issue.

The missing piece here is setting the style on the body (and having the
browser recognize it):

body, html { width:100%; height:100%; margin:0; padding:0; }

making the first child of body be 100% height will fill the viewport.
It's "just the way" percentage sizes work in the browser.
> The Dojo documentation itself is not much more helpful either: The
> BorderContainer example does contain a DocType, and while CSS rules are
> applied to the Html and Body tags (which, by the way, has proven to be
> irrelevant in my case), the BorderContainer once again has no width nor
> height. There's also no mention of these attributes being mandatory.

I've updated the BorderContainer documentation to mention needing to
explicitly set a size on the body element in order for 100% height to
work in all browsers and doctypes, but this only applies to the "full
viewport" paradigm. If you are just using a BorderContainer as a sized
container, the parent size is irrelevant. That was the only element
missing from the example Matthew sent to me when I noticed this thread.
> In other words: None of the examples I've seen online are fully
> functional :-(

http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/dojotoolkit/dijit/tests/layout/test_BorderContainer_full.html
has comments inline regard this quirk ..

I just posted a blog utilizing BorderContainer (but unfortunately didn't
give it a doctype, but I assure you it will work!) :
http://www.sitepen.com/blog/2008/10/06/implementing-a-web-application-preloading-overlay/

Regards,
Peter Higgins

Peter E Higgins schrieb:
> ... You shouldn't need to get rid of the doctype at all. BorderContainer
> only needs an explicit size set on the parent node when you intend to
> use percentage heights, or fill up the full available window space. It
> is just a css-ism, and the BorderContainer works mostly by using
> fluid-layout-techniques and css (with some exceptions).

Hmm strange, whatever combination of styles I try, nothing works when I
have the doctype set (HTML 4.01 Transitional). All I get is a blank screen.

For what it's worth, I think the blank screen is what put me off most. I
probably could have guessed that all my problems were caused by a tiny
CSS issue if I had only seen at least anything on the screen, just with
wrong dimensions and/or positioning. A blank screen doesn't give you
many hints and no such phenomenon was mentioned anywhere.

> I've updated the BorderContainer documentation to mention needing to
> explicitly set a size on the body element in order for 100% height to
> work in all browsers and doctypes, but this only applies to the "full
> viewport" paradigm. If you are just using a BorderContainer as a sized
> container, the parent size is irrelevant. That was the only element
> missing from the example Matthew sent to me when I noticed this thread.

Wow, that was quick - thanks ;-)

Although I am still wondering why it works for me even without setting
the styles on the body tag - for me, it's perfectly fine if I put them
on the BorderContainer only. That and having no DocType. Then, all is well.

> I just posted a blog utilizing BorderContainer (but unfortunately didn't
> give it a doctype, but I assure you it will work!) :
> http://www.sitepen.com/blog/2008/10/06/implementing-a-web-application-preloading-overlay/

Oooh shiny, now I have something to read for the weekend ;-)

Thanks again!

CU
 Markus