Almost ready for 2.3.0!

12

Almost ready for 2.3.0!

Hey, everyone!

We're down to the last few pull requests and issues before we're ready
to tag 2.3.0. If you can, I'd really appreciate it if you'd test your
apps against the develop branch of ZF2 ("dev-develop" or "~2.3-dev" if
you use composer), and let us know ASAP if you see any show stoppers.

Thanks in advance, and here's hoping to a smooth 2.3.0 rollout!

List: [hidden email]

Re: Almost ready for 2.3.0!

Artur Bodera
On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 9:24 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Thanks in advance, and here's hoping to a smooth 2.3.0 rollout!

Two minor ones:

I've found a possible regression in
https://github.com/zendframework/zf2/pull/5720

And found a bug in named value params in console routing, will send a PR
today.

+48 695 600 936
http://thinkscape.pro

Re: Almost ready for 2.3.0!

Artur Bodera
Matt - I'm also wondering if we could tag ZFTool as 1.0 (ideally after we pull
in #66 <https://github.com/zendframework/ZFTool/pull/66> which refactors
against ZendDiagnostics which is now at 1.0).

It would go nicely with 2.3 :-)

+48 695 600 936
http://thinkscape.pro

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 7:54 AM, Artur Bodera <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 9:24 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>>
>> Thanks in advance, and here's hoping to a smooth 2.3.0 rollout!
>>

> Two minor ones:
>
> I've found a possible regression in
> https://github.com/zendframework/zf2/pull/5720
>
> And found a bug in named value params in console routing, will send a PR
> today.

> +48 695 600 936
> http://thinkscape.pro

Re: Almost ready for 2.3.0!

Norbert Máté
Hi all,
   I think I also found one:
https://github.com/zendframework/zf2/issues/5942

Regards,
Norbert.

On 11 March 2014 08:56, Artur Bodera <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Matt - I'm also wondering if we could tag ZFTool as 1.0 (ideally after we
> pull
> in #66 <https://github.com/zendframework/ZFTool/pull/66> which refactors
> against ZendDiagnostics which is now at 1.0).
>
> It would go nicely with 2.3 :-)

> +48 695 600 936
> http://thinkscape.pro
>

> On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 7:54 AM, Artur Bodera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 9:24 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <
> [hidden email]
> > > wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance, and here's hoping to a smooth 2.3.0 rollout!
> >>

> > Two minor ones:
> >
> > I've found a possible regression in
> > https://github.com/zendframework/zf2/pull/5720
> >
> > And found a bug in named value params in console routing, will send a PR
> > today.
> >

> > --
> > [hidden email]
> > +48 695 600 936
> > http://thinkscape.pro

Re: Almost ready for 2.3.0!

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 3:29 AM, Norbert Máté <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I think I also found one:
> https://github.com/zendframework/zf2/issues/5942

Yes -- this is the same as Ralf was reporting earlier in the thread as
well. We'll make sure this gets dealt with prior to tagging.

Thanks for all the testing, everybody!

> On 11 March 2014 08:56, Artur Bodera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Matt - I'm also wondering if we could tag ZFTool as 1.0 (ideally after we
>> pull
>> in #66 <https://github.com/zendframework/ZFTool/pull/66> which refactors
>> against ZendDiagnostics which is now at 1.0).
>>
>> It would go nicely with 2.3 :-)
>>

>> --
>> [hidden email]
>> +48 695 600 936
>> http://thinkscape.pro
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 7:54 AM, Artur Bodera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 9:24 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <
>> [hidden email]

>> > Two minor ones:
>> >
>> > I've found a possible regression in
>> > https://github.com/zendframework/zf2/pull/5720
>> >
>> > And found a bug in named value params in console routing, will send a PR
>> > today.
>> >

>> > --
>> > [hidden email]
>> > +48 695 600 936
>> > http://thinkscape.pro

List: [hidden email]

Re: Almost ready for 2.3.0!

