Apache Cassandra and ZF

Hector Virgen
Hello ZF Community,

A team member and I are starting development for an adapter to connect to Apache Cassandra[1] databases from within the Zend Framework. We would like to share our work by contributing it to ZF when it's complete. We are also interested in getting community feedback to aid us in its development. Some of the questions we have before we write up the proposal are:
  • Do we need to be concerned with licensing issues? Cassandra uses the Apache 2.0 license[2] while ZF uses the new BSD license[3].
  • Cassandra has not been formally released (it's still incubating). Will this be an issue?
If you are interested in helping or already have a solution in place please let us know. Thanks!

--
Hector
Hector Virgen

Re: Apache Cassandra and ZF

-- Hector Virgen <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Friday, 15 January 2010, 12:48 PM -0800):
> A team member and I are starting development for an adapter to connect to
> Apache Cassandra[1] databases from within the Zend Framework. We would like to
> share our work by contributing it to ZF when it's complete. We are also
> interested in getting community feedback to aid us in its development. Some of
> the questions we have before we write up the proposal are:
>
>   • Do we need to be concerned with licensing issues? Cassandra uses the Apache
>     2.0 license[2] while ZF uses the new BSD license[3].

Since they're two different languages, likely not. From what I
understand, anyways, the Apache and BSD licenses are pretty similar and
usually compatible.

>   • Cassandra has not been formally released (it's still incubating). Will this
>     be an issue?

No -- we have a number of components targeting services that are still
pre-release, and have even more planned.

> If you are interested in helping or already have a solution in place
> please let us know. Thanks!

I'm assuming you already are familiar with our proposal process; if
not, email me and I'll point you in the right direction.

Looking forward to seeing more on this front!

Re: Apache Cassandra and ZF

Hector Virgen
Thanks, Matthew! We'll be submitting our proposal to the wiki next week after the holiday break. I hope you all have a good weekend :)

--
Hector

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]> wrote:
-- Hector Virgen <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Friday, 15 January 2010, 12:48 PM -0800):
> A team member and I are starting development for an adapter to connect to
> Apache Cassandra[1] databases from within the Zend Framework. We would like to
> share our work by contributing it to ZF when it's complete. We are also
> interested in getting community feedback to aid us in its development. Some of
> the questions we have before we write up the proposal are:
>
>   • Do we need to be concerned with licensing issues? Cassandra uses the Apache
>     2.0 license[2] while ZF uses the new BSD license[3].

Since they're two different languages, likely not. From what I
understand, anyways, the Apache and BSD licenses are pretty similar and
usually compatible.

>   • Cassandra has not been formally released (it's still incubating). Will this
>     be an issue?

No -- we have a number of components targeting services that are still
pre-release, and have even more planned.

> If you are interested in helping or already have a solution in place
> please let us know. Thanks!

I'm assuming you already are familiar with our proposal process; if
not, email me and I'll point you in the right direction.

Looking forward to seeing more on this front!

Hector Virgen

Re: Apache Cassandra and ZF

Weagle
Hey Matthew and Hector,

Keep me posted on when you begin.  Our team is highly interested in helping with the development.

Cheers,
Will

Hector Virgen wrote

<matthew@zend.com>wrote:

> -- Hector Virgen <djvirgen@gmail.com> wrote
> (on Friday, 15 January 2010, 12:48 PM -0800):
> > A team member and I are starting development for an adapter to connect to
> > Apache Cassandra[1] databases from within the Zend Framework. We would
> like to
> > share our work by contributing it to ZF when it's complete. We are also
> > interested in getting community feedback to aid us in its development.
> Some of
> > the questions we have before we write up the proposal are:
> >
> >   • Do we need to be concerned with licensing issues? Cassandra uses the
> Apache
> >     2.0 license[2] while ZF uses the new BSD license[3].
>
> Since they're two different languages, likely not. From what I
> understand, anyways, the Apache and BSD licenses are pretty similar and
> usually compatible.
>
> >   • Cassandra has not been formally released (it's still incubating).
> Will this
> >     be an issue?
>
> No -- we have a number of components targeting services that are still
> pre-release, and have even more planned.
>
> > If you are interested in helping or already have a solution in place
> > please let us know. Thanks!
>
> I'm assuming you already are familiar with our proposal process; if
> not, email me and I'll point you in the right direction.
>
> Looking forward to seeing more on this front!
>
> --
> Matthew Weier O'Phinney
> Project Lead            | matthew@zend.com

