Deploy a ZF2 application

Enrico Zimuel-2
Hi,

i'm working on zfdeploy, a command line tool to deploy ZF2 applications (including Apigility):

Comments, suggestions and contributions are more than welcome.
Thanks!

--
Enrico Zimuel
Senior PHP Engineer     | [hidden email]
Zend Technologies Ltd.
http://www.zend.com

Re: Deploy a ZF2 application

Marco Pivetta
Hey Enrico,

please please please please DO the work in PRs, then feel free to poke me if you need reviews.

I find it very hard to review code if not put in the github PR view, so that would already help you a lot in helping me helping you :-)

Cheers,

On 15 April 2014 11:39, Enrico Zimuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

i'm working on zfdeploy, a command line tool to deploy ZF2 applications (including Apigility):

Comments, suggestions and contributions are more than welcome.
Thanks!

--
Enrico Zimuel
Senior PHP Engineer     | [hidden email]
Zend Framework Team     | http://framework.zend.com
Zend Technologies Ltd.
http://www.zend.com

Re: Deploy a ZF2 application

Enrico Zimuel-2
Hi Marco,

of course I will use PR to work in the future, right now I just pushed the first draft of the script and makes no sense to use PR in the first commits :)

Enrico

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 2:40 PM, Marco Pivetta <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Zend Technologies Ltd.
http://www.zend.com

Re: Deploy a ZF2 application

till-2
Hey Enrico,

I think you're kind of re-inventing the wheel because `./composer.phar archive` seems to do that as well? Or well, it could be extended to achieve what you're trying to do.

I'm sure your contributions on composer would be very welcome. :)

Till

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 6:34 PM, Enrico Zimuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://www.zend.com

Re: Deploy a ZF2 application

Enrico Zimuel-2
Hi Till,

the zf-deploy is quite different from "composer archive". Zf-deploy is specific for ZF2 (and Apigility) apps, composer archive is for generic PHP projects.
In zf-deploy we perform some operations that are not included in composer archive, some like:

- create a package without the usage of composer
- deploy only specific ZF2 modules (using the -m option)
- remove specific files related to the environment (using the .gitignore file, if present)
- remove the vendor/*/*/test folder in the output package for optimization
- ensure that the Apigility deploy package does not contain the admin UI
- create package in .zpk format, ready to be deployed in Zend Server (using the deployment feature)
- etc

Of course, there are some features that overlaps with "composer archive" but I think there are many differences, and more will come.
Maybe you right, I should start to contribute to composer as well :)

Enrico

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 6:23 PM, till <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Zend Technologies Ltd.
http://www.zend.com

Re: Deploy a ZF2 application

till-2
Hey,

didn't want to rain on your parade. :) Answers inline.

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 6:42 PM, Enrico Zimuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Till,

the zf-deploy is quite different from "composer archive". Zf-deploy is specific for ZF2 (and Apigility) apps, composer archive is for generic PHP projects.
In zf-deploy we perform some operations that are not included in composer archive, some like:

- create a package without the usage of composer
- deploy only specific ZF2 modules (using the -m option)

Is this like require vs require-dev in composer?

- remove specific files related to the environment (using the .gitignore file, if present)

I *think* composer does that as well.

- remove the vendor/*/*/test folder in the output package for optimization

Are you optimizing for file-size? I bet an event for the composer installer would let others benefit from this as well.

- ensure that the Apigility deploy package does not contain the admin UI

This also sounds like a require vs require-dev thing to me. I'm sure it's not that simple though.

- create package in .zpk format, ready to be deployed in Zend Server (using the deployment feature)

Are there more details on what this format is? composer supports tar and zip, and technically also phar right now.

- etc

Of course, there are some features that overlaps with "composer archive" but I think there are many differences, and more will come.
Maybe you right, I should start to contribute to composer as well :)

That would be awesome.

Cheers,
Till

[...]

http://www.zend.com

Re: Deploy a ZF2 application

Enrico Zimuel-2
Hi Till,

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 6:49 PM, till <[hidden email]> wrote:

- create package in .zpk format, ready to be deployed in Zend Server (using the deployment feature)

Are there more details on what this format is? composer supports tar and zip, and technically also phar right now.

The .zpk format is the file format used by Zend Server to deploy PHP applications. Basically it's a zip file containing an XML configuration file, the source of the app to deploy and a collection of PHP scripts to be executed before/after the installation of the application.