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 9:38 AM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 3:29 AM, Norbert Máté <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>    I think I also found one:
>> https://github.com/zendframework/zf2/issues/5942
>
> Yes -- this is the same as Ralf was reporting earlier in the thread as
> well. We'll make sure this gets dealt with prior to tagging.

This is now addressed -- Norbert and Ralf -- can you each test again for me? :)

>> On 11 March 2014 08:56, Artur Bodera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Matt - I'm also wondering if we could tag ZFTool as 1.0 (ideally after we
>>> pull
>>> in #66 <https://github.com/zendframework/ZFTool/pull/66> which refactors
>>> against ZendDiagnostics which is now at 1.0).
>>>
>>> It would go nicely with 2.3 :-)
>>>

>>> --
>>> [hidden email]
>>> +48 695 600 936
>>> http://thinkscape.pro

>>> [hidden email]

> --
> Matthew Weier O'Phinney

List: [hidden email]

Re: Almost ready for 2.3.0!

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 1:54 AM, Artur Bodera <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 9:24 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>> Thanks in advance, and here's hoping to a smooth 2.3.0 rollout!
>>

> Two minor ones:
>
> I've found a possible regression in
> https://github.com/zendframework/zf2/pull/5720

Looks like this was just a bad test; I've merged the corrected tests
now to develop.

> And found a bug in named value params in console routing, will send a PR
> today.

Waiting... :)

List: [hidden email]

RE: Almost ready for 2.3.0!

demiankatz
> We're down to the last few pull requests and issues before we're ready
> to tag 2.3.0. If you can, I'd really appreciate it if you'd test your
> apps against the develop branch of ZF2 ("dev-develop" or "~2.3-dev" if
> you use composer), and let us know ASAP if you see any show stoppers.
>
> Thanks in advance, and here's hoping to a smooth 2.3.0 rollout!

I promise I'm not trying to create another PHP version number debate -- just reporting my results. I'm running the current LTS version of Ubuntu and using standard packages -- I imagine that's a fairly common situation. I tried to install 2.3 on my test server to see how my application would behave, and Composer refused because my PHP version is too old. This surprised me since discussions about version requirement changes suggested that the framework was keeping to a fairly conservative course -- I must have missed something.

Anyway, please let me know if I'm mistaken about requirements or if the base version was bumped higher than intended... and again, I'm not trying to stir up old battles. Just facing the reality that, while I am eager to take advantage of new PHP language features, and I'm willing to step outside of standard packages for my own personal use, I'm also managing a project that is used by many institutions with conservative server policies who simply aren't going to move past PHP 5.3.3 for some time... so I'm probably going to have to stick with ZF 2.2.x for the moment.

- Demian

RE: Almost ready for 2.3.0!

On Mar 11, 2014 12:47 PM, "Demian Katz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > We're down to the last few pull requests and issues before we're ready
> > to tag 2.3.0. If you can, I'd really appreciate it if you'd test your
> > apps against the develop branch of ZF2 ("dev-develop" or "~2.3-dev" if
> > you use composer), and let us know ASAP if you see any show stoppers.
> >
> > Thanks in advance, and here's hoping to a smooth 2.3.0 rollout!
>
> I promise I'm not trying to create another PHP version number debate --
just reporting my results. I'm running the current LTS version of Ubuntu
and using standard packages -- I imagine that's a fairly common situation.
I tried to install 2.3 on my test server to see how my application would
behave, and Composer refused because my PHP version is too old. This
surprised me since discussions about version requirement changes suggested
that the framework was keeping to a fairly conservative course -- I must
have missed something.

> Anyway, please let me know if I'm mistaken about requirements or if the
base version was bumped higher than intended... and again, I'm not trying
to stir up old battles. Just facing the reality that, while I am eager to
take advantage of new PHP language features, and I'm willing to step
outside of standard packages for my own personal use, I'm also managing a
project that is used by many institutions with conservative server policies
who simply aren't going to move past PHP 5.3.3 for some time... so I'm
probably going to have to stick with ZF 2.2.x for the moment.

