Getting ready for a release candidate: TASKS!

12

Getting ready for a release candidate: TASKS!

Hey, all!

We're getting ready for a release candidate, and I'm sure you all want
to help get there, right? RIGHT?!?!?!

I've created stories for everything that needs to happen for RC1, a few
tasks for RC2, and a few I'm simply targetting at "2.0.0". These are in
our online kanban at AgileZen.com. If you need something to do, that's
the place to look.

You can see some of this at http://framework.zend.com/zf2/board -- but
this doesn't reproduce the experience well, and you can't really filter
on it. We have a link on that page, however, to request an invite from
http://framework.zend.com/zf2/board/invite if you want to view the board
directly.

If you don't want to sign up for AgileZen, visit
http://agilezen.com/project/33552/board and use these credentials:

 * Username: zfcommunity
 * Password: zfcommunity

To summarize the tasks for the RC:

 * CS cleanup
    * Removal of "@" error suppressions, replaced with
      Zend\Stlib\ErrorHandler usage
    * @uses annotations removal
    * @namespace annotation removal
    * anything else that makes us PSR-1/2 compliant
    * For the bold: setting up PHP CodeSniffer and PSR-1/2 sniffs, and
      hooking them into Travis
 * New features/feature improvements
    * Console (Artur is working feverishly on this)
    * FirePHP log writer (Walter Tamboer is working on this)
    * PHP 5.4 fixes (mainly in Zend\Filter\File)
    * Refactoring overlap of Crypt, Math, and Filter\Encrypt (Enrico is
      working on this)
 * Removal of deprecated/obsolete features
    * Zend\Registry (requires update to Zend\Validator\AbstractValidator)
    * Zend\Loader\PluginLoader/PrefixPathLoader (and related interfaces)
      (requires updates to a numer of components)
    * Zend\Dojo
    * Zend\Wildfire
    * Zend\DocBook (unnecessary, now that we've moved to rst)
    * Zend\Test
 * Moving Zend\Service components into separate repos (Ralph is almost
   complete with this)
 * Moving unrefactored components into separate repos (Ralph will likely
   tackle this)
    * Zend\Amf
    * Zend\Pdf
    * Zend\Queue
    * Zend\Search
 * Documentation
    * Fork Akrabat's tutorial app, and expand it to include more
      features, such as caching, navigation, pagination, i18n/L10n, etc.
    * Write a comprehensive tutorial using said application
    * Update examples in the documentation to reference this application
    * Write complete documentation for new/refactored components (see
      the board for a full list)

So, jump in, and start helping! As always, check to make sure you're not
duplicating effort -- send an email to the list, or pop into #zftalk.2
on Freenode IRC and ask. And keep those pull requests flowing!

Re: Getting ready for a release candidate: TASKS!

Just a quick status note...

-- Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Thursday, 12 July 2012, 02:26 PM -0500):
>  * CS cleanup
>     * Removal of "@" error suppressions, replaced with
>       Zend\Stlib\ErrorHandler usage
>     * @uses annotations removal
>     * @namespace annotation removal

All of the above are complete!

>     * anything else that makes us PSR-1/2 compliant
>     * For the bold: setting up PHP CodeSniffer and PSR-1/2 sniffs, and
>       hooking them into Travis
>  * New features/feature improvements
>     * Console (Artur is working feverishly on this)
>     * FirePHP log writer (Walter Tamboer is working on this)
>     * PHP 5.4 fixes (mainly in Zend\Filter\File)
>     * Refactoring overlap of Crypt, Math, and Filter\Encrypt (Enrico is
>       working on this)
>  * Removal of deprecated/obsolete features
>     * Zend\Registry (requires update to Zend\Validator\AbstractValidator)
>     * Zend\Loader\PluginLoader/PrefixPathLoader (and related interfaces)
>       (requires updates to a numer of components)
>     * Zend\Dojo
>     * Zend\Wildfire
>     * Zend\DocBook (unnecessary, now that we've moved to rst)
>     * Zend\Test

Other than the PluginLoader/PrefixPathLoader, the above removals are all
complete or have outstanding pull requests!