Re: Apache Cassandra and ZF

Hector Virgen
We currently have a working prototype in place. I'll send you the details tomorrow when I'm back at work.

--
Hector

Hector Virgen wrote:

> Thanks, Matthew! We'll be submitting our proposal to the wiki next week
> after the holiday break. I hope you all have a good weekend :)
>
> --
> Hector
>

> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> -- Hector Virgen <[hidden email]> wrote
>> (on Friday, 15 January 2010, 12:48 PM -0800):
>> > A team member and I are starting development for an adapter to connect
>> > Apache Cassandra[1] databases from within the Zend Framework. We would
>> like to
>> > share our work by contributing it to ZF when it's complete. We are also
>> > interested in getting community feedback to aid us in its development.
>> Some of
>> > the questions we have before we write up the proposal are:
>> >
>> >   • Do we need to be concerned with licensing issues? Cassandra uses
>> the
>> Apache
>> >     2.0 license[2] while ZF uses the new BSD license[3].
>>
>> Since they're two different languages, likely not. From what I
>> understand, anyways, the Apache and BSD licenses are pretty similar and
>> usually compatible.
>>
>> >   • Cassandra has not been formally released (it's still incubating).
>> Will this
>> >     be an issue?
>>
>> No -- we have a number of components targeting services that are still
>> pre-release, and have even more planned.
>>
>> > If you are interested in helping or already have a solution in place
>> > please let us know. Thanks!
>>
>> I'm assuming you already are familiar with our proposal process; if
>> not, email me and I'll point you in the right direction.
>>
>> Looking forward to seeing more on this front!
>>
>> --
>> Matthew Weier O'Phinney
>> Project Lead            | [hidden email]
>> Zend Framework          | http://framework.zend.com/
>> PGP key: http://framework.zend.com/zf-matthew-pgp-key.asc

Hector Virgen

Re: Apache Cassandra and ZF

till
+1 here. Cassandra, yes please. :)

Till

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 6:20 AM, Weagle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Matthew and Hector,
>
> Keep me posted on when you begin.  Our team is highly interested in helping
> with the development.
>
> Cheers,
> Will
>

> Hector Virgen wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, Matthew! We'll be submitting our proposal to the wiki next week
>> after the holiday break. I hope you all have a good weekend :)
>>
>> --
>> Hector
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney
>> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> -- Hector Virgen <[hidden email]> wrote
>>> (on Friday, 15 January 2010, 12:48 PM -0800):
>>> like to
>>> Some of

>>> the
>>> Apache
>>>
>>> Since they're two different languages, likely not. From what I
>>> understand, anyways, the Apache and BSD licenses are pretty similar and
>>> usually compatible.

>>> Will this
>>>
>>> No -- we have a number of components targeting services that are still
>>> pre-release, and have even more planned.

>>> I'm assuming you already are familiar with our proposal process; if
>>> not, email me and I'll point you in the right direction.
>>>
>>> Looking forward to seeing more on this front!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Matthew Weier O'Phinney
>>> Project Lead            | [hidden email]
>>> Zend Framework          | http://framework.zend.com/
>>> PGP key: http://framework.zend.com/zf-matthew-pgp-key.asc

Re: Apache Cassandra and ZF

Hector Virgen
Here's the link, hosted on github:

If you have any questions feel free to ask James (julesbravo, the author).