We discussed this some months back, actually (in November):

-
http://zend-framework-community.634137.n4.nabble.com/Query-Should-ZF2-bump-the-minimum-required-PHP-version-td4661158.html#a4661236

The decision I ended up making was to bump to 5.3.23 STARTING WITH 2.3.0,
for a variety of compelling reasons:

- 5.3.9+ have fixes that allow a class to implement multiple interfaces
that define the same method, so long as the signatures are the same.
Without this functionality, having separated interfaces is impossible, and
we have increasingly found that, in the name of proper compartmentalization
and segregation of components, this needs to be done. For a concrete
example, it allows us to have separate TranslatorInterface definitions in
different components, but a single implementation for the MVC that
satisfies all of them.

- 5.3.23 contains a bugfix for ArrayObject that fixes a number of
dereferencing issues we've observed particularly in Zend\Session - stuff
that we simply cannot fix in userland.

- Zend Server is providing LTS support for PHP 5.3, and is already at
5.3.26+ at this point, giving people on legacy distributions the ability to
upgrade to a newer PHP 5.3 version if they need to update to ZF 2.3+.

As reported in the email thread above, we have plenty of precedence for
upping the minimum supported PHP version in ZF; we've done so 3 separate
times in ZF1 alone at this point. We try to do it only at minor version
bumps (not maintenance releases), and only when it solves maintenance
issues that are too difficult or brittle for us to fix in userland.

I hope that answers your questions! I realize that the change will not be
welcome by everyone, but the rationale for the change is solid.

Re: Almost ready for 2.3.0!

Artur Bodera
On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 7:55 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> The decision I ended up making was to bump to 5.3.23 STARTING WITH 2.3.0,
> for a variety of compelling reasons:

There's also a bunch of DateTime
bugs<https://github.com/zendframework/zf2/pull/4318>which you don't
want to run into with earlier 5.3.* versions.

Art.

+48 695 600 936
http://thinkscape.pro

RE: Almost ready for 2.3.0!

demiankatz
> I hope that answers your questions! I realize that the change will not be
> welcome by everyone, but the rationale for the change is solid.

This is reasonable, and we certainly have to move forward sooner or later -- but for now I won't be able to, so put me on the list of people hoping for continued support of 2.2.x for the foreseeable future. I assume that was probably on your agenda anyway, though! :-)

thanks,
Demian

Re: Almost ready for 2.3.0!

Ralf Eggert
Hi Matthew,

Matthew Weier O'Phinney schrieb am 11.03.2014 18:45:
> This is now addressed -- Norbert and Ralf -- can you each test again for me? :)

I get this message:

  Fatal error: Call to undefined method Zend\Mvc
  \I18n\Translator::factory() in /home/devhost/v3.travello.com/vendor
  /RalfEggert/travello-library/src/TravelloLib/Mvc/Router
  /TranslatorFactory.php on line 39

for this code

  use Zend\Mvc\I18n\Translator;

  $translator = Translator::factory($config['router']['translator']);

Zend\Mvc\I18n\Translator used to extend Zend\I18n\Translator\Translator
in 2.2.x and now it implements Zend\I18n\Translator\TranslatorInterface
and does not implement a factory method any more.

I solved this issue like this:

  use Zend\I18n\Translator\Translator as I18nTranslator;
  use Zend\Mvc\I18n\Translator as MvcTranslator;

  $translator = new MvcTranslator(
    I18nTranslator::factory($config['router']['translator'])
  );

Thanks and best regards,

Ralf

--
List: [hidden email]

RE: Almost ready for 2.3.0!