>  * Moving Zend\Service components into separate repos (Ralph is almost
>    complete with this)
>  * Moving unrefactored components into separate repos (Ralph will likely
>    tackle this)
>     * Zend\Amf
>     * Zend\Pdf
>     * Zend\Queue
>     * Zend\Search
>  * Documentation
>     * Fork Akrabat's tutorial app, and expand it to include more
>       features, such as caching, navigation, pagination, i18n/L10n, etc.
>     * Write a comprehensive tutorial using said application
>     * Update examples in the documentation to reference this application
>     * Write complete documentation for new/refactored components (see
>       the board for a full list)
>
> So, jump in, and start helping! As always, check to make sure you're not
> duplicating effort -- send an email to the list, or pop into #zftalk.2
> on Freenode IRC and ask. And keep those pull requests flowing!

Re: Getting ready for a release candidate: TASKS!

Marco Pivetta
Guess it is also time to start blogging about ZF2 :)

About automating CS fixes, as Maks3w has already said, it is maybe a little bit too much work for it... They can be run manually once in a while for now, no?

Marco Pivetta

http://twitter.com/Ocramius

http://marco-pivetta.com

On 13 July 2012 00:40, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just a quick status note...

-- Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Thursday, 12 July 2012, 02:26 PM -0500):
>  * CS cleanup
>     * Removal of "@" error suppressions, replaced with
>       Zend\Stlib\ErrorHandler usage
>     * @uses annotations removal
>     * @namespace annotation removal

All of the above are complete!

>     * anything else that makes us PSR-1/2 compliant
>     * For the bold: setting up PHP CodeSniffer and PSR-1/2 sniffs, and
>       hooking them into Travis
>  * New features/feature improvements
>     * Console (Artur is working feverishly on this)
>     * FirePHP log writer (Walter Tamboer is working on this)
>     * PHP 5.4 fixes (mainly in Zend\Filter\File)
>     * Refactoring overlap of Crypt, Math, and Filter\Encrypt (Enrico is
>       working on this)
>  * Removal of deprecated/obsolete features
>     * Zend\Registry (requires update to Zend\Validator\AbstractValidator)
>     * Zend\Loader\PluginLoader/PrefixPathLoader (and related interfaces)
>       (requires updates to a numer of components)
>     * Zend\Dojo
>     * Zend\Wildfire
>     * Zend\DocBook (unnecessary, now that we've moved to rst)
>     * Zend\Test

Other than the PluginLoader/PrefixPathLoader, the above removals are all
complete or have outstanding pull requests!

>  * Moving Zend\Service components into separate repos (Ralph is almost
>    complete with this)
>  * Moving unrefactored components into separate repos (Ralph will likely
>    tackle this)
>     * Zend\Amf
>     * Zend\Pdf
>     * Zend\Queue
>     * Zend\Search
>  * Documentation
>     * Fork Akrabat's tutorial app, and expand it to include more
>       features, such as caching, navigation, pagination, i18n/L10n, etc.
>     * Write a comprehensive tutorial using said application
>     * Update examples in the documentation to reference this application
>     * Write complete documentation for new/refactored components (see
>       the board for a full list)
>
> So, jump in, and start helping! As always, check to make sure you're not
> duplicating effort -- send an email to the list, or pop into #zftalk.2
> on Freenode IRC and ask. And keep those pull requests flowing!

Re: Getting ready for a release candidate: TASKS!

Marc Bennewitz (private)
Hi Matthew,

Nice to hear to to ready for the first RC :)

One or two questions I have:
(Sorry if I a little bit late for it)

1. Because of CamalCase naming convention should Zend\Stdlib not be
Zend\StdLib ?

2. I did some work how to handle different / non single byte character
sets and created an RFC for it (RFC - StringUtils)
I didn't had so much time to finish it earlier so I hope it's not to
late now.

