Quantcast

A Rant From Mr. Grumpy on ZF2

123

Re: A Rant From Mr. Grumpy on ZF2

Pádraic Brady-3
Looks pretty cool. A few suggestions:

1. Can we list perhaps a minimum of three commits (this might be outside a timelimit you're using though)?
2. Can you add the commit messages inline so we don't need to pass the mouse over links?

Paddy

Pádraic Brady

http://blog.astrumfutura.com
http://www.survivethedeepend.com
Zend Framework Community Review Team

>________________________________

-- Evan Coury <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Wednesday, 10 August 2011, 10:54 AM -0700):

> To supplement the wiki status page that Adam started on, I decided to
> throw a little tool together using the GitHub API to help give a
> picture of where exactly development is occurring in ZF2.
>
> http://zf2.evan.pro/
>
> It's not perfect yet, (it tries to guess the component based on info
> in the commits, and only tracks a list of hand-picked forks for now)
> but I have quite a few ideas on ways to improve the usefulness of a
> tool like this. I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Very cool!

One thing: Ralph, Enrico and myself have been working heavily on the
HTTP component... in feature branches. I'm not seeing this reflected in
the tool; is it only looking at branches marked "master"?

List: [hidden email]

Re: A Rant From Mr. Grumpy on ZF2

EvanDotPro
Paddy,

1. Done
2. Done, sort of. I now have it showing the first line of the commit
inline, with mouseover showing the full commit. With Matthew's
amazingly verbose commit messages, showing the entire commit messages
inline makes the page a little overwhelming.

Let me know what you think, and keep the suggestions coming everyone.

---
Evan Coury

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Pádraic Brady <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Looks pretty cool. A few suggestions:
> 1. Can we list perhaps a minimum of three commits (this might be outside a
> timelimit you're using though)?
> 2. Can you add the commit messages inline so we don't need to pass the mouse
> over links?
> Paddy
>
> Pádraic Brady
>
> http://blog.astrumfutura.com
> http://www.survivethedeepend.com
> Zend Framework Community Review Team
>
> ________________________________

List: [hidden email]

Re: A Rant From Mr. Grumpy on ZF2

Pádraic Brady-3
Would be great if more people used long commit messages - esp. as ZF2 is developed and the changes need to be adopted by early adopters/guinea pigs ;). I think the first line is enough though.

Pádraic Brady

http://blog.astrumfutura.com
http://www.survivethedeepend.com
Zend Framework Community Review Team

>________________________________

Wil Moore III

> Would be great if more people used long commit messages - esp. as ZF2 is
> developed and the changes need to be adopted by early adopters/guinea pigs
> ;). I think the first line is enough though.

Matthew is breaking the trend...what is wrong with:

git commit -am "changed something...figure out the details yourself buddy"
 :-J
--
Wil Moore III

Best Practices for Working with Open-Source Developers
http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ch19s02.html

Why is Bottom-posting better than Top-posting:
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

DO NOT TOP-POST and DO trim your replies:
http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php#toppost

Re: A Rant From Mr. Grumpy on ZF2

Bento Vilas Boas
Hi Evan,

Don't want to push things to hard, but a RSS feed would be great. :)

Best Regards,
Bento Vilas Boas

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 12:43:42 -0700, Evan Coury wrote:

> Paddy,
>
> 1. Done
> 2. Done, sort of. I now have it showing the first line of the commit
> inline, with mouseover showing the full commit. With Matthew's
> amazingly verbose commit messages, showing the entire commit messages
> inline makes the page a little overwhelming.
>
> Let me know what you think, and keep the suggestions coming everyone.
>
> ---
> Evan Coury
>

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Pádraic Brady <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Looks pretty cool. A few suggestions:
>> 1. Can we list perhaps a minimum of three commits (this might be
>> outside a
>> timelimit you're using though)?
>> 2. Can you add the commit messages inline so we don't need to pass
>> the mouse
>> over links?
>> Paddy
>>
>> Pádraic Brady
>>
>> http://blog.astrumfutura.com
>> http://www.survivethedeepend.com
>> Zend Framework Community Review Team
>>
>> ________________________________

List: [hidden email]

@Matthew

> One thing: Ralph, Enrico and myself have been working heavily on the
> HTTP component... in feature branches. I'm not seeing this reflected in
> the tool;

I just pushed a couple of bug fixes that were causing it not to
include commits if the user didn't have their name set on their GitHub
account. Also I originally set it up so that branches to components
are 1:1, so if one of your branches shows up under the wrong
component, that could explain why those commits aren't showing up
under the expected component. I'm going to change
branches/commits-to-components to be a m:m relationship which should
take care of that.

> is it only looking at branches marked "master"?

Actually, I specifically have it ignoring contributor's master
branches, under the assumption that most/all work should be done in
feature/hotfix branches.

--
Evan Coury

--
List: [hidden email]

Re: A Rant From Mr. Grumpy on ZF2

EvanDotPro
> Don't want to push things to hard, but a RSS feed would be great. :)

It's a great idea. I plan on putting together a couple different types
of feeds once I have the branch/commit/component mapping working a bit
more reliably.

--
List: [hidden email]

Re: A Rant From Mr. Grumpy on ZF2

-- Evan Coury <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Wednesday, 10 August 2011, 12:43 PM -0700):
> Paddy,
>
> 1. Done
> 2. Done, sort of. I now have it showing the first line of the commit
> inline, with mouseover showing the full commit. With Matthew's
> amazingly verbose commit messages, showing the entire commit messages
> inline makes the page a little overwhelming.