On Mar 11, 2014 2:22 PM, "Demian Katz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I hope that answers your questions! I realize that the change will not
be
> > welcome by everyone, but the rationale for the change is solid.
>
> This is reasonable, and we certainly have to move forward sooner or later
-- but for now I won't be able to, so put me on the list of people hoping
for continued support of 2.2.x for the foreseeable future. I assume that
was probably on your agenda anyway, though! :-)

Only security fixes, and only until 2.4.0 is released (which will likely be
Q3 or Q4 of this year).

Re: Almost ready for 2.3.0!

On Mar 11, 2014 4:08 PM, "Ralf Eggert" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Matthew Weier O'Phinney schrieb am 11.03.2014 18:45:
> > This is now addressed -- Norbert and Ralf -- can you each test again
for me? :)

> I get this message:
>
>   Fatal error: Call to undefined method Zend\Mvc
>   \I18n\Translator::factory() in /home/devhost/v3.travello.com/vendor
>   /RalfEggert/travello-library/src/TravelloLib/Mvc/Router
>   /TranslatorFactory.php on line 39
>
> for this code
>
>   use Zend\Mvc\I18n\Translator;
>
>   $translator = Translator::factory($config['router']['translator']);
>
> Zend\Mvc\I18n\Translator used to extend Zend\I18n\Translator\Translator
> in 2.2.x and now it implements Zend\I18n\Translator\TranslatorInterface
> and does not implement a factory method any more.
>
> I solved this issue like this:
>
>   use Zend\I18n\Translator\Translator as I18nTranslator;
>   use Zend\Mvc\I18n\Translator as MvcTranslator;
>
>   $translator = new MvcTranslator(
>     I18nTranslator::factory($config['router']['translator'])
>   );

That's a good point, and I'll make sure to point it out in the release
notes. The MvcTranslator is generally only expected to be pulled from the
ServiceManager, and rarely instantiated directly, which is why we made the
change. However, that assumption is clearly not entirely true, so we'll
need to call out the change in constructor for use cases like yours.

Re: Almost ready for 2.3.0!

Norbert Máté
Now I can't update zf2 using composer.
I didn't change anything in the composer.json. Yesterday the update worked.
Here is the output:

Updating dependencies (including require-dev)
  - Removing zendframework/zendframework (2.2.6)
  - Installing zendframework/zendframework (dev-develop e6ecdf9)
    Cloning e6ecdf95c7d7cd7e24f431c54bb52779a1ef9130
Failed to download zendframework/zendframework from source: The process
"git clone --no-checkout 'git://github.com/zendframework/zf2.git'
'/disk2/www/beyazpano/vendor/zendframework/zendframework' && cd
'/disk2/www/beyazpano/vendor/zendframework/zendframework' && git remote add
composer 'git://github.com/zendframework/zf2.git' && git fetch composer"
exceeded the timeout of 300 seconds.

This is my composer.json:
"require": {
        "php": ">=5.4",
        "aws/aws-sdk-php": "2.4.2",
        "zendframework/zendframework": "~2.3-dev",
        "ocramius/ocra-cached-view-resolver": "1.1.*@dev"
    }

On 12 March 2014 01:29, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 11, 2014 4:08 PM, "Ralf Eggert" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Matthew Weier O'Phinney schrieb am 11.03.2014 18:45:
> > > This is now addressed -- Norbert and Ralf -- can you each test again
> for me? :)
> >
> > I get this message:
> >
> >   Fatal error: Call to undefined method Zend\Mvc
> >   \I18n\Translator::factory() in /home/devhost/v3.travello.com/vendor
> >   /RalfEggert/travello-library/src/TravelloLib/Mvc/Router
> >   /TranslatorFactory.php on line 39
> >
> > for this code
> >
> >   use Zend\Mvc\I18n\Translator;
> >
> >   $translator = Translator::factory($config['router']['translator']);
> >
> > Zend\Mvc\I18n\Translator used to extend Zend\I18n\Translator\Translator
> > in 2.2.x and now it implements Zend\I18n\Translator\TranslatorInterface
> > and does not implement a factory method any more.
> >
> > I solved this issue like this:
> >
> >   use Zend\I18n\Translator\Translator as I18nTranslator;
> >   use Zend\Mvc\I18n\Translator as MvcTranslator;
> >
> >   $translator = new MvcTranslator(
> >     I18nTranslator::factory($config['router']['translator'])
> >   );
>
> That's a good point, and I'll make sure to point it out in the release
> notes. The MvcTranslator is generally only expected to be pulled from the
> ServiceManager, and rarely instantiated directly, which is why we made the
> change. However, that assumption is clearly not entirely true, so we'll
> need to call out the change in constructor for use cases like yours.