Greetings
Marc

On 13.07.2012 00:40, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:

> Just a quick status note...
>
> -- Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]> wrote
> (on Thursday, 12 July 2012, 02:26 PM -0500):
>>  * CS cleanup
>>     * Removal of "@" error suppressions, replaced with
>>       Zend\Stlib\ErrorHandler usage
>>     * @uses annotations removal
>>     * @namespace annotation removal
> All of the above are complete!
>
>>     * anything else that makes us PSR-1/2 compliant
>>     * For the bold: setting up PHP CodeSniffer and PSR-1/2 sniffs, and
>>       hooking them into Travis
>>  * New features/feature improvements
>>     * Console (Artur is working feverishly on this)
>>     * FirePHP log writer (Walter Tamboer is working on this)
>>     * PHP 5.4 fixes (mainly in Zend\Filter\File)
>>     * Refactoring overlap of Crypt, Math, and Filter\Encrypt (Enrico is
>>       working on this)
>>  * Removal of deprecated/obsolete features
>>     * Zend\Registry (requires update to Zend\Validator\AbstractValidator)
>>     * Zend\Loader\PluginLoader/PrefixPathLoader (and related interfaces)
>>       (requires updates to a numer of components)
>>     * Zend\Dojo
>>     * Zend\Wildfire
>>     * Zend\DocBook (unnecessary, now that we've moved to rst)
>>     * Zend\Test
> Other than the PluginLoader/PrefixPathLoader, the above removals are all
> complete or have outstanding pull requests!
>
>>  * Moving Zend\Service components into separate repos (Ralph is almost
>>    complete with this)
>>  * Moving unrefactored components into separate repos (Ralph will likely
>>    tackle this)
>>     * Zend\Amf
>>     * Zend\Pdf
>>     * Zend\Queue
>>     * Zend\Search
>>  * Documentation
>>     * Fork Akrabat's tutorial app, and expand it to include more
>>       features, such as caching, navigation, pagination, i18n/L10n, etc.
>>     * Write a comprehensive tutorial using said application
>>     * Update examples in the documentation to reference this application
>>     * Write complete documentation for new/refactored components (see
>>       the board for a full list)
>>
>> So, jump in, and start helping! As always, check to make sure you're not
>> duplicating effort -- send an email to the list, or pop into #zftalk.2
>> on Freenode IRC and ask. And keep those pull requests flowing!

Re: Getting ready for a release candidate: TASKS!

Matus Zeman
What about Zend\Paginator component? It hasn't been re-factored (completely).

Matus

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Marc Bennewitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>    tackle this)
>>     * Zend\Amf
>>     * Zend\Pdf
>>     * Zend\Queue
>>     * Zend\Search
>>  * Documentation
>>     * Fork Akrabat's tutorial app, and expand it to include more
>>       features, such as caching, navigation, pagination, i18n/L10n, etc.
>>     * Write a comprehensive tutorial using said application
>>     * Update examples in the documentation to reference this application
>>     * Write complete documentation for new/refactored components (see
>>       the board for a full list)
>>
>> So, jump in, and start helping! As always, check to make sure you're not
>> duplicating effort -- send an email to the list, or pop into #zftalk.2
>> on Freenode IRC and ask. And keep those pull requests flowing!

Re: Getting ready for a release candidate: TASKS!

-- Marc Bennewitz <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Friday, 13 July 2012, 09:19 AM +0200):
> Nice to hear to to ready for the first RC :)
>
> One or two questions I have:
> (Sorry if I a little bit late for it)
>
> 1. Because of CamalCase naming convention should Zend\Stdlib not be
> Zend\StdLib ?

No. "stdlib" is often seen in other languages and libraries.
Additionally, changing it at this time would be a huge waste of time for
really no benefit, and impact not just our own source, but anybody using
the project.

> 2. I did some work how to handle different / non single byte character
> sets and created an RFC for it (RFC - StringUtils)
> I didn't had so much time to finish it earlier so I hope it's not to
> late now.

It's a bit late for 2.0.0 stable, but we can add it for 2.1.

