Change own password (with low permission)

Change own password (with low permission)

ezzer
Dear Community

I'm trying to set up a script, where a user can change his own password. Im trying to solve this problem with the following code:

$user = $gdata->retrieveUser($username);
$user->login->password = $newPassword;
$user = $user->save();

When I run my script and log in as a google apps super-administrator, that code perfectly does what it's supposed to do.

But if I log in as a normal user, I get the following error:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Zend_Gdata_App_HttpException' with message 'Expected response code 200, got 500 Internal Error' in /home/.....

So my question is, if there is any possibility to change his own password without being a super-administrator..?
If no, I would have to create a big security-hole in my script.

Thank you everybody for your help!
ezzer