Future of ZFTool

Ralf Eggert
Hi,

last week I gave a live-coding ZF2 workshop at the German PHP-Summit in
Berlin. I also attended the Symfony2 and the TYPO3 Flow Workshops as
well. To be honest the command line stuff of the other two frameworks is
quite impressive. On the other hand the amount of unautomated config
work that I had to do while live-cofing pissed off a lot of people.

Now I am thinking about spending some time to improve the ZFTool module.
I already created a first little PR to fix some issue with controller
and module params when creating actions, controllers and modules.

https://github.com/zendframework/ZFTool/pull/78

There are some other ideas that came to my mind so far:

- create the configuration in the module.config.php file when
  creating controllers and views

- create a factory for an existing controller and add the proper
  configuration

- add an option to create a factory while creating a new controller and
  add the proper configuration

- create a form skeleton class (with or without a factory) and add the
  proper configuration

- create a factory for an existing form and add the proper configuration

- ...

Just stuff like that. I wonder what is the best approach to get started.
Should I go ahead and implement all this stuff? Or is some one working
on these kind of stuff already?

And how should I go ahead? Should I create a git branch for each
feature? I am still not a Git pro and I remember some issues when
creating pull request. All my commits were always added to the same PR
which really sucked and I didn't manage to sort that out.

Please advise!

Thanks and best regards,

Ralf

Re: Future of ZFTool

dolphin
My opinion - an opinion layman . Maybe I do not understand much . But it seemed to me that the development of large systems in other languages ​​use special modeling tools . Once I used Umbrello, but it works well with C++, but there are some limitations for PHP . However, this approach has some significant advantages - first we create the architecture of the project and then exports UML scheme in the PHP code . Unfortunately, the availability of such tools for the command line says that php - developers live in isolation from the world. I'm sorry to say it, I see that you are fascinated by the idea . So do not take it to heart.

Re: Future of ZFTool

Hi Ralf!

The development cycle is dirt simple:

 1. check out the branch you want to start your work from:

    git checkout master # or develop, depending on project

 2. set the original author/organization's repo as a remote

    git remote add upstream [hidden email]:RepoOwner/RepoName.git #if you don't yet have that remote

 3. guarantee that the branch is up to date

    git pull --ff-only upstream master #or develop

 4. create a new feature branch

    git checkout -b name-of-the-branch

 5. do work/commit
 6. push your branch to your repository

    git push origin name-of-the-branch

 7. open a pull request

That's the workflow to follow in 99% of github projects - enjoy :)

On 8 December 2013 21:37, Ralf Eggert <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

stormwild
Hi Ralf,

I noticed there is a problem with the zftool when trying to use it globally instead of from within a project.

It may be a good issue to look into.

I was thinking there may need to be a reference to the path of zftool on the system as well as a reference to the current directory the user is in.

Regards,

Alex

--
------------------------------

Alexander R. Torrijos
Web Developer
Mobile: +63 919 991 5653
Res: +63 2 822 7219
Skype/YM: artorrijos

------------------------------

Re: Future of ZFTool

Ralf Eggert
Hi Marco,

thanks for your little How-to. I will try it tonight. Just one little
question so far. Regarding the ZFTool project I should rather checkout
the develop branch, shouldn't I?

Thanks and best regards,

Ralf

Ralf

Re: Future of ZFTool

Ralf Eggert
Hi Alexander,

> https://github.com/zendframework/ZFTool/issues/51
>
> It may be a good issue to look into.

I stumbled upon that issue as well some weeks ago. I will give it a try
whenever I am ready...

Thanks and best regards,

Ralf

Re: Future of ZFTool

Ralf Eggert
Marco Pivetta schrieb am 09.12.2013 06:53:
> Develop for new stuff, master for hotfixes

Ok. Now its clear.

Thanks and best regards,

Ralf

Re: Future of ZFTool

Gregory
Hi Ralf, I'm not sure if you also use composer, but sometimes I wonder if it would be possible to use ZFTool to integrate with Composer, e.g adding a new module via ZFTool will update Composer's autoloader config.

Greg

Re: Future of ZFTool

Ralf Eggert
Hi Marco,

I wonder if this first PR (that I send before your how-to) is done
correctly. If I continue work I just want to make sure that I didn't
mess up things like months ago with another PR.