> On 13.07.2012 00:40, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> > Just a quick status note...
> >
> > -- Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]> wrote
> > (on Thursday, 12 July 2012, 02:26 PM -0500):
> >>  * CS cleanup
> >>     * Removal of "@" error suppressions, replaced with
> >>       Zend\Stlib\ErrorHandler usage
> >>     * @uses annotations removal
> >>     * @namespace annotation removal
> > All of the above are complete!
> >
> >>     * anything else that makes us PSR-1/2 compliant
> >>     * For the bold: setting up PHP CodeSniffer and PSR-1/2 sniffs, and
> >>       hooking them into Travis
> >>  * New features/feature improvements
> >>     * Console (Artur is working feverishly on this)
> >>     * FirePHP log writer (Walter Tamboer is working on this)
> >>     * PHP 5.4 fixes (mainly in Zend\Filter\File)
> >>     * Refactoring overlap of Crypt, Math, and Filter\Encrypt (Enrico is
> >>       working on this)
> >>  * Removal of deprecated/obsolete features
> >>     * Zend\Registry (requires update to Zend\Validator\AbstractValidator)
> >>     * Zend\Loader\PluginLoader/PrefixPathLoader (and related interfaces)
> >>       (requires updates to a numer of components)
> >>     * Zend\Dojo
> >>     * Zend\Wildfire
> >>     * Zend\DocBook (unnecessary, now that we've moved to rst)
> >>     * Zend\Test
> > Other than the PluginLoader/PrefixPathLoader, the above removals are all
> > complete or have outstanding pull requests!
> >
> >>  * Moving Zend\Service components into separate repos (Ralph is almost
> >>    complete with this)
> >>  * Moving unrefactored components into separate repos (Ralph will likely
> >>    tackle this)
> >>     * Zend\Amf
> >>     * Zend\Pdf
> >>     * Zend\Queue
> >>     * Zend\Search
> >>  * Documentation
> >>     * Fork Akrabat's tutorial app, and expand it to include more
> >>       features, such as caching, navigation, pagination, i18n/L10n, etc.
> >>     * Write a comprehensive tutorial using said application
> >>     * Update examples in the documentation to reference this application
> >>     * Write complete documentation for new/refactored components (see
> >>       the board for a full list)
> >>
> >> So, jump in, and start helping! As always, check to make sure you're not
> >> duplicating effort -- send an email to the list, or pop into #zftalk.2
> >> on Freenode IRC and ask. And keep those pull requests flowing!

Re: Getting ready for a release candidate: TASKS!

-- Matus Zeman <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Friday, 13 July 2012, 11:37 AM +0200):
> What about Zend\Paginator component? It hasn't been re-factored (completely).

We should likely get the DbSelect and DbTableSelect adapters refactored
to follow ZF2's Zend\Db -- any takers? If not, we'll need to remove them
prior to RC1.

> [...]
>     >>     * Zend\Pdf
>     >>     * Zend\Queue
>     >>     * Zend\Search
>     >>  * Documentation
>     >>     * Fork Akrabat's tutorial app, and expand it to include more
>     >>       features, such as caching, navigation, pagination, i18n/L10n, etc.
>     >>     * Write a comprehensive tutorial using said application
>     >>     * Update examples in the documentation to reference this application
>     >>     * Write complete documentation for new/refactored components (see
>     >>       the board for a full list)
>     >>
>     >> So, jump in, and start helping! As always, check to make sure you're not
>     >> duplicating effort -- send an email to the list, or pop into #zftalk.2
>     >> on Freenode IRC and ask. And keep those pull requests flowing!

Re: Getting ready for a release candidate: TASKS!

I might be able to refactor them - as I need them myself.
What would be a deadline for it?

Matus

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>     >>     * Zend\Pdf
>     >>     * Zend\Queue
>     >>     * Zend\Search
>     >>  * Documentation
>     >>     * Fork Akrabat's tutorial app, and expand it to include more
>     >>       features, such as caching, navigation, pagination, i18n/L10n, etc.
>     >>     * Write a comprehensive tutorial using said application
>     >>     * Update examples in the documentation to reference this application
>     >>     * Write complete documentation for new/refactored components (see
>     >>       the board for a full list)
>     >>
>     >> So, jump in, and start helping! As always, check to make sure you're not
>     >> duplicating effort -- send an email to the list, or pop into #zftalk.2
>     >> on Freenode IRC and ask. And keep those pull requests flowing!

Re: Getting ready for a release candidate: TASKS!

(on Friday, 13 July 2012, 05:39 PM +0200):
> I might be able to refactor them - as I need them myself.
> What would be a deadline for it?

End of next week.