Some day, you'll thank me for those. :)

> Let me know what you think, and keep the suggestions coming everyone.
>
> ---
> Evan Coury
>

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Pádraic Brady <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Looks pretty cool. A few suggestions:
> > 1. Can we list perhaps a minimum of three commits (this might be outside a
> > timelimit you're using though)?
> > 2. Can you add the commit messages inline so we don't need to pass the mouse
> > over links?
> > Paddy
> >
> > Pádraic Brady
> >
> > http://blog.astrumfutura.com
> > http://www.survivethedeepend.com
> > Zend Framework Community Review Team
> >
> > ________________________________

List: [hidden email]

Re: A Rant From Mr. Grumpy on ZF2

-- Bento Vilas Boas <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Wednesday, 10 August 2011, 10:30 PM +0200):
> Don't want to push things to hard, but a RSS feed would be great. :)

The master repo has a feed already:

   http://git.zendframework.com/feeds/master.xml

> On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 12:43:42 -0700, Evan Coury wrote:
> >Paddy,
> >
> >1. Done
> >2. Done, sort of. I now have it showing the first line of the commit
> >inline, with mouseover showing the full commit. With Matthew's
> >amazingly verbose commit messages, showing the entire commit messages
> >inline makes the page a little overwhelming.
> >
> >Let me know what you think, and keep the suggestions coming everyone.
> >
> >---
> >Evan Coury
> >

> >On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Pádraic Brady
> ><[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>Looks pretty cool. A few suggestions:
> >>1. Can we list perhaps a minimum of three commits (this might be
> >>outside a
> >>timelimit you're using though)?
> >>2. Can you add the commit messages inline so we don't need to
> >>pass the mouse
> >>over links?
> >>Paddy
> >>
> >>Pádraic Brady
> >>
> >>http://blog.astrumfutura.com
> >>http://www.survivethedeepend.com
> >>Zend Framework Community Review Team
> >>
> >>________________________________

List: [hidden email]

Re: A Rant From Mr. Grumpy on ZF2

-- Evan Coury <[hidden email]> wrote
(on Wednesday, 10 August 2011, 10:54 AM -0700):

> To supplement the wiki status page that Adam started on, I decided to
> throw a little tool together using the GitHub API to help give a
> picture of where exactly development is occurring in ZF2.
>
> http://zf2.evan.pro/
>
> It's not perfect yet, (it tries to guess the component based on info
> in the commits, and only tracks a list of hand-picked forks for now)
> but I have quite a few ideas on ways to improve the usefulness of a
> tool like this. I'd love to hear what you guys think.

BTW... if you open source this, or throw it on GitHub, we could
incorporate it into the ZF2 section of the ZF website....

List: [hidden email]

Re: A Rant From Mr. Grumpy on ZF2

EvanDotPro
> BTW... if you open source this, or throw it on GitHub, we could
> incorporate it into the ZF2 section of the ZF website....
Of course, I plan on putting it up on GitHub sometime this evening if
I have a moment.

--
List: [hidden email]

Re: A Rant From Mr. Grumpy on ZF2

EvanDotPro
>> 2. Done, sort of. I now have it showing the first line of the commit
>> inline, with mouseover showing the full commit. With Matthew's
>> amazingly verbose commit messages, showing the entire commit messages
>> inline makes the page a little overwhelming.
>
> Some day, you'll thank me for those. :)

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I already do; often several
times per day! I'll go ahead and make it formal: Thanks!

--
List: [hidden email]

Re: A Rant From Mr. Grumpy on ZF2

Anthony Shireman
Is there a Zend/Service/GitHub component yet? If not... maybe there should
be!

That's a nifty tool.

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 5:23 PM, Evan Coury <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> 2. Done, sort of. I now have it showing the first line of the commit
> >> inline, with mouseover showing the full commit. With Matthew's
> >> amazingly verbose commit messages, showing the entire commit messages
> >> inline makes the page a little overwhelming.
> >
> > Some day, you'll thank me for those. :)
>
> I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I already do; often several
> times per day! I'll go ahead and make it formal: Thanks!
>
> --
> List: [hidden email]

Re: A Rant From Mr. Grumpy on ZF2

EvanDotPro
> Is there a Zend/Service/GitHub component yet? If not... maybe there should
> be!

There is this: https://github.com/raphaelstolt/github-api-client which
I discovered after writing my own watered down version. I will
probably switch it over to use Raphael's component when I have a
chance.

--
List: [hidden email]

Re: A Rant From Mr. Grumpy on ZF2

Sebastian Krebs
Hi,

As far as I can see it uses v2 (and for gists even v1) of the github api. I
don't know how useful this is. v3 [1] is already out

[1] http://developer.github.com/v3/

2011/8/11 Evan Coury <[hidden email]>

> > Is there a Zend/Service/GitHub component yet? If not... maybe there
> should
> > be!
>
> There is this: https://github.com/raphaelstolt/github-api-client which
> I discovered after writing my own watered down version. I will
> probably switch it over to use Raphael's component when I have a
> chance.
>
> --
> List: [hidden email]

Re: A Rant From Mr. Grumpy on ZF2

xoops
Nice!

Sent from my iPhone

On 2011-8-11, at 1:54, Evan Coury <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> To supplement the wiki status page that Adam started on, I decided to
> throw a little tool together using the GitHub API to help give a
> picture of where exactly development is occurring in ZF2.
>
> http://zf2.evan.pro/
>
> It's not perfect yet, (it tries to guess the component based on info
> in the commits, and only tracks a list of hand-picked forks for now)
> but I have quite a few ideas on ways to improve the usefulness of a
> tool like this. I'd love to hear what you guys think.
>
> ---
> Evan Coury
>
> --
> List: [hidden email]