Almost ready for 2.3.0!

Hey, everyone!

We're down to the last few pull requests and issues before we're ready
to tag 2.3.0. If you can, I'd really appreciate it if you'd test your
apps against the develop branch of ZF2 ("dev-develop" or "~2.3-dev" if
you use composer), and let us know ASAP if you see any show stoppers.

Thanks in advance, and here's hoping to a smooth 2.3.0 rollout!

Re: Almost ready for 2.3.0!

Ralf Eggert
Hi Matthew,

> Hey, everyone!
>
> We're down to the last few pull requests and issues before we're ready
> to tag 2.3.0. If you can, I'd really appreciate it if you'd test your
> apps against the develop branch of ZF2 ("dev-develop" or "~2.3-dev" if
> you use composer), and let us know ASAP if you see any show stoppers.
>
> Thanks in advance, and here's hoping to a smooth 2.3.0 rollout!

I just checked with a 2.2.6 based project and only had a little issue
with the Zend\Mvc\I18n\Translator::factory() method which does not exist
any more. But I guess this is a new feature and not a bug.

I will test a little further and write a note if I find other issues...

Thanks and best regards,

Ralf

RE: [fw-general] Almost ready for 2.3.0!

demiankatz
> We're down to the last few pull requests and issues before we're ready
> to tag 2.3.0. If you can, I'd really appreciate it if you'd test your
> apps against the develop branch of ZF2 ("dev-develop" or "~2.3-dev" if
> you use composer), and let us know ASAP if you see any show stoppers.
>
> Thanks in advance, and here's hoping to a smooth 2.3.0 rollout!

I promise I'm not trying to create another PHP version number debate -- just reporting my results. I'm running the current LTS version of Ubuntu and using standard packages -- I imagine that's a fairly common situation. I tried to install 2.3 on my test server to see how my application would behave, and Composer refused because my PHP version is too old. This surprised me since discussions about version requirement changes suggested that the framework was keeping to a fairly conservative course -- I must have missed something.

Anyway, please let me know if I'm mistaken about requirements or if the base version was bumped higher than intended... and again, I'm not trying to stir up old battles. Just facing the reality that, while I am eager to take advantage of new PHP language features, and I'm willing to step outside of standard packages for my own personal use, I'm also managing a project that is used by many institutions with conservative server policies who simply aren't going to move past PHP 5.3.3 for some time... so I'm probably going to have to stick with ZF 2.2.x for the moment.

- Demian

On Mar 11, 2014 12:47 PM, "Demian Katz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > We're down to the last few pull requests and issues before we're ready
> > to tag 2.3.0. If you can, I'd really appreciate it if you'd test your
> > apps against the develop branch of ZF2 ("dev-develop" or "~2.3-dev" if
> > you use composer), and let us know ASAP if you see any show stoppers.
> >
> > Thanks in advance, and here's hoping to a smooth 2.3.0 rollout!
>
> I promise I'm not trying to create another PHP version number debate -- just reporting my results. I'm running the current LTS version of Ubuntu and using standard packages -- I imagine that's a fairly common situation. I tried to install 2.3 on my test server to see how my application would behave, and Composer refused because my PHP version is too old. This surprised me since discussions about version requirement changes suggested that the framework was keeping to a fairly conservative course -- I must have missed something.
>
> Anyway, please let me know if I'm mistaken about requirements or if the base version was bumped higher than intended... and again, I'm not trying to stir up old battles. Just facing the reality that, while I am eager to take advantage of new PHP language features, and I'm willing to step outside of standard packages for my own personal use, I'm also managing a project that is used by many institutions with conservative server policies who simply aren't going to move past PHP 5.3.3 for some time... so I'm probably going to have to stick with ZF 2.2.x for the moment.

We discussed this some months back, actually (in November):

http://zend-framework-community.634137.n4.nabble.com/Query-Should-ZF2-bump-the-minimum-required-PHP-version-td4661158.html#a4661236

The decision I ended up making was to bump to 5.3.23 STARTING WITH 2.3.0, for a variety of compelling reasons:

- 5.3.9+ have fixes that allow a class to implement multiple interfaces that define the same method, so long as the signatures are the same. Without this functionality, having separated interfaces is impossible, and we have increasingly found that, in the name of proper compartmentalization and segregation of components, this needs to be done. For a concrete example, it allows us to have separate TranslatorInterface definitions in different components, but a single implementation for the MVC that satisfies all of them.

- 5.3.23 contains a bugfix for ArrayObject that fixes a number of dereferencing issues we've observed particularly in Zend\Session - stuff that we simply cannot fix in userland.

- Zend Server is providing LTS support for PHP 5.3, and is already at 5.3.26+ at this point, giving people on legacy distributions the ability to upgrade to a newer PHP 5.3 version if they need to update to ZF 2.3+.

As reported in the email thread above, we have plenty of precedence for upping the minimum supported PHP version in ZF; we've done so 3 separate times in ZF1 alone at this point. We try to do it only at minor version bumps (not maintenance releases), and only when it solves maintenance issues that are too difficult or brittle for us to fix in userland.

I hope that answers your questions! I realize that the change will not be welcome by everyone, but the rationale for the change is solid.

Re: [fw-general] Almost ready for 2.3.0!

Artur Bodera

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 7:55 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]> wrote:
The decision I ended up making was to bump to 5.3.23 STARTING WITH 2.3.0,
for a variety of compelling reasons:

There's also a bunch of DateTime bugs which you don't want to run into with earlier 5.3.* versions.

Art.

RE: [fw-general] Almost ready for 2.3.0!

demiankatz
> I hope that answers your questions! I realize that the change will not be
> welcome by everyone, but the rationale for the change is solid.

This is reasonable, and we certainly have to move forward sooner or later -- but for now I won't be able to, so put me on the list of people hoping for continued support of 2.2.x for the foreseeable future. I assume that was probably on your agenda anyway, though! :-)

thanks,
Demian

On Mar 11, 2014 2:22 PM, "Demian Katz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I hope that answers your questions! I realize that the change will not be
> > welcome by everyone, but the rationale for the change is solid.
>
> This is reasonable, and we certainly have to move forward sooner or later -- but for now I won't be able to, so put me on the list of people hoping for continued support of 2.2.x for the foreseeable future. I assume that was probably on your agenda anyway, though! :-)

Only security fixes, and only until 2.4.0 is released (which will likely be Q3 or Q4 of this year).

RE: [fw-general] Almost ready for 2.3.0!

Tim Fountain-2
On 11 March 2014 19:22, Demian Katz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I hope that answers your questions! I realize that the change will not be
> welcome by everyone, but the rationale for the change is solid.

This is reasonable, and we certainly have to move forward sooner or later -- but for now I won't be able to

The next Ubuntu LTS release (which will ship with PHP 5.5) is only a few weeks away, so you shouldn't have to wait for long.

--
Tim Fountain
http://tfountain.co.uk/