> [...]
>     (see
>     >     >>       the board for a full list)
>     >     >>
>     >     >> So, jump in, and start helping! As always, check to make sure
>     you're not
>     >     >> duplicating effort -- send an email to the list, or pop into #
>     zftalk.2
>     >     >> on Freenode IRC and ask. And keep those pull requests flowing!
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>
>     --
>     Matthew Weier O'Phinney
>     Project Lead            | [hidden email]
>     Zend Framework          | http://framework.zend.com/
>     PGP key: http://framework.zend.com/zf-matthew-pgp-key.asc

Re: Getting ready for a release candidate: TASKS!

sasezaki
Hi Matthew and all.

I guess there is other refactoring(not updated yet) component target.

Markup
 - We discussed at April
http://zend-framework-community.634137.n4.nabble.com/status-Zend-Markup-Parser-Textile-td4594119.html

OpenId
 - farzdagi is assigned long time ago, but he is busy for other things.
http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV2/Components+Under+Refactoring
https://github.com/farazdagi/zf2/tree/feature/openid-2.0

On the other hand, If I'm correct, "Queue" component has only db
adapter not-update problem. other problem is there?

>  * Moving unrefactored components into separate repos (Ralph will likely
>    tackle this)
>     * Zend\Amf
>     * Zend\Pdf
>     * Zend\Queue
>     * Zend\Search
>  * Documentation

Re: Getting ready for a release candidate: TASKS!

Sascha-Oliver Prolic
2012/7/13 sasezaki <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Matthew and all.
>
> I guess there is other refactoring(not updated yet) component target.
>
> Markup
>  - We discussed at April
> http://zend-framework-community.634137.n4.nabble.com/status-Zend-Markup-Parser-Textile-td4594119.html
>
> OpenId
>  - farzdagi is assigned long time ago, but he is busy for other things.
> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV2/Components+Under+Refactoring
> https://github.com/farazdagi/zf2/tree/feature/openid-2.0
>
> On the other hand, If I'm correct, "Queue" component has only db
> adapter not-update problem. other problem is there?
>
>>  * Moving unrefactored components into separate repos (Ralph will likely
>>    tackle this)
>>     * Zend\Amf
>>     * Zend\Pdf
>>     * Zend\Queue
>>     * Zend\Search
>>  * Documentation

Zend\Queue has 33 open issues, coming from zf1 series, some of them
can't be solved without refactoring of the component.

Regards

Sascha

Sascha-Oliver Prolic

Re: Getting ready for a release candidate: TASKS!

-- sasezaki <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Saturday, 14 July 2012, 03:12 AM +0900):
> I guess there is other refactoring(not updated yet) component target.
>
> Markup
>  - We discussed at April
> http://zend-framework-community.634137.n4.nabble.com/status-Zend-Markup-Parser-Textile-td4594119.html

That's not a blocker for release.

> OpenId
>  - farzdagi is assigned long time ago, but he is busy for other things.
> http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV2/Components+Under+Refactoring
> https://github.com/farazdagi/zf2/tree/feature/openid-2.0

OpenID is moving into a separate tree so it can be versioned separately.

> On the other hand, If I'm correct, "Queue" component has only db
> adapter not-update problem. other problem is there?

It needs re-architecting. There are many.... issues... with it. I'd
rather it not go into 2.0.0 stable as-is; if you need the functionality,
use the functionality from ZF1 until we can get it updated

Re: Getting ready for a release candidate: TASKS!

DeNix
12.07.2012 23:26, Matthew Weier O'Phinney пишет:
>   * Moving unrefactored components into separate repos (Ralph will likely
>     tackle this)
>      * Zend\Amf
>      * Zend\Pdf
>      * Zend\Queue
>      * Zend\Search

I woukd also like to point at

Zend\Json needs heavy refactoring
- json_encode/decode is in PHP core for a long time, so no custom
encoding/decoding routines are needed
- lots of CS breaks

Zend\Serializer needs refactoring
- simplified interface and adoption of AbstractOptions
- what happen to Adapter\Amf with Amf component moved
- Adapter\PyhtonPickle has some deprecated code (pass by reference), CS
breaks
- Adapter\Igbinary  has some issues with latest igbinary version (tests
are skipped with no ext/igbinary installed)

Zend\TimeSync
- not widely used (if at all)
- cryptic configuration language

Zend\Memory
basicaly a facade to Zend\Cache, and I think new Cache features make it
obsolete

Thanks
Denis

Re: Getting ready for a release candidate: TASKS!