--
Hector

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 2:13 AM, till <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 here. Cassandra, yes please. :)

Till

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 6:20 AM, Weagle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Matthew and Hector,
>
> Keep me posted on when you begin.  Our team is highly interested in helping
> with the development.
>
> Cheers,
> Will
>

> Hector Virgen wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, Matthew! We'll be submitting our proposal to the wiki next week
>> after the holiday break. I hope you all have a good weekend :)
>>
>> --
>> Hector
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney
>> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> -- Hector Virgen <[hidden email]> wrote
>>> (on Friday, 15 January 2010, 12:48 PM -0800):
>>> like to
>>> Some of

>>> the
>>> Apache
>>>
>>> Since they're two different languages, likely not. From what I
>>> understand, anyways, the Apache and BSD licenses are pretty similar and
>>> usually compatible.

>>> Will this
>>>
>>> No -- we have a number of components targeting services that are still
>>> pre-release, and have even more planned.

>>> I'm assuming you already are familiar with our proposal process; if
>>> not, email me and I'll point you in the right direction.
>>>
>>> Looking forward to seeing more on this front!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Matthew Weier O'Phinney
>>> Project Lead            | [hidden email]
>>> Zend Framework          | http://framework.zend.com/
>>> PGP key: http://framework.zend.com/zf-matthew-pgp-key.asc

Hector Virgen

Re: Apache Cassandra and ZF

James Bathgate
I'm more than willing to keep working on this library, but I need direction to know what everyone would be looking for. It's intended just to be a thin wrapper to the Cassandra Thrift library right now.

Re: Apache Cassandra and ZF

robert mena
Hi Hector,

Any news regarding this?

I've seen no other post in this list about it.

Matthew,

With this nosql frenzy (couch, mongo and cassandra) are there any plans or proposals for ZF 1.x in place?

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Hector Virgen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here's the link, hosted on github:

If you have any questions feel free to ask James (julesbravo, the author).

--
Hector

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 2:13 AM, till <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 here. Cassandra, yes please. :)

Till

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 6:20 AM, Weagle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Matthew and Hector,
>
> Keep me posted on when you begin.  Our team is highly interested in helping
> with the development.
>
> Cheers,
> Will
>

> Hector Virgen wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, Matthew! We'll be submitting our proposal to the wiki next week
>> after the holiday break. I hope you all have a good weekend :)
>>
>> --
>> Hector
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney
>> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> -- Hector Virgen <[hidden email]> wrote
>>> (on Friday, 15 January 2010, 12:48 PM -0800):
>>> like to
>>> Some of

>>> the
>>> Apache
>>>
>>> Since they're two different languages, likely not. From what I
>>> understand, anyways, the Apache and BSD licenses are pretty similar and
>>> usually compatible.

>>> Will this
>>>
>>> No -- we have a number of components targeting services that are still
>>> pre-release, and have even more planned.

>>> I'm assuming you already are familiar with our proposal process; if
>>> not, email me and I'll point you in the right direction.
>>>
>>> Looking forward to seeing more on this front!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Matthew Weier O'Phinney
>>> Project Lead            | [hidden email]
>>> Zend Framework          | http://framework.zend.com/
>>> PGP key: http://framework.zend.com/zf-matthew-pgp-key.asc

Re: Apache Cassandra and ZF

till-2
I'd have a lot of feedback, if you want. :) I could open issues on
github or fork and send you a pull request.

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:20 PM, James Bathgate <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm more than willing to keep working on this library, but I need direction
> to know what everyone would be looking for. It's intended just to be a thin
> wrapper to the Cassandra Thrift library right now.

Re: Apache Cassandra and ZF

James Bathgate
Either way, however you want to do it. I switched jobs recently so don't have as much time to work on it as I'd like, but I can find time.

Re: Apache Cassandra and ZF

er.goyal.d@gmail.com
Hi Hector

Have you got the solution to your problem?
actually, in our project we have to use cassendra with Zend Framework. But I have no idea to how to go for this. If You have any Information please share it.

Thanks
 Deepti