Framework status, week of May 22nd

Jayson Minard (ZF)
Framework status, week of May 22nd Hello everyone,

Since I’m new, I figured it is best to bring you into my thinking as quickly as possible about the framework, and one way to do that is to keep you up to date with the tactical plans for each week as well as the larger issues we face.

For this week, we are working to get things running smoothly for the internal Zend framework team (Darby, Alexander, Gavin, myself) with making sure we have our lives in order so that we can make your lives easier with infrastructure, planning, coordination and other things we do from our end to help the framework along.  Some of the topics we are talking about (no particular order):

  • What are the actual community processes we use and how consistent are they?
  • For those processes, how is the infrastructure holding up?
  • Are we bottlenecking anything, and if so how do we stop doing that?
  • Should we turn on milestones in Trac to start slotting items into releases?
  • What is a good date for 0.1.4 release, probably within the next 10-14 days?
  • How is the “laboratory” going to work?  And the proposal system/process as a whole (in terms of clarity, feedback, and consistency)?
  • Who is leading what, how are they working with the community?
  • Who has access to what, for what, and why?

We want to make sure we take a short pain now in preparing for the longer road of getting to a 1.0 release rather than have issues bug us all along the way.    We also want everyone to have a good solid understanding of the bigger picture which will help get proposals all going the right direction, keep scope from creeping out of control, and be more focused as a group.

And for the community side, it is about

  • Keeping things moving
  • Getting everyone on the same track, vision, focus, mindset, etc.
  • Having leaders from the community working with others willing to contribute
  • Having a solid understanding of the processes and making them work

What we have in mind so far around releases:

  • 0.1.4 in the next 10-14 days, and its scope
  • proposal catch-up window following 0.1.4 with reviews, getting them into laboratory, incubator, etc.
  • 0.2.0 release plan decided by the end of the proposal catch-up window
  • 0.2.x and beyond given the results of the proposals, a rough idea of 1.0 and what we are missing
  • Heading towards a 1.0 by end of summer, going into fall at latest

Obviously a lot can impact these ideas and they have very little supporting them in terms of details.  But, they are questions we are asking ourselves and want to start getting more set as goals so that we can all target them better.

--j

Re: Framework status, week of May 22nd

akrabat
Jayson Minard wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> For this week, we are working to get things running smoothly for the
> internal Zend framework team (Darby, Alexander, Gavin, myself) with
> making sure we have our lives in order so that we can make your lives
> easier with infrastructure, planning, coordination and other things we
> do from our end to help the framework along.  Some of the topics we are
> talking about (no particular order):
>
>     * What are the actual community processes we use and how consistent
>       are they?
>     * For those processes, how is the infrastructure holding up?
>     * Are we bottlenecking anything, and if so how do we stop doing that?
>     * Should we turn on milestones in Trac to start slotting items into
>       releases?
>     * What is a good date for 0.1.4 release, probably within the next
>       10-14 days?
>     * How is the “laboratory” going to work?  And the proposal
>       system/process as a whole (in terms of clarity, feedback, and
>       consistency)?
>     * Who is leading what, how are they working with the community?
>     * Who has access to what, for what, and why?

Sound's excellent.

Along with looking at leadership and community organisation, I think it
would be helpful to ensure that a process is put in place to ensure that
issues raised in Trac are at least acknowledged by someone "in the know"
in a timely manner.

Regards,

Rob...

Re: Framework status, week of May 22nd

Jayson Minard (ZF)
Rob,

Having a constant Triage of the issues in Trac is on the idea list.  They
need reviewed and shuffled to an owner, or answered in some way to make sure
we have good information in there to work from.

--j

On 5/22/06 12:47 PM, "Rob Allen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jayson Minard wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> For this week, we are working to get things running smoothly for the
>> internal Zend framework team (Darby, Alexander, Gavin, myself) with
>> making sure we have our lives in order so that we can make your lives
>> easier with infrastructure, planning, coordination and other things we
>> do from our end to help the framework along.  Some of the topics we are
>> talking about (no particular order):
>>
>>     * What are the actual community processes we use and how consistent
>>       are they?
>>     * For those processes, how is the infrastructure holding up?
>>     * Are we bottlenecking anything, and if so how do we stop doing that?
>>     * Should we turn on milestones in Trac to start slotting items into
>>       releases?
>>     * What is a good date for 0.1.4 release, probably within the next
>>       10-14 days?
>>     * How is the ³laboratory² going to work?  And the proposal
>>       system/process as a whole (in terms of clarity, feedback, and
>>       consistency)?
>>     * Who is leading what, how are they working with the community?
>>     * Who has access to what, for what, and why?
>>

> Sound's excellent.
>
> Along with looking at leadership and community organisation, I think it
> would be helpful to ensure that a process is put in place to ensure that
> issues raised in Trac are at least acknowledged by someone "in the know"
> in a timely manner.
>

> Regards,
>
> Rob...

Re: Framework status, week of May 22nd

Arnaud Limbourg
Thanks for keeping us updated so well !

Arnaud.

Arnaud

Re: Framework status, week of May 22nd

maillists-2
I just wanted to say thank you very much for relaying the details of the
project and giving us an idea of what to expect.  I work for a financial
institution in which I head up our programming department and I'm doing
my best to hold off on as many projects as possible so we can implement
the framework and it has been tough up until now because the vision of
the framework has been reserved.  That's my opinion at least.  But at
least you have given us some idea as to what to expect.

Thank you very much and I would like to thank your team because this
framework is sweat.  You guys are doing GREAT!

Brian

On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 12:20 -0700, Jayson Minard wrote:

> [...]
>         to contribute
>       * Having a solid understanding of the processes and making them
>         work
>
> What we have in mind so far around releases:
>
>       * 0.1.4 in the next 10-14 days, and its scope
>       * proposal catch-up window following 0.1.4 with reviews, getting
>         them into laboratory, incubator, etc.
>       * 0.2.0 release plan decided by the end of the proposal catch-up
>         window
>       * 0.2.x and beyond given the results of the proposals, a rough
>         idea of 1.0 and what we are missing
>       * Heading towards a 1.0 by end of summer, going into fall at
>         latest
>
> Obviously a lot can impact these ideas and they have very little
> supporting them in terms of details.  But, they are questions we are
> asking ourselves and want to start getting more set as goals so that

Hello Brian,

One of the tasks mentioned below is to get that vision to be public so that
we all focus on the same outcome.  This week will be a bit of
infrastructure, vision, cleanup and catch-up and then we'll start pushing
that outwards and your feedback inwards to settle in for the road to 1.0.

I look forward to your feedback once we get more things down on paper for
review.

--j