-- Denis Portnov <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Saturday, 14 July 2012, 01:09 AM +0400):

> 12.07.2012 23:26, Matthew Weier O'Phinney пишет:
> >  * Moving unrefactored components into separate repos (Ralph will likely
> >    tackle this)
> >     * Zend\Amf
> >     * Zend\Pdf
> >     * Zend\Queue
> >     * Zend\Search
> >
> I woukd also like to point at
>
> Zend\Json needs heavy refactoring
> - json_encode/decode is in PHP core for a long time, so no custom
> encoding/decoding routines are needed

Not true -- the custom bits are for features that ext/json does not
support at this time.

> - lots of CS breaks

These should all be resolved currently, due to the work of Maks3w.

> Zend\Serializer needs refactoring
> - simplified interface and adoption of AbstractOptions
> - what happen to Adapter\Amf with Amf component moved

We'll remove the AMF serialization.

> - Adapter\PyhtonPickle has some deprecated code (pass by reference),
> CS breaks
> - Adapter\Igbinary  has some issues with latest igbinary version
> (tests are skipped with no ext/igbinary installed)

Do you have time to refactor? If not, we have two options:

 * Wait on a refactor to ZF3 (18-24 months following ZF2 stable)
 * Move it into a separate repo, refactor, and add in a minor version
   later.

Thoughts?

> Zend\TimeSync
> - not widely used (if at all)
> - cryptic configuration language

Latter is due to the way time servers work. I have no problem including
it.

> Zend\Memory
> basicaly a facade to Zend\Cache, and I think new Cache features make
> it obsolete

We may simply move this into the repo with Zend\Pdf, as that's the only
component using it currently.

14.07.2012 1:41, Matthew Weier O'Phinney пишет:

> -- Denis Portnov <[hidden email]> wrote
> (on Saturday, 14 July 2012, 01:09 AM +0400):
>> 12.07.2012 23:26, Matthew Weier O'Phinney пишет:
>>>   * Moving unrefactored components into separate repos (Ralph will likely
>>>     tackle this)
>>>      * Zend\Amf
>>>      * Zend\Pdf
>>>      * Zend\Queue
>>>      * Zend\Search
>>>
>> I woukd also like to point at
>>
>> Zend\Json needs heavy refactoring
>> - json_encode/decode is in PHP core for a long time, so no custom
>> encoding/decoding routines are needed
> Not true -- the custom bits are for features that ext/json does not
> support at this time.
agree, was confused by explicit function_exists() checks (wich I guess
should be removed)

>> - Adapter\PyhtonPickle has some deprecated code (pass by reference),
>> CS breaks
>> - Adapter\Igbinary  has some issues with latest igbinary version
>> (tests are skipped with no ext/igbinary installed)
> Do you have time to refactor? If not, we have two options:
>
>   * Wait on a refactor to ZF3 (18-24 months following ZF2 stable)
>   * Move it into a separate repo, refactor, and add in a minor version
>     later.
>
> Thoughts?
actually have some code ready
so with amf removed, need to refresh my memory on pickle and wddx
serialization
and can have PR ready by tuesday
>> Zend\TimeSync
>> - not widely used (if at all)
>> - cryptic configuration language
> Latter is due to the way time servers work. I have no problem including
> it.
hmm, not sure that defining timeserver like this 'ntp:\\0.pool.ntp.org'
is in any standard or RFC
>> Zend\Memory
>> basicaly a facade to Zend\Cache, and I think new Cache features make
>> it obsolete
> We may simply move this into the repo with Zend\Pdf, as that's the only
> component using it currently.
sounds good to me
btw, regarding versions, Is number of components freezed?
I mean why can't we say have no TimeSync in 2.0 and re-introduce it
refactored in 2.1 ?

Re: Getting ready for a release candidate: TASKS!

