Features for ZF 2.1

Ralf Eggert
Hi,

I know that 2.0 is not even stable yet. But still I want to ask a
question regarding the upcoming 2.1 release.

I know that a couple of features from ZF1 have not been reworked on for
ZF2 yet. I remember the Dojo support or the ACL for example.

Are there any other components from ZF1 that have not been reworked for
ZF 2.0 yet and are planned for ZF 2.1 or later? Maybe there is even a
page in the wiki summing these components up?

Thanks and best regards,

Ralf

--
Ralf Eggert
Geschäftsführer

Travello GmbH
An der Eiche 15
25421 Pinneberg

Geschäftsführer: Ralf Eggert
Amtsgericht Pinneberg HRB 6112 PI

Tel: 04101/8529401
Fax: 04101/8529402
E-Mail: [hidden email]
Web: http://www.travello.de

Re: Features for ZF 2.1

-- Ralf Eggert <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Tuesday, 14 August 2012, 06:56 AM +0200):
> I know that 2.0 is not even stable yet. But still I want to ask a
> question regarding the upcoming 2.1 release.
>
> I know that a couple of features from ZF1 have not been reworked on for
> ZF2 yet. I remember the Dojo support or the ACL for example.
>
> Are there any other components from ZF1 that have not been reworked for
> ZF 2.0 yet and are planned for ZF 2.1 or later? Maybe there is even a
> page in the wiki summing these components up?

Well, a number of those removed/moved to new repositories:

 * Zend\GData
 * Zend\OAuth  (we're waiting on OAuth2 support)
 * Zend\AMF    (if anybody really wants to take that on)
 * Zend\OpenID (Stable, but could be better)
 * Zend\Pdf

Dojo support may or may not come back; a few of us have discussed
instead having a generic set of helpers targetting the AMD loader and
simply leveraging the head/inlineScript() helpers. This would work for
jQuery, Dojo, Mootools, and any other JS library that utilizes AMD.

Otherwise, we're marking new features for 2.1 in the pull request queue
currently -- these include a variety of things such as an RBAC
implementation, chrome and growl log writers, and more.

Re: Features for ZF 2.1

-- Gary Hockin <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Wednesday, 15 August 2012, 07:53 PM +0100):
>      * Zend\OAuth  (we're waiting on OAuth2 support)
>

> OAuth2 client will easily be ready for whichever release it's deemed to be
> appropriate for. Just let me know when you want it.

As soon as we have a dedicated branch for 2.0 (which will be after the
RC tomorrow), we can start merging features for 2.1. So, whenever,
basically. :)

Re: Features for ZF 2.1

Ralf Eggert
Hi Matthew,

> Well, a number of those removed/moved to new repositories:
>
>  * Zend\GData
>  * Zend\OAuth  (we're waiting on OAuth2 support)
>  * Zend\AMF    (if anybody really wants to take that on)
>  * Zend\OpenID (Stable, but could be better)
>  * Zend\Pdf
>
> Dojo support may or may not come back; a few of us have discussed
> instead having a generic set of helpers targetting the AMD loader and
> simply leveraging the head/inlineScript() helpers. This would work for
> jQuery, Dojo, Mootools, and any other JS library that utilizes AMD.
>
> Otherwise, we're marking new features for 2.1 in the pull request queue
> currently -- these include a variety of things such as an RBAC
> implementation, chrome and growl log writers, and more.

Thanks for clarifying. From these components I only really will miss the
Dojo support. But I will wait for stuff with the AMD loader.

Best regards,

Ralf

Re: Features for ZF 2.1

-- Ralf Eggert <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Thursday, 16 August 2012, 10:52 AM +0200):

> > Well, a number of those removed/moved to new repositories:
> >
> >  * Zend\GData
> >  * Zend\OAuth  (we're waiting on OAuth2 support)
> >  * Zend\AMF    (if anybody really wants to take that on)
> >  * Zend\OpenID (Stable, but could be better)
> >  * Zend\Pdf
> >
> > Dojo support may or may not come back; a few of us have discussed
> > instead having a generic set of helpers targetting the AMD loader and
> > simply leveraging the head/inlineScript() helpers. This would work for
> > jQuery, Dojo, Mootools, and any other JS library that utilizes AMD.
> >
> > Otherwise, we're marking new features for 2.1 in the pull request queue
> > currently -- these include a variety of things such as an RBAC
> > implementation, chrome and growl log writers, and more.
>
> Thanks for clarifying. From these components I only really will miss the
> Dojo support. But I will wait for stuff with the AMD loader.

So much has changed with Dojo in the last two versions that we'd need to
do a complete rewrite of our support anyways. Declarative syntax is
still available, but it's looking more and more like Dojo is steering
people away from that in favor of programmatic creation. As such, you'd
be writing more JS than anything -- so targetting the AMD loader seems
like a reasonable approach.