Re: Almost ready for 2.3.0!

Marco Pivetta
On 12 March 2014 09:48, Norbert Máté <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Now I can't update zf2 using composer.
> I didn't change anything in the composer.json. Yesterday the update worked.

Hey Norbert,

Github had serious hiccups yesterday, so it may be that. You can either
retry with `--prefer-dist` or just increase the timeout if your connection
is slow.

This is surely not a ZF issue

Marco Pivetta

http://twitter.com/Ocramius

http://ocramius.github.com/

Re: Almost ready for 2.3.0!

Norbert Máté
Thanks Marco. With --prefer-dist is working.

Norbert.

On 12 March 2014 11:12, Marco Pivetta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12 March 2014 09:48, Norbert Máté <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Now I can't update zf2 using composer.
>> I didn't change anything in the composer.json. Yesterday the update
>> worked.
>>

> Hey Norbert,
>
> Github had serious hiccups yesterday, so it may be that. You can either
> retry with `--prefer-dist` or just increase the timeout if your connection
> is slow.
>
> This is surely not a ZF issue
>
> Marco Pivetta
>
> http://twitter.com/Ocramius
>
> http://ocramius.github.com/

Re: Almost ready for 2.3.0!

Ralf Eggert
Hi Matthew,

Matthew Weier O'Phinney schrieb am 12.03.2014 00:29:
> That's a good point, and I'll make sure to point it out in the release
> notes.

That will be ok for me if it is added to the release notes...

:-)

Thanks and best regards,

Ralf

--
List: [hidden email]

Re: Almost ready for 2.3.0!

Ralf Eggert
Hi Matthew,

I found another one:

  use Zend\I18n\Translator\Translator;

  AbstractValidator::setDefaultTranslator(
    Translator::factory($this->config['translations']['validator'])
  );

Does not work, since AbstractValidator::setDefaultTranslator() expects
the implementation of the Zend\Validator\Translator\TranslatorInterface
which is only implemented by Zend\Mvc\I18n\Translator.

Is this intended to pass the MvcTranslator instance from the
Service-Manager and add the translation texts to it rather than having a
special translator instance for validator messages?

Thanks and best regards,

Ralf

--
List: [hidden email]

Re: Almost ready for 2.3.0!

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Ralf Eggert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I found another one:
>
>   use Zend\I18n\Translator\Translator;
>
>   AbstractValidator::setDefaultTranslator(
>     Translator::factory($this->config['translations']['validator'])
>   );
>
> Does not work, since AbstractValidator::setDefaultTranslator() expects
> the implementation of the Zend\Validator\Translator\TranslatorInterface
> which is only implemented by Zend\Mvc\I18n\Translator.
>
> Is this intended to pass the MvcTranslator instance from the
> Service-Manager and add the translation texts to it rather than having a
> special translator instance for validator messages?

Actually, this has been true since *2.2.0*! In that release, we
modified the Validator component to define its own
TranslatorInterface. Zend\Mvc\I18n\Translator was introduced at that
time as well, and, at the time, extended
Zend\I18n\Translator\Translator and implemented the validator's
TranslatorInterface. The MVC translator would be what you would need
to pass to validators to enable translation.

As such, the above example would not have worked at any time in the 2.2 series.

List: [hidden email]

12