-- Denis Portnov <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Saturday, 14 July 2012, 02:13 AM +0400):

> 14.07.2012 1:41, Matthew Weier O'Phinney пишет:
> > -- Denis Portnov <[hidden email]> wrote
> > (on Saturday, 14 July 2012, 01:09 AM +0400):
> > > Zend\TimeSync
> > > - not widely used (if at all)
> > > - cryptic configuration language
> > Latter is due to the way time servers work. I have no problem including
> > it.
> hmm, not sure that defining timeserver like this
> 'ntp:\\0.pool.ntp.org' is in any standard or RFC
> > > Zend\Memory
> > > basicaly a facade to Zend\Cache, and I think new Cache features make
> > > it obsolete
> > We may simply move this into the repo with Zend\Pdf, as that's the only
> > component using it currently.
> sounds good to me
> btw, regarding versions, Is number of components freezed?
> I mean why can't we say have no TimeSync in 2.0 and re-introduce it
> refactored in 2.1 ?

kk, I've added this to story 79 on the AgileZen board, and slated it for
removal from 2.0 stable. People can use the version from ZF1 in the
interim if they need it.

Re: Getting ready for a release candidate: TASKS!

akrabat

On 16 Jul 2012, at 16:03, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:

> -- Denis Portnov <[hidden email]> wrote
> (on Saturday, 14 July 2012, 02:13 AM +0400):
>>
>> btw, regarding versions, Is number of components freezed?
>> I mean why can't we say have no TimeSync in 2.0 and re-introduce it
>> refactored in 2.1 ?
>
> kk, I've added this to story 79 on the AgileZen board, and slated it for
> removal from 2.0 stable. People can use the version from ZF1 in the
> interim if they need it.

This is definitely my preferred approach for any component that's not ready for 2.0.

Regards,

Rob...

On 13.07.2012 23:41, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
>> I woukd also like to point at
>>
>> Zend\Json needs heavy refactoring
>> - json_encode/decode is in PHP core for a long time, so no custom
>> encoding/decoding routines are needed
> Not true -- the custom bits are for features that ext/json does not
> support at this time.

Which features that are? I only know about the option
"enableJsonExprFinder".

If expressions are the only feature not supported by native json_*
functions.
It's ok for me having Zend\Json but for Zend\Serializer\Adapter\Json I would
prefer to remove the hard dependency and use the native functions instead.

Annotations ?

Greetings
Marc

Re: Getting ready for a release candidate: TASKS!

-- Marc Bennewitz <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Wednesday, 18 July 2012, 09:24 PM +0200):

> On 13.07.2012 23:41, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> > > I woukd also like to point at
> > >
> > > Zend\Json needs heavy refactoring
> > > - json_encode/decode is in PHP core for a long time, so no custom
> > > encoding/decoding routines are needed
> > Not true -- the custom bits are for features that ext/json does not
> > support at this time.
> >

> Which features that are? I only know about the option
> "enableJsonExprFinder".
>
> If expressions are the only feature not supported by native json_*
> functions.  It's ok for me having Zend\Json but for
> Zend\Serializer\Adapter\Json I would prefer to remove the hard
> dependency and use the native functions instead.

Yes -- the main feature is JSON expression support, which allows
serializing arbitrary javascript expressions, including callbacks.
Additionally, we do some work with encoding that allows us to recover
gracefully (or report errors as exceptions) from encoding issues that
ext/json does not.

18.07.2012 23:24, Marc Bennewitz пишет:

> On 13.07.2012 23:41, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
>>> I woukd also like to point at
>>>
>>> Zend\Json needs heavy refactoring
>>> - json_encode/decode is in PHP core for a long time, so no custom
>>> encoding/decoding routines are needed
>> Not true -- the custom bits are for features that ext/json does not
>> support at this time.
>>
> Which features that are? I only know about the option
> "enableJsonExprFinder".
>
> If expressions are the only feature not supported by native json_*
> functions.
> It's ok for me having Zend\Json but for Zend\Serializer\Adapter\Json I would
> prefer to remove the hard dependency and use the native functions instead.
I agree with Marc here, so with this PR
(https://github.com/zendframework/zf2/pull/1902)
I need community decision whether Serialzer\Json adapter should use PHP
json_encode/decode or Zend\Json
to me pros are:
- one dependency less
- bit faster
- new json_encode/decode options since PHP 5.3 we can use

Thoughts?

Denis
12