Announcing the Zend Framework 3 Roadmap

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Announcing the Zend Framework 3 Roadmap

weierophinney
Administrator
The Zend Framework team has announced a high-level overview of their
plans for Zend Framework 3 today.

- http://bit.ly/zf3-roadmap

The plans include:

- Separating components into individual, versioned projects.
- Updating the existing full-stack MVC framework to depend on the newly
  independent components for better reuse and simplicity. ZF2 MVC
  applications will have a documented upgrade path to ZF3 requiring
  minimal changes.
- Embracing middleware runtime patterns as a lighter weight
  alternative to the enterprise MVC framework stack.
- Enabling Apigility to work as a middleware stack, for better
  performance and simplicity, with the same streamlined, powerful user
  experience.
- Optimizing for PHP 7, but supporting PHP 5.5 onwards.

Read the full announcement for more details, and keep an eye on the Zend
Framework blog for future posts that dive into technical details.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
Principal Engineer
Project Lead, Zend Framework and Apigility
[hidden email]
http://framework.zend.com
http://apigility.org
PGP key: http://framework.zend.com/zf-matthew-pgp-key.asc
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Announcing the Zend Framework 3 Roadmap

Ralf Eggert
Hi Matthew,

Great news! Really looking forward to it. I hope you provide additional
details about how the community can help on ZF3.

Thanks and best regards,

Ralf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Announcing the Zend Framework 3 Roadmap

weierophinney
Administrator
On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 2:14 PM, Ralf Eggert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Great news! Really looking forward to it. I hope you provide additional
> details about how the community can help on ZF3.

We're working on follow-up posts to dive into more technical detail on
the roadmap.

For now, the focus is getting 2.4 out the door. 2.4 will be a Long
Term Support offering, and the last release with the current
structure. Once 2.4 is complete, we'll be performing the work
necessary to split the components into their own repos, complete with
tests, CI setup, etc. At that point, we'll tag each at 2.5, and they
will be able to evolve separately -- and we can start the real work on
ZF3.

Some of the features noted -- HTTP messages and middleware -- we've
already begun, and we have prototypes working, but are waiting to push
into the zendframework organization until PSR-7 is ratified. Hopefully
that will happen in the next 1-2 months. :)

Keep posted for more details; I'll link to any blog posts we write on this list.


--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
Principal Engineer
Project Lead, Zend Framework and Apigility
[hidden email]
http://framework.zend.com
http://apigility.org
PGP key: http://framework.zend.com/zf-matthew-pgp-key.asc
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Announcing the Zend Framework 3 Roadmap

Raphael de Almeida
Great job Matthew,

I've followed your blog and took a look on Conduit. Do you want implement something similar on ZF3?

When the job begins, you can count on me.


On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 6:49 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 2:14 PM, Ralf Eggert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Great news! Really looking forward to it. I hope you provide additional
> details about how the community can help on ZF3.

We're working on follow-up posts to dive into more technical detail on
the roadmap.

For now, the focus is getting 2.4 out the door. 2.4 will be a Long
Term Support offering, and the last release with the current
structure. Once 2.4 is complete, we'll be performing the work
necessary to split the components into their own repos, complete with
tests, CI setup, etc. At that point, we'll tag each at 2.5, and they
will be able to evolve separately -- and we can start the real work on
ZF3.

Some of the features noted -- HTTP messages and middleware -- we've
already begun, and we have prototypes working, but are waiting to push
into the zendframework organization until PSR-7 is ratified. Hopefully
that will happen in the next 1-2 months. :)

Keep posted for more details; I'll link to any blog posts we write on this list.


--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
Principal Engineer
Project Lead, Zend Framework and Apigility
[hidden email]
http://framework.zend.com
http://apigility.org
PGP key: http://framework.zend.com/zf-matthew-pgp-key.asc



--
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Announcing the Zend Framework 3 Roadmap

harikt
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
In reply to this post by weierophinney
Hi,

Good Job to split components to separate repos :-) .

We're working on follow-up posts to dive into more technical detail on
the roadmap.

Looking forward for the earlier post have no major road maps how to contribute.
 
For now, the focus is getting 2.4 out the door. 2.4 will be a Long
Term Support offering, and the last release with the current
structure. Once 2.4 is complete, we'll be performing the work
necessary to split the components into their own repos, complete with
tests, CI setup, etc. At that point, we'll tag each at 2.5, and they
will be able to evolve separately -- and we can start the real work on
ZF3.

Great, and good to know. I wish this could have been added in the earlier post, so people get some good idea.
 
Some of the features noted -- HTTP messages and middleware -- we've
already begun, and we have prototypes working, but are waiting to push
into the zendframework organization until PSR-7 is ratified.

Oh so conduit, phly/http will be moved to here ? :-) .
 
Hopefully
that will happen in the next 1-2 months. :)

Nice. Good work guys! 

Hari K T

You can ring me : +91 9388 75 8821

Skype  : kthari85
Twitter : harikt
Hari K T http://harikt.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Announcing the Zend Framework 3 Roadmap

Ralf Eggert
In reply to this post by weierophinney
Hi Matthew,

> Read the full announcement for more details, and keep an eye on the Zend
> Framework blog for future posts that dive into technical details.

I am really curious about these future postst regarding the technical
details. Any idea when they will be postet?

I am really looking forward to hear more details about the plans.

Thanks and best regards,

Ralf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Announcing the Zend Framework 3 Roadmap

weierophinney
Administrator
On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 1:32 PM, Ralf Eggert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Read the full announcement for more details, and keep an eye on the Zend
>> Framework blog for future posts that dive into technical details.
>
> I am really curious about these future postst regarding the technical
> details. Any idea when they will be postet?
>
> I am really looking forward to hear more details about the plans.

You can read one now... as it was posted BEFORE the ZF3 announcement:

- https://mwop.net/blog/2015-01-08-on-http-middleware-and-psr-7.html

and its followup, which details PSR-7:

- https://mwop.net/blog/2015-01-26-psr-7-by-example.html

Unfortunately, I've been traveling, and have more travels this week. I
should be getting posts queued properly next week, however.


--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
Principal Engineer
Project Lead, Zend Framework and Apigility
[hidden email]
http://framework.zend.com
http://apigility.org
PGP key: http://framework.zend.com/zf-matthew-pgp-key.asc